Has anyone competed in the NAGA Championships?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
So I am going to go compete in my first NAGA competition and it just so happens to be the NAGA championships.....I've only been training in Jiu-Jitsu for a couple months, but am pretty good. We have a lot of high level guys in our gym and I roll with them a lot, always learning new stuff. It also helps that 99 out of 100 times I am stronger then the people I roll with, if they are close to my weight.

I am planning on trying to compete just in the Novice Division at the 160-169.9 weight, but might end up having to compete at 170-179.9 depending on how I handle cutting. I weighed in at 190 before I went to bed last night, 184 when I woke up.

Has anyone competed in this before? How many people should I expect in my division?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I havent done NAGA yet but from what other guys told me you might have 5 - 6 matches if you win. Novice division is probably going to have really short matches but you should still keep the cardio up.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
yea, I got like 6 guys from my gym coming to compete as well....Look for some of our guys to place top 3 in their divisions...the owner of my gym will most likely take 1st or 2nd in the top division....

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
True, my teacher won his blackbelt division last year. I think thats how he got these cool looking NAGA flip flops lol

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
bahahaaha!!! I want some flip flops!!!!! With this damn severe tendonitis I have, I can't even live roll now until NAGA. All I get to do is cardio and technique....fun...

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
oh man no rolling until the tournament, good luck man. maybe u can learn a bunch of new moves ahead of time.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I really don't need to learn new moves, just working on my technique should be enough. I'm damn strong for my weight class so, what I lack in actual skill I make up for in brute strength...... Should be an interesting experience...long as I don't get submitted I will be happy.

M15

M15

Awards
Train a lot of cardio. There is something about jiu jitsu matches. .. everybody is way stronger than nomal. I have done NAGA twice. won my 1st time then placed second my 2 2nd one. Best thing you can do is go out there to have fun and use it as a learning experience

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
yea...I am just kind of abnormally strong for my weight...My gym is heavy into jiu-jitsu and unless the person is very good...I have to roll with people over 200 so I can't throw them around as easily....

Eberly

Banned
Awards
So I am going to go compete in my first NAGA competition and it just so happens to be the NAGA championships.....I've only been training in Jiu-Jitsu for a couple months, but am pretty good. We have a lot of high level guys in our gym and I roll with them a lot, always learning new stuff. It also helps that 99 out of 100 times I am stronger then the people I roll with, if they are close to my weight.

I am planning on trying to compete just in the Novice Division at the 160-169.9 weight, but might end up having to compete at 170-179.9 depending on how I handle cutting. I weighed in at 190 before I went to bed last night, 184 when I woke up.

Has anyone competed in this before? How many people should I expect in my division?

yes, i complete this already.It depends on how many people like this.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
I havent done NAGA yet but from what other guys told me you might have 5 - 6 matches if you win. Novice division is probably going to have really short matches but you should still keep the cardio up.
you are absolutely right.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
yea, I got like 6 guys from my gym coming to compete as well....Look for some of our guys to place top 3 in their divisions...the owner of my gym will most likely take 1st or 2nd in the top division....
Great performance.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
yea...I am just kind of abnormally strong for my weight...My gym is heavy into jiu-jitsu and unless the person is very good...I have to roll with people over 200 so I can't throw them around as easily....
you are right