Bobby Lashley Wants No Part of Brett Rogers

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
After Bobby Lashley whipped an overmatched Wes Sims at Strikeforce Miami, Strikeforce promoter Scott Coker said he wanted Lashley's next opponent to be Brett Rogers.

So when Lashley appeared on HDNet's Inside MMA and was shown a poll saying that the majority of fans want to see Lashley vs. Rogers next, that should make it a no-brainer, right? If Lashley's boss wants him to fight Rogers next, and Lashley's fans want him to fight Rogers next, he'll fight Rogers next, right? Right?

Wrong.

"I don't understand this," Lashley said. "Brett Rogers isn't the champ. You've got Fedor [Emelianenko] who is considered the best pound-for-pound fighter and you've got [Alistair] Overeem who's the champ. If they want me to go up to that level let's go all the way up to that level and fight the champ."

In other words, Lashley recognizes that Rogers is a step up in the quality of opposition, and in Lashley's view, it's the wrong-sized step. He either wants to take a baby step or a giant leap, and nothing in between. Lashley knows that Fedor is fighting Fabricio Werdum next, so he'd like to fight for the Strikeforce heavyweight title.

"I want Overeem," Lashley said. "Either let me fight the way I want to -- build up, get a few fights under my belt, work my way up -- or let me fight the champ. If it's fighting the champ I'll fight the champ."

I think Rogers would beat Lashley, most likely by first-round knockout, so I can't say I blame Lashley for not wanting to fight him. But for all of Lashley's talk that he's taking MMA seriously, he sure hasn't fought any serious challenges. Lashley seems to want to fight Overeem, and Overeem seems to want to fight nothing but inexperienced MMA fighters until he gets his own shot at Fedor, so maybe Strikeforce just needs to put those two in the cage with each other as soon as possible.
Bobby Lashley Wants No Part of Brett Rogers -- MMA Fighting

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Rogers would smash him. Lashley would have to get it to the ground quickly or else he would get KTFO

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why does everyone expect Lashley to take the same path as Brock? That kind of expectation is just stupid.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why does everyone expect Lashley to take the same path as Brock? That kind of expectation is just stupid.
Because people only see the physique and inherently link physique to talent.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i think everyone knows he wont get the same path. ive only seen it like twice on here. they are gonig to throw him easy fights to keep making money and hopefully make him better. it will be awhile before fabrico werdum antonio silva alistair(if he ever fights in the US ROIDER) umm fedor, rodgers. He will continue to have easier fights for the next year and a half

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
He does not disserve a title shot. His last win was not that impressive.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
strikeforce isnt stupid, they know this. they are just trying to make money off him. they are gonig to squeeze easy fights for him to win and have him fight close to the main event.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fastone Sports Talk 1
Menacer MMA 4
Cycle Logs 40
anabolicrhino General Chat 1
jmh80 Sports Talk 2