Clay Guida... (spoiler from Guida x Sanchez)

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
So, how do you guys feel about Clay Guida?

I was watching the finale last night, and well, I was surprised. He fought very very hard, he took MANY shots and still did not go out, but can someone explain how the heck he won a round?

I feel he does not do enough to win many fights. Many of his fights end up him getting a takedown and then being able to hold the other guy down and throw just enough punches to not get standed. And that really annoys me.

Diego did some MAJOR damage to Clay, even when from the bottom Sanchez was doing more damage than Guida, yet, just because he was on top he gets the points. He by no means was advancing, was doing very little damage, and instead of winning, just stalling the match, and that granted him a win.

A very very very boring way to fight, and it seems its something he does often. Anyone thinks the same way?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought he won the 2nd with octagon control, and an argument could be made he won the 3rd. Either way it was a hell of a fight. Very impressed by Diego too.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
clay is awesome but he needs better striking for sure. too much wrestling around for me. did has a crazy jaw he took a beating and gets up hoping around. what a stud. he will own lower skilled opponents. diego is jsut up there and i hope he gets his ass beat by someone real soon. bj, kenflo or franky or **** even sherk.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I thought he won the 2nd with octagon control, and an argument could be made he won the 3rd. Either way it was a hell of a fight. Very impressed by Diego too.
Sure, he did get octagon control, the point I was trying to make is that he fights lots of time to "not lose" and not to win. He's happy with just staying on top of a guy and winning the round by "octagon control", and that just annoys the crap out of me, I want exciting fights, I want people trying to finish, and not just waiting till they can win decision.

Out of his last 15 fights, 10 were decision, and he only won 3 by TKO or Submission out of those 15.

So I do feel like he fights mostly to not lose and doesn't go for a killing blow or anything.

This last one was one hell of a fight, but leading up to it all I could think was "oh, here he comes and he's going to lay on top of the guy till decision time". And he did try to pull that rounds 2 and 3 when he finally got Diego down.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah its kinda disapointing but he is entertaining guy until he starts facing hard opponents.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guida's style is Hug-Jitsu, that's it.

But I'll withhold my judgments awhile longer. The last person I completed hated on and was passionate about expressing my utter hatred in their fighting/entertainment style, was Lyoto Machida.... how I've ate my words.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Its just like Amir said... he needs to fcking cut the hair or for fck sake Urijah that sh!t. How much of what he takes can he even see??
Anyway Diego is looking better with his weight cut but does not deserve any title shot just yet. Franky would look excellent against him and so would a few others...

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
clay just needs to work on striking.

if he could hit with some force he would have won that fight.

btw, july 11th is looking good:)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diego has looked impressive, but as we know, his TDD will need to improve to make any impact in the LW division. His two losses are against great wrestlers, and Clay showed that night that even an above-average wrestler can take him down at will. His hands look great, but he needs: a) better TDD; b) a better guard.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
True story about Sanchez. But I was really happy to see his new and improved striking.

And yeah, hug-jitsu will pretty much explain hehe. I really hate watching his fights, last one against sanchez was great thanks to sanchez... And i'm glad to see the judges saw the same fight as me, where one guy was trying to delay the fight and the other going heavy for the kill.

It seems like guida really started sucking when he got in the UFC, and is just not good enough to keep up with UFC ifghters, so he tries delaying till decision.

Since joining WEC / UFC, he's had 10 fights, 7 of which went to judges scorecard. I say that's a lot of decisions for someone whos supposed to be an exciting fighter...

I'd love to watch him fight if his standup improves. He's so hard to knockout that I feel like he could provide very exciting fights.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So who should Sanchez fight next? Edgar? I think Diego gets hated on b/c he is so eccentric, but his only losses are against two upper-class WWs. Unfortunately, though, Diego appears to have lost his WW-strength in the cut, and is now a middle-of-the-road LW strength-wise, just as he was a middle-of-the-road WW strength-wise. With an improved guard and TDD, he poses to be very dangerous. His striking is crisp, quick and his angles are great. He knows how to push the off-button as well.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So who should Sanchez fight next? Edgar? I think Diego gets hated on b/c he is so eccentric, but his only losses are against two upper-class WWs. Unfortunately, though, Diego appears to have lost his WW-strength in the cut, and is now a middle-of-the-road LW strength-wise, just as he was a middle-of-the-road WW strength-wise. With an improved guard and TDD, he poses to be very dangerous. His striking is crisp, quick and his angles are great. He knows how to push the off-button as well.
Was it Nick Diaz who had that mind blowing upset against Gomi? When Gomi gassed out into a drunken & useless stooper and got whooped.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Was it Nick Diaz who had that mind blowing upset against Gomi? When Gomi gassed out into a drunken & useless stooper and got whooped.
Yeah, Nick subbed him with a gogoplata. I think Nick is an amazing fighter, though, so that upset was not huge in my mind. He really only beats himself by acting like an *******.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, Nick subbed him with a gogoplata. I think Nick is an amazing fighter, though, so that upset was not huge in my mind. He really only beats himself by acting like an *******.
That shocked the hell out of me, but that's because I didn't really know too much about Nick Diaz at the time, but I WAS a fan of Gomi.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That shocked the hell out of me, but that's because I didn't really know too much about Nick Diaz at the time, but I WAS a fan of Gomi.
I absolutely, positively, love Nick Diaz; the fighter is a stud. In addition, he is completely insane. On Saturday he was screaming, "Do work Joe, you bitch!" That is class. In reality though, Nick is an amazingly well-rounded fighter, who has beaten himself several times. When you Gogoplata Gomi, KO Lawler, and still freak out in every interview, you are a champ in my mind's eye. I think www.cagepotato.com has some great Diaz highlights.

On a side note, I have a feeling Diaz will re-enter the Octagon soon, given the amount of praise Mike and Joe were lathering on him.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
nick diaz is a freakin stud. when i was in san jose for strikeforce more people were rooting for diaz than shamrock and shamrocks gym is there hahaha.

sanchez does look tiny and weaker but hes quick with his strikes. guids look terrible to be honest. like some of the worse in the top 15 LW's. i dont think my punches look that bad hahha. sanchez better end a fight before he gets a shot at the title. if kenflo wins i want to see bj destroy him because im sure they would **** talk. but i think sanchez might get a shot to draw hype. i think kenflo will work sanchez and i hope edgar does too.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I absolutely, positively, love Nick Diaz; the fighter is a stud. In addition, he is completely insane. On Saturday he was screaming, "Do work Joe, you bitch!" That is class. In reality though, Nick is an amazingly well-rounded fighter, who has beaten himself several times. When you Gogoplata Gomi, KO Lawler, and still freak out in every interview, you are a champ in my mind's eye. I think www.cagepotato.com has some great Diaz highlights.

On a side note, I have a feeling Diaz will re-enter the Octagon soon, given the amount of praise Mike and Joe were lathering on him.
I'm really confused here... are you guys talking about Nick or Nate Diaz? Was Nick yelling at Joe from the outside? I thought that was Nate... 8-}

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They both were yelling, but I think Nick said the "Do work, bitch". The Diaz brothers are golden.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like Nate, perhaps more then Nick, but that's because I've seen more of Nate's fights, and after that fight with Nate, where as soon as he locked in the triangle, he flexed and gave the finger because he knew it was a matter of moments before the tap was come'n. I thought that was golden.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, he gets that from Nick. IMO, Nate should drop to 145, as he is far too weak to be competitive in the LW division: too many strong wrestlers for him to be relevant there.

Nick is, IMO, a very talented fighter. He is [actually] 10-1 in his last 11 fights; I say actually, as his defeat of Gomi was an NC due to being high. He had a poor run in the UFC, unfortunately: he lost three in a row to Sherk, Riggs and Diego. They were all decisions, and again, he more or less lost those fights to himself, IMO. Had he more discipline, he could have easily won all of them.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
He could move to 145 or he could just move to WEC. He'd have to for either anyway, and he would most likely spank Donald or Jamie with his skills.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
the 155'ers in the WEC piss me off. i hope nate goes and ****s their **** up gets back on track and does work in the ufc. i really like how 95% of these fighters are great sports men but i also like the diaz brothers they are bad ass.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly. They are absolutely hilarious.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I don't mind fighters acknowledging a mistake and apologizing in the ring or trying to get the audience worked up at the very end but high five'n every other punch or kick is a waste of our time and it seems only the diaz brothers are doing something about it:D

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah they both might act like a holes before and during but after they huge shake say good shiet you know. i dis like rashad evans antic's though. nick diaz was fight stoned??? i heard that but thought that was before ufc.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nick's win over Gomi was later ruled an NC, due to the presence of marijuana in his post [or pre] fight drug test.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Not to hijack a man's thread but since it is titled for the main event from sat. and we are on the subject of the little Diaz brother , what you guys think about the rest of the card ? I was thoroughly pleased with both the Diaz/Stevenson matchup and the Burns/Lytle matchups . Not just with the heart and skill that was on display but with the stark contrast between them . One was a clinic on the feet the other on the ground . The first round of Joe v Nate was especially nice . Then who didn't love Burns' Niagra eyebrow ? There Will Be Blood !-when fighting "lights out" that is . :AR15firing:

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
um its fine to hijack thats what they are all about! haha umm no i had higher expectations i guess. Diego was good fight but i thought the rest were boring. I did have to watch them online because i was out(damn so many saturdays this month with UFC's!) so i always think they are more boring wathing online. i was the diaz fight was boring. the burns fight was ok and i agree it was the right call.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
joe daddy looked a little better hes pretty much a gate keeper. him and guida would be very boring at times but at others a good battle.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
um its fine to hijack thats what they are all about! haha umm no i had higher expectations i guess. Diego was good fight but i thought the rest were boring. I did have to watch them online because i was out(damn so many saturdays this month with UFC's!) so i always think they are more boring wathing online. i was the diaz fight was boring. the burns fight was ok and i agree it was the right call.
Word . I thought jakn was rude , not ben postn long , m gettn it tho . The more saturdays with UFc the better I think , but I can see how online would not be as fun . Our local watering hole had live music and the fights so lots of sh!t talking and hollering which I kindof enjoy . Made 30 bucks too. I loved the first round of the Diaz fight but I do love a good ground matchup . Trigg/Hughes back in the day was good . he and Stevenson did gas out a little after thge first though . The young assasin guillard and tibau fight sucked for sure . all in all not bad for a spike tv freebie . better than some of the A. Silva PPVs asa of late

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
haha ya and what do you mean waterhole lol i live in california hahaha

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
haha ya and what do you mean waterhole lol i live in california hahaha
You know - watering hole -it's where we go to drink(a bar) ! the lingo is a bit different round these parts , i may be just a little bit country :cheers: it is definetly not california .

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
oh haha ok. i was like are you at a well? hahaha

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
They both were yelling, but I think Nick said the "Do work, bitch". The Diaz brothers are golden.
I went back to watch it and it looks like Nate says it. Which just makes it even better honestly.
The winner of the Maynard/Huerta fight, or Edger should be Diego's next fight.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I went back to watch it and it looks like Nate says it. Which just makes it even better honestly.
The winner of the Maynard/Huerta fight, or Edger should be Diego's next fight.
Maynard/Huerta is official now ? Niiiice . when ?

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I suppose there's still a very slight chance for change but this is what I got on mmajunkie: The fight was first reported as a possibility by Sherdog.com, and MMAjunkie.com has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to the contest and bout agreements are expected to be signed shortly.
also rumor has it that Hermes Franca and Tyson Griffin are gonna be up for 103.
both sound sweet ass to me though..

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
sounds good. battle of the 155 division as always.....they might have some good wars but to many decisions for me personally. they are usually more bad ass people tho.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I dig some lightweight fights , those cats are fast . I think maybe there are so many decisions because they just don't quite have the KO power that the heavier guys do . Not saying they aren't bad mofo's in their own right but BJ could never match "PAGE" for power .

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
haha yeah i believe they might have a more of a fighter spirit never giving up and having some good wars. but it makes for a long night when there are a lot of decisions. i mean they look more skilled then some of these 205' and HW's but the bado nes are usually unaired prelims.

NovaZ

Awards
I think Sanchez's next fight would probably be Edgar, and if he wins that I think he is too big a name for his next fight not to be against the winner of Florian/Penn for the title.

I also dont understand all the hype Clay Guida gets. Aside from having a rock for a chin, he isnt impressive. The post about him just there not to lose sums it up pretty well. He lays on top and waits. Diego gets props for absolutely pummeling Guida while he was on top of him. I cant remember a fight anytime recently where someone took more damage while on top.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i think awhile ago there was 2 heavy weights and a guy on the bottom was doing damage.it is very rare but so bad ass.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
i think awhile ago there was 2 heavy weights and a guy on the bottom was doing damage.it is very rare but so bad ass.
Last season of UFer a LHW was beating the crap out of the guy on top. But he still lost, even though he did most of the damage.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I often wonder if Diego gets too little credit because he is such a phenomenal weirdo. Prior to his two decision losses - one a unanimous against Kos; the other a split against Fitch - he was 17-0, and currently has a 21-2 record. He hasn't necessarily fought what I would consider the absolute best competition, but it has been fairly tough. I am liking Diego more and more lately.

NovaZ

Awards
I often wonder if Diego gets too little credit because he is such a phenomenal weirdo. Prior to his two decision losses - one a unanimous against Kos; the other a split against Fitch - he was 17-0, and currently has a 21-2 record. He hasn't necessarily fought what I would consider the absolute best competition, but it has been fairly tough. I am liking Diego more and more lately.
I agree completely. The other day I was talking to someone who was saying how he in no way deserves a title shot after another win. Its funny how there are people like Guida whose only legit talent is not getting knocked out and have this huge fanbase and Diego really doesnt get any recognition, even though he himself has never been knocked out.

I do think he needs to be stronger in the LW division though. His cuts seem to leave him a little weak as he even said after the fight with Guida.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I definitely agree, and that is something I stated before as well. He was average as a WW in terms of strength, and rather than import some of that strength, his strength loss seems to be proportionate to his weight loss; he is, more or less, now average in terms of strength as a LW. With some strength and conditioning, though, I think Diego could do some damage. Oh, and some improvements to his guard.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
no, i do believe people remember his streak and know hes good. the media does make him look werid by saying hes regrouping himself and all this.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, as much as I get irritated at seeing him win, he is great fighter. I think Dana wants someone to take out BJ real bad and was probably happy as hell Diego moved down. Assuming he didn't go to Diego with the idea in the first place. If Ken can't put the spurs to Bj, I think Diego will for sure. It be nice to first see a knock out from him at this weight.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I know people with family from Northwestern New Mexico. They are interesting people to say the least, so I am not at all surprised that Sanchez is so eccentric. People in that part of the country are very unique in their history and how they live their lives.

I enjoy watching Sanchez fight though because he is so intense and optimistic. He seems like he was probably that odd, little dweeb of a kid in middle school that would just go off on you unexpectedley if you bad mouthed him.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Middle school possibly...
He told Stephen Bonnar that he used to hide in the bushes at frat houses and jump out at the last second and knock people out and take off running. He wasn't the sensitive kid that his family thought they had...
Stephen's stories were a lot more cool... he said that most guys at bars took him as some pretty boy and would start sh!t with him and he would end up showing them otherwise.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
haha i love stephen. too bad he took bold and hasnt done great as of late. i still feel bad for him losing those 2 to forrest.