How does everyone recover enough?

R

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Hey all, I was just wondering whether I could ask a simple questionas to how everyone structured their weight training in regards to MMA
My training split goes like this:
Monday: Shoulders/Tris
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Back/Biceps
Friday: chest

The shoulders, Tris and legs workouts are fine and I am ready to pound them again on thursday when I train in MMA, But i was wondering how everyone coped with structuring workouts around MMA? my schedule works for the groups I just mentioned, but I enter training with an already sore lower back which makes the squats hard to do, I also do still have mild DOMS in my legs but they are nothing more than an annoyance really so I dont consider them a problem. I was just wondering whether there was any useful advice people could gve to help me recover enough to keep this schedule up? Im just getting my diet back in check so I know that will help a bit, but even when I was eating everything in sight I would still have next day DOMS from deadlifting lol, Is this normal? I have no problem with just sucking it up and moving on if its just something I have to live with, I am just interested to know so that I can make sure my training is the most effective it can be. Thanks to anyone who can offer advice!

jackedandtan1

jackedandtan1

Awards
i do mma tuesday thursday and saterday and workout the rest of the week im usually on a test booster or creatine and my diet is pretty good deffentley clean so that helps r u taking any supps

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
I do mma when i have someone to watch my kids so usally, friday, sat ,sun and sometimes monday, and i love Xtend i also throw in some citrulline malate to help with the recovery.
plus i weight and cross train everyday im not training

Tkomma

Tkomma

Awards
My lifting split is: Mon bi/back, Fri Chest/tri/shoulders. I pair the groups on Fri, because all the striking and grappling beats up my shoulders. So I try not to overwork them. I gave up lifting legs because I felt slower and less flexible. Post workout insulin spike and fast acting protean.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My lifting split is: Mon bi/back, Fri Chest/tri/shoulders. I pair the groups on Fri, because all the striking and grappling beats up my shoulders. So I try not to overwork them. I gave up lifting legs because I felt slower and less flexible. Post workout insulin spike and fast acting protean.
Fail. Adequate caloric intake is the main concern, not slamming down 100g of glucose after training. Training legs will make you much, much more flexible if you train them properly. I have huge thighs, but I can still put my foot behind my head

Tkomma

Tkomma

Awards
Who said 100g of glucose? With the amount of Muay Thai, Bjj and cardio I do, I felt sore all the time. I still work legs, but not with anything besides body weight.
Fail. Adequate caloric intake is the main concern, not slamming down 100g of glucose after training. Training legs will make you much, much more flexible if you train them properly. I have huge thighs, but I can still put my foot behind my head

Tkomma

Tkomma

Awards
Post Workout Nutrition research Studies:
While the conerstone of post-workout nutrition, traditionally has been a high carb drink immediately after a workout, many bodybuilders now advocate protein added also. A study (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Apr;288(4):E645-53. Epub 2004 Nov 23) showed increased protein synthesis from amino acid plus carbs over the carb only. Another study (J Appl Physiol. 2004 Feb;96(2):674-8. Epub 2003 Oct 31) also found net positive body protein balance, was better with amino acids than carbs post workout. A study published in Diabetes. 1999 May;48(5):949-57, showed insulin had 3 times greater effect on amino acid transport. Researchers concluded that low amino acid availability, could limit the insulin’s effect on muscle protein synthesis after exercise.
There is some conflicting results, on the factor of protein added to carbs, on glycogen synthesis and recovery. I believe one reason why there is some conflicting results can be found in research study published in Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jul;72(1):106-11. In the study glycogen synthesis was increased from either, protein + carbs drink or simply increasing the carb intake, compared to the normal carb drink group. The protein plus carbs and the higher carb group, had a higher insulin response than the normal carb group. In other words, adding protein and aminos to a post workout drink, just may be a expensive form of glucose(once it’s converted in the body). Therefore, the amount of carbs to cause a adequate insulin spike, is the main factor in glycogen synthesis and recovery. I should also add that, glycogen recovery is of little importance to bodybuilders. Our main focus, is post workout nutrition’s effect on protein synthesis and anabolic hormone production.
Carbohydrates are important post workout because of the hormonal changes they cause with insulin. IGF-1 releases when growth hormone and insulin are high. After a workout your insulin will be low, but your growth hormone levels should be high. By having a carb drink post workout, you will spike your insulin and cause the release of IGF-1 as a result. IGF-1 is extremely important in muscle growth. Another reason carbs are important is in controlling cortisol. Cortisol starts producing heavily near the end of a workout and we know cortisol production is blunted by spikes in insulin, which high carb intake causes.
A study in J Appl Physiol. 1998 Oct;85(4):1544-55 showed differences in hormonal changes for days, between the placebo and those supplementing carbs and protein for pre and post workout meals. In this study, growth hormone and testosterone were elevated immediately post workout. On day one, growth hormone increased more for the supplemented group. Cortisol production post workout was blunted by the supplement group. IGF-1 was also increased for the supplement group on days 2 and 3. This study shows that what you eat before and after workout, can effect your hormonal response for multiple days.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who said 100g of glucose? With the amount of Muay Thai, Bjj and cardio I do, I felt sore all the time. I still work legs, but not with anything besides body weight.
Haven't been there before...

Oh, wait...yeah I have.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You quote studies from a fishbowl and disregard tons of other information such as leucine elicits a very high insulin response. Most sports science research with regards to post-workout have been done by John Ivy at University of Texas at Austin. I have been to several of his lectures and, many times, he is redundant beyond belief.

R

Random181

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, i switched to a new split so im now doing DC training, thinking about it now though, im pretty sure I can recover enough, with some aminos post workout and good sleep, I work chest/tris/shoulders/back wednesday some weeks and im pretty sure thats the only time I actually gotta worry about the recovery to much, thanks for the advice though all :)

Tkomma

Tkomma

Awards
Okay, then what would be you perfect post workout meal/ drink or both? No sarcasm.
You quote studies from a fishbowl and disregard tons of other information such as leucine elicits a very high insulin response. Most sports science research with regards to post-workout have been done by John Ivy at University of Texas at Austin. I have been to several of his lectures and, many times, he is redundant beyond belief.