Kenny Florian-Takanori Gomi Another Free Bout Offered By The UFC

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Kenny Florian-Takanori Gomi Another Free Bout Offered By The UFC

MMA Junkie is reporting that Kenny Florian will indeed fight former Pride lightweight champion Takanori Gomi at UFC Fight Night 21 on March 31st.

Fight Night 21 will, of course, act as a pre-cursor for The Ultimate Fighter season 11, which will have Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell as opposing coaches.

Just ten days prior to this event, the UFC will make their debut on the Versus Network. That card is already stacked to the gills.

The main card will feature a light heavyweight bout between the UFC's hottest prospect, Jon Jones, and the man who was once considered the future of the organization, Brandon Vera.

Junior Dos Santos will look to continue his brutal assault on the heavyweight division as he goes up against fellow Brazilian Gabriel Gonzaga.

In another heavyweight showdown, two power punchers will look to trade bombs as both Cheick Kongo and Paul Buentello will look to rebound from their losses at UFC 107.

Rounding out the main card will be a welterweight clash between Anthony Johnson and John Howard, who have no love lost between them, and a lightweight tilt featuring Clay Guida and Shannon Gugerty.

Up until a few days ago Guida was scheduled to face Sean Sherk.

As if that wasn't enough, the fans will be treated to the Gomi-Florian showdown, Nate Quarry vs. Jorge Rivera, Lucio Linhares vs. Yushin Okami, Cole Miller vs. Andre Miller and Ross Pearson vs. Dennis Siver.

At the very least, five of those bouts mentioned above would make it onto a main card of a UFC pay-per-view, yet here we are getting to view those fights for free.
    Kenny Florian-Takanori Gomi Another Free Bout Offered By The UFC | Bleacher Report

I'm not sure how I feel about throwing Gomi such a tough opponent as his UFC debut. I'm actually rooting for the fireball kid, but I see Kenflo pulling this one out.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

It's a really nice free card, but kinda feel bad for Gomi. The Japanese tend to not do well in the UFC as is and this will not help to curtail this trend.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's a really nice free card, but kinda feel bad for Gomi. The Japanese tend to not do well in the UFC as is and this will not help to curtail this trend.
    Cage + Superior Wrestling of American fighters = Gomi will have an uphill battle. Granted, Gomi has fought BJ in a cage before, so he's not a cage virgin, but that fight didn't go well for him

This is for everybody else:

YouTube- BJ Penn vs Takanori Gomi [1/2]

YouTube- BJ Penn vs Takanori Gomi [2/2]

To this day, Gomi still has cardio issues and when he gasses.... that fight against Nick Diaz looked like a movie script.

YouTube- Nick Diaz vs Takanori Gomi part 1 of 2

YouTube- Nick Diaz vs Takanori Gomi part 2 of 2

I picked Gomi for that fight, because I wasn't familiar with Nick Diaz at the time, so I was blown away. I'm not picking the best examples to make a good case for Gomi... but BJ and Diaz are better fighters then Kenflo, so...
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.55%

this is a terrible fight for Gomi. I do not see thislasting long, before Kenny submits him
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I don't think I've watched any of Gomi's fights since Pride.

Has there been any reason to believe that his submission defense has gotten better?
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

Similar Forum Threads

1. Florian v. Gomi
    By AE14 in forum MMA
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
  2. -- Florian Vs Gomi Confirmed UFN 21--
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 04:11 PM