UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

Anyone actually paying money to see this?
I think Rashad is an exciting fighter but normally not worth the price without a title on the line. But since I've little to do this weekend I'll probably fork it out...

Evans
Hazelett
Lauzon
Miller
JDS
Volkmann (not a good pick)
Miller
Munoz
Ellenberger
Oliveira

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope, not gonna pay for it... I may however, watch it online though.

dirtydeweyjr

Awards
108 isnt a big enough draw for me. evans isn't money well spent in my opinion.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, just go to channelsurfing.net, there will surely be a channel there.

But I will probably just go to a BW's or something to watch this... Doesn't sound that interesting though, shame.

bleedingthrou

bleedingthrou

Awards
I really hope Thiago knocks him out, Evans runs his mouth so much.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
ill watch it at a local bar, but no drinking for me!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Silva is extremely overrated. His best win is against Jardine who is a only a fringe top-10 fighter. Rashad has a much better track record, more experience, and a better camp. I'll take him by TKO in round 2.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think Shad will go for the kill.

KO, 1st round.

Pitbull14218

Pitbull14218

Awards
I dont like rashad, but i think he will win... i would rather see him fight Rampage though, i hope they throw down this year!

Southrn

Awards
I have a feeling this will be rashad using more ground work/wrestling then a stand up fight. I'm going rashad by decision.

shawn213

Awards
I have a feeling this will be rashad using more ground work/wrestling then a stand up fight. I'm going rashad by decision.
You predicted correctly, but Evans dodged the bullet this time.

Southrn

Awards
You predicted correctly, but Evans dodged the bullet this time.
Yeah I had a feeling that he just didn't have the stand up to go toe to toe and rashad has been known to go to the ground when he doesn't think he can do his stand up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I had a feeling that he just didn't have the stand up to go toe to toe and rashad has been known to go to the ground when he doesn't think he can do his stand up.
Perhaps, we have another MMA mind here at AM. I love your insight, sir.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Evans head movement is superior to most.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
lol it was funny when he got caught. damn thiago out of gas quick.

on another note was this not the easiest card to call in awhile!!! almost as easy as fight for the troops!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
looking forward to some good cards in the future. Talk about Daley v. Kos also Florian v. Gomi, outside of the already established big fights.

statik

statik

Awards

Anyone actually paying money to see this?
I think Rashad is an exciting fighter but normally not worth the price without a title on the line. But since I've little to do this weekend I'll probably fork it out...

Evans
Hazelett
Lauzon
Miller
JDS
Volkmann (not a good pick)
Miller
Munoz
Ellenberger
Oliveira
Nah I just watched it online. Solid card but not worth the $ this month since I had nobody to split it with. I was glad to see Evans work over Thiago most of the fight and to get a huge laugh at Thiago throwing it all away when he actually had Evans hurt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had questions about Thiago's gas tank because most of his fights end within the 1st round. He's only gone to decision twice now and he definitely showed he has some room for improvement in the cardio department.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah i really wish he would have finished him but maybe now it will make evans vs page way better. I hope page dominates him.

who do you think will win rodja?

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
I thought Evans looked scared from the moment he walked to the ring until the second he got back into his dressing room. Was a big fight for him and it was funny to see him not be the one show-boating for a change.

I didn't really enjoy the main event at all, but the rest of the card was worth the price of admission. I hope Rampage puts Rashad to sleep KTFO style. He showed nothing in this fight to say that he'll be able to beat Rampage.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rampage has been known to be inconsistent with both his training and his performance. It's hard to say how the layoff will hurt him, but I'd say that it's even money for that fight. They'll both be very motivated and the talk up to this fight will be very entertaining. I would have to say that Rashad will take this.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I personally respect each fighter and their style but this was truly Guida-esque. cant blame rashad for not wanting to lose 2 in a row and not wanting to get KOd, but for a main event this was weaaak. I also dont think rashads wrestling is as world class as people hyped it up to be, he did get a handful of tkds but couldnt even keep Silva in guard or half guard?? thats not dominant wrestling, just good takedowns.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
lol it was funny when he got caught. damn thiago out of gas quick.

on another note was this not the easiest card to call in awhile!!! almost as easy as fight for the troops!
I was surprised for Dustin though, i thought he'd jump at a take down. Daley is calling out Alves. Dunno about that.
Stout was lookin good. Hope he keeps up the improvement.

shawn213

Awards
One thing that many people don't realize, when coming off a devastating knock out, playing the next fight safe is just a natural reaction for any fighter. Some people recover where others don't but Rashad had a game plan and that was to wrestler Silva and get a win under his belt as a confidence builder towards a possible future rematch with Machida. That's just being professional.

Aside from that, my hat goes off to both fighters.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
rashad did everything he could do not to fight...he was so worried about losing that he forgat it was a fight and not a wrestling match. Poor silva..he prolly thought he was gona get to fight, not wrestle...even rashad knows he bitched out...look at his eyes and how he tlaks in his post fight interviews...yeah he won...but silva looked better losing than evans did winning....and who cares about rashads head and body movement...anyone who knows about boxing and mma know that all his movemenats are wasted energy as it gets him nowhere...but when silva did it just bout koed his lil bitch ass. Rashad is now gona return to his lay and pray style that left him on the undercards for his first few years in the ufc....if he wants to wrestle than he should go train for the olympics with gsp...cuz its a true shame that wrestlers that are not good enough to compete with the other world class amatuer wrestlers have to flood and saturate a sport like mma and call what they are doing fighting.....htey are the exact reason that the pay is so low and people think some fights are boring..and i dnt even want to see him fight rampage because its obvious what he will do....lay and pray for a descision because he wont stand with guys that have ko power and tech boxing...let him rematch tito....
HUH!?!?

Head movement is something that is severely lacking in MMA. One of the paramounts of western boxing is head movement as it is not nearly as emphasized in MT, kickboxing, etc.

Silva can't bitch at all; if he didn't want to lose by decision, he should have trained his TD defense more. Rashad had a smart gameplan. It wasn't the most exciting way to win, but he did what he needed to do to get the win. Far too many people bitch about wrestlers in MMA. It's a huge part and is not going anywhere. In fact, the wrestling wave 2.0 is just beginning as the money has increased and many D-1 champs are training BJJ in their off-season.

lloyd5

lloyd5

Awards
if this was a five round bout silva wouldve won hands down but it wasnt so rashad got lucky in my opinion

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I was surprised for Dustin though, i thought he'd jump at a take down. Daley is calling out Alves. Dunno about that.
Stout was lookin good. Hope he keeps up the improvement.
Daley over Alves any day, I have a couple reasons why, I will let time show that.............

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
im not impressed with alvez either. id choose daily and not just because tho fat KO. i would have said this before.

rashad played it smart i would have done the same. he def didnt wanna stand with thiago.

I think the layoff and"mindfuk" will mess with rampage. hes an interesting guy. i really think he will screw up even tho i really want him to win.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
rodja..there is a big difference between head movement..that is effective .....and a bobble head...rashad is a bobble head!! and yes wrestlers are training bjj in the off season but its only so they can lay pray better..not become more submission efficient...and yes the money is there as rashad made 375,000... but the money comes from fans and sponsers and being a crowd draw......and rashad is no longer a draw as well as all the other wrestlers who lay and pray.... and silva had a gfood takedown defense...but he atleast tried to make it a fight...i could see if he just circled rashad and got taken down but he tried to fight and not wrestle....and wrestling will keep coming...but as well with the d-1 wrestlers are the world champion bjj artists and they actually know how to fight on the ground....for instance big nog and couture, or jacare and lindland..and i know silva is a black belt but not a world class black belt....that would be like saying all college wrestlers are the same...( when there is clear separation in the levels) and if the wrestlers keep fighting like rashad then the money will not longer be there...why do you think there is not a real pro wrestling league or organization...
You are all over the place with your argument. One lackluster fight in your opinion is the end of all of the progress MMA has made. The really, really ironic part of this is that two of their biggest draws, Tito and Couture, are far from finishing machines. I don't think anyone will say that they have hurt the sport. I don't think that anyone expected this card to be as entertaining as it was and there have been FAR worse cards put out there.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Daley over Alves any day, I have a couple reasons why, I will let time show that.............
Big Daley fans in the house.HA
He's new to me so I'll have to let time show that as well.

As far as Rashad and his wrestling, I thought this fight looked similar to GSP's last match. Maybe people were expecting a more ****y Rashad or something reminiscent of the Sugar/Ice man fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big Daley fans in the house.HA
He's new to me so I'll have to let time show that as well.

As far as Rashad and his wrestling, I thought this fight looked similar to GSP's last match. Maybe people were expecting a more ****y Rashad or something reminiscent of the Sugar/Ice man fight.
It's subjective hatred for Rashad. This has happened countless times in both MMA and the UFC. People grind out decisions all the time, but people are throwing a fit over this particular fight only because it's Rashad. GSP, Randy, etc. do the same thing and there's not a peep, but, because so many people do not like Rashad, they're calling him a blanket that stalls out to victory.

It's just typical living in the moment behavior. In two weeks, it will all be forgotten as the hype machine starts to warm-up for the Rampage/Evans fight, which I think will be on the Machida/Shogun card.

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
Everyone's bitching about Rashad tryin to ride out a decision... But i didnt see all this bitching with the couture/vera fight. That was WAY worse.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Wrestling is as much a part of MMA as any form of standup martial art. Granted for most its not as exciting to watch but if a fighter only has standup and cant defend the takedown then he himself is as responsible for a lay n pray fight since he cant defend against it. These fights dont hurt MMA, they may influence certain people not to watch as much temporarily, but these fights remind other fighters that they need to train wrestling/td defense which helps to make all fighters more well rounded.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and the reason their is not a peep when gsp and randy do it is because they throw more than one punch on the ground in 15 minute fight, and they work in the clinch instaed of hanging on for a takedown.
Exactly how many fights has Tito finished lately? GSP basically outwrestled Kos and Thiago to a decision. Randy's last fight was one of the worst main-events I've seen in a long time. You don't like wrestlers; we get it.

sowthespade

Awards
Daley is the man. I think before long with some more training hes going to work his way up to title contender

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no i just dont like wrestlers that think laying and praying is a form of fighting...yeah silva couldnt defend the takedown..butg rashad couldnt keep him down....and gsp actually fought on the ground...that is my whole argument about rashad...he didnt fight on the ground at all....except for scrambling to hold positons he would lose and throwing one punch....and as far as arguing randy and vera....that was both their faults as as randy struggled for takedowns but vera continued to clinch again and again when he was more than able to keep his distance and strike effectively....but hey a like kos, jon jones, king mo, melendez, hammel, and all the other wrestlers who actually fight....but i cant stand the ones who dont....like rashad who do not use their wrestling to win and finish fights but use it to fight in safety mode not to get beat.
Did you miss Rashad's fights against Lambert, Salmon, Chuck, and Forrest? Not much "safety mode" in those fights.

sowthespade

Awards
At the end of the day it comes down to who controlled the fight. Even if he lays ontop of him for 15 minutes straight he is still controlling it.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
exactly rodja. he had to do this to win. itsp art of the game. its thiagos fault. rashad has finished more fights then randy and tito put together in the last couple years. tito on finishes ken shamrock. for gsp i think its ok to get decisions because its 170 and there arnt to many Ko's as 205. his are really lopsided too.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
Anyone who tells me that fighters laying and praying is 'exciting' and 'there is a lot going on' when this is happening is blowing it straight out of their ass.

Iron fists has a point, Rashad did nothing in the clinch and nothing on the ground when he got Thiago there. Now I fully understand why the judges scored it the way they did, but the fact of the matter is Rashad fought scared, fought negative and ground out a win. Did he win the fight based on the current scoring system? Yes. Was it boring as ****? Hell yes. Is wrestling a valid part of the sport? Absolutely. Can it be entertaining to watch wrestlers in MMA? Hell yes it can. Just NOT when they use wrestling and wrestling alone to grind out a win, which is exactly what Rashad did. I don't believe anyone can argue the point that wrestling is the one and only aspect of MMA where someone can fight so negatively and win a fight in a manner where nobody gets 'hurt' as this is a fact.

I don't blame Rashad for doing what he did, I didn't enjoy the fight as I've said before. The one thing I'd like to see is refs doing more to stand up and break fighters when they are laying and praying either on the ground or in the clinch. There were two or three periods each over 2 minutes straight where Rashad sat on top of Thiago doing nothing or pressed him into the cage doing nothing with no break from the ref. That's bull**** as I paid to watch MMA and he needed to be at least attempting to advance his position which he did not do.

Rashad won the fight, but it was still boring as bat-**** and extremely one-dimensional. If that's his plan against Rampage or Machida/Shogun he's going to get his ass handed to him and as far as I'm concerned Rashad is the black Tito - another guy I'll never tire of watching getting beat up.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
do you guys think this would have happened in a ring? you never saw this homo lay and pray in Pride, for example. As soon as guys would get tangled up in the ropes the ref would start it back in the middle. I feel like the cage was designed for a wrestler. Ive done tons of training with my back against a wall, and no matter how good of a grappler you are it is very hard not to get taken down by a wrestler in this position. There is just nowhere to go and an experienced wrestler should always be able to double or pick up slam from here. On that note im gonna go eat half a bottle of ibuprofen and ice this blue balloon thumb i got.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
After another viewing this morning it looked as though the laying was not Rashad being lazy but a testament to Silva's ability for ground defense and then ability to return to his feet. Rashad's speed was very impressive in the first round. After the first taunt that Silva gave him in the second was when Rashad started to second guess himself for the rest of the fight. 1st round was very much an improved Rashad.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
rashad is gonna take it in my opinion. ya the PPV's are soo expensive, ill def watch on the internet as well.

shawn213

Awards
Wow no need to rage man. What do you have against Rashad personally? Do you actually think he cares how he won? What about the Machida Ortiz fight? Machida was on the retreat the entire night. What does that make him. Without calling him out his name.

shawn213

Awards
The majority of fighters in the ufc for the most part all stroke their own ego. It's called marketing yourself and unfortunately people will never understand the business aspects of being a fighter. It's far beyond the scope of what fans see on television.