who hates cheick kongo?

time lord

time lord

Awards
or better yet who hates dana white for continually promoting this joke?

f$ck you dana white for promoting every scary looking no talent ass-clown who steps out of a gym!! do you just patrol gyms, find the largest dude there, say "hey, you look scary to the average american who knows jack sh$t about mma, wanna be in the ufc?"

ARGH!!!

somebody tell kongo to get out of the gym and onto the damn mat. he's a disgrace to MMA and i'm sick of him being perpetrated upon the masses as a good fighter. it makes real fighters look bad. and while we're on the subject of telling kongo things... somebody tell him he's a f$cking monster! he fights like he believes he's 185lbs. what a giant vagina. if there is a psychological disorder where you're a huge mutant who thinks you're a tiny 5 year old kongo definately has it... and if it doesn't exist then the condition should be named after him.

i'm done.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I guess everyone is entitled to their opionion. I like Congo. Personally I preferred him vs cain. He rocked cain several times which shows his stand up is excellent & getting better. Also his groud game is improving very slowly tho!

It's Cain I thought was the joke in that fight. He kept taking Kongo down out of desparation because he knew he had no other chance and he was totally USELESS there other than repeated hamerfists/rabbit punches. Other than the takedown Cain had nothing standing or on the ground.

France & Holland put out some excellent striking talent!

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I've never hated the guy but my opinion of him definetly dropped somewhat after reading the pre-fight interview where Kongo was saying that he couldn't understand why Cain would want to fight someone such as himself at this stage of his(Cain's) career . I hope his confusion was alleviated Sat night . Save the sh!t talking big man .

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
He is simply like many other one-dimensional fighters that are great at one thing (kickboxing) come into MMA and are a "work in progress" to develope overall MMA skill. This takes time. The UFC's job is to promote its fighters and he has beaten (and also lost to) some good guys. Nobody top 10, except for Mirko at the time. Nevermind the HW division is very thin as is and I think Mir simply called him out cause he knows he can take him down easy and sub'em.

Anyways, you should watch some of his much older fights in the UFC and you will see what I am talking about. Sounds like you just wanted to rant.....there is a specific site for this type of childish ranting/blabber, its called sherdog.com.

time lord

time lord

Awards
He is simply like many other one-dimensional fighters that are great at one thing (kickboxing) come into MMA and are a "work in progress" to develope overall MMA skill. This takes time. The UFC's job is to promote its fighters and he has beaten (and also lost to) some good guys. Nobody top 10, except for Mirko at the time. Nevermind the HW division is very thin as is and I think Mir simply called him out cause he knows he can take him down easy and sub'em.

Anyways, you should watch some of his much older fights in the UFC and you will see what I am talking about. Sounds like you just wanted to rant.....there is a specific site for this type of childish ranting/blabber, its called sherdog.com.

i've watched all his fights... and he has not evolved. he has a chance against anyone dumb enough to stand in the way of his sloppy striking. that's the thing w/ hvywts. that much force behind any given punch and it's lights out. the majority of hvywts can get away with terribly poor striking b/c they never have to develop it past that critical point where they can just get by. kongo is and has been the kind of fighter that seems content to just get by. i don't think he should every be promoted so highly in the card... as a purist i get no pleasure in seeing two mutants rain ugly punches all over each other till one gets caught. it sets up a forgone conclusion. mix it up, use some skill, surprise and wow me. that's all im saying.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
I agree that he has not been very vocal about developing, but he has make good progress since UFC64.

In regards to the promoting on the card, they had great fights but nothing else really worthy of being a co-main event status.

I hear you on the mix, which most casual fans dont care/know about, but rather prefer that 'mutant punching'. I prefer a mixed match as well, but also hate when wrestlers or BJJ's rely on that which they have known for years and do not aspire to improve (Feliho springs to mind) as well. That being said, these guys are either getting KO'd or dominated (like Cain did to Kongo) and are getting smarter. Most of the MMA guys out there talk alot about continually improving and being 'well rounded'. These 'get bys' will be gone or learn soon enough.

time lord

time lord

Awards
i agree that usually the people content to "get by" eventually just go away. however, in the case of kongo specifically, he doesn't.

dana white seems to have some strange fascination with him. i understand that the ufc is a business, and therefore will promote whomever they perceive as having the greatest ability to draw spectators, but as of late it seems that with events happening at the rate of almost one per month, that fighters getting built up the most are far from being the best actual fighters... it just pains me that mma as its being sold to the the vast majority of the public isn't true mma. it's just two scary looking guys who talk a lot of sh$t wearing 4oz gloves swinging until one doesn't miss. sigh...

i miss PRIDE. at least when they did their version of throwing two bangers together it was ridiculous enough to be entertaining... i.e. hong man choi, bob sapp, etc.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
Well, the UFC promotion thing is just them, being well them/Dana. How many times do we hear "greatest fight in UFC history" "these are two legends of the sport about to clash at their prime", or "superduper crazy announcment that is going to shock the world". lol After a while you just get used to the BS and put whats happening in perspective.

While plenty of those brawler fights are being put together to sell tickets, it is the most entertaining aspect from a casual viewers perspective. Lately, there have been good, technical chess match fights in the WEC and UFN's instead of the main events.

I miss pride too, esp. the tournies and the entrance theatrics. :) Great stuff.

henryhavoc

Awards
I have to disagree with the whole hating Kongo idea - I love him and wanted him to win over Cain. He's not a terrible fighter, I mean he fights out of wolfslair, just like the other top UK fighters, and he came in on three weeks notice and almost knocked Cain out multiple times.

That aside, I miss pride just as much as you guys. Freak shows were great lol.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How can you hate a fighter? so silly really. He is 1 dimensional and the matchup was a bad one for him. Giving a guy with no ground game a fight with a top level wrestler who has a decent chin and gnp? come on

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kongo has really good striking, but his TD defense/overall grappling is sub-par. I hate his attitude and am not a fan of his by any means, either.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was over at a friend's house house watching UFC99 and this fight was def the 1 that everyone got into. I wanted Congo to win but lost a lot of respect for him as his wrestling was horrible(I get the whole short notice and Cain is a great wrestler) and his game plan sucked(well more like his in fight instincts). He seemed to go down without much effort on Cain's part. I thought it was pretty dumb of him to try and clinch with Cain especially when he had him rocked.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
dude UFC promoting him???? yeah right wheres his title shot? they dont promote him much they know he has huge flaws and hes showed that to us. they promote lesner. im glad you dont like him because i dont like him at all and i thought ufc 99 was so funny how he got pounded for 12 mins on the ground but it did suck seeing cain get rocked 3 times. you can call out dana or the ufc promoting him because the HW devision is not good but getting better much faster.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
by the way look at where hes been on the card mostly. theres been times he was in the un air'ed prelims and really low on the undercard.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
If you guys hated kongo so much what about Cain. He kept taking down a subpar grappler and sucked big time. Could not finish someone who is not a grappler and yet everyone give him praises. My hats off to kongo for getting up repeatedly with they guy taking him down. Cain did the take down and was USELESS there. Kongo was phenomenal standing in the few short minutes he had playing into his strengths. Cain was chicken **** to stand and looked like **** on the ground. Love to see Kongo's take down defense & grappling inprove. Then we'll have a good heavy, not this joke called Cain.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
cains new he will get better. a tall ripped guy like that is hard to keep down his core is probably strong as hell and long arms made it hard to finish. im not saying that hard but i think he wanted to secure a win. cain is not a joke but hes not quite at that top elite level yet and we saw that by getting caught. i am a cain fan but im not saying hes the ****.