That was a intensley boring fight.:684:

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cant figure Anderson out, two sub par performances in a row, maybe he is bored with the competition at 185

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I cant figure Anderson out, two sub par performances in a row, maybe he is bored with the competition at 185
It seemed as though he was trying to engage, but lateis was running away and aimlessly falling on the ground. I just wanted anderson to pound on him.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
They were both on their bicycles at one point or other. I think (this is just my opinion) that Silva feels that he's defending the belt and if you want it, you have to bring the fight to him. I thought he looked great and superior to Leites and defended by keeping the fight on the feet (mostly) to unravel Leites' game plan. It might've been boring but he took little, if any, damage and retained the title. Here is the fight!

mankussm

mankussm

Awards
They were both on their bicycles at one point or other. I think (this is just my opinion) that Silva feels that he's defending the belt and if you want it, you have to bring the fight to him. I thought he looked great and superior to Leites and defended by keeping the fight on the feet (mostly) to unravel Leites' game plan. It might've been boring but he took little, if any, damage and retained the title. Here is the fight!
I couldn't agree with you more. Silva is the Title holder, if Leites was so prepared to take it, he should have been the aggressor. I bet he is looking back at the tape today wondering why he trained for 12 weeks for this fight when he only threw 12 punches in 25 mins.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Silva really had no reason to pursue... He has the tittle, he was landing well, why does anyone even expect him to have to press forward to get a knockout is something I don't understand...

Why would he leave himself open to losing or getting caught when gameplan and strikes have been working perfectly?

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
like i said, i believe anderson was trying to engage, latieas (spelling) needed to be the agressor for sure. Anderson looked very frustrated with the whole thing.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the, "he is the title holder, and therefore can aimlessly L n' P argument" is not valid at all. Look at the pressing, aggressive style of other current champions; retaining a belt does not entitle you to become an entirely different [and less dynamic, more boring] fighter. Fedor or GSP, for example [using these due to all the P4P # 1 talk] did not begin aimlessly meandering around the ring/cage during a belt defense because the competitor did not fight an entirely aggressive style.

I fear I have officially become unimpressed with A. Silva, and this is building off his Cote performance.

L

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I think the, "he is the title holder, and therefore can aimlessly L n' P argument" is not valid at all. Look at the pressing, aggressive style of other current champions; retaining a belt does not entitle you to become an entirely different [and less dynamic, more boring] fighter. Fedor or GSP, for example [using these due to all the P4P # 1 talk] did not begin aimlessly meandering around the ring/cage during a belt defense because the competitor did not fight an entirely aggressive style.

I fear I have officially become unimpressed with A. Silva, and this is building off his Cote performance.
x2.............Fedor or GSP would have gone flying onto Leites while he was on the ground & not walked away like sucks. Just because one holds the title doesn't mean he is a true champion.

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
x2.............Fedor or GSP would have gone flying onto Leites while he was on the ground & not walked away like sucks. Just because one holds the title doesn't mean he is a true champion.
Although i agree, i think insinuating that he isnt a true champion might be a bit of a stretch, dont you think? I can see why one might find themselves unimpressed with anderson right now, after all your only as good as your last fight, but he is still the champ. Leites was obviously confused as to what to do, and looked a bit scared, and cowed. Anderson was trying to engage him for the majorit of the fight, and if leites didnt fall to the ground every 4 seconds the outcome surely would have been different.

S

SamuraiSid

Awards
I think a lot of you guys *but not all of you) should take a few BJJ lessons.
I completely understand that the fight may not have been flashy and much to look at, but you have to remember that the UFC and MMA in general is a SPORT. Silva did exactly what he had to do to win. Leites is a BJJ world champion (It seems like everyone in the ufc is...) and Anderson "The Spider" Silva, A Muay Thai expert.

When was the last time you heard an NFL fan complain when the QB takes a knee, when his team is winning, and there is 30 seconds left in the game?

Silva Vs. Leites was a very techincal, although like I said earlier, I agree to the general population it wasnt much to look at. Leites didnt want to get into a brawl, because he knew that Silva would have destroyed him. Silva didnt want to go to the ground because he is a stand up fighter.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I've only seen Silva's last 2 fights, and I'm completely disappointed with him and utterly confused when Rogan says he's the best fighter "pound for pound". Perhaps he was better in the past - but the past is the past. He's just boring and showboaty now. Lyoto Machida and Hoyce Gracie are/were extremely defensive fighters too, but still had enough offense to entertain the crowd.

I am also not impressed by the whole "lands 80% of his strikes" or whatever the stat was. When a guy hasn't thrown a punch in the first 3 minutes and I'm not even sure he threw 5 in that whole first 5 minutes, it shouldn't be that hard to have better accuracy.

I'm not saying the other guy wasn't any better, but the only thing in common with Silva's last 2 amazingly boring fights is Silva. He's like the Minnesota Wild of MMA. Just a very bad and boring "main event". I'd be very mad if I had paid money to see that.

All I can say is that whoever Sliva fights next - it should not be considered the main event.

Note: I also hate that saying "pound for pound". What the heck does that mean? If Silva gained weight up to Fedor's level, Fedor would still destroy him. It's not like Silva is going to increase his speed as he gets heavier.

Ah, gotta love armchair coaches/critics as I sit safely outside of the cage in my comfy house, lol!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think a lot of you guys *but not all of you) should take a few BJJ lessons.
I completely understand that the fight may not have been flashy and much to look at, but you have to remember that the UFC and MMA in general is a SPORT. Silva did exactly what he had to do to win. Leites is a BJJ world champion (It seems like everyone in the ufc is...) and Anderson "The Spider" Silva, A Muay Thai expert.

When was the last time you heard an NFL fan complain when the QB takes a knee, when his team is winning, and there is 30 seconds left in the game?

Silva Vs. Leites was a very techincal, although like I said earlier, I agree to the general population it wasnt much to look at. Leites didnt want to get into a brawl, because he knew that Silva would have destroyed him. Silva didnt want to go to the ground because he is a stand up fighter.
Interesting you felt that Silva was technically impressive with his BJJ in that fight - how so? In saying aggressive, I meant both the ground and the feet, with Anderson not fulfilling the requirements of 'aggressor' in either situation. With all due respect, please do not assume I am some knockout-yearning yokel who knows nothing about the sport because I feel Anderson has been highly disappointing of late.

I feel we should avoid confusing technical with disengaging and passive; both qualities we could justifiably impart to Anderson last night. My impression is this: Anderson now assumes that each fight must be brought to him, and his former engaging, aggressive style is too worthy of his opponents.

Anderson is a Muay Thai expert, but his BJJ is also phenomenal. While not at the level of Thales, it is certainly apt enough to defend subs in guard, and inflict damage on Thales with elbow strikes and so forth. The few times the fight ventured to the ground, Anderson attempted little in the way of damaging strikes: he seemed too preoccupied with appearing "frustrated" to be engaged with the task at hand. Fedor has accomplished appreciably more than Anderson, but he has yet to dance around the ring like a moron, trying to clown and demean his opponents. The fight was boring due to a lackluster performance from both fighters, and; considering he is becoming increasingly more represented as the P4P # 1, Anderson should adhere to higher standards.

I stand by my statement that the fight was highly disappointing, as has Anderson's performance in his past two fights. As I say, you do not earn the right to hop around the Octagon like a Chippendale's dancer because you have cleaned out the most notoriously weak division in MMA; particularly when half of the best MWs are not even in your organization.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
they both had poor performances. silva should of gone harder at him and instead he tried to act like it was not his fault. Leites should have also gone harder and not have shitty takedown attempts. he does look really bored in 185 and he wasnt really challenged at all. he should of jsut finished it like cote instead of drag them out. he had plenty of chances to end. dana white said hes embarrsed over the main event. he would start punching him on the ground and then stop get up and walk away when he was in no danger of a submission. we will see silva soon at 205 and it will most likely be good so whatever its MMA sh!t like this happends

L

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Interesting you felt that Silva was technically impressive with his BJJ in that fight - how so? In saying aggressive, I meant both the ground and the feet, with Anderson not fulfilling the requirements of 'aggressor' in either situation. With all due respect, please do not assume I am some knockout-yearning yokel who knows nothing about the sport because I feel Anderson has been highly disappointing of late.

I feel we should avoid confusing technical with disengaging and passive; both qualities we could justifiably impart to Anderson last night. My impression is this: Anderson now assumes that each fight must be brought to him, and his former engaging, aggressive style is too worthy of his opponents.

Anderson is a Muay Thai expert, but his BJJ is also phenomenal. While not at the level of Thales, it is certainly apt enough to defend subs in guard, and inflict damage on Thales with elbow strikes and so forth. The few times the fight ventured to the ground, Anderson attempted little in the way of damaging strikes: he seemed too preoccupied with appearing "frustrated" to be engaged with the task at hand. Fedor has accomplished appreciably more than Anderson, but he has yet to dance around the ring like a moron, trying to clown and demean his opponents. The fight was boring due to a lackluster performance from both fighters, and; considering he is becoming increasingly more represented as the P4P # 1, Anderson should adhere to higher standards.

I stand by my statement that the fight was highly disappointing, as has Anderson's performance in his past two fights. As I say, you do not earn the right to hop around the Octagon like a Chippendale's dancer because you have cleaned out the most notoriously weak division in MMA; particularly when half of the best MWs are not even in your organization.
Again X2.......very well said.

Silva makes a poor champion, period! The fact that many are talking about it is proof!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I don't know but that was a technical strategic fight. He knows Thales has a great ground game. and Anderson is the champ. This is his job how he feeds his 4 kids etc. you don't get more money and more sponsors by losing exciting fights. i remember this arguement with Jake's performance in the RWE tournament and I was like if he had been exciting and lost the 1st round he would of been out 30k but he did his fight and one tournmanet now if he had lost a month later when his kid needed new shoes and his rent and car payment was due do you think he would of been saying man I'm glad i put on a more exciting fight or Man I wish I would of stuck to my gameplan? UFC is boxing yet where you can lose and end up making more money. Often times the difference between the W and L is substantial pay. When he start taking punishment from people while showboating etc then i'll become unimpressed but until then he is the champ regardless if he is knocking people out or winning decisions

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If he was truly the best fighter in the world, people wouldnt fall on their backs hoping to get in a grappling match. The best pound for pound fighter should be good everywhere hence his ooponent wont avoid any single aspect of the fight.

As far as Spider's opponents. They need to start setting some fights up a little better and making his ooponents at least believe they have a chance. Right now White literally talks like he is feeding sheep to a lion when he talks about the 185 division.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also back in the old days no one had the belt until the end of the tournament. That made for some good fights. The belt should be up for grabs every night. that should make the fighters more aggressive.

Disclaimer: I know this is a hair away from impossible but it would be sweet.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Leites didnt even look good trying to keep him on the ground. it was just a stupid fight and he needs more exciting opponents. nate mar round 2 would have even been better.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Again X2.......very well said.

Silva makes a poor champion, period! The fact that many are talking about it is proof!
This is an idiotic statement. Just because you don't like his style in the last two fights doesn't mean he is a poor champion. He is one of the 3 best fighters in the world - given how he has just dismantled every opponent he has faced, whether that be through knockout within 15 seconds or 5 rounds of nullifying any strategy they had coming into the fight rendering them helpless - he has done it.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
anderson needs his oponents to come to him,like when he first came to ufc all his oponents came to him and threw punchs and he conterstriked his way to ko'es but now it seems everyone has to much respect for him and wont engage in a stand up fight DANA SHOULD PUT GSP IN FRONT OF HIM THEN WE WILL SEE A F@!$!KIN FIGHT!!!

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you guys seen the real transcript from his post fight interview?

Apparently he said "boo all you want, you guys still pay my ****ing wages".

A lot of other shitty comments were made by him aswell, but the translator (his manager) tones it down.

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
If he was truly the best fighter in the world, people wouldnt fall on their backs hoping to get in a grappling match. The best pound for pound fighter should be good everywhere hence his ooponent wont avoid any single aspect of the fight.

As far as Spider's opponents. They need to start setting some fights up a little better and making his ooponents at least believe they have a chance. Right now White literally talks like he is feeding sheep to a lion when he talks about the 185 division.
This i totally agree with. Thats exactly what dana sounds like. But, i do think the only reason anderson avoided the ground game is because he wanted a knockout, after his lackluster previous fight.

tirtle88

tirtle88

Awards

A lot of other shitty comments were made by him aswell, but the translator (his manager) tones it down.
what that little chump:sleeping:

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Just an FYI joe silva is the one who sets up the fights not dana.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just an FYI joe silva is the one who sets up the fights not dana.
yeah i know that. but i am talking about how Dana speaks publicly about these fights. I mean at least hype the guy up a little more. Dana always says stuff like "i feel sorry for the next guy he gets in the ring with" or "he can end this fight when he chooses to". I mean why not say "this could be the guy that beats Silva"? screw it might as well, maybe the fighter will take himself a little more seriously instead of feeling like he is on a sacraficial alter. He might feel more compelled to perform.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Yes. Snooze indeed. I hope he didn't get any sort of bonus check what so ever. At least Dana was as irritated as the rest of us in that interview that was posted.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i know that. but i am talking about how Dana speaks publicly about these fights. I mean at least hype the guy up a little more. Dana always says stuff like "i feel sorry for the next guy he gets in the ring with" or "he can end this fight when he chooses to". I mean why not say "this could be the guy that beats Silva"? screw it might as well, maybe the fighter will take himself a little more seriously instead of feeling like he is on a sacraficial alter. He might feel more compelled to perform.
I think that is part of it, most definitely. That being said, Cote was the supreme underdog, and he engaged Silva more than vice-versa. This is just as much, if not moreso, Silva's issue.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think that is part of it, most definitely. That being said, Cote was the supreme underdog, and he engaged Silva more than vice-versa. This is just as much, if not moreso, Silva's issue.
yes this is true about Cote. This silva is entirely different from the Silva that took the belt from Rich. I guess the only thing the UFC can do is hopefully have him fight someone with serious balls. I really do not want that to be GSP as I dont feel like watching GSP rack up a loss simply because he is drastically outweighed in a pointless fight.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Well he is good everywhere but he cant be the BEST in all aspects he is only human. there will be better wrestlers, better jj people etc. and those peopel will naturally want to fight to where they perceive they have an advantage. I do wish Silva would be more aggresive. but bottom line he is the champ and a challenger has to take it from him he wasn't running away he was connecting with strikes. it just was as aggresive as he might of been but he was also not in trouble

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes this is true about Cote. This silva is entirely different from the Silva that took the belt from Rich. I guess the only thing the UFC can do is hopefully have him fight someone with serious balls. I really do not want that to be GSP as I dont feel like watching GSP rack up a loss simply because he is drastically outweighed in a pointless fight.
Yeah, I agree. Unless that fight was at a catchweight, I think GSP could viably lose. Which is sad, because I do honestly [and pardon my Canadianism here] that GSP is a superior fighter to Anderson.

GSP is a perfect example why the arguments in this thread defending Silva are ridiculous: BJ's BJJ is world-class, but GSP consistently and willingly took BJ to the ground and dominated. A champion should be willing and prepared to engage everywhere.

As I said, the few times the fight did venture to the ground with Silva in guard, he feigned a few weak strikes, and then stood-up with a, "WTF?" look on his face. Which is odd, because I had the same look when I watched that pathetic bout.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Although i agree, i think insinuating that he isnt a true champion might be a bit of a stretch, dont you think? I can see why one might find themselves unimpressed with anderson right now, after all your only as good as your last fight, but he is still the champ. Leites was obviously confused as to what to do, and looked a bit scared, and cowed. Anderson was trying to engage him for the majorit of the fight, and if leites didnt fall to the ground every 4 seconds the outcome surely would have been different.
I agree. I don't know what TL could have done differently except maybe more strike attempts and moving away as much as possible. Anderson could maybe have followed him to the ground though in the 3rd round after coming to the conclusion that TL was not gonna quit the crap, instead of minging and throwing his hands up. If he's that irritated then get your ass on him and GNP. I was waiting for that left knee to shoot out into the audience. That would have been a better ending.

Manchester

Manchester

Awards
Yeah, I agree. Unless that fight was at a catchweight, I think GSP could viably lose. Which is sad, because I do honestly [and pardon my Canadianism here] that GSP is a superior fighter to Anderson.

GSP is a perfect example why the arguments in this thread defending Silva are ridiculous: BJ's BJJ is world-class, but GSP consistently and willingly took BJ to the ground and dominated. A champion should be willing and prepared to engage everywhere.

As I said, the few times the fight did venture to the ground with Silva in guard, he feigned a few weak strikes, and then stood-up with a, "WTF?" look on his face. Which is odd, because I had the same look when I watched that pathetic bout.
The Anderson Silva-Thales Leites went exactly as most expected. I expected Leites to try and pull guard endlessly and I expected Anderson to be just as aggressive as necessary to win each round (without jeopardizing himself). I think the UFC needs to do a better job of considering styles before they match up fighters like these two. In the end, main events are supposed to be entertaining. If they want to match up two fighters that deserve to fight but have styles that may lead to a less than entertaining fight, then they should put a fight like that on the undercard of a more entertaining fight. Many of my friends and I travel to UFC events to see the fights live, but we had a feeling that this would be a snoozer and passed on a trip to Montreal.

I was at the GSP-BJ Penn fight in January and the atmosphere was just electric. Even during all of the undercard fights, people were shouting GSP and USA (for Penn). At GSP's post-fight party at Rok (NYNY), I asked Firas if Anderson was next for GSP and he confirmed "no" at this time. The consensus is that there are other good 170 lb fighters out there that will make for an entertaining fight with GSP. Even at at a catch weight, I don't think GSP would take the fight. If Anderson can cut to 170 lb, then that is a different story entirely. In my opinion, GSP is the best all around pound-for-pound, entertaining fighter in the UFC. However, if he had to fight Anderson at anything above 170 he would be at a severe size disadvantage and I think it would be difficult for him to defeat Anderson (especially if Anderson spent the entire fight on the defensive and countering only).

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established

If you knew portuguese you'd know how far from the truth that statement is. Someone obviously translated his interview in a way to try to make him look bad.

He said no such things, he was trying to sympathize with the fans, not tell them to fcuk off.

J

Jack of Shadows

Awards
I see no reason that a champion needs to fight the fight the challenger or even the fans want him to. Each MMA match starts on your feet - each round starts on your feet. If one is a BJJ champion and wants to take it to the ground, then he needs to have a plan and the skills to take it there, not just fall down and lay there, hoping your opponent will be stupid enough to fall into your guard.

Silva fought the fight he needed to fight to win - Leites lost. Were I Silva, I would not take the chance of jumping into Leites' guard just because he and the fans wanted me to.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Anderson Silva-Thales Leites went exactly as most expected. I expected Leites to try and pull guard endlessly and I expected Anderson to be just as aggressive as necessary to win each round (without jeopardizing himself). I think the UFC needs to do a better job of considering styles before they match up fighters like these two. In the end, main events are supposed to be entertaining. If they want to match up two fighters that deserve to fight but have styles that may lead to a less than entertaining fight, then they should put a fight like that on the undercard of a more entertaining fight. Many of my friends and I travel to UFC events to see the fights live, but we had a feeling that this would be a snoozer and passed on a trip to Montreal.
I agree it had the possibility to be a snoozer, but: as many have said here, Anderson's style has changed appreciably. Say what you will, but I do not, and never will, appreciate the ridiculous dancing and antics Anderson has produced as of late!

I was at the GSP-BJ Penn fight in January and the atmosphere was just electric. Even during all of the undercard fights, people were shouting GSP and USA (for Penn). At GSP's post-fight party at Rok (NYNY), I asked Firas if Anderson was next for GSP and he confirmed "no" at this time. The consensus is that there are other good 170 lb fighters out there that will make for an entertaining fight with GSP. Even at at a catch weight, I don't think GSP would take the fight. If Anderson can cut to 170 lb, then that is a different story entirely. In my opinion, GSP is the best all around pound-for-pound, entertaining fighter in the UFC. However, if he had to fight Anderson at anything above 170 he would be at a severe size disadvantage and I think it would be difficult for him to defeat Anderson (especially if Anderson spent the entire fight on the defensive and countering only).
I agree completely. GSP is, in my opinion, higher in the P4P rankings, but he would be at an appreciable size disadvantage. This being said, GSP's body-type and training is such that a 20lb muscle gain is not out of the question. (He has said himself this would be the only circumstance under which he would fight Anderson). If GSP bulked to ~200 and cut to 185, the size differential would not be so substantial as to predict a loss, IMO.

Manchester

Manchester

Awards
I agree it had the possibility to be a snoozer, but: as many have said here, Anderson's style has changed appreciably. Say what you will, but I do not, and never will, appreciate the ridiculous dancing and antics Anderson has produced as of late!
I absolutely agree. He is no longer fighting to destroy his opponents in an entertaining fashion, instead he is looking to just win his fights. If he doesn't have another exciting fight soon, he is going to render himself less marketable.

I agree completely. GSP is, in my opinion, higher in the P4P rankings, but he would be at an appreciable size disadvantage. This being said, GSP's body-type and training is such that a 20lb muscle gain is not out of the question. (He has said himself this would be the only circumstance under which he would fight Anderson). If GSP bulked to ~200 and cut to 185, the size differential would not be so substantial as to predict a loss, IMO.
The stats say that GSP is 5'10", but in person he looks much closer to 5'9". Anderson is 6'2"+ so the height and reach advantage would be difficult to overcome. I do agree that GSP could easily bulk up to 200+ and then cut to 185 (especially if USPLabs provided him with some free supplements--I can't think of a better potential spokesperson for PRIME). At only 27 years of age though, I don't know if he is ready to move up weight classes until he has demolished all of the top 170 pounders. At a bulked up 185, I think Anderson would still be the heavy favorite; however, if he continues to fight conservatively (as he has recently), I think that could play into GSPs hands. Hopefully someday we will find out!

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you knew portuguese you'd know how far from the truth that statement is. Someone obviously translated his interview in a way to try to make him look bad.

He said no such things, he was trying to sympathize with the fans, not tell them to fcuk off.
There were many on sherdog saying the same things, some high posters aswell not trolling.

So he said nothing about his wages?

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I think its TL's fault a little more because if hes so good he should have took him down with a good game plan hes freakin 185 so he must of been 195 or 200 the day of the fight. take anderson down and sudmit him instead you saw horrible skills. TL in my eyes is FARRRRR more boring. keep silva down damnit dont let him get up. silva might of been boring but TL is not a good opponent and had a lame game plan to fall back in his guard. silva should of been fighting bisping or nate mar even tho he lost to TL(stupid). he should of already moved to a temp 205 after the cote fight IMO.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Andy is starting to look like he is afraid to lose the title in a Serra-like fashion. This is the exact reason everyone turned on Sylvia; he stopped trying to finish the fight.

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I see no reason that a champion needs to fight the fight the challenger or even the fans want him to. Each MMA match starts on your feet - each round starts on your feet. If one is a BJJ champion and wants to take it to the ground, then he needs to have a plan and the skills to take it there, not just fall down and lay there, hoping your opponent will be stupid enough to fall into your guard.

Silva fought the fight he needed to fight to win - Leites lost. Were I Silva, I would not take the chance of jumping into Leites' guard just because he and the fans wanted me to.
I have to agree. Leites dint try to take him down-he FELL down. I do not agree with andersons antics, but he was trying to engage. Leites is guilty of falling down, anderson is guilty of not following him, you can split hairs all day. I f anderson doesnt take it to the ground, it most certainly IS leites's job to force him there. Every time anderson moved in to throw strikes, leitas fell to the ground! So what, anderson is somehow obligated, because he holds the belt, to follow? i dont think so, imho.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i guess he had records on the line but he does get a lot of pressure. haha i dig the serra like fasion. ohhhh poor tim he got rocked by fedor hahahaha and i loved it!

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I really don't see how he can be called the pound for pound best fighter after his last two showings. If he is so skilled, he should be able to finish these challengers one way or another. Especially given Leites seemed mentally intimidated. I would like to see Okami get a shot at Silva.

Manchester

Manchester

Awards
I just saw the ESPN 1100 interview with Dana White on YouTube. He said it was the most embarassing fight he's seen in the ten years he's been with the ufc. He put the blame on both fighters which was a little suprising given how he defended Anderson after the Cote fight.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
There were many on sherdog saying the same things, some high posters aswell not trolling.

So he said nothing about his wages?
"No, it doesn't really disturb me much about the booying, I felt like I followed my gameplan very well, unfortunally not always we can have an entertaining fight for the crowd, a lot don't understand what's going on in the ring and just want to see slugfests. But we need to try to move on because they are the ones that pay our salaries and there are a lot of good fighters out there, and everyone should be respected as we're here to put on a show for the crowd.

Thales is a great fighter, comes from a great Jiu Jitsu school, where I had the opportunity to train as well, and he should also be respected. And afterall, I just did my job, I'm not here to pretend that I'm better than anyone nor worse than anyone, we're here to do our job and unfortunally it's not always that we're able to meet the publics expectations"

This would kinda be the translation almost word by word of what he said. So pretty much he aknowledged that the fight wasn't what many wanted it to be, but that they were there doing their job to the best of it, and he feels like fighters should be respected and not booed if the fight doesn't turn out to be a slugfest.

Now, as far as the fight goes, I give Anderson props for not just bashing away at Leites, what he maybe should've done. Anderson tried to do his best to keep the fight standing, he'd pursue but couldn't just go all out. And its just stupid following a world class jiu jitsu like that if that's not your strength (unlike GSP who is known for his wrestling and ground and pound).

I say Leites was the one to blame. I find it ridiculous that when he couldn't take Silva down he'd repeatedly try to pull guard, without even putting up an effort.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
it took gsp 4 rounds to beat a shitty penn. TL couldnt even take him down right he laid on his back and fell over. if you wanan fight on the ground take his ass down and keep him there. MMA not a bjj fight. anderson was boring and same with cote but he wanted to go the distance and have a war. hopefully next time he will jsut get a 1 minute tko

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
why would anderson jsut fall in TL's dangerous guard? it was just a stupid set up. he needs to work his wrestling or jsut trade with him

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"No, it doesn't really disturb me much about the booying, I felt like I followed my gameplan very well, unfortunally not always we can have an entertaining fight for the crowd, a lot don't understand what's going on in the ring and just want to see slugfests. But we need to try to move on because they are the ones that pay our salaries and there are a lot of good fighters out there, and everyone should be respected as we're here to put on a show for the crowd.

Thales is a great fighter, comes from a great Jiu Jitsu school, where I had the opportunity to train as well, and he should also be respected. And afterall, I just did my job, I'm not here to pretend that I'm better than anyone nor worse than anyone, we're here to do our job and unfortunally it's not always that we're able to meet the publics expectations"

This would kinda be the translation almost word by word of what he said. So pretty much he aknowledged that the fight wasn't what many wanted it to be, but that they were there doing their job to the best of it, and he feels like fighters should be respected and not booed if the fight doesn't turn out to be a slugfest.

Now, as far as the fight goes, I give Anderson props for not just bashing away at Leites, what he maybe should've done. Anderson tried to do his best to keep the fight standing, he'd pursue but couldn't just go all out. And its just stupid following a world class jiu jitsu like that if that's not your strength (unlike GSP who is known for his wrestling and ground and pound).

I say Leites was the one to blame. I find it ridiculous that when he couldn't take Silva down he'd repeatedly try to pull guard, without even putting up an effort.
ty brah, repped.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Silva has phenomenal BJJ as well; certainly good enough to pursue Thales on the ground.