Very confused

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Alright well recently i've been wanting to get into MMA..however as far as training via weights go I'm very thrown off, everyone says something else, Strictly plyometrics? Or Plyos/weights but strength training i.e all compound movements heavy weights? Or I read explosive high reps on excercises.. ahh!!! Diet is just as heavy in calories as bulking I assume..but for the rest I'm lost.. With rest periods, type of excercises and all that above..if anyone could help :p

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Alright well recently i've been wanting to get into MMA..however as far as training via weights go I'm very thrown off, everyone says something else, Strictly plyometrics? Or Plyos/weights but strength training i.e all compound movements heavy weights? Or I read explosive high reps on excercises.. ahh!!! Diet is just as heavy in calories as bulking I assume..but for the rest I'm lost.. With rest periods, type of excercises and all that above..if anyone could help :p
What fight style(s) will you be training ? You should def. factor this in to any weight lifting you do because it will help tremendously with overall and especially functional strength . Good ex; Josh Koscheck who is a very decent WW almost never lifts weights . All the wrestling , Jui-Jitsu , boxing training he does keeps him in extremely good shape . I guess i kind of answered your question with another question but my personal preference is to let the martial arts training develop strength then if you feel a specific part of your body or aspect of your strength lagging , supplement with weight training . Food for thought anyway .

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Yes I was thinking the same, but if you added weights or just exercises in general such as plyos wouldnt it make you a better overall athlete..Well at the moment I've just been laid off so I've had to cancel my BJJ classes. I'm a striker though..I read this routine that was almost like a volume type routine.

Sample MMA Gym Workout Routines:
MMA Athletes Routine for Strength and Power

MONDAY
Power Clean - 3 sets of 3 reps warm up, then 3 t5 sets of 3 reps with a work weight, about 80% of a 1RM.
Bench Press - (medium theavy day)- (if med)- 3 sets of 5 t6 reps warm up then 3 sets of 5 with a work weight. (if heavy)- work up over six sets of 5 t6 reps tlimit set of 3 t5 reps on the last set. A rule of thumb puts a limit triple at about 90% of one's 1RM.
Squat - (light speed day)- one warm up set of 10 reps. Then 5 sets of 5 reps with nmore than 65% and nmore than 60 seconds rest between sets. Start with 60% . Apply 100% effort on every rep and deach rep as fast as possible.

WEDNESDAY
One Power Clean followed by 3 Military Presses followed by 2 Push Presses for 5 reps total per set - 3 warm up sets, then 3 sets of 5 reps with a work weight.
Deadlift - warm up- 10 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, then the same work weight for 3 t4 sets of 3 t4 reps. The Romanian DL or Straight Back Clean Style DL's are recommended. (On clean DL's use about 80% of your 1RM your first workout.)(On RDL's weight is not as important as doing the exercise correctly with strict form.)
NOTE: Because squats and deadlifts overlap the working of a lot of the same muscles, squats are not recommended the same day as deadlifts.

FRIDAY
Bent Row - 3 sets of 5 t6 reps warm up, then 3 sets of 5 t6 reps with a work weight.
Squat - (medium theavy day) same formula as BP on Monday.
Bench Press - (light speed day) same formula as Squat on Monday.

Which was that..but i also need to get my endurance up majorly..so would I do that on my off days 30 mins of running, but what about plyos then? which seem to be THE sport exercise, plyos on the off the days? i.e box jumps, plyo pushups and other various ones i'd have to make my own routine with but...then the question arises, is that over training? how many sets/reps do plyometrics need?

Coming from a bodybuilding background this is kinda chinese lol

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I know what you mean . Whether you practice/train MMA for recreation and to stay fit or if you are trying to make a legit run at a career , figuring out the best suited WO for you can a bit of a puzzle . Personally the list you have would be overtraining for me as i sparr recreationally and am not completely committed to fighting . If you come from a bodybuilding background I would suggest some fairly intense flexibility training . it will help in any aspect of ground game , especially the jitsu and some stand-up as well . For me it doesn't get much better than a powerful high kick to the head and that def requires flex . Also you might look into doing your plyometrics in a quickly paced circuit method . You'll get explosiveness that plyo really offers and some damn good cardio at the same time . Once again , sorry I can't offer more advice on the actual weight lifting aspect . Hope this helped a little as MMA training can be some of the most diverse and challenging . And fun ! Just keep you r strength as functional as possible if you plan on stepping into a cage . good luck .
PS Sucks about the layoff!! I keep my fingers crossed that we aren't going to have to do any of that .

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
dude dont bother lifting weights... i used to lift and decided that i should train mma i could dead lift 400 pounds weighing 165. and i went to a bjj class and got my ass handed to me buy a guy that was so small and skinny it felt imbarressing.. but then i realised technique beats strength every day of the week and i havnt lifted a weight since! keep in mind though u will stay somewhat muscular as mma training is pretty intense.. if thats what ur worried about..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try the Westside for Skinny Bastards routine. Anything sport oriented is where you should start and then tinker it from there. I also disagree about the whole strength vs technique (to a point at least); you can have the best technique in the world, but if you cant lock it up, then you're done (see Rampage v Arona; Arona didn't have the strength to break his posture and got slammed as a result).

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Arona still looked pretty strong visually. what was he trying to tell the ref when Page was in his guard?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
if you wanan keep lifting weight go real light and high reps you dont want to hurt anything. do cardio, stretch,ice, core.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I love lifting heavier weights for mma, I noticed a huge difference especially during BJJ. Stronger core is the most important thing I feel like, all the stabilizing muscles. Definitely helps when you need to squeeze to finish an armbar,kimura.. especially when running out of gas. My suggestion is to keep it simple (not too many exercises) just lots of squats, deads, dips, etc. There is a book by Martin Rooney an IFL coach, "training for warriors". Get that book it has a bunch of medicine ball movements, grip exercises and other things.

Do variations of exercises to help stability. For example Ive been doing dumbell floor presses with feet straight and slightly elevated, really recruits a lot of muscles that I feel during mma/bjj workouts. Ab wheel is great for core, sometimes ab wheel with rubberbands. One handed side deadlifts are great. Ive been compiling my own list of those exercises, trying to switch up my workouts. Just remember to rest a few days after heavy lifting and eat a good diet. MONSTER breakfast also helps on mma/bjj training days.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
If they had ended it that would have taken away such a sweet ass highlight slam for Page.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If they had ended it that would have taken away such a sweet ass highlight slam for Page.
True, but it should have been stopped.

Back to the topic. You really have to tinker with your routine and experiment. I hate doing light weights for lots of reps for MMA because I don't feel it helps the type IIx fibers used during a fight.

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Well i'm also recomping from a big cut, im at about 151 pounds right now and yesterdays work out was heavy deads, pull ups, t-bar, and some more pull ups haha.

Theres certain exercises I'd love to do..but I dont understand the rep ranges, etc for things like: sledgehammer and the tire haha

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I will say when I used to train MMA back in the day,.. my BB routine was virtually stayed the same. For the longest time it work great, but the intense training schedule of BOTH causing extreme over training. Combine both with a nearly full time job, and full time college,....its very hard to do both, and get good gains in both, but its do-able, depending on your schedule. Just mess around with your routine and diet to best accommodate the MMA training, and maybe think about limiting w/o's to power exercises, and fighting specific exercises only, like DB punches, medicine ball throws/ sledgehammers, weighted knees/kicks, etc, etc.

I can say on many of the guys I grappled who wrestled or grappled for years, I held my own with almost all of them, due to my hip/leg strength and flexibility, although my main experience was in kickboxing/muay thai, which works well with my size and height. I think its more of a combination of technique, then having the strength and speed execute and finish off what you are doing.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
damn 151. keep lifting. but make sure to take some time off now and then of lifting.