Wanderlei vs Sexyama

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wanderlei Silva, in a video posted to his official YouTube channel on Thursday night, confirmed his next fight would be at the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s debut in Australia.

He will face Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 111 when the promotion lands at the Acer Arena in Sydney. Akiyama first mentioned the bout at a recent press conference in Japan touting the UFC’s new “Undisputed” video game.

“I am so happy because it is the first event there,” said Silva with a huge smile across his face. “This is a great honor for me because I fight in the main event in Cologne, Germany, in the first event there, and I’m gonna fight in the first event in Australia.”

Silva (32-10-1) hasn’t fought since Germany in June, where he lost a unanimous decision in a 195-pound catchweight to Rich Franklin. Accruing a 1-3 record since joining the ranks of the UFC, the bout with Akiyama will be Silva’s first at 185 pounds, a move that will put him on a more level playing field with his opposition.

Considered one of the Top 10 fighters in the middleweight division, Akiyama (13-1; 2 no contests) will be making his second appearance for the UFC. He debuted in the Octagon at UFC 100 with a split decision win over Alan Belcher.
SOURCE: site is currently down, I apologize, notwithstanding: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9784&zoneid=2

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I saw this and I have to admit I'm very excited for it. Although I think Sexy should be fighting at 170.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
oooh this could be interesting. you guys think akiyama will try to judo toss and submit? or will he stand and bang

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oooh this could be interesting. you guys think akiyama will try to judo toss and submit? or will he stand and bang
Sexy got pretty face beat during his UFC debut when he stood and traded. I think he underestimated the face pounding strength of UFC fighters and I think the only way Sexy would allow himself to stand and trade with Wandy is if Sexy believes Wandy is washed up. I'm thinking Akiyama will try to Judo.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
If he can get inside yeah. Might have to trade for a few minutes. If he makes it through the first round he's got a chance of winning.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
does sexy not really cut weight? well i guess wandy didnt much either till his 195 lb bout. i think wandy's got this easy. I thought he robbed alan beltcher in that decision

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
akiyama by GI choke...oh wait gay ufc doesnt allow the gi nooo!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If Wand could avoid Yoshida's judo (gold medal at '92 Olympics), then I wouldn't think that Akiyama will pose a threat in that department. Wand's gotten KO'd more often recently, but it's not like those weren't to people with huge KO power. The huge factor is going to be the weigh-cut for Wand. He looked like ass against Franklin from a conditioning standpoint. I've never seen him look tired in a fight until that one and he looked spent at the end of the first round. For Wand to win this, he will have start mixing up his strikes again.

For the love of god, bring back the knees and VT shorts...

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
oh cool you can see the camera on the ref's head. rodja are there any clips of just that 1st person view from pride? i guess ill have to youtube when i get home from work

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sure there are. I have that fight saved on my HD and a backup HD. The "version" I have has the ref cam view.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
if wand loses id say he should end it right there. but I think he has this one.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
if wand loses id say he should end it right there. but I think he has this one.
Bite your tongue you Gawdless heathen ! J/K But it just makes me sad to think of Wandy retiring . One of the greatest ever and hands down my fav. Nobody really brought it like Silva did/will do at 185 . Just that , "f**k winning we gonna kill or be killed mentality " is so much fun to see . If looks could kill then every one on the island of Japan would have died during the Wanderlei/Rampage staredowns . Even still with Page there has always been something not quite as convincing as TAM , the rockstar in him maybe . ANYwhooo I'm nuthugging aren't I ? I think it's just cool as tits that Dana White is giving him little asians guys to beat up on again and so I'm calling Wandy wins Via BAD-GO-REELA Skull Smash Fatality and suddenly welterweight looks really good to Akiyama . And thats Today's Word !

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Some people would say Akiyama is a top 10er. Worse case he loses to a top ranked fighter. Best case he's put in the top 10. Its like Franklin's boat, yeah he lost but he lost to elite fighters. Not like losing to some guy moving up from the WEC *cough-amir*

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
lol! yeah i think wand never wants to stop fighting hes a bad ass mother right there. his crew might tell him he needs to hang it up. yeah i really dont think hes a top 10 but whatever. haha feeding him asian guys is hilarious. i really want him to have a FAT KO.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I mean Akiyama. He's like ranked #10 on some sites.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
If Wand could avoid Yoshida's judo (gold medal at '92 Olympics), then I wouldn't think that Akiyama will pose a threat in that department. Wand's gotten KO'd more often recently, but it's not like those weren't to people with huge KO power. The huge factor is going to be the weigh-cut for Wand. He looked like ass against Franklin from a conditioning standpoint. I've never seen him look tired in a fight until that one and he looked spent at the end of the first round. For Wand to win this, he will have start mixing up his strikes again.

For the love of god, bring back the knees and VT shorts...

Yes please bring back the VT shorts! Also in Wandys defense he did get his nose broken in the first round so breathing was hard for him to do although I still agree that working his cardio more should be a concern of his as well. I can see Akiyama clinching with him to try a throw and getting kneed in his face, thats what im hoping for a 2nd round KO by kness from Wand.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes please bring back the VT shorts! Also in Wandys defense he did get his nose broken in the first round so breathing was hard for him to do although I still agree that working his cardio more should be a concern of his as well. I can see Akiyama clinching with him to try a throw and getting kneed in his face, thats what im hoping for a 2nd round KO by kness from Wand.
It's not his conditioning routine that hurt him; it was the cut. Wand also said that he overtrained for the Franklin fight. The only other time I've seen Wand look tired was v Hendo II, but he also had strep and was in the hospital the evening before the fight.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
aw thats so lame i didnt know that. do you think wand would have beaten him? i hope the asian doesnt just get strikes in to count as points but dont do much damage cuz wand sure stays in the pocket.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
aw thats so lame i didnt know that. do you think wand would have beaten him? i hope the asian doesnt just get strikes in to count as points but dont do much damage cuz wand sure stays in the pocket.
I knew something was wrong when he had Franklin rocked and didn't swarm in for the kill. That was when I knew that the cut had a huge effect on him.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I love Wandy and want to see him start dominating again. To his defense he has not exactly taken cupcake fights! He has taken on the biggest names in the sport since getting into the UFC. I look forward to seeing him at 185 and think he will be brutal in that weight class !

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i hope so but at this point is his career i think nate Mar would be him.

hey rodja how did you score the fight with franklin and wand? wand says he think he won that fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i hope so but at this point is his career i think nate Mar would be him.

hey rodja how did you score the fight with franklin and wand? wand says he think he won that fight.
I had it 29-28 Franklin. Based on damage and trying to finish the fight, I can see Wand's point, but that's more of PRIDE-style judging.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah i had a tough one with that one i can usually tell better.