affliction trilogy fedor vs barnett

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
While details continue to slowly surface regarding Affliction's third event, the long-rumored headlining bout between WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC champion Josh Barnett is finally official.

Affliction Clothing recently added the Aug. event's fight poster to the home page of its official website.

As previously rumored, the event will take place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., the same site as Affliction's previous two efforts.

While no official announcements have been made regarding additional bouts for the card, the event's poster does advertise appearances by Gegard Mousasi, Ben Rothwell, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Tim Sylvia, Mark Hominick, Dan Lauzon, Chris Horodecki and Paul Buentello.

Earlier this month, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio told MMAjunkie.com Radio that he was working on securing a Buentello vs. Sylvia matchup, as well as a rescheduled showdown between Horodecki and Lauzon.

Despite the informal announcement, ticket information for the event has not yet been listed on Ticketmaster.com, and the Honda Center's official website also does not yet list the event.

The rumored fight card for the event currently includes:

Champ Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett (for WAMMA heavyweight title)
Vitor Belfort vs. Gegard Mousasi*
Paul Buentello vs. Tim Sylvia*
Paul Daley vs. Jay Hieron*
Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon*
Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. TBA
Ben Rothwell vs. TBA
Mark Hominick vs. TBA
* - Not officially announced

figured some of u guys would like to see this

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think fedor wins, however after last night and the glass jaw display of Arlovski, one never knows.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
i think fedor wins... but who knows anyone can be beatin...

time lord

time lord

Awards
i don't really see fedor having any trouble here... barnett hasn't had an outstanding fight in over two years. don't let the avi trick you i'm not biased at all :)

Kegger

Awards
Mousasi is going to be fighting Babalu. I don't know what happened to Belfort?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mousasi is going to be fighting Babalu. I don't know what happened to Belfort?
Mousasi proposed a catch-weight fight of 195, but Vitor only wanted the fight at 185. Although Mousasi has fought almost his entire career as a MW, he is moving up and is somewhere in the 215-220 range currently.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Fedor all day.

Belfort needs to re-sign with the UFC already.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor all day.

Belfort needs to re-sign with the UFC already.
He makes much more with Affliction than he would with the UFC (he made 200k for his KO over Lindland) and his style is better suited for a ring than the cage.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Agreed but sometimes there more motivation than money for an individual.

Like facing the best in the world at your weight class. Something which Belfort used to do.

What do you mean by his style? I agree he seems to be doing much better in rings than in the cage, but is this down to his style? Or simply maturing his techniques since his stint in the cage with top level competition.

Didnt expect his KO of the law at all.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed but sometimes there more motivation than money for an individual.

Like facing the best in the world at your weight class. Something which Belfort used to do.

What do you mean by his style? I agree he seems to be doing much better in rings than in the cage, but is this down to his style? Or simply maturing his techniques since his stint in the cage with top level competition.

Didnt expect his KO of the law at all.
Elite strikers tend to do better in a ring (e.g. CC, Rog Nog) than a cage. The cage favors wrestlers with a GnP style, while the ring favors striking more. Vitor has always been a tad over-inflated for his frame and 185 fits him nicely.

His KO over Lindland was textbook; the best way to beat him is to rush him at the beginning before his feet get set. Lindland, an elite wrestler, is more of a methodical, grind down your opponent fighter, but he is prone to KO's in the early portions of a fight (e.g. Terrell).

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah thats the fight i was trying to think of, with terrel.

Damn he had some potential.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
This fight looks interesting in some ways. Barnetts good on the ground but he looked horrible against Fedor's Brother standing.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Dude Poopy Pants was pulled from the fight card because he was turned to hamburger by a 50 year old Ray Mercer.

Poopy Pants = Tim Sylvia

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
This fight looks interesting in some ways. Barnetts good on the ground but he looked horrible against Fedor's Brother standing.
He also perplexed me against Yvel . Barnett had Gill mounted for several minutes with multiple oppurtunities for an armbar as Yvel was swinging up from the ground , but Josh just couldn't pull the trigger . fedor wouldv'e had that arm pretzeled in a matter of seconds . i can however see the argument of J.B. being the number 1 contender outside the UFC , really who else is there ?-no more new years eve freak shows pretty please . Josh will get handled in convincing fashion and perhaps then the powers that be will see fit to make Fedor/UFC become a reality .

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
Fedor vs. Barnett - mehhh.

I am much more excited about the Vitor/Gerard and Babalu vs. anybody really good fights.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor vs. Barnett - mehhh.

I am much more excited about the Vitor/Gerard and Babalu vs. anybody really good fights.
Mousasi is fighting Babalu and Vitor isn't matched yet.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
Mousasi is fighting Babalu and Vitor isn't matched yet.
I knew that, but not at 11pm, lol. I recall Gerard has stated many times that he cannot make 185 anymore (and vacated his DREAM title) and Vitor was not willing to do a catchweight/205lb bout. That would have been great match, but this one is even more relivent to the LHW division. If he can finish Babalu that will be making a big, big statement in his US debut. Hopefully, things will go well for him....

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
fedor has this barrnet is going to get worn down.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Nice of HDNet for showing the undercard for free...
I hope Dan Lauzon fakes more kicks to the groin.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
omg this is going to sound dumb but how do u order this ppv? i never order ppvs and my friend who orders the ufc ppvs is asking me how to order this 1.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
omg this is going to sound dumb but how do u order this ppv? i never order ppvs and my friend who orders the ufc ppvs is asking me how to order this 1.
You need a digital receiver and you can either call your service provider or press a certain button to buy the event.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
how do you guys even think this fight is gonig to go? Rodja...?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think Fedor will light Barnett up on the feet. He'll feel him out for a short while, there will be a few brief exchanges and then Fedor realizes how much faster he is than Barnett. Fedor will knock him down and eventually GnP him to a finish in the 2nd.

Vitor's getting too much hype for his Lindland KO. Santiago is not an easy fight at all, but I'll give Vitor a very slight edge to get the decision victory.

I think Mousasi is the real deal in terms of talent. He'll be the next guy to rise up to level of the Machida's, GSPs, Fedors, Silvas. He should dominate Babalu standing and I look for a TKO stoppage in the second. But it is a new weightclass and a tough opponent for Gregard.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
OMG THE VITOR KO TO linland was some of the most nasty violent things ever lol. i think hes a fighter and will win. hes going to stay at 185 and his body looks way different now, he lost a lot of lean mass.

I think the fedor fight will go 3 rounds and barnett will get gassed and get TKO after trying to sudmit fedor and gets tired.

I think sobral has had a good litle streak but i think hes to much of a brawler and gets beat some how. i cant decided if i like him or not.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
damn his throws are sick. id like to see him judo throw fat barnett haha

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update: Fedor-Barnett Bout in Jeopardy
Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
Update: Fedor-Barnett Bout in Jeopardy
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
by Loretta Hunt ([email protected])

Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global are looking for a new opponent to face Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Multiple sources have told Sherdog.com that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Josh Barnett after a positive result on a pre-fight test. Calls to Affliction Entertainment were not immediately returned. The CSAC said a comprehensive statement would be issued Wednesday.

Barnett said he had not been notified of any issues with his eligibility as of Tuesday evening.

“I took my test three weeks ago. I would have thought I would have heard something by now,” Barnett told Sherdog.com.

However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he had not checked his phone messages recently and later added, “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face the world’s No. 1 heavyweight on 11 days’ notice, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. One source told Sherdog.com that Emelianenko will have the opportunity to choose between Belfort and Bobby Lashley. Lashley has denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett, though.

"I don't know if I would want it right now. Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again," he said. "That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now. A lot of people would say that might be a money fight. They figure, 'If we give him enough money, will he do it?' That's what people tend to look at. I don't want to get into fighting for the money so much right now.”

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is scheduled to face American Top Team standout Jorge Santiago in a middleweight bout on the Aug. 1 card.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!

dude i know he uses. he pretty much has gyno (prolly fat not breast tissue) but still. thats why i dislike other fight promotions that do not test (im not talking about affliction because they do)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is so ridiculous. Lashley? I like Vitor as much as the next guy, bit he is decent at 205, let alone against Fedor at heavyweight. if this is true Barnett is a joke.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hopefully this is another "Kimo" report.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
Vitor would not be a good replacment at all. Nevermind that he is obviously not a true HW, he has been training and pre-cutting/reducing for a 185lb bout! It would be a good fight, but they should find a worthy replacement, even if that means searching outside their current fold.

Hopefully, this is a false report. Barnett was caught once already for gear, which was along time ago and I would hope he learned his lession. Then again, it could be something that has appeared in these 'legal suppliments' out there.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep in mind this is the CSAC: the notoriously retarded athletic commission that cannot seem to differentiate between a steroid and a doughnut molecule on a GC/MS assay.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Wow... That's just retarded... Fedor manhandled all heavyweights he's fought, I can only begin to imagine what he'll do to Vitor if that does indeed become a reality.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Attencio confirmed it, fight is cancelled per mmamania.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Affliction has problems. All the not so much build up of semi suspense we've endured is down the drain.

Barnett should have to fight Ken Shamrock for the roid belt. Damn i need to copyright that sh!t.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mmanews is confirming that Jorge Santiago has been informed he will not be fighting Vitor and Vitor will in fact be fighting Fedor. All aboard the Vitor wagon!!!! If he wins, he is signed by Dana in 30 seconds (he wont win though)

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how much weight he can gain in so little time...

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Barnett is such a fool . He was the most legitimate threat to Fedor outside the UFC and this was a golden oppurtunity for him . Whatevfer , just give Emiliananko someone to steamroll and get him in the octogon for F**k's sake . Vitor ? Idk , kinda interesting I guess . As long as Fedor fights we'll get the PPV . If Josh is dumb enough to get his UFC title stripped for juice , then he probably didn't deserve another title shot anyway .

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah once a juicer always a juicer. i still sorta like him tho it jsut disappoints e i wont get to see this bout. is he going to say he used an OTC supplement? it was just tribulus and novadex xt!!!! i swear!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah once a juicer always a juicer. i still sorta like him tho it jsut disappoints e i wont get to see this bout. is he going to say he used an OTC supplement? it was just tribulus and novadex xt!!!! i swear!
He was taking the same stuff Manny Ramirez was taking :paranoid:

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
he's gonna say it's estrogen rebound.....and I am sure it is! LOL!

He knows he is outclassed so he juiced. Either way it was the only chance he had because he's really not that good and he knows it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why in the hell would he use SuperDrol, of all compounds?

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
oh my god this is rubbish!!! atleast he is fighting vitor... and not lashley that would just be silly!

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
serious Drostanolone or masteron. he took those prolly didnt go buy superdrol or mdrol whatever the name is now. he still looks like **** which is funny. he has such a weird nasty body for being ranked #2. fedor fought vitor before.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
manny got tested many times since they started testing. he tested for hCG. I have no idea why, either cuz he used steroids and thats what he used to heal himself or wanted a little edge or used back in the day before testing and felt like he never was the same.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
serious Drostanolone or masteron. he took those prolly didnt go buy superdrol or mdrol whatever the name is now. he still looks like **** which is funny. he has such a weird nasty body for being ranked #2. fedor fought vitor before.
Fedor never fought Vitor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pitt6691 MMA 1
MMA 28
MMA 37
MrBrightside General Chat 57
jas123 MMA 6