Tapout founder "Mask" dies in an auto accident

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
He and the rest of the group have done a lot for up and coming fighters as well as the sport in general. Very tragic.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I'm at a loss of words...RIP man. Thanks for all you have done.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah man jsut read it, so sad rip man! he did awesome things

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
It says he "lost control" of his ferrari early wednesday morning (in the MSN article), is that code for drunk/drugged driving?

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
Am I really the only one that found this guy absurdly annoying? Sucks that he's dead though...

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Am I really the only one that found this guy absurdly annoying? Sucks that he's dead though...
no you are not. but it does suck that he died for his friends and family though.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah he was annoying but did great things and helped MMA . its a very sad thing i hope punkass and sky scrape are doing okay. i know punkass is prolly not. i hope they keep bangin out what they do(promote make clothes) he had a good heart

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
can anyone explain to me how they "helped the sport"? I will give you a hundred dollars if it makes any sense at all. If anything they make it look retarded

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
getting a strong clothing line out there and its hip and people find out more about MMA and more peopel start to train and the sport grows and star rise rather than jsut brazilians. also they got guys fights drove them there gave them confidence helped them out sponsored them. there show could be annoying but they were having a good time. i wouldnt hate on them or be so closed minded

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Before Tapout only brazilians fought? You learn something new every day.

Driving and Racing does not mix very well.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
no you totally misunderstood what im saying. so many people didnt know anything about MMA till UFC started to rise now more and more peopel are fans. tapout helped UFC rise in america after then ban was lifted

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no you totally misunderstood what im saying. so many people didnt know anything about MMA till UFC started to rise now more and more peopel are fans. tapout helped UFC rise in america after then ban was lifted
no, no they didnt.

Kegger

Awards
The Tapout guys would travel the country and search out new talent. Guys that were new to competing and were unheard of yet. It's a known fact that the Tapout guys would "shine the light" on these no-name guys with talent who were new to the business. They would get them sponsored with either Tapout or other organizations. That obviously equals more money in those fighter's pockets. The Tapout guys would also offer to help train them and get them in gyms with some of the best fighters and trainers in the country. If thats not helping the sport, then what is??? Where's my $100?

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The Tapout guys would travel the country and search out new talent. Guys that were new to competing and were unheard of yet. It's a known fact that the Tapout guys would "shine the light" on these no-name guys with talent who were new to the business. They would get them sponsored with either Tapout or other organizations. That obviously equals more money in those fighter's pockets. The Tapout guys would also offer to help train them and get them in gyms with some of the best fighters and trainers in the country. If thats not helping the sport, then what is??? Where's my $100?
they also made the sport look like it was affiliated with people named Punk Ass and Mask and other retardness. They made money by riding on the coatails of an incredibly fast growing sport. It was gonna spread like wildfire with or without them.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
this is really irrelevent isnt it? the man is dead. we are not talking about don king here, so stop acting like they really helped, or really hurt the sport. Maybe you found them annoying maybe you dont. they made money and helped a couple guys out on the way. They are not unlike any other sport sponsor out there. But for gods sake, show some respect.

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is really irrelevent isnt it? the man is dead. we are not talking about don king here, so stop acting like they really helped, or really hurt the sport. Maybe you found them annoying maybe you dont. they made money and helped a couple guys out on the way. They are not unlike any other sport sponsor out there. But for gods sake, show some respect.
Fukin Ay.:goodpost:

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
is this thread a memorial or something. everybody quiet

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
speaking the truth? truth according to who?

Character assasination of the recently deceased= arrogance at monumental levels. People love to hate on others, it makes them feel better about themselves. if you wanna bash the guy and question his place in mma history, give it a week at least.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
speaking the truth? truth according to who?

Character assasination of the recently deceased= arrogance at monumental levels. People love to hate on others, it makes them feel better about themselves. if you wanna bash the guy and question his place in mma history, give it a week at least.
charactar assasination? seriously?

a week from death or a week from today?

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
all im pretty much saying is the guy, and his crew did in fact perpetuate the fan base of the UFC, which is what also made mma a household name along with TUF. It is a fact. Im sure that Dana White would agree. And please dont try to argue that mma was popular before the UFC. Ive been watching mma for a long, long time, before UFC 1. Whether or not you thought they were "retarded" as you so eloquently put it, is irrelevent. It is just basic, human decency, not to talk like that about another person after they just died a horrific death. Decency? Heard of it?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ya people are too closed minded. he did a hell of a job. dont be a ****.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
You may think he didn't do much for the sport, that he was riding something that was growing to make profit, and all else.

But they did make part in the sport. They did help out some fighters. As to my understanding none of them were *******s, so how is his death not something to be taken serious?

I mean, you may not be a fan of the guy, but that doesn't change the fact that he was someone who did make part of UFC and who is no longer among us. I'm not a big fan of many fighters or characters in the UFC, doesn't mean I won't feel bad to see someone go before their time.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah maybe you didnt watch enough. ignore the little games they did on the show and the "hero" clothes. he did a lot and has contributed to the growth of the sport no question about it

Kegger

Awards
I'm glad some of you guys here get it. Decency, some people have it, and some people don't. We can argue till we are blue in the face about our opinions on what we think he did for the sport. The fact remains is that he was a good person with a kind heart. And to talk all this trash about a good person who just died in a horrific accident is very distasteful.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember reading anyone talking about him being a bad person, or having an ill heart. I do, however, remember people discussing whether he was good for the sport or not.

People have to keep in mind that he wasn't just a promoter and he wasn't just tap out. And, nobody here knew whether he was a good man or not. Unless you happen to be party of his family, you won't ever know. And even then, it's all subjective.

The point is, I doubt anyone here wished he would die or are even happy it happened.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember reading anyone talking about him being a bad person, or having an ill heart. I do, however, remember people discussing whether he was good for the sport or not.

People have to keep in mind that he wasn't just a promoter and he wasn't just tap out. And, nobody here knew whether he was a good man or not. Unless you happen to be party of his family, you won't ever know. And even then, it's all subjective.

The point is, I doubt anyone here wished he would die or are even happy it happened.
I just think it is rather obvious that he helped the sport. Arguing that he made it look "retarded " by association, is a bit extreme. the guy did pick up fighters around the country and help them out, supply workout gear and things of that nature. Im not petitioning him for sainthood or anything, because your right, i didnt know him. He definatly did more harm than good, i think most people associated with mma would probably agree.:rant:

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah some people are just *******s and im sure they would never say it to his face.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you are right i would not say it to his face, he is dead.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I just think it is rather obvious that he helped the sport. Arguing that he made it look "retarded " by association, is a bit extreme. the guy did pick up fighters around the country and help them out, supply workout gear and things of that nature. Im not petitioning him for sainthood or anything, because your right, i didnt know him. He definatly did more harm than good, i think most people associated with mma would probably agree.:rant:
I won't attempt to debate on the matter of him helping out the sport or not. For the simple fact that it is not an argument of fact. It is an argument of subjective conclusions and emotional points.

You are entitled to feel that he did good for the sport just as much as the next guy is entitled to feel that he was bad for the sport. These are just opinions and it's natural for people to have opposing views. Unfortunately, everyone is only going to know him for what put him in the limelight (tapout) and that is going to be their only perspective on him. It's okay to feel that he was a great MMA promoter, and it is also okay to feel that he was an entrepreneur that pimped MMA to make himself money. Neither point is more respectful than the other.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I won't attempt to debate on the matter of him helping out the sport or not. For the simple fact that it is not an argument of fact. It is an argument of subjective conclusions and emotional points.

You are entitled to feel that he did good for the sport just as much as the next guy is entitled to feel that he was bad for the sport. These are just opinions and it's natural for people to have opposing views. Unfortunately, everyone is only going to know him for what put him in the limelight (tapout) and that is going to be their only perspective on him. It's okay to feel that he was a great MMA promoter, and it is also okay to feel that he was an entrepreneur that pimped MMA to make himself money. Neither point is more respectful than the other.
absolutely. i respect either opinion on it. I think you make your point in a respectfull manner, unlike others, who come across like total asses.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps they lack the ability communicate like intelligible beings.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its not like I went to his funeral and said this. its not like Nelson Mandela just died. It was some guy that walked around wearing face paint and called himself mask. it sucks if anyone dies but for god sakes some people in here are acting like vaginas in my opionion.

if this was supposed to be a shrine page I would not have come in here and given my truthful opinion. i will go ahead and ad my generic hommage post now.

R.I.P. man. you will be missed by the MMA community man.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
its not like I went to his funeral and said this. its not like Nelson Mandela just died. It was some guy that walked around wearing face paint and called himself mask. it sucks if anyone dies but for god sakes some people in here are acting like vaginas in my opionion.

if this was supposed to be a shrine page I would not have come in here and given my truthful opinion. i will go ahead and ad my generic hommage post now.

R.I.P. man. you will be missed by the MMA community man.
uh..ok.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Rip

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
they also made the sport look like it was affiliated with people named Punk Ass and Mask and other retardness.

Yuuuup. This is where I have a big problem with tapout. MMA fan is now synonymous with Tapout toolbag to most, and it shouldn't be like that. In a way, yes, their advertising did help popularize the sport a bit by making it a bit more mainstream and available to the public, but I think they've done more harm than good. Doesn't mean the guy deserves to die, or that he was a bad person, but it doesn't change the fact that they're gimmicky and lame.

salras77

Awards
that scene looks pretty horrific..remind me not to buy a ferrari

BigHoov

Awards
yeah man jsut read it, so sad rip man! he did awesome things
The death of Charles was a terrible thing and i hope his family is doing well and is staying strong.
That being said....

Really? What did he do? Besides market a really cool slogan. He has done great things for himself by creating a multi-million dollar business but as far as the sport... ****, give me a break. I have seen those guys around Vegas for years now and the whole tap-out crew are a bunch of jack-offs, they are not welcome at our school. Regular people see that bullshit and it gives many of us and our sport a bad name.
I am curious to hear just what all he has done for the sport (not himself or his company), so please tell me. I'm sure the list will be so long since he has done "awesome" and "so many" things for mma.

Don't get all hurt cause you own 15 different tap-out shirts in 5 different colors and have tap-out stickers all over you car. You should know a little more about a person/company before you support them...

Hey, but the slogan sure is cool and maybe just maybe you'll make some people think you tuff cause you have your tap-out shirt on. :laugh:

Hoov

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I don't own a tapout t-shirt personally and was never a big fan of the show.

But he did get a lot of people involved in the sport. Lots do watch TV, and eat that sh!t up. Many of those who wouldn't really care much for the sport.

Gyms and knowledable people may not like it, but he did get a lot of people who would otherwise be ignoring the sport fans, even if for the bad reason or wahtever. They may have taged a "jackass" image to it, but they still promoted the sport.

Ken Shamrock has always been an a-hole, but he is still getting UFC out there. Nick Diaz, Tito, all of them, may very well put a bad "rep" to the sport, but they are still big part of it, wouldn't you say?

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
The death of Charles was a terrible thing and i hope his family is doing well and is staying strong.
That being said....

Really? What did he do? Besides market a really cool slogan. He has done great things for himself by creating a multi-million dollar business but as far as the sport... ****, give me a break. I have seen those guys around Vegas for years now and the whole tap-out crew are a bunch of jack-offs, they are not welcome at our school. Regular people see that bullshit and it gives many of us and our sport a bad name.
I am curious to hear just what all he has done for the sport (not himself or his company), so please tell me. I'm sure the list will be so long since he has done "awesome" and "so many" things for mma.

Don't get all hurt cause you own 15 different tap-out shirts in 5 different colors and have tap-out stickers all over you car. You should know a little more about a person/company before you support them...

Hey, but the slogan sure is cool and maybe just maybe you'll make some people think you tuff cause you have your tap-out shirt on. :laugh:

Hoov
I dont think at any point, did he say he thought he was tuff because he owns a tapout shirt. Why dont you ask a couple of the guys they sponsored, who were virtually unknown what they think. Then ask Dana White, if he thinks, that no matter how ridiculous the crew was, that they helped promote the sport at all. And anybody they made uncomfortable or offended, probably didnt like the sport of fighting anyway. To sit there and say that they did nothing to help PROMOTE the sport is ridiculous. Go ask the 8th grader wearing his tapout shirt, making his parents pay for monthly fight cards if he loves tapout and id be willing to bet he says yes and they are part of the way he came to find the sport. They helped EXPAND the fan base, like them or not, as well as help promote fighters. Im sure you have the whole tapout collection in your dresser at home.

Kegger

Awards
That being said....

Hoov
Why don't you try reading the entire thread noob? It's already been posted what he has done for other people.:eek:wned2:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
the guy was just stating his opinion.
Yeah he was, and making a personal attack on him." im sure you think your tuff wearing your tapout shirt" thats not really called for is it, since he was only stating his opinion as well? I love it when guys jump in to make their opinion known and act like asses instead of having a civilized discussion about something.