Fedor v., Rogers in Strikeforce

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just saw that Strikeforce announced Fedor's first fight will be against Rogers, in early November/late October. My assumption here is twofold: a) they want Fedor to expose himself - and not like Volcom does, mind you - to a mainstream audience before vying for the title, and; b) allow Overeem to recuperate fully and have one more match prior to fighting Fedor. Thoughts?

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
The guys at PEP BOYS are gonna sh!t themselves if Rogers beats the number 1 ranked heavy weight.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Nice ! Will go to the ground quick and Fedor wins by armbar or GnP me thinks .
Also , is Allistair going to be allowed to fight again ? Didn't he KO some woman at one of his training sessions ? No legal trouble over that ?

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Sam's club??? Damn my eyes. Could have sworn it was some auto part store. Well hell Sam's is shT ton more sophisticated. I owe him an apology.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4424933&name=mma

"Rogers, who worked at Sam's Club until recently, is a Rocky Balboa story"

Do you guys know if Strikeforce will be showing all their fights on Showtime like they did with Cyborg/Carano?
I read the first Fedor fight will be on Showtime = free if you have it. That also means that they'll be charging PPV fee's for the following events starring uncle Fedor Vladimirovich Emelianenko quite possibly

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice ! Will go to the ground quick and Fedor wins by armbar or GnP me thinks .
Also , is Allistair going to be allowed to fight again ? Didn't he KO some woman at one of his training sessions ? No legal trouble over that ?
Here's that vid

He got into a bar fight in Holland a few months back, along with his brother who is also a damn good fighter. He broke it and I think there was an infection afterward.

It'll be interesting to see how Rogers does against Fedor. They both like to crowd and explode on their opponents, but, of course, Fedor is much better in the TD/grappling component. In terms of sheer KO power, I give the nod to Rogers. However, I really doubt that Fedor will give him enough time to really get set and find his range.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
boy with this challenge I can see why Fedor went to strike force :rofl:

seriously, I am going to be rooting hard for Rogers, as outside of maybe Overeem, there is nothing of a challenge for Fedor in Strikeforce. It is just such a shame that it came to this fight.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Rogers did work at Sams club, but I think he was in the tire changing section b/c he talks about just throwing and rolling tires around all day. Fedor is gonna destroy him standing up most likely, Rogers has zero head movement. Maybe if one of them closes the distance then Fedor will probably hip toss him and then GNP.

LactoseLou

If Rodgers KO's Fedor MMA takes a super dooper blow. Would of been better if Fedor fought someone like Couture or Lesnar.

RagingApe

Awards
If Rodgers KO's Fedor MMA takes a super dooper blow. Would of been better if Fedor fought someone like Couture or Lesnar.
Rodgers is a very big guy, but Fedor should be able to dodge most of his dead on punches to the chin. we have all seen what has happened to the emperor on the verge of being knocked out, it's almost like a taunt, then he ends the fight his way

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
I cant post links yet, but about 6:21 into the rogers v andrei video on youtube is priceless! lmao.... I didnt really understand it though.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
A guy at my work said that not only will this fight be 3 rounds instead of 5, but that the WAMMA title won't be counted? Shouldn't strikeforce be selling any amount of hype possible for the sake of ratings?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
A guy at my work said that not only will this fight be 3 rounds instead of 5, but that the WAMMA title won't be counted? Shouldn't strikeforce be selling any amount of hype possible for the sake of ratings?
it probably wont need to go past 3 rounds dont you think? they shouldnt count the wamma title, this is for the strikeforce title which overeem holds as of right now. so im guessing the winner of this gets the title shot with overeem? who knows whats going on over there man

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
it probably wont need to go past 3 rounds dont you think? they shouldnt count the wamma title, this is for the strikeforce title which overeem holds as of right now. so im guessing the winner of this gets the title shot with overeem? who knows whats going on over there man

You're right they probably won't need 2 rounds. Just seems like Strikeforce could use all the hype they can get their hands on.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ima say rogers wins just because. i think it would be horrible for strikeforce if he did. i want fedor to stay undefeated not counting the eye cut or whatever.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I don't see how Overeem can fight in strikeforce/america! He looks like he is extremely roided up and would fail drug tests unless he clears his system. I see Fedor taking this to the ground-I would love to see Rogers get him in trouble and put up a good fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see how Overeem can fight in strikeforce/america! He looks like he is extremely roided up and would fail drug tests unless he clears his system. I see Fedor taking this to the ground-I would love to see Rogers get him in trouble and put up a good fight.
He probably is, but he also comes from a big family (his brother is also a HW and has a W over Couture) and is about 6' 3" and 235lbs. Alistair is 6'5" and is somewhere around 240-245 lbs. When he fought at LHW, he was very depleted and it destroyed his conditioning. He started fighting at HW permanently since '07 and has gotten much bigger since then. He fought in the '06 GP, but I can't find out how much he weighed when he fought Werdum. It's a safe assumption that he was walking around at 220-225 while fighting at LHW and that being able to fill out could easily get him to 230-235.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
it could but why wouldnt you use over seas. he does look way different and i think it would be very hard to look like that and do mma/kickboxing but it is very possible. who knows until you test him over there

Kegger

Awards
He probably is, but he also comes from a big family (his brother is also a HW and has a W over Couture) and is about 6' 3" and 235lbs. Alistair is 6'5" and is somewhere around 240-245 lbs. When he fought at HW, he was very depleted and it destroyed his conditioning. He started fighting at HW permanently since '07 and has gotten much bigger since then. He fought in the '06 GP, but I can't find out how much he weighed when he fought Werdum. It's a safe assumption that he was walking around at 220-225 while fighting at LHW and that being able to fill out could easily get him to 230-235.
In the K-1 GP last month, he weighed approximately 255 when he beat Peter Aerts......and he had no body fat whatsoever. I was very sad watching that fight. Peter is my all time favorite K-1 fighter and I really wanted him to win this year so he can get his fourth GP championship and tie Ernesto Hoost. Peter was 245 and in the best shape I've ever seen him, but Alistair completely man-handled him all over the ring.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Overeem is roided up big time. Fedor tried to hand him a bundle of flowers at the Crocop fight, taunting his physique of beauty. With 20% more strength, better recovery, increased speed he is difficult to beat. He won't fight in the U.S. Because he'll fail the tests.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he also needs to cut the digusting nasty ugly hair of his

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
i'll be there tomorrow night... anybody else going to this fight?

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I am fairly confident Fedor wins by submission tonight but I must admit he worries me some. He looks awefull fat at the weigh-ins especially compared to former pictures of him vs Coleman where his body hairs was cleanly shaven, you could see his six pack abs....he almost had a beach body. I have to wonder how many more fights he has left in him when he has become the "Pudgy One" and is not taking his diet and training so seriously. Perhaps he was on roids back then like many others?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Feodr has always looked like "a fat neighbor" not a fighter. He will win tonight, and do so dominantly. He will take Rogers down, and sub him within the first few minutes. There is no real concern in Strikeforce for him. Werdum? Overeem? Lets be serious.

This is a joke. I will say the rest of the card could be enjoyable. I am looking forward to seeing Mousasi

crowpass

crowpass

Awards
  • Established
Feodr has always looked like "a fat neighbor" not a fighter. He will win tonight, and do so dominantly. He will take Rogers down, and sub him within the first few minutes. There is no real concern in Strikeforce for him. Werdum? Overeem? Lets be serious.

This is a joke. I will say the rest of the card could be enjoyable. I am looking forward to seeing Mousasi
100% agree

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he was never on roids. he was like 223 -5 back then. this time he was 232. your body does that when your older. he prolly had near the same diet and workout routine. he was never a body building or got shredded. if he cut to 205 you would see a very differnt fedor. im excited for all these fights btw. i am excited to see werdum and the giant go at it i hate them both.

rammy222

rammy222

Awards
fight was sick. Wayy better than any ufc fights in a long time! The way his neck turned when fedor hit him was crazy haha

Beater

Beater

Banned
Awards
I predict that Fedor wins by knockout in the second round.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
card was good, not great imo. Shields (while talented on the ground) is terribly boring. Thank god Miller was doing something.

Regarding Fedor, I am not sure if I am impressed with Rogers or stunned by how sloppy Fedor was in the first round. Personally (I hate to say this) but there are a few guys out there who might give him some trouble. Fedor is a bleeder, and if he fought Brock (if Brock had the right game plan, a la Mir II) I think Fedor's face would look like raw meat.

I would have like to have seen Rogers open it up a bit, but he seemed a tad timid IMO. Either way, not looking forward to Werdum/Fedor.

I did think Mousasi looked good (although Soko is not very good), and would now be supportive of Hendo at 205 in Strikeforce to fight him.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Fedor fight, as you have expressed here, is a very difficult one to forge a sentiment about: on the one hand, he still finished his opponent with an absolutely ferocious knockout in the second round - again demonstrating his dominance against a top ten opponent; on the other, his transitions and top control on the ground were lackluster, at best, and he took a considerable amount of damage. I think we have all bought into the Fedor-mystique so heavily, that we feel slighted when any opponent, regardless of the caliber, demonstrates even glimpses of besting Fedor - even if that "besting" is less than a round in length. As an aside, I felt Fedor seemed disinterested in the fight itself. (And I say this being fully aware of his normal laconic and stoic self.)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What also makes Fedor's performance in the first difficult to analyze is that, historically, he "learns" his opponent in the first (or first five minutes in PRIDE). When I look back on Fedor's fights, and this includes everything from Hunt to Randleman to Coleman to CC, it appears as if his opponent is winning/will win, just until Fedor violently exposes a particular weakness in his opponent.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen so many Russians in one place.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One thing to remember, and somehow this was not ever mentioned, is that this was Fedor's first fight in a cage. He did look really sloppy while fishing for submissions. but you have to give some credit to Rogers for not getting caught early.

Honestly, the fight was over when Fedor landed the left hook in the first. IIRC, that was the first time that Rogers has ever really been hit and it took him out of the fight mentally.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
All good points but I have to be honest here. I think Fedor would get murdered by Lesnar although it will never happen and I'm just speculating. So, in that regard, I'm glad he didn't join the UFC because the world is a better place without THAT on C0ck Chestner's record.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah exactly i was going to scream if no one said anything about the cage. i was telling everyone that where i was watching. I think he did fine. rogers is young and had nothing to lose and did great. fedor being much smaller just had to wait. yeah someone like brock might give him trouble but that might never happen. i know fedor and rogers would own bigfoot silva and werdum who are top HW's there. IMO overmeen wont fight in strikeforce for awhile.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone point me to this on the intrawebs or PM me a download link. My DVR was nice enough to record everything but this fight.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Yeah this was Fedors first cage fight and on top of that Rogers kept holding onto the cage when he was pressing Fedor against it. At one point after Big John warned him for the second time he did it again with his hand on the opposite side of Big John and John did not notice it, this made it that much more difficult for Fedor to get out of some of those situations as fast as he normally does. That and Fedor has never fought anyone this strong before, there arnt many people in MMA that big and strong.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he will run through stikeforce contenders. rematch in a year possible.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I highly doubt he will ever fight Rogers again, Rogers would have to fight some top contenders and blow right through all of them to earn a rematch, Fedor vs Rogers II just wouldnt sell for strikeforce and would not make any sense for Fedor or M-1 to follow through with it. Plus he only has 3 fights on his contract so that leaves him with 2 fights left, one of them def will not be a rematch with Rogers.

For your viewing pleasure:

Beater

Beater

Banned
Awards
Thats how you get past that pesky scoring system right there.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
LOL! If you re-watch the fight on MMA-CORE you can actually hear the cracking sound of Fedor's fist on Bret's face. I missed that in the live event.

Bmac1775

Bmac1775

Awards
Fedor is not human!! Gotta love the way he looks like 235lbs of chewed up bubble gum yet is the badest man walking.