UFC Undisputed 2009, thoughts?

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Well, I've been playing it for a few days and there are somethings in the career mode I do not like. Over all its been good though. Its a game best played with a group of friends. Just wanted to know what everybody else thinks of it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like it. I wasn't thrilled about my "last fight" prior to forced retirement to be a flash KO in the first 10 seconds by Rampage, but apart from that, I've enjoyed it.

I wished the career mode was longer, but I like the game.

gametag
"VolcomX311"

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
Good game overall, but, way too much time spent with the emails for my liking - where's my delete all function?

And so many favorite fighters missing (Rizzo, Royce, Couture) - hopefully available as downloads later on. Man, I'd love to chop out some legs with Pedro Rizzo's leg kicks..... That and the inability to train with Cro Cop.

Heaps of fun so far tho, I spent the first day recreating matchups I wanted to see again (Liddell vs. Rashad or anyone vs. Lesnar)

:thumbsup:

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
I have been doing the career mode. I figured if I fought I'd be a middleweight. I'm 15-3 right now, with all 3 losses coming from Thales Leites. I CAN NOT STOP HIS GROUND GAME TO SAVE MY LIFE! He shoots, takes me down, basically just treats me like a rag doll. Pounds me out easily or taps me out. Thats what sucks. You move up the ranks too quickly but your skills do not progress at the same rate. My overall skills are like a 50 and I'm fighting guys who are 80's and 90's. Certain guys ground game are just unstoppable.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol ya ur guy will basically suck forever.
I chose Muay Tai(kind of a mistake) and Judo(another kind of mistake) at welterweight(simply because it has the least amount of BJJ fights). So I had no KO strikes(LB button) for a good while so I was going through wars with guys that sucked.
Now I just mix up my kicks and if they get in too close punch. It wears them out quick and with the Muay Tai background if they shoot in while u r head kicking u will knee them which is great. I try and stay off the ground as much as possible since it is hard to get back up even if u start on top.
I have finally started getting my fighter better.
Boxing seems to be the worst striking skill set imo. I would say kickboxing would be the best since u get the head kick right away.
I dont think it really matters as far as the ground goes.
Whatever yall do dont pick heavyweight and fight Brock Lesnar. They dont play when it comes to his power and takedowns. His record will suck but he will KO u in a flash.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
FINALLY!!! I knocked that S.O.B out. I here by want to be refered to as "champ" :veryhappy: 19-3.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i love the game its realistic. with ncaa 09,madden nba any one of those games u get good at it and u always win. in this game theres always a chance u will loose. and thts what i love... im doing welterweight started out 1-3 and have lost 6 5 by tko one by subssion...
shawn gannen 3 looses to him
karo praysian 1 loss to him
garrison brooks

some other guy at the very first match.

just KOed praysian b4 coming into work lol, fighting matt serra next match i love getting a couple games in to relax me b4 lifting.

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
Took out Rampage for the 205 belt a few days ago, on 2nd attempt. Defended against Rashad & Lyota so far. I've noticed that the more fights you take, the more grappling becomes part of your opponents game. At the start it was all sprawl and brawl, which was fine by me (kickboxer/wrestler), but later on they seem to want to clinch a lot more.

All wins and losses by KO or TKO from strikes so far (22-2-0) Lost my very first match, but they still let you in?

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Finished my career 30-3 with all 3 loses to Leites by submission. I didn't get put into the HOF which is kinda odd. My guy is a 71 overall. I'll try it again and hopefully create a better fighter. I never lost once I got the belt. All wins coming by TKO.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Idk how yall lost yalls 1st fight unless yall chose Muay Thai. But I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to video games and restarted if I lost. But now my guy is basically unstoppable. I am undefeated and the welterweight champ.
My guy is a low to mid 80s with Muay Thai and Judo background.
76 strength 91 speed and 80 cardio(or so).
Last 2 fight GSP 2 mins then he was out cold. Ben Saunders 52 seconds then he was laying on his back.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, why the hell does your guy have such a weak chin in the beginning if you choose Muay Thai?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah, why the hell does your guy have such a weak chin in the beginning if you choose Muay Thai?
I wasnt refering to a weak chin. My gripe about Muay Thai was you had no special head attack (ie looping haymaker, superman punch, flying knee, headkick) which is the best way to KO some1.
U really get exposed I would say when you get around 7th depending on the weight class. But that seemed to be my sticking point with most weight classes(middleweight and heavyweight). I would say welterweight is the easiest. It has the least amount of BJJ guys.
I think kickboxing is the best then Muay Thai and boxing isnt an option of me.
I would say wrestling then Judo close behind with BJJ in a distant 3rd because u CANT submit the computer and who actually wants to get GnP when u cant even submit them?
My main advice would be get ur physical attributes up early especially cardio and speed but of course work on strength some.
Have kicks be high on priorty. Takedown defence, takedowns, submission defence, grappling defence, and striking defence all be things to work on.
Dont waste points on submission offence or clinch striking offense or especially defence unless u plan on doing lots of muay thai clinches. Same with clinch takedowns unless u like judo which happens to be pretty bad ass on the game.
BJJ r the worst to fight and apparently every wrestler has KO power in their hands even Matt Hughes who apparently has NEVER 1 punch KO any1 in his career.

If any1 reads that I am impressed lol.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wasnt refering to a weak chin. My gripe about Muay Thai was you had no special head attack (ie looping haymaker, superman punch, flying knee, headkick) which is the best way to KO some1.
U really get exposed I would say when you get around 7th depending on the weight class. But that seemed to be my sticking point with most weight classes(middleweight and heavyweight). I would say welterweight is the easiest. It has the least amount of BJJ guys.
I think kickboxing is the best then Muay Thai and boxing isnt an option of me.
I would say wrestling then Judo close behind with BJJ in a distant 3rd because u CANT submit the computer and who actually wants to get GnP when u cant even submit them?
My main advice would be get ur physical attributes up early especially cardio and speed but of course work on strength some.
Have kicks be high on priorty. Takedown defence, takedowns, submission defence, grappling defence, and striking defence all be things to work on.
Dont waste points on submission offence or clinch striking offense or especially defence unless u plan on doing lots of muay thai clinches. Same with clinch takedowns unless u like judo which happens to be pretty bad ass on the game.
BJJ r the worst to fight and apparently every wrestler has KO power in their hands even Matt Hughes who apparently has NEVER 1 punch KO any1 in his career.

If any1 reads that I am impressed lol.
I agree 100% with everything if we're talking playing against the computer. No doubt high kicks are the way to go and the ground game seems less then necessary when going through career mode.

However, when we're talking online play, I've noticed that an effective ground game is THEE the way to go. My original fighter was basically Mirco Cro Cop in attributes. I was all about my high left KO kick and a weak ass ground and clinch game, but its hard to catch people with that high kick, unlike cpu, who seems to enjoy getting high kicked. Especially playing against friends who are really good at stand up defense, the only option is to take it to the ground. If someone is covering up their head all the time, the high kick just leaves you open for counter high kicks, superman, or take down. I'm not saying the high kick is useless, at a high enough level, that kick has retarded priority & power, but still, the ground game is essential in online play in my experience. I've won more with submissions then strikes.

I've had people fight using ONLY take downs and that gets rough, not to mention my right thumb goes damn near numb.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I played a friend of mine who kept screaming "I have 50 wins." He was really good at countering and got a 10 sec flash KO on me our first fight, but then I kept clinching him and he didnt' know his defense against that and I picked a sub fighter and he never won a match. Me personally, I prefer a striker, my favorite move in the game is the high kick, but a high kick is easy to nullify.

That said, I've been KO'd by plenty of high kicks online as well. I'm just a white belt status, so I still get powned, I've far from mastered the game.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Boxing is the worst against cpu in my opinion as well, but a good enough player and use it well for counter haymakers that jack you if their attributes are high enough, and I think kick boxing is the best as well. Four power strikes! Superman, spinning backhand, high kick and roundhouse, sheeesh! but the Muay Thai clinch, depending on if your opponent knows how to defend it or not, can be damn near cheating, so its relative I think.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
Is there a possiblity in the game to grow yourself a "chucky", that is, a beerfilled potbelly?

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
Is there a possiblity in the game to grow yourself a "chucky", that is, a beerfilled potbelly?
Pretty sure there is actually, one of the physiques is kinda similiar to Cabbage Correira (spelling?). And if you can choose a Tito-like head and make your brow and forehead look like cro magnon man, I don't see why you can't make a Chuck belly :thumbsup:

Can you decide if you want to be southpaw at all? Haven't checked that one yet....

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
i like the game, really good im 27-3 2 loses to john fitch and one to deigo but that was early in my carrer now i have a 20 fight win streak all by either KO's or subs, and my guy overall rating is 80 as of now.

and my guy is Muay thai (gotta love the clinch) and Judo i thought and felt like it was the best figuring with the BJJ all they do in the clinch is pull guard but with judo you have the throws and trips, my other guy im working on is going to be kickboxing and wrestling, so i can get the spining backfist and superman punch plus the high kicks

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Pretty sure there is actually, one of the physiques is kinda similiar to Cabbage Correira (spelling?). And if you can choose a Tito-like head and make your brow and forehead look like cro magnon man, I don't see why you can't make a Chuck belly :thumbsup:

Can you decide if you want to be southpaw at all? Haven't checked that one yet....

Pretty sure there is no south paw my friend. Everyone is a righty.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i like the game, really good im 27-3 2 loses to john fitch and one to deigo but that was early in my carrer now i have a 20 fight win streak all by either KO's or subs, and my guy overall rating is 80 as of now.

and my guy is Muay thai (gotta love the clinch) and Judo i thought and felt like it was the best figuring with the BJJ all they do in the clinch is pull guard but with judo you have the throws and trips, my other guy im working on is going to be kickboxing and wrestling, so i can get the spining backfist and superman punch plus the high kicks
I suck @$$ at those camps, so it takes me damn near my entire career to get a level 3 on a single discipline, like kick boxing. My bitch ass training partner holds me on the ground and rolls until the clock runs down so I don't have the time to do my tasks. It's damn frustrating.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I made a tall ass & swole Muay Thai fighter, bald and ugly as hell with beaty eyes and named him Sagat, from Street Fighter. His reach is insane, but he needed to be at speed 60 before he wasn't throwing punches in slow motion. No eye brows either, he looks mean as hell.

In case some of you didn't know, wearing sponsored logos on your shorts earns you extra credits when you fight, the more exclusive the logo, the more bonus credits. I just learned that yesterday, I thought they were just for show :dunno:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the engine, but the grappling is a bitch to use. Also, why the **** do they have CC as a righty!?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Against dudes that have high BJJ or that try a lot of take downs I basically do nothing the entire fight but throw knees and low kicks. Seems to always kinda interrupt their takedown attempts.

But it's a very very nice game. Well done by THQ.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Do Muay Thai fighters ever get a head kick in their arsenal? My striking for punches and kicks are both 70 right now and the punches still suck and the kicks do not go above the mid section. Wanderlei can do head kicks and he is a MT fighter.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do Muay Thai fighters ever get a head kick in their arsenal? My striking for punches and kicks are both 70 right now and the punches still suck and the kicks do not go above the mid section. Wanderlei can do head kicks and he is a MT fighter.
yes, at level 2 the Muay Thai fighters get a high kick like the kickboxers, but you have to earn it the hard way, through training at MMA camps.

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
yes, at level 2 the Muay Thai fighters get a high kick like the kickboxers, but you have to earn it the hard way, through training at MMA camps.
Any idea what camps?

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Any camp, as long as you pick the camp's strikes trainer, as oppose to their submissions trainer.
Well, I'm on my 3rd sparring partner and no head kicks. All I've ever picked has been striking trainer. Damn

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
matt serra and his dumbass rubber guard always beat me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was disappointed in the amount of fighters in career mode v., the exhibition fighters available to choose. In my WW title-run, for example, I fought GSP seven times. There needs to be much more variability in terms of your fight choices when you're at the "top"; either that, or more game-created fighters available.

I also thought the training should be such that you pick up new, unique techniques from each camp, rather than the stock format they have now with points. I think that really puts a new element in the game, insofar as forcing one to truly tailor their game!

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
I just NOW figured out how you actually train with a camp.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just NOW figured out how you actually train with a camp.
Don't feel bad, I went through two careers from start to finish before knowing that training with a camp wasn't just some bonus you took with you to your next fight, but you actually train there to level up your skills.

I saw an online shot of it and was like, "wait... why does this sparring shot show 3 min on the clock? and why is BJ Penn sitting next to this dudes character? I never got any visits!"

I kept thinking, "Goddang, I've got my strikes up to 90 points and I still haven't gotten that damn superman punch! wtf!" So, no worries, there's a lot of things in that game that isn't very clear and you just experience it through time.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Im going out to pick this up. I thought I could wait on reviews, but to hell with it. See you guys in a bit.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gamertag: "Anabolic311"

I'm still building up my character, but if you ever see me. I won't quit on you right before I lose, which seems to be an issue online, with people obsessed about their rank.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Add me, Volcom: "El Positions". I have two fighters, a WW and a LHW. Can you continue to improve your fighter once the career is over?

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
Just off topic for a second.... ever since this game came out, attendance has been down at the gym I train with, so I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that this game does not replace real life mat time!!:lick:

On the downside, this means I am not the LHW champ :hitwithrock:

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
what they need to have is to allow to drop or raise into another weight class, like anderson silva and such in carrer mode,
Also if you go to the same MMA camp 5 times you unlock there logos which gives you 80cred points and to unlock sponsors like tapout or warrior you just load up all the high cred logos which is worth like 80 onto your shorts.

once you unlock all the sponsors then you can make your shorts how ever.

i think it sucs that you cant pick southpaw i mean fight night you can and the game is like years old.

kickboxing might be the best if you want the specials punches and kicks but with that you give up the muay thai clinch so the trade off is kinda even.

i do good on the MMA camps but when it comes to the judo camps i suck it takes me forever to get to like level 3 but the muay thai its fast

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
Just figured out also that you have to ACTUALLY take the photos and do the interviews to get the cred. :cussing:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Add me, Volcom: "El Positions". I have two fighters, a WW and a LHW. Can you continue to improve your fighter once the career is over?
Each character gets 7 years in career mode and at the end of the 7 years, Dana sends you a forced retirement letter.

No, you have 7 years to be all you can be. I only have one legit LHW. Career Mode is A LOT of work and I probably restarted about 10 times now.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Each character gets 7 years in career mode and at the end of the 7 years, Dana sends you a forced retirement letter.

No, you have 7 years to be all you can be. I only have one legit LHW. Career Mode is A LOT of work and I probably restarted about 10 times now.
Yeah, I have finished a career with both a LHW and a WW. My LHW was a learning experience, to say the least: 22-9. On the other hand, my WW went ~30-3.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I have finished a career with both a LHW and a WW. My LHW was a learning experience, to say the least: 22-9. On the other hand, my WW went ~30-3.
Sweet, definitely add me and we'll roll around (no homo). I haven't gone on Xbox Live in a couple days, but send me an add if you haven't already or I'll send you one when I get on.

Anyone here can add me for the sake of UFC, "Anabolic311"

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Finally got it. Played a good amount of time during the weekend. Real fun, but has some really annoying points.

Like escaping the clinch, and so on. Not to mention that you start having to fight guys like Tito, Forrest, Rampage, etc, while you're still VERY green on the game and your character has flaws all around, so you end up wrecking some losses there, which is quiet annoying.

I do wish they had more fake characters. I'm gonna look into if I can create fighters into the game so they play in the career mode. But I don't think thats possible.

Trying to get my fighter to 100 Ovr with Kickboxing and Wrestling, then I'll try some boxing / BJJ.

TheAmazing1

TheAmazing1

Awards
Just figured out also that you have to ACTUALLY take the photos and do the interviews to get the cred. :cussing:

i would skip all of those, the cred isnt worth the missed training time, once you go through career and unlock sponsors when you start back over you can go back to create fighter and change his shorts and sponsors and start with them in new career getting up to 880 cred starting out it will add up quick! use these times to train or spar instead. and if you didnt know: if you attend the same camp 5 times they will recognize you and sponsor you i believe all of the camps are 80 cred. they also seem to get harder everytime you visit the same one so...

EVILADAMS

EVILADAMS

Awards
  • Established
i would skip all of those, the cred isnt worth the missed training time, once you go through career and unlock sponsors when you start back over you can go back to create fighter and change his shorts and sponsors and start with them in new career getting up to 880 cred starting out it will add up quick! use these times to train or spar instead. and if you didnt know: if you attend the same camp 5 times they will recognize you and sponsor you i believe all of the camps are 80 cred. they also seem to get harder everytime you visit the same one so...

Yeah I figured out that you get a patch after a certain number of visits. I also figured out the shorts thing when I created a fighter on accident. What again does the cred actually do for you lol?

TheAmazing1

TheAmazing1

Awards
Yeah I figured out that you get a patch after a certain number of visits. I also figured out the shorts thing when I created a fighter on accident. What again does the cred actually do for you lol?
once your cred reaches certain levels thats where you begin to unlock things... sponsors of course. but more important things such as your equip and sparring partner i believe. so id imagine if one were to keep losing fights and not gaining cred these things would not upgrade thus less effective training sessions and less points from sparring to distribute

1meand

Awards
I like this game a lot, but I busted a controller out of frustration. I was GSP and I get submitted by Jon Fitch after knocking him around for two rounds and his stamina is only a quarter and mine is three-quarters.
It's great game, but not if you have anger problems.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I love undisputed, have been playing for quite a while now online.

Sucks that a ton of people quit when they lose... Really does. Hope they fix this soon.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
wow i ****ing hate how u cant ever get outta subsmission. i already snapped on the gf and now this fn game ! whew to bed i go working elgs tommrow.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow i ****ing hate how u cant ever get outta subsmission. i already snapped on the gf and now this fn game ! whew to bed i go working elgs tommrow.
Really? Are you doing it right? Because with the exception of a guy having a submission rating 30-40 pts over yours, sub's are normally frustratingly hard to execute, because escapes are so easy.

If you push all four buttons over & over, rather then spinning the right thumb stick, your chances of escape go up like 50%, but this method only breaks the sub, whereas, the thumb stick transitions you into a superior position. That's the trade off.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I find the escapes incredibly easy. Even when I deliberately chose BJJ as a style and worked by sub., offense and ground grapple offense, I submitted only one person. (My last fight, actually.) I found I knocked them out far too soon to sub them, as apparently submissions are best made in later rounds.

These are some things I hope they correct in the game:

a) Gaining specific advantages from different camps - at this point, all you gain is general technique points, so having the names of different camps seems irrelevant. You should gain points in categories that are only attainable through camps, as this would really increase strategy - i.e., if your guard needs to be sick for a fight, training BJJ with BJ would be better than Nog.

b) More variety of fighters, even if they are fabricated. I got sick of fighting the same three people once I had attained the title, especially considering the wide-range of fighters selectable in exhibition mode. As well, maybe the real fighters can progress as well?

c) More customization in create-a-fighter.

If they made these improvements, and keep the gameplay relatively the same, I would crown this over FN series.