Wanderlei Silva pushing for addition of super middleweight class at UFC 99

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

The 195-pound catchweight bout will feature two of the UFC's most exciting fighters.
The Brazilian slugger hopes the bout will be the introduction of a new division to the UFC.

"I talked with (UFC President) Dana (White) three or four events ago, and I said, 'We need to create a new division at 195 (pounds),'" Silva said. "Because for me, my normal weight is 210 or 208 (pounds). For 205, it's not too much (weight to cut). For 185, it's a lot. For 195, it's perfect."

"I think in the future we'll have this division," Silva said. "I think it's a very good division. Guys like Forrest (Griffin) are 230-240 (pounds). For him 205 pounds is good because he's so much stronger."

I must say its an interesting idea, but I'm still not sure why they are fighting at the catch weight in the first place. I must have missed an article somewhere. Does anyone know if this was for the purposes of testing out this weight class or did Franklin and/or Silva demand it for this fight in particular?

***take this anywhere you feel...:laugh:

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I second the Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight.

A 225, heck, even a 235 will do it, and then a super heavy, which would make competitors a lot more competitive, as someone with 225 wouldn't have to face a 285 that cuts down...

But a 195 would be a nice addition as well, from 185 to 205 is a jump, and you can see that from how weak the 185 division is and how packed 205 is, with a lot of people who could be factors but are just not strong enough to handle that division.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
i think they need to do like the WEC and add a 145 and a 135 division and leave the rest as is. little dudes know how to scrap ;)

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
yup they dont need all this 225 and 195 crap they need the 135 and 145ers if not both than 145 at least. pretty soon its gonna be like boxing and have like 8 diffrent weight classes, maybe they can make a 167lb division then i would be perfect!!!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I feel that they already "have" the 145 and 135 divisions, it's just subsidized (spelling?) at the WEC.

And the reason why they don't put one of those divisions in the UFC is that they don't see enough return from the WEC and hence see no point in creating it in the UFC.

And not having a 225 is outrageous IMO. a 60lb differential is HUGE. They award way too much for brute strenght rather than for technique by allowing that.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I second the Heavyweight and Super Heavyweight.

A 225, heck, even a 235 will do it, and then a super heavy, which would make competitors a lot more competitive, as someone with 225 wouldn't have to face a 285 that cuts down...

But a 195 would be a nice addition as well, from 185 to 205 is a jump, and you can see that from how weak the 185 division is and how packed 205 is, with a lot of people who could be factors but are just not strong enough to handle that division.
I think adding a 195 will only weaking an already weak 185 division and a stacked 205. If these 205ers were smart, they would drop weight to 185. It's only 20 pounds difference really.

More divisions = weaker divisions. I think only adding what is neccessary is what will keep the sport raw and enjoyable.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
So why are they doing a catch weight in the first place? WSilva is 205 and if I'm not mistaken Franklin is staying there too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The weight classes were amended about a year ago, but the UFC has not adopted them. The fight is a catch-weight so Wand can slowly transition to MW.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
The weight classes were amended about a year ago, but the UFC has not adopted them. The fight is a catch-weight so Wand can slowly transition to MW.
has he ever fought as a MW before?

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Well I hope he has more success. He held up alright at 205 but if this brings about greater fortune he'll be a major contender for 185. He could really do some damage.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
also if they lose it wont hurt their career as much being at 195. franklin has been going up and down now. i dont want a 145 or 135 in UFC thats WEC guys. too many decisions. and i also wouldnt want anymore weight classes because there already arnt much heavy weights out there. so many dropped to 205....jardine rashad,vera and others. if uFC got fedor barrnet and **** then i would say do it.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
I feel that they already "have" the 145 and 135 divisions, it's just subsidized (spelling?) at the WEC.

And the reason why they don't put one of those divisions in the UFC is that they don't see enough return from the WEC and hence see no point in creating it in the UFC.

I know they have them at the WEC hence why i said the UFC needs to do like them and create those divisions. Do you have any facts that back up your claim about the WEC not seeing as much return for the lighter divisions. I dont know about guys on here but alot of people I know in the mma world like watching the smaller dudes over the bigger guys. You paid to see a fight not a first round knockout (unless it was a good one).

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
UFC owns WEC they are part of zuffa incase you didnt know. its their "little sister"

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
And UFC grabs guys out of WEC whenever they feel like it haha.
I too enjoy some frisky 135,145 and 155ers in the WEC. Those fights are great and best of all FREE. If UFC took the small guys then we'd be shelling out more money.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
UFC owns WEC they are part of zuffa incase you didnt know. its their "little sister"
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

And as far as everyone dropping from HW to LHW, well, obviously! Why would Vera want to fight as he stood (around 230) a guy that may be as big as 280lbs? Makes a lot more sense to drop a few lbs and make it to 205, which is why 205 seems to packed to me.

Were they to make a 195 and a 225 you'd see a lot of the 205's going to their better fit divisions. Specially 225. We'd get Shogun, Nogueira, Jardine, Vera, heck, you may even see Griffin there as he's got the height and body type to enter a 225 with a few more muscle lbs and the list just goes on.

I hope they one day make it and create those divisions.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
lower divisions would be a waste of money we already wath them for free like jesse said. i think it would make the superheavy weight class boring theres not too many good super weights....only like 6 or 7. some colud get greedy(or smart) and make an easy cut to 225. i bet randy would do so good at 225.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'd rather have a competitive 225 division with wht would be the best 225 fighters than "The Brock Lesnar Show", where people win more by brute strength than by technique, and where lower weights have no shot.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
dont get me wrong i LOVE watching the big guys go at it like wanderlei, fedor, rashad, etc but i like seeing the technique and speed more

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Bad idea. The more weight classes you get, the more watered down they all become. I think in 5 years as MMA starts to have more athletes and fighters they may need to add more inbetween weight classes. But not right now, there are just not enough quality fighters to fill them. It does suck for guys like Wandy, Rich Franklin, a few others that fit naturally right in that 195 range, but are too short/small for the larger 205ers. I guess the only choice is to lose some muscle mass and cut to 185 right now.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Or they could just start some powerlifting and get strong enough to handle people in that weight class.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
powerlifting? most already do have crazy stuff they do. anymore and it would affect training or get them hurt.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't think they are worried about maxing out on bench.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
they need endurance. they alreaady do werid crazy abnormal things for strength.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Wandy's trainning schedule is ridiculous. I watched a special back in brazil about his trainning, it's unbelieveable. Ridiculous! Outrageous! If not mistaken he goes 20 flights of stairs, with a big weight body pack, fast, then comes down and jumps on an ice tank before doing it again.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I don't know which sounds scarier, 20 flights of stairs or jumping in a tub of ice...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Or they could just start some powerlifting and get strong enough to handle people in that weight class.
The last thing they need is additional strain/stress on their joints. Grappling is worse than PL'ing on the joints and combining them is asking for something bad to happen.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
The last thing they need is additional strain/stress on their joints. Grappling is worse than PL'ing on the joints and combining them is asking for something bad to happen.
Pretty much.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
at higher weight the weight classes dont need to be close together. 135 and 145 155 10 pounds are part. on these small guys thats a huge difference. it starts to get bigger with a 15pound gap next two classes which is pretty easy to tell what class you should be in. the gap gets bigger and it should stay that way. i feel most 205'ers could go up or down. and most heavy weights could go down. 185's jsut freaking take time off and get bigger. the weight classes wont change they will jsut have random catch fights when guys careers need it.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Which guy do you think was whining to Dana about not wanting to make weight? haha

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
huh i dont get it? i jsut dont think at this level of competetion we should feel bad for weight and natural weight and stuff you know. too bad you arnt as big as rashad and cut down to 205 or gsp cutting to 170 sucks for you hahahahaha im not trippin 195 wont happen.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I always step on the scale and do the UFC pose (double bi) and then worry that I'm always having to fight Brock L.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
hahahha yeah i weight 235 and no way im a heavy weight. i could cut 205 easy in 4 weeks but then again im a youngin and all this sp250 and sizeon holdin water. i would fight heavy weight if i got to 255 and then cut no liek 240

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
dana white power trips. he thinks like he controls people desineys and stuff

MacTruck33

Awards
Bad idea, too many weight classes is going to make the UFC more watered down and would look a lot like boxing...no thanks.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
hahahha yeah i weight 235 and no way im a heavy weight. i could cut 205 easy in 4 weeks but then again im a youngin and all this sp250 and sizeon holdin water. i would fight heavy weight if i got to 255 and then cut no liek 240
6'3 dude come on. Give Brock a leg lock.

This time 2 years ago I was 195. Its just the last 2 years of Thnxgivin/Christmas up north has put the spurs to me. Damn you biscuits and gravy!

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
hahaha oh please you know your going for that bulk! ima do a crazy 4 week cut to look good for this pool party hahaha

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
are you F'ing kidding me? i had a ZMA dream about this!!!!!! omg! i always wondered why he wouldnt train with him he got his ass kicked twice. i think silva had fun with that striker. thats cool they are working together. i wonder how the language barrier is going. im sur they are learning both rich is pretty smart and silva is prolly around english a ton before this.