Frank Mir hurt, out of UFC 98 bout with Brock Lesnar

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com

One day before UFC 96 kicks off with a main event that has sparked minimal interest, the organization may be losing a main event bout that was already heavily anticipated.

According to a report at Fiveouncesofpain.com, UFC interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 98 main event bout with UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar.

The report originally referred to a back injury, but now cites a knee injury that required surgery as the culprit for the change.

The surgery will reportedly sideline Mir for four to six weeks.

Attempts by MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) to reach Mir for confirmation of the report were unsuccessful.

"UFC 98: Lesnar vs. Mir 2" was officially announced by the organization earlier this week. Tickets for the May 23 event are scheduled to go on sale to the general public Saturday.

Mir, who lives and trains in Las Vegas, is currently in Columbus, Ohio. The interim champion was originally scheduled to take part in the UFC's Fight Club Q&A session prior to the "UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine" weigh-ins, but he was replaced by former welterweight champion Matt Hughes.

Sources close to Mir indicated to MMAjunkie.com that the 29-year-old was still in training for the bout with Lesnar less than one week ago. It is currently unknown if the UFC will seek a replacement for Mir on the card.

Mir last saw action in December 2008 with a second-round TKO of then-interim-champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Ironically, there were several reports of a possible severe back injury in the days preceding the bout. Following his win, Mir told TAGG Radio (TAGG Radio Network - Home of TAGG Radio & The Lights Out Show!), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com, that he was happy to help the false reports proliferate.

"Every fighter gets injured a lot during training camps," Mir said. "One thing I've learned not to do is – I don't really give any validity to my injuries. Some of my injuries are fake. I've faked a few injuries in the past but not to pull out of fights or anything. It's just there a lot of rumors out there, and when I hear them, I help people out. ... 'Go tell people and put it on the Internet.'

"That way when a real, legitimate injury goes through, people question whether I'm really hurt or not."

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
wait, so he is really injured right? It's so hard to respect injuries before a rival fight, legitimate or not, my first instinct is always that it's a duck move. Oh well. I don't know who they could replace Mir with that would equal the anticipation (short of Randy Couture; and that one would have it's issues).

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
i was thinking gonzaga given he wins this fight. but it might be to short of a time period for gonzaga to step up to the plate.

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
and to be honest. i think if they do pick gonzaga. i think lesnar would have alot of work to do with his ground game.

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
I hope they postpone the fight...

But if they do put Gonzaga in there against Lesnar, I'm picking Gonzaga for sure.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope they postpone the fight...

But if they do put Gonzaga in there against Lesnar, I'm picking Gonzaga for sure.
That would be a good fight. However, I don't know if I'd say "for sure." Randy raped Gonzaga and Lesnar man handled Couture. I know Gonzaga has more technical skill then Lesnar, but again, I'll refer to my previous example.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Gonzaga is more legit than Mir is.

However this injury benefts Lesnar more than Mir as he gets more BJJ training. Mir should want to fight Lesnar ASAP before Lesnar really evolves into a monster ala GSP.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gonzaga is more legit than Mir is.

However this injury benefts Lesnar more than Mir as he gets more BJJ training. Mir should want to fight Lesnar ASAP before Lesnar really evolves into a monster ala GSP.
good point.

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
i think gonzaga is either really really bad effin ass. or he really really sucks at times. i think he had one of those times with couture. i mean the man is a beast. if he has his head on right. we will see. tonight against shane carwin.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
agreed, tonight will tell us a lot about both GG and Carwin. Is Carwin for real, or does GG fin ally have it together. GG has the tools to be a dominant hwy. However, his past mental lapses andheart shrinkage leaves a lot to be desired

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
lets hope he does what he did to cro cop. one of the sickest knockouts ive ever seen in my life.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to see Randy fight him once more because, Randy did win the first round vs Lesnar. If not Randy then Dana needs to get his ass into gear and bring Fedor in. I don't care who owns Fedor right now he has the money BUY HIM!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lets hope he does what he did to cro cop. one of the sickest knockouts ive ever seen in my life.
God that killed me. I didn't know who Gonzaga was at that time and I was pimping the hell out of Cro Crop to my non-Pride FC friends, so when Cro Cop got beat by his own finishing move.... it sucked. Cro Cop was my number two favorite fighter at that time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be fair, Gonzaga was exposing Carwin on his feet early - his sheer size is the only thing which kept him on his feet early. Honestly, that win made me see why people dislike Brock: one quick arm shot can end the night of a better fighter.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then Gonzaga/Lesnar is out of the question.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be fair, Gonzaga was exposing Carwin on his feet early - his sheer size is the only thing which kept him on his feet early. Honestly, that win made me see why people dislike Brock: one quick arm shot can end the night of a better fighter.
That would be my only reasoning for people's fascination with a Fedor/Brock. Clearly there is an atmospheric difference in class, but one lucky shot could result in a KO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That would be my only reasoning for people's fascination with a Fedor/Brock. Clearly there is an atmospheric difference in class, but one lucky shot could result in a KO.
It can. It is disconcerting, as Gonzaga was a large, powerfull heavyweight with great hands, and it was still difficult to put Carwin down. This may not be fair, but Carwin's win sullied my opinion of Brock!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally think Brock is better than Carwin. To me he seems to have a bit more athleticism.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
gonzaga isnt better than mir. and i am getting so tired of people talking about size. you can be fuking 265 so if you think its that good then bulk up damn

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
gonzaga isnt better than mir. and i am getting so tired of people talking about size. you can be fuking 265 so if you think its that good then bulk up damn
Size needs to be in context, though. A muscular 265 and a less-than-athletic 265 are associated with entirely different spectrums of power, speed, athleticism and so on; most definitely size comes into the equations. Quite frankly, an individual who was not 265 would not knock out Gonzaga with an arm punch so, you have to take it into consideration.

Size is not the only factor, but when coupled with speed and athleticism it differentiates two fighters.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
like it or not, being knocked out in one shot is the reality of any fighter. I dont think carwin got lucky at all. i think gonzaga got lucky with cro cop. im not saying he isnt a great fighter, but he got F!!kin smashed last night.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
like it or not, being knocked out in one shot is the reality of any fighter. I dont think carwin got lucky at all. i think gonzaga got lucky with cro cop. im not saying he isnt a great fighter, but he got F!!kin smashed last night.
I never said it was luck, but it was an arm shot that, delivered from another individual, would not have knocked Gonzaga out. Nothing too controversial and/or profound about that statement.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I never said it was luck, but it was an arm shot that, delivered from another individual, would not have knocked Gonzaga out. Nothing too controversial and/or profound about that statement.
im just not a gonzaga fan. and to say it wouldnt have ko'ed him is pure speculation and not profound in the least, your right.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im just not a gonzaga fan. and to say it wouldnt have ko'ed him is pure speculation and not profound in the least, your right.
It was literally an arm punch with no rotation of the hips - to say there are a select few individuals that can K.O., somebody with that shot is not speculation by any means.

We may be missing the line of communication here. What I am saying is this: the size of Carwin and Brock, allowing them to absorb and dole out more damage, makes up for their skill disadvantages; particularly, in situations where their unsuspecting punches - ala Randy v., Brock, Carwin v., Gonzaga - K.O. their opponents. So, as you said, nothing too profound or difficult to understand about that in the least.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
It was literally an arm punch with no rotation of the hips - to say there are a select few individuals that can K.O., somebody with that shot is not speculation by any means.

We may be missing the line of communication here. What I am saying is this: the size of Carwin and Brock, allowing them to absorb and dole out more damage, makes up for their skill disadvantages; particularly, in situations where their unsuspecting punches - ala Randy v., Brock, Carwin v., Gonzaga - K.O. their opponents. So, as you said, nothing too profound or difficult to understand about that in the least.
yeah i agree with that, esspecially since i recently made the same argument concerning brock. and yes thei skill disadvantages are evident. i personally thinkmir looks awesome. im not and never will be a gonzaga fan tho.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
then props to him. im so sick of people talking about size. they OWRK ON THEIR SIZE jsut like others work on their other skills. if they fought again carwin would win again. lesner is better than gonzaga aswell

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It can. It is disconcerting, as Gonzaga was a large, powerfull heavyweight with great hands, and it was still difficult to put Carwin down. This may not be fair, but Carwin's win sullied my opinion of Brock!
I can see where you're coming from.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm still a major Lesnar fan and supporter and my philosophies may differ in validating Lesnar's legitimacy, but I can see your spectrum of reasoning.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
if they fought again i also agree carwin would win. and no way gonzaga is better than mir. NNNOOO WWWAAYY.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
seriously! lesner over gonzag, mir over gonzaga, carwin over gonzaga, id have to say mir did impress me i think those 3 are all a toss up if they fought it would be diff everytime. i think lesner will surprise us even more. that guy must be training hard. stop the whole lesner and carwin are just big! its FOKING heavy weight damnit! you choose what you wanna be hahaha damn its all in there strat

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
basically it comes down to this anyway, carwin weighs 265, and people are arguing that his size had to do with his win. gonzaga weighs 250. when you start talking about weight over 250+ lbs, 15 isnt all that much of a difference. gonzaga got beat. period.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
He did get beat. Shane's clinch must have frustrated gonzaga into letting down his guard. Half a clinch at that.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah both of them could be heavier or lighter if they wanted. if 285 was the limit i wonder what carwin would want to be. i want carwin to get a couple more fights and have a good match with lesner.

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards
i can def see lesnar vs carwin. very very bad ass fight.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Definitely. Shane needs some more good fights in preparation for a lesnar fight. Then again lesnar hasn't had many fights either (as major as they were) so it could be to shane's advantage to fight him early.
I think Randy should get a few more in as well so he can come back for a rematch.. or hell drop back down in weight f**k i just miss the ol' Natural.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Definitely. Shane needs some more good fights in preparation for a lesnar fight. Then again lesnar hasn't had many fights either (as major as they were) so it could be to shane's advantage to fight him early.
I think Randy should get a few more in as well so he can come back for a rematch.. or hell drop back down in weight f**k i just miss the ol' Natural.
randy couture= classiest fighter ever.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On legit HW's (245+), all it takes is one solid shot right on the jaw, a la Carwin, to KO anyone. Keep your hands down and that's the risk you run.

I'd also like to say that GG is the most-overrated HW out there today. Outside of CC, what has he done? He has great BJJ, but he's not even amongst the top echelon of that either (Maia, Jacare, Roger, and Marcelo dominate). There is a nice vid of Maia and GG grappling with Maia triangling GG, IIRC.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
fuk it would suck taking a punch from those guys. yeah GG ...im not a fan of at all hahaha carwin needs one more big test cain V is good he whips the shitout of crappy guys but i dunno who will win that fight cain is rising star and carwin is a beast.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
fuk it would suck taking a punch from those guys. yeah GG ...im not a fan of at all hahaha carwin needs one more big test cain V is good he whips the shitout of crappy guys but i dunno who will win that fight cain is rising star and carwin is a beast.
That fatty that Cain fought was the King pin. Haha. I'd like to see that fight for sure.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
On legit HW's (245+), all it takes is one solid shot right on the jaw, a la Carwin, to KO anyone. Keep your hands down and that's the risk you run.

I'd also like to say that GG is the most-overrated HW out there today. Outside of CC, what has he done? He has great BJJ, but he's not even amongst the top echelon of that either (Maia, Jacare, Roger, and Marcelo dominate). There is a nice vid of Maia and GG grappling with Maia triangling GG, IIRC.
That is exactly right. exactly.

Bendiesel

Bendiesel

Awards

like i mentioned earlier. either hes on spot and bad ass. or he effin sucks. here lately i think his mind and training havent been keyed in and hes been suffering for it. i truely think hes a great fighter. if he could just keep his **** together long enough to prove it.:scared:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
like i mentioned earlier. either hes on spot and bad ass. or he effin sucks. here lately i think his mind and training havent been keyed in and hes been suffering for it. i truely think hes a great fighter. if he could just keep his **** together long enough to prove it.:scared:
He is only "spot on" against lower level competition. Wins over Justin McCully or Carmelo Marrera don't make him a top-10 HW. Take out his win against CC and he has never beaten any legit, top-tier HW.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
As far as Gonzaga x Couture fight went, it's important also to point that he got a broken nose fairly early in the fight, and that screwed up the remainder of that fight.

I think it's a good matchup, Lesnar x Gonzaga.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i think its terrible lesner will destroy him. mir carwin is way better match up.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
i think its terrible lesner will destroy him. mir carwin is way better match up.
Im gonna have to agree. I suppose if - if gonzaga could pull something off on the ground... but no. I think mir is the answer to lesner. I would love to see carwin tool on lesnar, not saying it would happen, i would just enjoy it if it did.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Im gonna have to agree. I suppose if - if gonzaga could pull something off on the ground... but no. I think mir is the answer to lesner. I would love to see carwin tool on lesnar, not saying it would happen, i would just enjoy it if it did.
Mir/Lesnar was probably the most exciting fight officially announced that was coming up. If Mir's not all fck'd up from that "injury" he will be the most exciting belt holder in the heavy weight class. Then obviously fighting Shane would be sweet too but no one else has the personality like Mir. ...I only say that because I don't know that Randy has his head in the game anymore because all he wants is Fedor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 1
MMA 216
avgBdybldr MMA 136
MMA 9
MMA 12