Miguel Torres: "This fight is going to send a statement to everyone"

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
On his training...

"It’s going real good man. I got the best grappling guy that you can think of, Robert Drysdale. I also have Scott Bieri and some of Robert Drysdale’s Black Belts. I have an Ohio State wrestler and a Purple Belt in Jiu Jitsu; just some of the best grappling guys that you can think of. They are just trying to make a gameplan to beat Benavidez. I’m watching tape and I’m looking at things that he does right now, but I’m just trying to make myself a better fighter. I want my grappling to be better than everybody’s, not just Benavidez. I’m not just trying to make a gameplan to win in March, but a gameplan that’s going to beat everybody. I’m here for another week and then I’m going to be heading to Boston, but I feel good man."

On his upcoming fight with Benavidez...

"I’m not overlooking him at all. He comes from a great camp. Urijah’s camp trains pretty hard. He showed some good standup in his last fight. He had an impressive knockout over Yahya. I haven’t seen him on the ground too much. I don’t know what his wrestling pedigree is, but I’m assuming it’s great considering he’s wrestled his whole life. He’s short, so it’s going to make him harder to submit; shorter arms, legs and a more stocky neck, but it will give me an advantage in the standup game. I think he’s going to want to stand with me. I foresee him eating a lot of jabs and a lot of my punches and kicks and I believe that will force him into a clinch or a takedown and it will be in my world again. So, like I said, I’m not looking past any of his abilities. I know he’s a tough guy, but I’m training real good and real smart with some good guys."

"I think this fight is more important than having a title shot or a rematch with Bowles. This fight is going to show what kind of fighter I am and show how I can bounce back from a loss. This fight is going to send a statement to everyone else that I’m going to face in the future."

On Bowles vs. Cruz...

"I think Bowles can put Cruz away if he catches him with one of those right hands, but other than that, I think Cruz is a better wrestler and he has good angles in his striking, so if Cruz fights a smart gameplan, I think he can walk away with the decision. I don’t see Cruz putting Bowles away, but I see him winning a decision. We haven’t seen Bowles touched yet, so it’s hard to say."
More in the full interview:
FIGHTHYPE \\ MIGUEL TORRES: "THIS FIGHT IS GOING TO SEND A STATEMENT TO EVERYONE"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MMA 2
VolcomX311 MMA 3
VolcomX311 MMA 0
AMTorres Cycle Logs 111
AMTorres Cycle Logs 4