Future Fedor vs. Brock fight....

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    madagascar
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    811

    Future Fedor vs. Brock fight....


    We all hope for it and all want to see it. Well it isn't for sure,.... but apparently the talk is getting around, as when I log on to Yahoo and its mentioned in the front page article, I begin to wonder,......

    Lost in the antics was Lesnar’s performance, a brilliant effort that showed both his growth as a mixed martial artist and the immense potential. The question becomes, who the heck can tame this mountain of a man from the Minnesota woods?

    Shane Carwin? Cain Velasquez? Mir in a final chapter of a trilogy of fights? No doubt they’ll get a chance, and no doubt they stand a chance.

    The greatest beneficiary of each Lesnar snarl, however, lives in Stary Oskol, Russia, a man named Fedor Emelianenko who is considered the No. 1 heavyweight (if not pound-for-pound fighter) in the world. If anyone has the knockout power to stop the 6-3, 265-pound Lesnar, it’s Emelianenko.

    Fedor doesn’t fight in the UFC though. He’s with its ***** promotion, Affliction. He’ll fight Aug. 1 in Anaheim, Calif., in what is the last match of his contract. Affliction is hoping to re-sign him until 2012, but the UFC will come hard after him. More now then ever. And that means money, big money.

    “Eventually Fedor is going to be here,” White said. “I want Fedor. We’ll end up getting that deal done and then we’ll do Brock vs. Fedor and we’ll do a huge fight.”

    Time will tell, but the pressure to sign the elusive Russian has been ratcheted up. A villain was born and there isn’t an obvious superhero in sight. The UFC brought Brock Lesnar over from the WWE for just this kind of a sensation. And the big man has delivered – the good, the bad and the embarrassing.

    Only Dana White has no scriptwriters that can contain him.


    The Lesnar show - UFC - Yahoo! Sports

    This obviously doesn't prove anything, but I think it becoming more prevalent in the news and in combination of Brock's new "antics," might just bring Fedor into the mix. Its all about $$$ here, and I think no matter the negative comments Dana has said in the past about Fedor,... for Dana White, bringing Fedor in, means bringing in more money.


  2. Registered User
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33852

    Although I don't think Brock would be able to beat Fedor I still don't like this fight much. If Fedor ends up losing (I mean, he has had his injuries and is not getting any younger), people will start claiming Brock is the best fighter ever, and, well, we all know that to be false.

    So IDK, i hope he doesn't sign.
  3. Registered User
    vika808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    608
    Rep Power
    388

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Although I don't think Brock would be able to beat Fedor I still don't like this fight much. If Fedor ends up losing (I mean, he has had his injuries and is not getting any younger), people will start claiming Brock is the best fighter ever, and, well, we all know that to be false.

    So IDK, i hope he doesn't sign.
    I know what you mean, i would love to see fedor shut the hype up and knock out brock but to have fedor lose would be a disater for MMA.
    •   
       

  4. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    madagascar
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    811

    Quote Originally Posted by vika808 View Post
    I know what you mean, i would love to see fedor shut the hype up and knock out brock but to have fedor lose would be a disater for MMA.
    ...if that were to be the case,...I dont think I would ever watch MMA again, lol.
  5. Registered User
    TexasTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Power
    663

    Isnt Brocks success pretty much a direct showing of how MMA fighters right now are pretty much the leftovers from other sports. I mean, Brock failed at most everything else before he came to MMA and is now a heavyweight pro, much less champ no? I mean, MMA fighters are wrestlers and BJJ vets who couldnt hack it in boxing or something so they came to MMA and now its touted as the toughest "realest" fighting out there. It seems to incorporate so many disciplines it doesn't mean they are well rounded but just sloppy all around and its packed with the leftover athletes from other bigger sports.
  6. Registered User
    Jessep76's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agoura Hills
    Posts
    1,504
    Rep Power
    3213

    You know Dana's other hope is the next TUF season. I just hope there's some big ass monsters that show potential. Brock's not the only large athlete with speed and size in the world. Fortunately that is all it would take. Some malleable beast who is quick to pick up MMA just like Brock. We don't need Machida. Just someone Brock can't toss around and who hits hard and won't end up on his back.
  7. Registered User
    bslick69b's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    hawaii
    Posts
    3,831
    Rep Power
    1997

    this would def. be a fight to see!...fricken A!
    board supporter
  8. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    i would disagree on being leftovers. many of these guys could do something else and be pro. these guys liek to fight and just boxing has become pretty lame. its just new and people wanna do it and its a great challenege. on the other hand there are a couple of people who might be looked at as leftovers.
  9. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Isnt Brocks success pretty much a direct showing of how MMA fighters right now are pretty much the leftovers from other sports. I mean, Brock failed at most everything else before he came to MMA and is now a heavyweight pro, much less champ no? I mean, MMA fighters are wrestlers and BJJ vets who couldnt hack it in boxing or something so they came to MMA and now its touted as the toughest "realest" fighting out there. It seems to incorporate so many disciplines it doesn't mean they are well rounded but just sloppy all around and its packed with the leftover athletes from other bigger sports.
    Where to start here. Collegiate wrestling, Olympic wrestling, Olympic Judo and so forth are more accredited sports, but they lack something sorely: a legitimate career opportunity and avenue for financial gain. Accomplished amateur fighters enter MMA for reasons twofold: a) it allows them to develop athletically, professionally, and viably continue their art, and; b) more importantly, it provides them financial security.

    The leftovers comment is, with due respect, stupid. Kos, Fitch and Lesnar were NCAA Div I champions - literally, the cream of the crop in collegiate wrestling; other fighters such as Parisyan, Akiyama, and Sokoudju were world-champion Jukodas - again, performing at the highest calibre. That point is moot.

    In terms of Lesnar: he is a 6'3" 285lb individual who benches over 500, squats over 600, and runs the 40 in 4.7; with no football experience aside from High School, he garnered an entry-level contract with the Vikings. It goes without saying there are few boxing heavyweights who could accomplish this feet.

    Brock's success is a validation of the complete opposite of what you are saying: that the UFC is a repository for elite level athletes of every discipline.
  10. Registered User
    rugger48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,059
    Rep Power
    45133

    Spot on Mullet.


    As far as lesnar beating fedor, Im sorry I dont think anybody would say hes the best fighter, but if he beat fedor I would have to give him his due. No excuses either
  11. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Where to start here. Collegiate wrestling, Olympic wrestling, Olympic Judo and so forth are more accredited sports, but they lack something sorely: a legitimate career opportunity and avenue for financial gain. Accomplished amateur fighters enter MMA for reasons twofold: a) it allows them to develop athletically, professionally, and viably continue their art, and; b) more importantly, it provides them financial security.

    The leftovers comment is, with due respect, stupid. Kos, Fitch and Lesnar were NCAA Div I champions - literally, the cream of the crop in collegiate wrestling; other fighters such as Parisyan, Akiyama, and Sokoudju were world-champion Jukodas - again, performing at the highest calibre. That point is moot.

    In terms of Lesnar: he is a 6'3" 285lb individual who benches over 500, squats over 600, and runs the 40 in 4.7; with no football experience aside from High School, he garnered an entry-level contract with the Vikings. It goes without saying there are few boxing heavyweights who could accomplish this feet.

    Brock's success is a validation of the complete opposite of what you are saying: that the UFC is a repository for elite level athletes of every discipline.
    Maybe I cried a little after reading this.

    I concur, I was about to write paragraph two, almost verbatim myself.

    In regards to Fedor vs Brock, as it stands right now, Fedor would still win. I honestly think Fedor has enough power & accuracy to KO Brock and we all know Fedor is even deadlier on the ground.
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    if anything people leave there sport to come.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,327
    Rep Power
    922352

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Maybe I cried a little after reading this.

    I concur, I was about to write paragraph two, almost verbatim myself.

    In regards to Fedor vs Brock, as it stands right now, Fedor would still win. I honestly think Fedor has enough power & accuracy to KO Brock and we all know Fedor is even deadlier on the ground.
    I agree Fedor wins, but probably not as easy as many think. If Brocks camp uses a similar plan against Fedor that they did with Mir, I wouldnt be surprised to see Brock win. My concern for Fedor is that he is a bleeder, and he bleeds quickly, and Brock has a habit of turning peoples face into ground beef
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  14. Banned
    JW32Hoops's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Although I don't think Brock would be able to beat Fedor I still don't like this fight much. If Fedor ends up losing (I mean, he has had his injuries and is not getting any younger), people will start claiming Brock is the best fighter ever, and, well, we all know that to be false.

    So IDK, i hope he doesn't sign.
    Brock and Fedor are the same age.
  15. Registered User
    Flyers2385's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    149

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Where to start here. Collegiate wrestling, Olympic wrestling, Olympic Judo and so forth are more accredited sports, but they lack something sorely: a legitimate career opportunity and avenue for financial gain. Accomplished amateur fighters enter MMA for reasons twofold: a) it allows them to develop athletically, professionally, and viably continue their art, and; b) more importantly, it provides them financial security.

    The leftovers comment is, with due respect, stupid. Kos, Fitch and Lesnar were NCAA Div I champions - literally, the cream of the crop in collegiate wrestling; other fighters such as Parisyan, Akiyama, and Sokoudju were world-champion Jukodas - again, performing at the highest calibre. That point is moot.

    In terms of Lesnar: he is a 6'3" 285lb individual who benches over 500, squats over 600, and runs the 40 in 4.7; with no football experience aside from High School, he garnered an entry-level contract with the Vikings. It goes without saying there are few boxing heavyweights who could accomplish this feet.

    Brock's success is a validation of the complete opposite of what you are saying: that the UFC is a repository for elite level athletes of every discipline.
    I hate to say it, but you are 100% right on this one mullet. How in the world could one say they are left overs? MMA is main stream now, with 400k for Lesnar to gain from just one fight. MUCH better than WWE, and it's a culmination of skills Lesnar has honed for his entire life. UFC is for the super athlete in my opinion.
  16. Registered User
    BurghHardcore's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    4505

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyers2385 View Post
    I hate to say it, but you are 100% right on this one mullet. How in the world could one say they are left overs? MMA is main stream now, with 400k for Lesnar to gain from just one fight. MUCH better than WWE, and it's a culmination of skills Lesnar has honed for his entire life. UFC is for the super athlete in my opinion.
    Brock won the 400k from the fight ALONE. Because his match was a title match, along with GSP's, him and GSP both earned revenue from the PPV purchases as well. I believe that I read Brock earned close to $3mill Saturday night. So yeah....MUCH better than the WWE.

    I almost sh*t myself when I read the "leftovers" comment. They are elite level athletes, with top notch conditioning and training regimens. Just because Chuck Liddell sucks at football or any other sport (He may or may not, just using him as an example) doesn't mean that he isn't an elite level athlete. How many ex-NFL players have attempted MMA careers and got straight KTFO...in a hurry?
  17. Registered User
    TexasTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Power
    663

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Where to start here. Collegiate wrestling, Olympic wrestling, Olympic Judo and so forth are more accredited sports, but they lack something sorely: a legitimate career opportunity and avenue for financial gain. Accomplished amateur fighters enter MMA for reasons twofold: a) it allows them to develop athletically, professionally, and viably continue their art, and; b) more importantly, it provides them financial security.

    The leftovers comment is, with due respect, stupid. Kos, Fitch and Lesnar were NCAA Div I champions - literally, the cream of the crop in collegiate wrestling; other fighters such as Parisyan, Akiyama, and Sokoudju were world-champion Jukodas - again, performing at the highest calibre. That point is moot.

    In terms of Lesnar: he is a 6'3" 285lb individual who benches over 500, squats over 600, and runs the 40 in 4.7; with no football experience aside from High School, he garnered an entry-level contract with the Vikings. It goes without saying there are few boxing heavyweights who could accomplish this feet.

    Brock's success is a validation of the complete opposite of what you are saying: that the UFC is a repository for elite level athletes of every discipline.
    He was a wrestler and good. But what you left off he did pro wrestling and then got his ass kicked and was cut from the Vikings. Boxing is an entirely different kind of training. I mean, give me a damn break. I dont care who you are. Any sport where someone can start training and be a "world champion" in 2-3 years is a ****ing joke.

    You mention wrestling and various martial art forms but these are hardly mainstream sports drawing from a large talent pool. In the same way the US team for rugby might be some rough guys, theyd get beaten off a collegiant football field.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    if anything people leave there sport to come.
    Hardly. Boxing purses for "huge" prize fights like this rape the 400K the "heavyweight champ" of the UFC made. Floyd Mayweather got 25 million for his fight with De La Hoya. And people think boxing is dying. Lol.
  18. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    He was a wrestler and good. But what you left off he did pro wrestling and then got his ass kicked and was cut from the Vikings. Boxing is an entirely different kind of training. I mean, give me a damn break. I dont care who you are. Any sport where someone can start training and be a "world champion" in 2-3 years is a ****ing joke.
    With due respect, this is simply inconsistent logic; and particularly the last statement. In various sports, in various periods, you have individuals with little-to-no experience quickly dominating in a sport. Why, though? Because they are phenomenal athletes, which predisposes them to several things; namely, the high development of the regions of the brain responsible for motor coordination - i.e.) they can pick up whatever they want and do it. This is a moot point, IMO.

    In terms of the professional wrestling, I left this out because it is entirely incidental to his athletic ability, and; further, he was not a "good" wrestler - literally, he was one of the best HW collegiate wrestlers ever. (And regarded as such at the time, mind you.) On the matter of the Vikings, though: the fact he even garnered a try-out, let alone obtained an entry-level contract - which was, as you stated, reneged upon by the Vikings - is a testament to his sheer athleticism.

    What I find interesting about your position is that boxers routinely fail in MMA, due to the diversity of combat afoot - put otherwise, they are unprepared for the complexity and multi-faceted athleticism of MMA. Or, put otherwise still: they are not good enough athletes to adapt.

    You mention wrestling and various martial art forms but these are hardly mainstream sports drawing from a large talent pool. In the same way the US team for rugby might be some rough guys, theyd get beaten off a collegiant football field.
    Yes, and consequently, former collegiate and NFL football players are beaten out of the Octagon quite routinely - the same logic applies, for the same reason; however, this is again secondary to the point. What you fail to understand is that MMA pools from the very elite of a wide-range of disciplines, and these individuals, often world champions and/or Olympic athletes, do not always [...or even often...] thrive in the sport; alone, this is a resounding endorsement of the level of athleticism and skill necessary to participate in MMA. Professional boxing, on the other hand, pools almost exclusively from amateur boxing; quite plainly, this puts a damper on the progression of the sport, due to a lack of pressure from rapid advancement. MMA, on the other hand, constantly evolves from the consistent infusion of Olympic/world-level athletes providing new techniques and new considerations to the other fighters. Enter massive progress due to diversity.

    Hardly. Boxing purses for "huge" prize fights like this rape the 400K the "heavyweight champ" of the UFC made. Floyd Mayweather got 25 million for his fight with De La Hoya. And people think boxing is dying. Lol.
    Well, aside from the recent Hatton/Pac-Man fight, UFC PPVs routinely destroy boxing's live-buys, and they are also quite even in the live-gates. Wage, however, has nothing to do with the skill-level of the athletes involved, but the political climate of the sport itself. The UFC is a monopoly, and so, they have the power to control wages.

    I for one love Boxing, and think it can co-exist with MMA. If you notice, it is usually only boxing afficianados such as yourself that attack MMA, and not vice-versa; seems to be an insecurity on the part of the Boxing community.
  19. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    yeah boxing is lame now and UFC offers tons of more fighters they have to pay out.
  20. Registered User
    Australian made's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,160
    Rep Power
    4319

    Quote Originally Posted by BurghHardcore View Post

    I almost sh*t myself when I read the "leftovers" comment. They are elite level athletes, with top notch conditioning and training regimens. Just because Chuck Liddell sucks at football or any other sport (He may or may not, just using him as an example) doesn't mean that he isn't an elite level athlete. How many ex-NFL players have attempted MMA careers and got straight KTFO...in a hurry?
    I was just thinking your football players are absolutely huge and obviously pretty quick on their feet and strong as hell and wondered why there weren't any ex pro's or guys who couldn't quite make the team now in MMA making a name for themselves. I know size isn't everything but from what the yanks at work tell me, 6'3 @ 285 lbs isn't exactly big for a footballer?? Perhaps Lesnar is has more ability then people give him credit for.....
  21. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    I was just thinking your football players are absolutely huge and obviously pretty quick on their feet and strong as hell and wondered why there weren't any ex pro's or guys who couldn't quite make the team now in MMA making a name for themselves. I know size isn't everything but from what the yanks at work tell me, 6'3 @ 285 lbs isn't exactly big for a footballer?? Perhaps Lesnar is has more ability then people give him credit for.....
    Oh he definitely does, AM. In fact, there are several ex-NFLers on the new season of the UFC's reality show; no doubt, they will not win, and NFLers are elite athletes.
  22. Registered User
    TexasTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Power
    663

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    With due respect, this is simply inconsistent logic; and particularly the last statement. In various sports, in various periods, you have individuals with little-to-no experience quickly dominating in a sport. Why, though? Because they are phenomenal athletes, which predisposes them to several things; namely, the high development of the regions of the brain responsible for motor coordination - i.e.) they can pick up whatever they want and do it. This is a moot point, IMO.

    Show me a mainstream sport where guys can come in with little expierience and dominate. Baseball, basketball, football, etc. You wont see it. No one walks into those sports and dominates the game. No one definintly walks into football like that. Even the best players bound for the HOF stay 3-4 years in college.

    In terms of the professional wrestling, I left this out because it is entirely incidental to his athletic ability, and; further, he was not a "good" wrestler - literally, he was one of the best HW collegiate wrestlers ever. (And regarded as such at the time, mind you.) On the matter of the Vikings, though: the fact he even garnered a try-out, let alone obtained an entry-level contract - which was, as you stated, reneged upon by the Vikings - is a testament to his sheer athleticism.

    No its not...he looked good on paper due to his lifts and wrestling but got made into a bitch on the field. Wrestling is what got a guy from my high school a full ride to University of Texas for football. They thought he could manage the other guy better for it. Brock is now a world champion in UFC and yet, he couldnt even make the cut despite being "such an athlete."

    What I find interesting about your position is that boxers routinely fail in MMA, due to the diversity of combat afoot - put otherwise, they are unprepared for the complexity and multi-faceted athleticism of MMA. Or, put otherwise still: they are not good enough athletes to adapt.

    In this day and age, quantity seems way better than quality. The multifacted side of MMA is its downfall IMO. It uses to many diciplines, that you wont see quality examples of each one, but rather dulled down slop due to having to be so versed. It lets **** like Brock Lesnar go be a world champ after training for like 2 years. Thats sad. Frank Mir's training looked pathetic. His pad work was so damn slow youd think he wasnt wearing freaking 4oz gloves but 32. By and large, it seems that MMA conditioning isnt up to par. Where else could a 38 year old with a beer belly be a world champ at anything except a pitcher in baseball.

    Yes, and consequently, former collegiate and NFL football players are beaten out of the Octagon quite routinely - the same logic applies, for the same reason; however, this is again secondary to the point. What you fail to understand is that MMA pools from the very elite of a wide-range of disciplines, and these individuals, often world champions and/or Olympic athletes, do not always [...or even often...] thrive in the sport; alone, this is a resounding endorsement of the level of athleticism and skill necessary to participate in MMA. Professional boxing, on the other hand, pools almost exclusively from amateur boxing; quite plainly, this puts a damper on the progression of the sport, due to a lack of pressure from rapid advancement. MMA, on the other hand, constantly evolves from the consistent infusion of Olympic/world-level athletes providing new techniques and new considerations to the other fighters. Enter massive progress due to diversity.

    So a bunch of football players out of a job get beat out of the ring. Im not seeing the connection. And boxing doesnt need progression. What I love about it is its timelessness and the fact you are given less to work with and are forced to strategize, condition, and train around that. I dont really care how elite these purported athletes are, the fact is they dont draw from the mainstream and remain fringe activities. They are elite because of that, not in spite of that.

    Well, aside from the recent Hatton/Pac-Man fight, UFC PPVs routinely destroy boxing's live-buys, and they are also quite even in the live-gates. Wage, however, has nothing to do with the skill-level of the athletes involved, but the political climate of the sport itself. The UFC is a monopoly, and so, they have the power to control wages.

    I was correcting the notion that 400K means ****. The UFC is decades away from touching what boxing is now, even in it's "dying state."

    I for one love Boxing, and think it can co-exist with MMA. If you notice, it is usually only boxing afficianados such as yourself that attack MMA, and not vice-versa; seems to be an insecurity on the part of the Boxing community.

    Because it gets extremely annoying to just hear all the MMA spewing, and I see hordes of vehicles with TAPOUT on the back. Most of the fans have never thrown a punch in their life. Yet I get to hear Joe Rogan Jr telling me about some jackasses "ground game bro." The one thing thats nice is you took all the douchebag fanboys of fighting. People somehow regard MMA as "real fighting" which always cracks me up and somehow its way more intense than boxing/other forms of fighting. MMA's rate of expansion will do more harm than good in the long term.
    Red.
  23. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27062

    Show me a mainstream sport where guys can come in with little expierience and dominate. Baseball, basketball, football, etc. You wont see it. No one walks into those sports and dominates the game. No one definintly walks into football like that. Even the best players bound for the HOF stay 3-4 years in college.
    Well, the fact that the NFL only recently instituted the 2-year college rule proves your last statement to be false; prior to that, most great players entered after the Freshman year. At any rate, that is again pretty incidental to the point.

    Most people are unable to "walk-on" in those sports because they require intricate experience - i.e.) it has less to do with athleticism than it does with game savvy; savvy, mind you, that comes after years and years of playing. More on this below.

    No its not...he looked good on paper due to his lifts and wrestling but got made into a bitch on the field. Wrestling is what got a guy from my high school a full ride to University of Texas for football. They thought he could manage the other guy better for it. Brock is now a world champion in UFC and yet, he couldnt even make the cut despite being "such an athlete."
    There is no nice way to say this, so I will just say it: you are completely wrong. Brock was actually signed to an entry-level contract due to massively impressing Mike Tice [the coach at the time] and the rest of his [potential] teammates with his development and athleticism. In reality, his cut had little to do with his athleticism, and everything to do with little football experience and a groin injury sustained from a motorcycle accident earlier that year. The Minnesota Vikings were incredibly interested in developing his knowledge - see: not athleticism - and he even racked up a QB sack in a pre-season game.

    In this day and age, quantity seems way better than quality. The multifacted side of MMA is its downfall IMO. It uses to many diciplines, that you wont see quality examples of each one, but rather dulled down slop due to having to be so versed. It lets **** like Brock Lesnar go be a world champ after training for like 2 years. Thats sad. Frank Mir's training looked pathetic. His pad work was so damn slow youd think he wasnt wearing freaking 4oz gloves but 32. By and large, it seems that MMA conditioning isnt up to par. Where else could a 38 year old with a beer belly be a world champ at anything except a pitcher in baseball.
    Again, simply inconsistent logic. Consider Georges St. Pierre: a WW with the UFC who had never wrestled in high school, or college, and yet his MMA-obtained skills garnered him a request by the Canadian Olympic team. Let me guess: Olympic wresters have not-up-to-par conditioning as well. In reality, you have the absolute elite from every discipline coming to the UFC, so your "muddied down" argument is again moot. What you really have is NCAA Div I wrestling champions, Olympic Wrestlers, Olympic Judokas, World Champion BJJ players, K-1 Champions, etc., etc., converging in one place to constantly evolve the sport - i.e.) a far more substantial and elite talent pool than boxing.

    When it comes down to it, MMA is constantly evolving due to internal pressure from the constantly diversified talent pool, while boxing is not. And so, what makes MMA comparisons between eras moot is the level to which the actual sport has progressed in terms of skill-sets, techniques, and so forth. Boxing, on the other hand, does not suffer from such issues; thus, the only factor which makes multi-era comparisons moot is the level of conditioning and athleticism - technique and skill-wise, it progresses much slower than MMA. This alone flushes your point out to be untrue.

    So a bunch of football players out of a job get beat out of the ring. Im not seeing the connection. And boxing doesnt need progression. What I love about it is its timelessness and the fact you are given less to work with and are forced to strategize, condition, and train around that. I dont really care how elite these purported athletes are, the fact is they dont draw from the mainstream and remain fringe activities. They are elite because of that, not in spite of that.
    The connection was the exact same one you made, so it surprises me you cannot see it. Allow me to explain further. Your point was that no MMArtist could break into "mainstream" sports due to the higher level of athleticism, and relative ease of MMA; on the other hand, these "mainstream" athletes get absolutely destroyed in MMA - i.e.) MMA takes an equal or greater amount of skill and athleticism as "mainstream sports". Put otherwise: you are again incorrect.

    And yes, Texas, wrestling, judo, martial arts, are "fringe" activities. If any NFL'er, NBA'er, NHL'er or such could come into MMA and dominate, you would have a point; however, you do not. MMArtists are elite athletes precisely because of the confluence of disciplines and conditioning necessary to compete at a high level in this sport.

    I was correcting the notion that 400K means ****. The UFC is decades away from touching what boxing is now, even in it's "dying state."
    Decades away from touching irrelevant associations, belts, and high-level politics dictating purses and number one contenders? Again, the wages payed has absolutely nothing to do with the athletes involved, and the UFC crushes boxing in PPV numbers.

    Because it gets extremely annoying to just hear all the MMA spewing, and I see hordes of vehicles with TAPOUT on the back. Most of the fans have never thrown a punch in their life. Yet I get to hear Joe Rogan Jr telling me about some jackasses "ground game bro." The one thing thats nice is you took all the douchebag fanboys of fighting. People somehow regard MMA as "real fighting" which always cracks me up and somehow its way more intense than boxing/other forms of fighting. MMA's rate of expansion will do more harm than good in the long term.
    You should step into a JJ class and prove me wrong, then; or even step into the ring for an amateur MMA fight. Certainly a good way to prove how easy it is.
  24. Registered User
    Kegger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    115
    Rep Power
    154

    great points Mullet! Couldn't have said it better myself.
  25. Registered User
    4Runner's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Age
    36
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    69

    Bobby Lashley vs. Brock, that would be a good match up....
  26. Board Supporter
    TMack40's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    31
    Posts
    301
    Rep Power
    295

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    Because it gets extremely annoying to just hear all the MMA spewing, and I see hordes of vehicles with TAPOUT on the back. Most of the fans have never thrown a punch in their life. Yet I get to hear Joe Rogan Jr telling me about some jackasses "ground game bro."
    Joe Rogan was the US Open TKD overall champion by 19. Just sayin'...

    And, from what I see, the popularity of MMA has led to quite an increase in the amount of people actually practicing various forms of MMA, myself included. MMA fans can be rowdy douchebags, just like any sport's fans, but I bet on average they throw a better punch than your typical beer bellied Bears fan.
  27. Registered User
    TexasTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Power
    663

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Well, the fact that the NFL only recently instituted the 2-year college rule proves your last statement to be false; prior to that, most great players entered after the Freshman year. At any rate, that is again pretty incidental to the point.

    The example stands. People dont go from zero to pro in 2 years in anything except MMA or fringe sports.

    Most people are unable to "walk-on" in those sports because they require intricate experience - i.e.) it has less to do with athleticism than it does with game savvy; savvy, mind you, that comes after years and years of playing. More on this below.



    There is no nice way to say this, so I will just say it: you are completely wrong. Brock was actually signed to an entry-level contract due to massively impressing Mike Tice [the coach at the time] and the rest of his [potential] teammates with his development and athleticism. In reality, his cut had little to do with his athleticism, and everything to do with little football experience and a groin injury sustained from a motorcycle accident earlier that year. The Minnesota Vikings were incredibly interested in developing his knowledge - see: not athleticism - and he even racked up a QB sack in a pre-season game.

    The point is he couldnt make it because the game isnt something you can walk into and be amazing at. Yeah he got a sack and pissed off the other team too by being a **** while doing it.

    Again, simply inconsistent logic. Consider Georges St. Pierre: a WW with the UFC who had never wrestled in high school, or college, and yet his MMA-obtained skills garnered him a request by the Canadian Olympic team. Let me guess: Olympic wresters have not-up-to-par conditioning as well. In reality, you have the absolute elite from every discipline coming to the UFC, so your "muddied down" argument is again moot. What you really have is NCAA Div I wrestling champions, Olympic Wrestlers, Olympic Judokas, World Champion BJJ players, K-1 Champions, etc., etc., converging in one place to constantly evolve the sport - i.e.) a far more substantial and elite talent pool than boxing.

    Declaring things moot, untrue, or inconsistant doesnt make it so. Stop doing it. You missed the point. You might have guys coming in who are the "elite" at one aspect. The rest they are mediocre at best at.

    When it comes down to it, MMA is constantly evolving due to internal pressure from the constantly diversified talent pool, while boxing is not. And so, what makes MMA comparisons between eras moot is the level to which the actual sport has progressed in terms of skill-sets, techniques, and so forth. Boxing, on the other hand, does not suffer from such issues; thus, the only factor which makes multi-era comparisons moot is the level of conditioning and athleticism - technique and skill-wise, it progresses much slower than MMA. This alone flushes your point out to be untrue.

    It seems you just develop a niche speciality because people cant be skilled at every aspect and win for a while and then the next guy's niche comes and thats that. Rampage had chucks number and chuck had everyone elses with those huge looping punches that I really dont know how they worked but they did. Youre right boxing doesnt suffer from that. People just fight, outsmart, and work harder in a tighter competition.

    The connection was the exact same one you made, so it surprises me you cannot see it. Allow me to explain further. Your point was that no MMArtist could break into "mainstream" sports due to the higher level of athleticism, and relative ease of MMA; on the other hand, these "mainstream" athletes get absolutely destroyed in MMA - i.e.) MMA takes an equal or greater amount of skill and athleticism as "mainstream sports". Put otherwise: you are again incorrect.

    You dont get it. People dont go to MMA unless they have nothing to turn to. The best in boxing would never go to MMA. Why would they? Hey, make 10x less money and come learn a new fighting style all over again! Or hey! You get the guys who dont hack it in other sports. Why would Adrian Peterson even think about MMA when hes racking up enormous rushing yards every season and making a pisston of money.

    And yes, Texas, wrestling, judo, martial arts, are "fringe" activities. If any NFL'er, NBA'er, NHL'er or such could come into MMA and dominate, you would have a point; however, you do not. MMArtists are elite athletes precisely because of the confluence of disciplines and conditioning necessary to compete at a high level in this sport.

    See above. The cream rises to the top where the money is, not MMA.

    Decades away from touching irrelevant associations, belts, and high-level politics dictating purses and number one contenders? Again, the wages payed has absolutely nothing to do with the athletes involved, and the UFC crushes boxing in PPV numbers.

    Wages, tradition, whatever you want to call it. MMA is marketed almost exactly like WWE. Tasteless.

    You should step into a JJ class and prove me wrong, then; or even step into the ring for an amateur MMA fight. Certainly a good way to prove how easy it is.

    If I went back to a gym, it would be to train for boxing again. Austin has several prominent trainers here. Im not going to waste my time with MMA when there are other things I want to train for, much less for an internet arguement.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMack40 View Post
    Joe Rogan was the US Open TKD overall champion by 19. Just sayin'...

    And, from what I see, the popularity of MMA has led to quite an increase in the amount of people actually practicing various forms of MMA, myself included. MMA fans can be rowdy douchebags, just like any sport's fans, but I bet on average they throw a better punch than your typical beer bellied Bears fan.
    I know Joe Rogan was. Hes also a douchebag and his commentary is paraphrashed and repeated by every half****ed bro watching an MMA fight. Thats what Im getting at.

    MMA fans arent fans. They do it because they are fascinated by the fighting and the blood. They idolize it. After military school, Im just not enamored with the violence because Ive seen how far it can go and the cost of it. I prefer boxing because of the mindset and how it differs from MMA. And yes, Im sure they throw better punches than bears fans but it doesnt matter when Hurricane Ditka rains hell down on you.
  28. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    MMA fans arent fans. They do it because they are fascinated by the fighting and the blood. .
    "fascinated by the fighting..." That's not enough? Should the two MMA athletes square off and play a game of chess?
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    I see your point with being frustrated by all the TAP OUT fans and bro's who would have picked Kimbo over Fedor a year back, but I mean, maybe you're a fighter, maybe you're not, I don't know. However, there are a whole list of people, such as actual fighters, amateur or pro, who have an actual right to be frustrated by posers. Being a hardcore fan, really isn't that hardcore.

    P.S. No disrespect, I'm just say'n. I notice a lot of MMA fan elitism and it's rather unfounded, with the exception of those who actually step in a ring.
    NSCA - CSCS
  30. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Funny story on the topic of "fake fans." I was standing behind these two guys discussing the Lesnar/Mir fight. Person A says, "there's somebody who would be a perfect match up for Brock, they're the same size, about the same strength." Person B then blurts out, "oh yeah! Fedor." Person A says, "Yeah! wait... nooo.. the person I'm talking about is black, he's really buff." Person B, "are you sure it's not Fedor?"

    Without getting into the details of their conversation, the fighter they were describing was Bobby Lashley. If being black was put in the description and Fedor was still a maybe ..... That would bother some more then others. To each their own I suppose, but everyone starts somewhere.
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Brock Post Fight Interviews
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
  2. Fedor Emelianenko vs Brock Lesnar.
    By mytime09 in forum MMA
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
  3. Will Randy And Fedor Ever Fight ?????
    By xtreme1 in forum MMA
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 07:18 AM
  4. Tim Sylvia's arm after Fedor Fight
    By MMABoxing in forum MMA
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 06:51 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.