Hughes Vs. Serra

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I am glad hughes won and he did control the fight 2nd and 3rd round. but the first round he did get dropped and the other rounds could have been scored either way. What do you guys think? Who should of got the decision?

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was too bad Hughes took a head bunt right off the bat:S, 2nd hughes won, 3rd I think hughes just took it but serra did good at the end so hmm I wish it was a 5 round fight lol I would like to see a rematch.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought it was a draw based on the 3rd rd, but it could have gone either way.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hughes fought not to lose. That makes me hate him even more.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, it was very unfortunate that he was just fighting to win on judges card rather than going for anything, and I mean anything at all. He didn't do Sh!t.

RedDragon73

RedDragon73

Awards
Serra came to fight. Hughes got it with the lay and pray. I had it as a draw, but I kinda knew going in that if it was close Hughes would get the nod.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hughes without a shadow of a doubt for me and i hate the guy.

Serra with a head clash and a back of the head shot in rd1 and a weak follow up, Hughes recovered and took him down with an excellent sweep/slam.

After that headclash Hughes was never really there, his eyes were totally glazed.

He came in shape, his striking (in the first 90secs before the clash) looked the most crisp it ever has, and his footwork was much better.

Serra is too small for the stronger guys in the division, he has a KO power and sub def but thats about it in terms of what he brings to the top level.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Serra would do a lot better dropping down a weight class... I can see a BJ x Serra being a VERY nice matchup.

Both BJJ blackbelts and both with amazing strikes. Now that would be quite a nice brawl.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Serra would do a lot better dropping down a weight class... I can see a BJ x Serra being a VERY nice matchup.

Both BJJ blackbelts and both with amazing strikes. Now that would be quite a nice brawl.
I take it you never saw their first fight.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I actually have watched it, but considering they are nowhere near to what they were backwhen and that both their styles have changed a lot and skills have increased dramatically I still think it would be a great brawl.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I had it :
round 1 - Hughes (headbutt caused the knockdown and following punishment, that shouldn't be scored)
round 2 - Hughes
round 3 - Serra

Serra looked a lot better than I thought he would, and it's clear that Hughes should retire if he's eeking out wins over Serra.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jas, i had it like you did man.

Serra could continue to be a gate keeper at 155 but he'd have the same problems as sherk, his style is too predictable and his limbs are tiny.

BJ would kill him imo. I cant stand BJ as a person but why anyone thinks florian will beat him is beyond me.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it will be interesting to see how BJ responds to the GSP demolition. Does that get to him, does he come in out of shape, etc...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if he comes in unmotivated, KFlo has a shot, a small one but a shot none the less

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
k flo works his ass off if bj comes a little out of shape he will lose. anything below 90%.

and yes weed motivates bj hahaha

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Hughes rightfully got the decision. Not in the manner that he and everyone else not on Serra's side would have wanted hahaha. I hope this lights a fire for him with his possible next fight.

I hope BJ's age cancer hits him in this fight. Its going around... Chuck/Hughes/Sherk. If it does for fk sake K flo eat some steaks and pick up some dumbells.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hughes rightfully got the decision. Not in the manner that he and everyone else not on Serra's side would have wanted hahaha. I hope this lights a fire for him with his possible next fight.

I hope BJ's age cancer hits him in this fight. Its going around... Chuck/Hughes/Sherk.
Huh?

They're all falling off for different reasons, but it is not completely age related.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Well saying age is the reason is pretty vague but Chuck(39) is being surpassed by younger and more well rounded fighters. Hughes (35).... I'd say age or injuries..something is missing from the guy he was from before. Sherk (35) might not be age as much as he's forgetting what his foundation is and trying to knock people out. I'd just rather say age since these guy's would probably have beat some of the people they've fought more recently but 3, 4 or 5 years ago when they were on top. Not that Sherk was ever entirely on top of their game :D

BJ only being 30 isn't promising. Mike Brown's older than Penn.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's more of a testament to the evolution of MMA than the downfall of those fighters. Couture, Fedor, Nog, even GSP have remained at the top for over 5 years because they continue to evolve and add new tools to their arsenal while forging a way to successfully intertwining them into their existing skill-set.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Very accurate for each of these fighters, but Hughes has also lost something inside him. GSP does now what he used to do to dominate while he was champion. GSP's strength and superior wrestling is what Hughes used to have in abundance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very accurate for each of these fighters, but Hughes has also lost something inside him. GSP does now what he used to do to dominate while he was champion. GSP's strength and superior wrestling is what Hughes used to have in abundance.
Hughes has always been lazy (he only trained for a few weeks before he fought Sherk) and didn't stay ahead of the game.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Ah ok. That would better explain him falling off so easily.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah ok. That would better explain him falling off so easily.
It's pretty precipitous after GSP I. Actually, the first sign was Penn I, but it was pretty apparent that he wouldn't hold it for much longer after GSP I. He won via spinning armbar (a blue belt technique) against a mentally over-matched GSP. Times have changed and Hughes has not kept up with the current trend.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
So many guys these days have so many skills it takes a few fights to really find holes.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have heard that Hughes could be looking at Swick in the near future. Which could be a brutal ko against the farm boy

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
That wouldn't be bad. Swick needs real fight's... or in this case a big name.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i liked hughes a lot but i gotta root for the up comer mike swick because hes flat out fk'n sick. hes very fun to watch and i used to live near san jose.

bdmcleod

Awards
Hughes may have been dropped in the first, but it was the result of two illegal blows. First the headbutt, followed to the punch to the back of the head. And while it wasn't apparent at first, it was caught before the round ended. And scored appropriately.
Therefore the "dropping" of Hughes had no effect on the scoring of round 1. You can't earn points for an advantage gained by an illegal strike.
I would be interested in hearing how each judge scored each round.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah i agree with you i still think hes damn good but these up coming guys are faster and stronger than him and hes going to get tko'ed.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Is that a for sure Hughes/Swick? I'd like to see Kampman fight Swick. After that Carlos fight he's not been heard from.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Workout Logs 0
Mjolnir MMA 10
rubberring General Chat 4
Alexander MMA 62
jas123 MMA 47