Swick or Kampmann Assured Title Shot

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
UFC 103's Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender for GSP
by Dann Stupp on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm ET

A UFC 103 welterweight bout between veterans Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender to challenge for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's championship belt.

During this past Saturday's, July 11, UFC 100 pay-per-view event, broadcaster Joe Rogan said he was informed by UFC Vice President of Fighter Relations Joe Silva that the Sept. 19 fight could be a No. 1 contender's bout.

Sources close to the fight have since confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) the winner will be assured a title shot.

The date for that title shot has not been determined, though. St-Pierre defeated clear No. 1 contender Thiago Alves via unanimous decision at UFC 100 and injured his groin during the matchup. Unless cleared by a doctor, he's medically suspended until January. And even if cleared, St-Pierre hinted during the UFC 100 post-fight presser that he might take some time off from competition to recover from the injury and a busy schedule.

The time off could also give the UFC some time to market a new contender. St-Pierre has recently defeated the three fighters – Jon Fitch, B.J. Penn and Alves – many considered the most likely to challenge for his title. He beat them all, and he beat them all in convincing fashion, which has left many wondering whether anyone could possibly topple a seemingly unbeatable fighter.

Kampmann and Swick will look to prove they deserve the opportunity.

Kampmann is 2-0 at 170 pounds after making the switch from middleweight following a September 2008 loss to Nate Marquardt. Kampmann was 4-0 in the UFC as a middleweight prior to the loss.

The Xtreme Couture fighter earned a split-decision victory over former WEC champion Carlos Condit earlier this year in the main event of UFC Fight Night 18. That win followed a January TKO victory over Alexandre Barros in Kampmann's welterweight debut.

Swick is currently riding a four-fight winning streak in the welterweight division after compiling a 5-1 mark at 185 pounds. In June the American Kickboxing Academy fighter earned a second-round TKO over Ben Saunders at UFC 99, after which he called out former champ Matt Hughes.

But prior to the fight, Swick told MMAjunkie.com he was simply looking for the biggest fights available.

"I'm going to go in there and try to show that I deserve a big fight in my next fight," said Swick, who found his way into the UFC via the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter." "I definitely think I deserve a big fight."

For the latest on UFC 103, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

source: mmajunkie.com

With all due respect to The Quick and Kampmann, who has any desire to see this fight? After GSP has thoroughly dismantled three very talented, very legitimate contenders in a row, I personally have no desire to see this fight: neither fighter is top ten, nor do either pose significant threats to GSP.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I think and hope swick wins. I still think martin stole a decision over carlos condint or whatever.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP would destroy Swick, I dont think it would be competitive

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP would destroy Swick, I dont think it would be competitive
Exactly, but; I can definitely see the UFC's predicament at the moment. I would honestly rather see a rematch of Fitch/Alves, and have the winner fight GSP. Even then, though, GSP would destroy the winner again.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
170lbs is a major problem for the UFC. There are no compelling title fights. They need to give GSP a few tuneups at 185 or a few fights at a catchwegiht of 180, maybe a Leben or Terry Martin type.

To keep him at 170 is a friggin waste

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, I agree. I saw some moronic comments on Sherdog about how GSP matches up poorly with the entire 185 division; maybe they were unaware he would mass-up prior to fighting. Given GSP's manhandling of a considerably large opponent - Thiago could pass as a MW, if we was taller - I think it is safe to say GSP can impose his will on the MW division given the appropriate time to gain weight. Looking at the MW division, the only poor match-up that I see for GSP is Henderson: Hendo has KO power, is a great wrestler, and is a fairly large MW - aside from that, I see favorable match-ups. In actuality, I think GSP matches up better against Anderson than does Hendo.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree on Hendo. GSP would have a hard time with him, and I think would ultimately lose to Silva. However, those 2 are the only ones I think could beat him at 185 right now. He won't fight Nate, and who else is there Maia? Maia's striking is terrible.

I have to admit, I grossly underestimated GSP. He is right now #1 p4p IMO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree on Hendo. GSP would have a hard time with him, and I think would ultimately lose to Silva. However, those 2 are the only ones I think could beat him at 185 right now. He won't fight Nate, and who else is there Maia? Maia's striking is terrible.

I have to admit, I grossly underestimated GSP. He is right now #1 p4p IMO.
Haha, I obviously did not! As per Silva: GSP, even after massing, would have an edge in speed and athleticism, and could easily put Silva on the mat. Lutter and Henderson both took the Spider down, as it is simply not a hard feat. I see GSP mixing it up on the feet, and then easily taking the fight to the ground; after that, their respective BJJ skills square each other away. Remember that Hendo controlled Anderson in the first round rather easily, and only lost due to a combination of gassing and poor execution - neither trait of which GSP suffers from. For me, Anderson could beat Hendo, but not GSP; and GSP could beat Anderson, and not Hendo.

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel bad for the winner of Swick / Kampmann. I don't think either has a prayer against GSP, but I would still find the fight interesting merely because I enjoy watching GSP fight. I say one more welterweight bout, let GSP bulk up to middleweight, and then give him at least 1 mw fight against someone who isn't Silva to let him acclimate. Of course everyone wants to see GSP v. Silva, but give the man some time to adjust.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I know everyone thinks neither fighter would pose any threat to GSP and its most likely true. But I would love to see either guy fight GSP. I enjoy anyone fighting him. And whether people agree or not, both these guys have been busting their asses to get a title shot. Swick especially. His record proves he's a contender. IMO he/both should take one more fight after though. Maybe fight Thiago Al.... something. I don't really remember :D
Akiyama should move to 170 due to his height. He's naturally 185 so it wouldn't be too hard and this guy could possibly make for an exciting fight with GSP. Anderson is way too big for him.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP's future competition is a bit of an enigma. I think it basically necessary to move up in weight, in order for him to find competition. It's one thing if GSP has merely defeated his opponents in his weight class, but in actuality, he has dominated in a "to hell with a rematch" type of way.

Football has the Heisman, Baseball has the Cy Young, I think its time GSP is up for nomination for The Fedor [award]. Again, coming out with a win is one thing, dry humped through the bicycle shorts is another and GSP has once again sent his opponent to an enema clinic to clean up.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
GSP's future competition is a bit of an enigma. I think it basically necessary to move up in weight, in order for him to find competition. It's one thing if GSP has merely defeated his opponents in his weight class, but in actuality, he has dominated in a "to hell with a rematch" type of way.

Football has the Heisman, Baseball has the Cy Young, I think its time GSP is up for nomination for The Fedor [award]. Again, coming out with a win is one thing, dry humped through the bicycle shorts is another and GSP has once again sent his opponent to an enema clinic to clean up.

He still lost the first BJ fight in my mind :)

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
And he is capable of fluke loses.

I say Swick beats GSP via GSP shaving his head the night before and cutting just above his eye and he hits himself when his fist bounces off Swicks face and doctor stopage from all the blood in GSP's eye though Swick is knocked out cold but too late.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes, exactly. If any of his recent fights were close, we would be saying, "Man, I want that rematch!"; that is obviously not the case. One thing you will notice about GSP, and a thing that affirms his will-imposing style, is that the Fitch, BJ and Alves fights looked the exact same despite being against three very different fighters. This means that, against the toughest competition at 170 in the world, GSP was able to fight his fight every single time, and completely eliminate any room for mistakes. That is impressive.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
no one has said anything about martin......i think he would get worked faster than swick i hate martin.

dropshot001

Awards
i don't think that this fight will happen for a while seeing as both would get killed. 170 has no good contenders, gotta give them time to sort themselves out again.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I wanna see anthony johnson improve and do work!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i don't think that this fight will happen for a while seeing as both would get killed. 170 has no good contenders, gotta give them time to sort themselves out again.
I agree, but unfortunately White has already confirmed this is a #1 contender bout.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah a few months till 103 then they need a few months it wont be till late winter. maybe its AKA's 3rd times the charm haha fitch kos now him...oh wait naw prolly not!

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Assuming the doctor won't clear him prior to that date.

Flyers2385

Awards
These MMA fighters have heart like no other.
It's true, and they are very professional as well. Heard reports of Thiago partying with gsp at rehab the Sunday after the fight in Vegas. Amazing how two guys can train to beat the crap out of each other for months and party together the day after the fight. I give credit to gsp for not missing rehab even with a torn abductor.

dropshot001

Awards
gsp can be suspended up to janurary 2010, but if he gets cleared by a doc before that he is good to go

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I just rewatched the kampmann/condit fight and I'm interested to see if kampmann handles the cut better with Swick. Condit's a great fighter but I expected kampmann to look more impressive against him. I kinda scored the fight for Condit with the strikes. Swicks gonna walk right through him if he doesn't figure it out.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yes i scored the fight the same way. im still mad about that fight and swick will run through him. i want pat cote to come back

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I want to see Swick knock him out. He better do well with this long awaited opportunity he's getting.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ya id say he odds of beating gsp tho are like 5 to 1 but for the hell of it lets say he won hahah who would he fight a fellow AKA fighter? they would have to give gsp or thiago a shot right away lol. or bring diego or bj back up....ya right hahahaha.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
It would be insanity IF he won. Ya never know.
On a lesser note Diego is (according to him) guaranteed a fight with the winner of the BJ/Ken fight. Thats such bullsh!t. Make that fruit cake fight Frank at least.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jessep76 MMA 6
jas123 MMA 33
vika808 MMA 36
Beowulf MMA 18
MMA 22