what do you guys use for head face protection?

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
do you use face protection? iam thinking about geting one but not sure if the one with clear plastic or cage would be batter. I will use it for my mma sparing.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
getting hit is part of the game man. Sounds like you aren't cut out to be a fighter honestly.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
my trainer told me to get gear with face protection because we will be using knifes and sticks. Our trainer teaches special forces like swat and he wants to teaches a well rounded self defense.

:006:

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
getting hit is part of the game man. Sounds like you aren't cut out to be a fighter honestly.

Idiotic reply. Why bother to wear gloves, wraps, mouthpiece, cup, then. Sounds like you aren't cut out to be a fighter if you're going to use protective gear.

For mma sparring I would not use a face shield as restrict your view and can interfere with breathing. Some of the cheaper ones can catch overhead lights also impeding vision. I like fairtex because their products stand up to abuse. They offer full face headgear that covers your nose and pretty much stops boxing gloves from contacting your face. I opt for headgear that does not cover the nose as it restricts sight and breathing less.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
have to disagree with you every professional fighter I know uses gear when they spar hard. No reason to risk cuts and broken noses etc in a sparring session especially if you have a real fight coming up.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Headgear wont stop broken noses. More for cut reduction, general damage reduction. Should know how to spar enough to not need it, but whatever. Head gear is a great idea, im not sure about a face shield. If you are learning mma, you shouldent need to know about knife/gun defence. The best defense is usually running as fast as you can/not getting in a situation with a gun or knife pointed at you in the first place. MMA is a sport, not a street combat system

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
is it just me or is everyone in North America an MMA fighter?

cauliflour ear sounds real unappealing to me.

wear the head guard, it will save whats left of your pretty face.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how the "real fighters" from the topic do it, but when sparring at my gym I'd wear either heavy padded rugby helmets or those headgears worn by the olympics boxing competitors.

And I always thought those were great. If you were hit by a darn good punch, you'd still go down very well, but you'd also have a good sparring session and a nice half an hour in.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Headgear wont stop broken noses. More for cut reduction, general damage reduction. Should know how to spar enough to not need it, but whatever. Head gear is a great idea, im not sure about a face shield. If you are learning mma, you shouldent need to know about knife/gun defence. The best defense is usually running as fast as you can/not getting in a situation with a gun or knife pointed at you in the first place. MMA is a sport, not a street combat system
well the traditional open face ones may not but the new ones with the guard that goes across the nose can certainlly help I'm thinking of picking one up. BTW is that Avi you? looks like you are a fighter? MMA? just wondering always nice to meet other fighters. I've been doing this for a pretty long time now had my first fight back in 09. that Avi is a pic of me working the guard under the watchful eye of Cesar G.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Idiotic reply. Why bother to wear gloves, wraps, mouthpiece, cup, then. Sounds like you aren't cut out to be a fighter if you're going to use protective gear.

For mma sparring I would not use a face shield as restrict your view and can interfere with breathing. Some of the cheaper ones can catch overhead lights also impeding vision. I like fairtex because their products stand up to abuse. They offer full face headgear that covers your nose and pretty much stops boxing gloves from contacting your face. I opt for headgear that does not cover the nose as it restricts sight and breathing less.

actually I think your reply was idiotic as he was askign about face shields with clear plastic or a cage not gloves, wraps, mouthpieces and cups. I have never scene anyone spar with a face shield.

Of course if he is using knives then that is a different story and I am not familiar with that. I have done this kind of training with fake plastic knives but if you guys are using real knives then I don't know what to tell ya.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
have to disagree with you every professional fighter I know uses gear when they spar hard. No reason to risk cuts and broken noses etc in a sparring session especially if you have a real fight coming up.
I agree with you. However he is askign about face shields and if you are talking about face shields then I do disagree with you.

I do condone the use of headgear.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established

cauliflour ear is from grappling.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
why would anyone want to look like kristophers AVI?for some reason dudes today think it makes them cool or tough to get the sht beat out of them.... and to have a chewed up set of ears and a caven in nose.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
why would anyone want to look like kristophers AVI?for some reason dudes today think it makes them cool or tough to get the sht beat out of them.... and to have a chewed up set of ears and a caven in nose.
well his avi looks like it's in a ring probably after a fight and I'm sure he is very proud of competing. Fighters train hard to push themselves. It's like any other sport. Chewed ears usually come from years of wrestling even when wearing headgear you get it. It's not intentional it's a byproduct of the sport and I don't think most people do it to try and look cool.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh buddy I certainly get it! I used to train with Garry Goodrich In Southern Ontario where him and I are from, he owns his own mma club there, but I used to go to the same boxing club with him and learn as much as I could from the guy, for me personally I just think there are better ways to compete and push yourself. Just personal opinion, i could care a less about others, and if you respond to this cut out your fckn attitude.

YOU GET IT! PFFF

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
oh buddy I certainly get it! I used to train with Garry Goodrich In Southern Ontario where him and I are from, he owns his own mma club there, but I used to go to the same boxing club with him and learn as much as I could from the guy, for me personally I just think there are better ways to compete and push yourself. Just personal opinion, i could care a less about others, and if you respond to this cut out your fckn attitude.

YOU GET IT! PFFF
pfffff

Big Daddy sucks lol.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

YOU GET IT! PFFF
What attitude? i don't think i said anything with an attitude or offensive? If you think there are better ways to compete than that's fine for you. Some people like football, basketball, golf whatever. I am not saying fighting is the only way but it's what some people choose so no reason to get down on them about their choice

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and yes garry is kind of a crappy fighter, and he nailed my aunt and dropped her, lol.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
and yes garry is kind of a crappy fighter, and he nailed my aunt and dropped her, lol.
you mean he punched her and dropped her or do you mean screwed her and never called her back? Whatever the case is I would love to hear the story behind it

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well manI was born and lived 25 years in his hometown, my aunt used to teach a fitness class at his gym and...yadaa yadaa he fcked her, (while he was married ) and didnt real deal too much with her after the fact. basaically she was just a fck but regardless hes a legend around our town and seen in puplic all the time, not that big of a deal but hes still around, selling roids (lol ) I know a dude who bought Tren ACE, Winstrol and something called Finajet from Garry, then that dude (who I used to buy weed off)tried to sell the tren to me, but I wasnt ready for that to be my first cycle so I declined it.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
damn, he basically sounds like the kind of guy that people absolutely hate, a roided out dickhead. I always hated that guy though. After every time he lost he always made some lame ass excuse for losing. I remember when Don Frye beat his ass and he tapped due to strikes, in the post fight interview he said "he who runs away, lives to fight another day". How gay is that? Also I can't remember his style's name but I remember his motto was "power over technique". Yep, that screams roids right there.

So basically the only reason nobody fcks with him in your town is because he is roided out huh?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I will be getting into MMA after I get my finances straitened around. For now all I can enjoy is full contact flag football and softball. At least they both let me gauge my physical strength and endurance, but not like a fight. I think every American being an MMA fighter is a good thing.

A: you have to get into shape to do good.
B: this means a healthier America.
C: a few cuts on your forehead and winning a few matches gets the ladies attention :D

Plus every man should have an animalistic nature inside of him BURNING to get out, to fight, to destroy an enemy. Generally, this is reserved for if anyone threatens our families. But often times when that time comes the man is so out of shape or untrained, he is useless.

Let me ask all of you what would you do if someone broke into your house, and you two kids and wife, the loves of your life, were in danger? The doctors at the hospital would be wondering how in the hell the man had both his arms and both his feet shoved up his arse if it were me....

I believe MMA is something most men should do. I mean, 500 years ago if you couldnt fight, you didnt get shiz. Today....fat arse panzies can sit in an office building answering calls about other fat arse people complaining about stuff that is probably responsible for them being fat anyways not working...and make 40K a year....

Ok....I got carried away. I think the plastic face guard is a bit much. I agree with head gear. But man, I learned back in Taekwondo, the less protection you have, the les you feel safe. The less you feel save, the more likely you are to be ready and dodge/block a blow. You get yourself into using the guards (we had chest, feey covers, gloves, headgear) and when a real fight comes, you may be willing to take more hits than you should.

Hardcore=sparring with bandage wrapped knuckles and feet, no pads :D

But there is a reason only the upper belts did that...

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree zero, I would drool fire and blood if someone even breathed near a loved on eof mine, and jail wouldnt be an option cause Id go out in a fckn blaze either way, either against the police or against the culprits responsible.

I almost soemtimes feel like I dare someone too, it makes you feel alive when you imagine going to war for something that matters.

and to the other post about garry, its not so much that noone fckn with him, He just gets respect simply because of his size and name, but a man who cheats, especially with 2 baby girls at home is a fckn bottom feeding scum bag in my opinion, and to lose a fight and make an excuse is pathetic, shake the mans hand and admit you got rocked.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
actually I think your reply was idiotic as he was askign about face shields with clear plastic or a cage not gloves, wraps, mouthpieces and cups. I have never scene anyone spar with a face shield.

Of course if he is using knives then that is a different story and I am not familiar with that. I have done this kind of training with fake plastic knives but if you guys are using real knives then I don't know what to tell ya.
And your reply "getting hit is part of the game man. Sounds like you aren't cut out to be a fighter honestly." obviously alluded to this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to hate headgear, but years of sparring takes a toll on the brain and the last thing I want is to sound like Evander Holyfield. Anything by Twins, Revgear, or Rival is solid. Pricey, but worth it.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And your reply "getting hit is part of the game man. Sounds like you aren't cut out to be a fighter honestly." obviously alluded to this.
alluded to what? what is the issue here? What point are you arguing?

badnoma

Awards
I just bought Everlast's "Facesaver" headgear a few months ago. It has the padded bar that protects your nose. It is excellent for boxing, but i think it limits my visibility to much for muay thai. I tend to eat more kicks with it on because of the padded bar blocking my vision from seeing my partners kick coming. Lol

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established

I get it even in wrestling gear sometimes, I have had the surgery a few times. Sucks, but it is part of the game. Unfortunately I can't ever keep it because I am going into a professional Job line.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I used to hate headgear, but years of sparring takes a toll on the brain and the last thing I want is to sound like Evander Holyfield. Anything by Twins, Revgear, or Rival is solid. Pricey, but worth it.
Rival is my choice