UFC 102 In Porland, OR

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I just read the fights and awhile ago I didnt really care about randy vs. nog but look at it now Im really excited after finding this on MMA weekly.

UFC 102: AUGUST 29, 2009
venue: TBA in Portland, Oregon

Main Bouts:
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (31-5-1; #5 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Randy Couture (16-9; #6 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Keith Jardine (14-5-1; #8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Thiago Silva (13-1; #9 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Jake Rosholt (5-1) vs. Chris Leben (18-7)
-Nate Marquardt (28-8-2; #3 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Demian Maia (10-0; #10 Middleweight in the World)*
-Matt Hamill (7-2) vs. Brandon Vera (10-3)

Preliminary Bouts:
-James Irvin (14-5) vs. Wilson Gouveia (12-6)
-Junior dos Santos (8-1) vs. Justin McCully (9-4)
-Nick Catone (6-1) vs. Mark Munoz (5-1)
-Matt Veach (11-0) vs. Evan Dunham (8-0)
-Gabe Gonzaga (10-4) vs. Chris Tuchscherer (17-1)
-Mike Russow (11-1) vs. Todd Duffee (4-0)

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
All potentially great fights.
Even Chris Leben's. I enjoy his fights when the other guy is dumb enough to stay in the pocket with him.
But Keith and Thiago will be awesome. Nate and Demian should be fun as far as skill set is concerned. Hamill/Vera fight I don't know who'd I'd be cheering for.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
thiago vs jardine hmmm i hope jardine gets a big KO to secure a top spot and boost his confidence. vera and hamill....damnit i really enjoy both of them. matt makes me happy when he wins because he is so excited. vera when hes on pooint is a stud and very fun to watch but hes had some gun shy fights.

bdmcleod

Awards
Maia and Marquardt is going to be awesome. The ground battle between them is going to be a spectacle.
Rosholt can take a hit, and Leben can't defend the takedown. I see Rosholt being a good underdog play. And if he wins it will be via LnP UD.
Vera vs. Hamill is a tossup. Vera has the ability to give anyone in the division trouble. He also doesn't always show up ready to fight.
Couture beats Nog because Nog won't be able to get the fight to the ground. Even if he does, Couture took the best BJJ practicioner in the world, Jacare, to a draw in a grappling match.
And I think Jardine's awkward style will give Thiago fits. And lead to a UD for Jardine.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why they are promoting four fighters all coming off losses as the main and co-main event is beyond me. Considering that Maia/Nate is for the #1 contender spot, it would seem that would be a better main event? Anyway, I suppose this is drop-off is to be expected after killer UFC 100/101 + Fedor/Barnett at Affliction.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I agree except some people still don't know Maia/Marquardt too well. They fall in that clump of MW's like Thalas/Kampmann(before he left MW). They've all fought each other but people are barely knowing them by name. At least my degenerate friends...

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah im much more excited about nate vs. maia and jardine vs thiago. i have not seen much of thiago silva for some reason. i think vera and hamill could be a boring fight but i hope it goes well. haha head kicks. i think big nog is too slow.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
If Matt goes for a knockout it might be a good fight with Vera. He's coming off a killer one so he may have a taste for it now.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
If Matt goes for a knockout it might be a good fight with Vera. He's coming off a killer one so he may have a taste for it now.
I'm thinking the Mark Munoz beheading might make Hamill a little over confident or trigger happy . remember Liddell trying to go for the kill and getting outworked by Jardine ? I'll take Vera by decision . Albeit a lackluster one .

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
vera TKO his career in the UFC is on the line. if he loses or has a fluke hes going to be prelims

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maia and Marquardt is going to be awesome. The ground battle between them is going to be a spectacle.
Rosholt can take a hit, and Leben can't defend the takedown. I see Rosholt being a good underdog play. And if he wins it will be via LnP UD.
Vera vs. Hamill is a tossup. Vera has the ability to give anyone in the division trouble. He also doesn't always show up ready to fight.
Couture beats Nog because Nog won't be able to get the fight to the ground. Even if he does, Couture took the best BJJ practicioner in the world, Jacare, to a draw in a grappling match.
And I think Jardine's awkward style will give Thiago fits. And lead to a UD for Jardine.
Using a grappling match against a MW as support for a MMA match is kinda weak. Strikes change everything; that's why it is not uncommon to see a blue/purple submit a BB in a fight.

bdmcleod

Awards
Using a grappling match against a MW as support for a MMA match is kinda weak. Strikes change everything; that's why it is not uncommon to see a blue/purple submit a BB in a fight.
Strikes do change everything. But how often do you see Nog attack from the bottom with strikes?
I wasn't trying to use MMA math. Just showing that Randy holds his own against pure JJ'ers. And Jacare may cut to middleweight, but he wasn't at 185 for the exhibition. And Randy's natural weight is 220-230 ish. Making the size difference rougly 15-20 pounds.
I see Couture taking this one 65% of the time.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i def think randy will win. big nog is a very cool guy tho. battle of the gramps

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
HAHAHA I hope neither of them poop their pants

Joe Rogan: "I'm here with a very happy _____ what are you thoughts on the fight"
______: "I remember when this used to be all orange groves far as the eye could see..."

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strikes do change everything. But how often do you see Nog attack from the bottom with strikes?
I wasn't trying to use MMA math. Just showing that Randy holds his own against pure JJ'ers. And Jacare may cut to middleweight, but he wasn't at 185 for the exhibition. And Randy's natural weight is 220-230 ish. Making the size difference rougly 15-20 pounds.
I see Couture taking this one 65% of the time.
Still a weak point, though. For example, Roan Carneiro, a highly regarded, legit BB, was subbed by Kevin Burns, a blue belt. In a grappling match, this would have never happened, but, in MMA, **** changes.

bdmcleod

Awards
Carneiro isn't a MMA'ist. Hes a JJ guy fighting MMA matches. He also got subbed by fitch,FWIW.
Couture is extremely well rounded. And I don't see how you can discredit his experience with JJ guys like Gonzaga, his loss to Ricco 7 years ago, Jacare, etc.. And then compare the situation to Carneiro and Burns.
I also rewatched Jacare Couture. Jacare wasn't outweighed by a whole lot, maybe 10 pounds. So your HW vs. MW point was simply untrue.
Is your contention that you think Nog will win? Or that Couture doesn't have the MMA-oriented submission game to keep up?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carneiro isn't a MMA'ist. Hes a JJ guy fighting MMA matches. He also got subbed by fitch,FWIW.
Couture is extremely well rounded. And I don't see how you can discredit his experience with JJ guys like Gonzaga, his loss to Ricco 7 years ago, Jacare, etc.. And then compare the situation to Carneiro and Burns.
I also rewatched Jacare Couture. Jacare wasn't outweighed by a whole lot, maybe 10 pounds. So your HW vs. MW point was simply untrue.
Is your contention that you think Nog will win? Or that Couture doesn't have the MMA-oriented submission game to keep up?
Fitch is a BB under Dave Camarillo, BTW.

Jacare fights at 83kg (~183 lbs) and competes in grappling in the 77-87kg class (~191 lb max weight). Just for sake of argument, let's say he was 200 against Couture, which would be a 20-30 lb weight difference favoring Couture. Rod Nog is ~240 lbs, which puts Couture in a 10-20 lb deficit. Unlike Gonzaga, Couture will not rape Nog of his heart. Traditionally, Couture has had problems with dominant grapplers with his only W against the aforementioned Gonzaga.

However, like Wand and other PRIDE stalwarts, Nog seems to have just been in too many wars and is not the same fighter (he looked bad against Herring, Tim, and Mir). In a 3-round fight, I give it to Couture via control, but in a 5-round fight, I would give it to Nog via sub.

bdmcleod

Awards
I still am saying jacare doesn't compete at his walking weight and he cuts to 191, something he wouldnt need to do for the exhibition.And I thought couture weighed 223 against Brock?
I lol'ed at the raping of the soul comment. Nice.
I just have a hard time seeing nog win. Coutures wrestling will dictate where the fight will go. And nog showed holes against herring, Mir, and timmy standing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still am saying jacare doesn't compete at his walking weight and he cuts to 191, something he wouldnt need to do for the exhibition.And I thought couture weighed 223 against Brock?
I lol'ed at the raping of the soul comment. Nice.
I just have a hard time seeing nog win. Coutures wrestling will dictate where the fight will go. And nog showed holes against herring, Mir, and timmy standing.
Couture was really light, even for him, against Brock. Jacare cuts to 183 these days and he hasn't competed in ADCC since '05.

Also, there is no such thing as the world's best grappler. Jacare, Marcelo, Drysdale, Maia, Roger, Monson, etc. are amongst the world's greatest, but it's impossible to say who is the greatest.

bdmcleod

Awards
Couture was really light, even for him, against Brock. Jacare cuts to 183 these days and he hasn't competed in ADCC since '05.

Also, there is no such thing as the world's best grappler. Jacare, Marcelo, Drysdale, Maia, Roger, Monson, etc. are amongst the world's greatest, but it's impossible to say who is the greatest.
Very true. I made the "worlds best" comment because many casual fans don't know Jacare. So I said it to give some credence to his name, as he was MW ADCC champion before Maia, and if I recall, beat Maia at ADCC awhile ago.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very true. I made the "worlds best" comment because many casual fans don't know Jacare. So I said it to give some credence to his name, as he was MW ADCC champion before Maia, and if I recall, beat Maia at ADCC awhile ago.
Not sure about the Maia thing, but he does have amazing BJJ/submission grappling.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
nogs stand up looked terrible. he was lucky to squeek out wins. i think randy will gnp him after a couple knockdowns. randy might of come in light to try and have good cardio....oh well it didnt work haha.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Rand could drop weight again since Chuck is out of work. Hell Dana could give chuck one last fight against his old nemesis. haha

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Damn! But his face says 63 ;)
You're right. When I saw him the first time I was getting into MMA, I thought he was on the verge of retiring, then I looked up his age and he's pretty young and has an extensive win record.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah he might be 33 but MMA age hes 46 as said/seen many palces on these forums.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Main Bouts:
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (31-5-1; #5 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Randy Couture (16-9; #6 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Keith Jardine (14-5-1; #8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Thiago Silva (13-1; #9 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Jake Rosholt (5-1) vs. Chris Leben (18-7)
-Nate Marquardt (28-8-2; #3 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Demian Maia (10-0; #10 Middleweight in the World)*
-Matt Hamill (7-2) vs. Brandon Vera (10-3)

Preliminary Bouts:
-James Irvin (14-5) vs. Wilson Gouveia (12-6)
-Junior dos Santos (8-1) vs. Justin McCully (9-4)
-Nick Catone (6-1) vs. Mark Munoz (5-1)
-Matt Veach (11-0) vs. Evan Dunham (8-0)
-Gabe Gonzaga (10-4) vs. Chris Tuchscherer (17-1)
-Mike Russow (11-1) vs. Todd Duffee (4-0)
This is a pretty interesting card. It may lack the consequences of others, but there are some good matchups.

I see Nog-Couture going to decision with Couture getting the victory. I've always thought Couture was a bad matchup for Nog, but both are on the decline. How much of Nog's performance against Mir was due to injury/staph? It's a good fight for both of them though because I don't think of them can handle an explosive or quick HW anymore.

Jardine-Silva : Silva's style of striking is to come right at you Chute Boxe style and that is what Jardine has trouble dealing with. If Silva can get a knockdown, he has some nasty GnP to finish. Silva by KO.

Rosholt is still green and Leben has never moved beyond gatekeeper. This is a good test for both. Can Rosholt avoid the big punch? Can Leben avoid getting smothered on the ground? I take Leben by TKO.

Marquardt-Maia is awesome too. Huge test for Maia. I'm a semi-homer for Marquardt so I'll take him by TKO.

Hamill-Vera : same questions as Rosholt-Leben. Hamill's standup is so stiff and awkward yet he seems to get more out of it than he should. Given his love of standing lately though, I pick Vera to TKO him.

Undercard:
I've always thought that GG was something special, but he hasn't lived up to his potential. I haven't fully given up on him. Want to see how he rebounds. Tuchscherer has a win over Jimmy Ambriz and nearly won Yamma so he's the real deal. :lol:

Russow really impressed me against Sergei in Pride (even in the loss). Excited to see what he has to offer the shifting but open HW division.

Gouveia should be able to take out Irvin, but he has a history of underachieving.

Dos has big power and supposedly good jits, but let's see how he does against a wrestler. McCully blows so unless Dos has a huge deficiency, he should take this by KO/sub. Dos isn't getting the press that Cain or Carwin are, but he could be equal to them as up-and-comers (note: I'm not sold on Carwin, he's a little too clumsy but has big power and some good wrestling credentials.).

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i do agree with you but i think the sandman will win. i also hate GG. im excited for this card as you all know.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Damn!!!!!!!
I'm sure I said this somewhere in here (one of these threads) but Swick is supposedly fighting Kampman at UFC103. KNEW IT.
awesome

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
MMA 17