muy tai training

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
I've just started taking muy tai classes recently. My training before this has always been focused more towards a bodybuilder physique. Now I have realized my endurance is really lacking. Are there any good exercises or drills I should try to get better? I really like this class and im sure id love it if I didn't feel like I was 80 years old at the end.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
I train muy thai and i can totally see where your coming from in regards to fitness. Does your gym offer a conditioning class? If so I would definitely take that that will help you alot. If not maybe you can buy a used punching bag and practice your strikes while constantly moving on your toes and practice your kicks, elbows, and knees always moving. Throw your strikes and then move and bounce around like someones countering it will also help develop your footwork. If you rather not buy a punching bag SHADOW BOX SHADOW BOX SHADOW BOX. It's hands down the best thing you can do and it will help your fitness as well as your form.

hehateme261

Awards
I totally agree with mytime. Get the punching bag and work on that. I train for boxing more than muy thai but if you just punch that bag for 2 min straight (1 round) and take 1 min off for four rounds your endurance will skyrocket. forget about form while doing this, just get your endurance up first. Jumping rope is probably the most inexpensive way of increasing your cardio system. IT IS A MUST!! Last thing i could add in would be to run a few miles per day. Good Luck and have fun!

P.S. diet is the key

diesel7

Awards
Mountain bike, a few miles a day at least. Running kills my knees. Heavy drop sets with compound free weights in the gym. Try not to rest between sets. Bike has worked best for me. Pull ups, push ups,dips, anything to keep your heart rate sky rocketed.
Of course watch your diet, carb up a couple hours before your workout.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've just started taking muy tai classes recently. My training before this has always been focused more towards a bodybuilder physique. Now I have realized my endurance is really lacking. Are there any good exercises or drills I should try to get better? I really like this class and im sure id love it if I didn't feel like I was 80 years old at the end.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

Its just a class right? I am sure you aren't sparring right off the bat. Its sounds like the class is a good form of cardio so I would just make sure you make it religiously and give it your all.

and of course eat right.

Tkomma

Tkomma

Awards
One of the big things that helped my Muay Thai conditioning was doing every physical activity with a mouth guard in.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
We used to do card training. Write out 20-30 cards of solo or bag activity, randomly pick one, do it and you have 20-30 seconds to rest before picking another card. Finish till deck runs out. Card examples: 50 right hooks, 50 right cross, 30 knees(each leg), 30 elbows(each arm) 20 clap pushups, etc etc, you get the picture. When all done,.. wow what a great feeling.

Besides that, sparring, focus mitts, and other cardio days,.. that was it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8