Who's excited about Mark Coleman's Return?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Who's excited about Mark Coleman's Return??

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    Who's excited about Mark Coleman's Return??


    I AM!

    And as a MMA forum in a bodybuilding website, you guys should too!

    That guy's a Monster! hehehehe.

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I wonder what he will look like at 205.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    I've always thought that he has the best body in MMA. Ken Shamrock in his prime would also be a runner up.

    It's the damn cardio that kills these big guys though..
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    There are bigger fighters with better cardio, it's just that his physique is too inplated for his frame.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33853

    Reputation

    He's a phisical freak, it's unbelieveable. How someone gets to that phisique and still trains hard for MMA, is just something I can't grasp!

    But I think it'll be a fun fight. We'll see probably the strongest 205 ever, wouldn't you guys say? Shogun will have his hands full. We'll see if he hasn't lost a step though, hope not.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    He's a phisical freak, it's unbelieveable. How someone gets to that phisique and still trains hard for MMA, is just something I can't grasp!

    But I think it'll be a fun fight. We'll see probably the strongest 205 ever, wouldn't you guys say? Shogun will have his hands full. We'll see if he hasn't lost a step though, hope not.
    Strength and size are not synonymous. If Mauricio is close to his old self, then Coleman will look worse than Rampage did.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2158

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Strength and size are not synonymous. If Mauricio is close to his old self, then Coleman will look worse than Rampage did.
    What's your take on his knee issues? It seems like when a fighter has a lot of surgeries and problems with a knee that they never fully get that spring and explosiveness back. I think of Tito. Do you agree with this?

    JZ is in the same boat.
  8. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1483

    Reputation

    I personally think he is washed up like Shamrock, Tito, and Chuck Liddell. He used to be one of the greats though!
  9. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2158

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    I personally think he is washed up like Shamrock, Tito, and Chuck Liddell. He used to be one of the greats though!
    Why would you think he's washed up? Shamrock, come on. Some of the posts around here are just embarrassing. Shogun had one bad fight on a bum knee against an under-rated (at the time) Forrest. It was a pretty even too until Shogun's gas ran out.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    What's your take on his knee issues? It seems like when a fighter has a lot of surgeries and problems with a knee that they never fully get that spring and explosiveness back. I think of Tito. Do you agree with this?

    JZ is in the same boat.
    Tito didn't have his knees fixed for a long time and it was his back that really debilatated him. I think he came back too quickly and didn't let it heal properly. He has an explosive, dynamic style that puts much stress on the joints. I hope he took the rehab more slowly. He is still a young fighter and I fully expect him to come back as the old Mauricio.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1483

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Why would you think he's washed up? Shamrock, come on. Some of the posts around here are just embarrassing. Shogun had one bad fight on a bum knee against an under-rated (at the time) Forrest. It was a pretty even too until Shogun's gas ran out.
    Coleman used to be great. He hasn't fought since 2006 when he lost to Fedor. Now he is going to fight one of the top heavyweights and I don't think he has a chance.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    Coleman used to be great. He hasn't fought since 2006 when he lost to Fedor. Now he is going to fight one of the top heavyweights and I don't think he has a chance.
    Mauricio is a LHW, not a HW; their first "fight" was at HW, but this will be at LHW.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    He's beaten Shogun before (I don't care if Shogun just landed badly on his arm that time. That was a TKO clearly the result of a Takedown,) and he lost only by submissions to one of the finest grapplers in the world (Fedor.) In recent times only Cro Cop was able to knock him out.

    This guy's also won the Pride 2000 OW Grand Prix, which is !4! fights in One night.

    I think he'll have a good chance against Shogun. I don't think Shogun's striking ability is anywhere near Cro Cop's (in his prime when he fought Coleman..)
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    He's beaten Shogun before (I don't care if Shogun just landed badly on his arm that time. That was a TKO clearly the result of a Takedown,) and he lost only by submissions to one of the finest grapplers in the world (Fedor.) In recent times only Cro Cop was able to knock him out.

    This guy's also won the Pride 2000 OW Grand Prix, which is !4! fights in One night.

    I think he'll have a good chance against Shogun. I don't think Shogun's striking ability is anywhere near Cro Cop's (in his prime when he fought Coleman..)
    It was 3 fights in 1 night; the first round was several months before the final. MMA is vastly different now from where it was at in 2000 plus, he has the easiest road to the GP title that year (Shoji is a fat LHW, Fujita threw in the towel at the beginning of their fight and Igor was gassed by the title the finals began). Shogun was able to withstand the ground attack of Arona and Minotoro, who are much more accomplished grapplers than Coleman.

    This fight really depends on the health/status of Mauricio. If he's right, then it will not end well for Coleman.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    475

    Reputation

    Any olympic wrestler (he placed 7th in 92) and former NCAA champ is a very accomplished grappler. He has the best double leg in the history of the sport. He certainly doesnt have a submission offense, but his defense is good. He's only been subbed by Nog and Fedor. We all know the Takada fight was a work. I agree that a healthy Shogun should smash him, but you cant count Coleman out, especially in a cage. He showed a lot of heart during the Fedor massacre, and is far from a shot fighter like Shamrock. The man pioneered GnP and IMO deserves mad respect.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,992
    Rep Power
    917960

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Any olympic wrestler (he placed 7th in 92) and former NCAA champ is a very accomplished grappler. He has the best double leg in the history of the sport. He certainly doesnt have a submission offense, but his defense is good. He's only been subbed by Nog and Fedor. We all know the Takada fight was a work. I agree that a healthy Shogun should smash him, but you cant count Coleman out, especially in a cage. He showed a lot of heart during the Fedor massacre, and is far from a shot fighter like Shamrock. The man pioneered GnP and IMO deserves mad respect.
    I agree. Like I said a few months back, I place Coleman amongst the most influential fighters in MMA.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33853

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Strength and size are not synonymous. If Mauricio is close to his old self, then Coleman will look worse than Rampage did.
    True, but Coleman has one of the best mix of the two. I'd say Cheick Congo like if I'd reference to anyone these days (except his height).

    But the takedowns he used to pull on the guys he used to force it to... Well, someone just half strong just could not pull those. He's taken down some huge dudes and he has done that over and over and over, many fights, many times on each ones of those.

    With all that said, I'd still side with Shogun if he's fully healthy. I give Griffin credit for the win but it was still on a time where he just wasn't himself and for an error, because that fight belong to him, if it was up to the judges I think Shogun would've won. But no excuses on MMA so I'll just say that I think Shogun will be the one comming out victorious on this one.
  18. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    475

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    True, but Coleman has one of the best mix of the two. I'd say Cheick Congo like if I'd reference to anyone these days (except his height).

    But the takedowns he used to pull on the guys he used to force it to... Well, someone just half strong just could not pull those. He's taken down some huge dudes and he has done that over and over and over, many fights, many times on each ones of those.

    With all that said, I'd still side with Shogun if he's fully healthy. I give Griffin credit for the win but it was still on a time where he just wasn't himself and for an error, because that fight belong to him, if it was up to the judges I think Shogun would've won. But no excuses on MMA so I'll just say that I think Shogun will be the one comming out victorious on this one.
    Not no nitpick, but his strength was/is much different than that of Kongo. Coleman was much more powerful. I would compare it to someone like Carwin.
  19. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2158

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    Coleman used to be great. He hasn't fought since 2006 when he lost to Fedor. Now he is going to fight one of the top heavyweights and I don't think he has a chance.
    We were talking about Shogun so I thought your post was referring to him. Yeah, Coleman's probably done. I don't think he'll have a good shot (ie double leg) at all in this fight. He's had recent injuries, and he won't be free to use whatever chemicals he wants now.
  20. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33853

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Not no nitpick, but his strength was/is much different than that of Kongo. Coleman was much more powerful. I would compare it to someone like Carwin.
    True, but Kongo has a very good deal of strength for his size / weight, which is why I thought it was a somewhat good comparisson. If you look at Coleman right now you'd probably not believe he's a LHW.
  21. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    475

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    True, but Kongo has a very good deal of strength for his size / weight, which is why I thought it was a somewhat good comparisson. If you look at Coleman right now you'd probably not believe he's a LHW.
    Havent seen any recent pics of him and hes never fought at lhw before. God knows what he will look like come fight time.
  22. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33853

    Reputation

    Just check out UFC.com and there's a video about his trainning camp. Of course, that won't show his strength, only his body, but knowing him I'd say he's looking on a really good track to this fight.
  23. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    I am honestly much more excited to see Shogun.
  24. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,382
    Rep Power
    956430

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    at this point in their respective careers, Coleman will have to wrestle, gnp and lnp to securer a win. He will also need to be very careful as if he gets careless Shogun will sub him. I dont see it going further than a minute or 2 into rd 2 with a shogun sub victory.

    Now, Hendo v. Franklin I am totally torn about. However, at the end of the day I will say Hendo by UD, as I think his wrestling and grinding style will wear Franklin down.

    O am also interested to see Kang in the cage. A little fresh blood at 185 is a good thing, as Bisping is not the answer to Anderson (hell, neither is Kang)
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  25. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    475

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    We were talking about Shogun so I thought your post was referring to him. Yeah, Coleman's probably done. I don't think he'll have a good shot (ie double leg) at all in this fight. He's had recent injuries, and he won't be free to use whatever chemicals he wants now.
    Referring to your last sentence, the same goes for Shogun.
  26. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    Odds right now I think are something like -300 shogun, +250 coleman. I don't think it should be that far..
  27. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1483

    Reputation

    Coleman did better than I thought, but he was gassed by the end of round 1.
  28. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,382
    Rep Power
    956430

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I was not impressed by Shogun, but he fights Liddell in May or April now I believe UFC 97

    WTF Rampage v. Jardine?
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  29. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    33853

    Reputation

    Mark Coleman looked horrible. He just looked decent because Shogun looked almost as bad as him.

    What a horrible fight. Both gased in the end of the 1st round without much reason for that.
  30. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1483

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Mark Coleman looked horrible. He just looked decent because Shogun looked almost as bad as him.

    What a horrible fight. Both gased in the end of the 1st round without much reason for that.
    I was not happy with many of the fights except for the Davis/Lytle fight. The others were a little boring compared to UFC 92.

    I can't wait for BJ/GSP. That will be a fight for the ages.
  31. New Member
    Condition1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    492
    Rep Power
    329

    Reputation

    I don't think April is enough time for Shogun. He looked horrible, he cannot stand and take shots like that against a 205er not named Coleman. There were some flashes of his old self, we'll just have to wait and see.

    I hope Coleman retires.
  32. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    The 44 year old dude put up a Good Fight. Props to him. A true legend and Still has one of the better bodies in MMA (If you look at it from a bodybuilding POV.)
  33. Senior Member
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1512

    Reputation

    I think shogun is terrible and would love to see chuck K.o. him
  34. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    I can imagine GSP taking down BJ continously like the first fight. If he stands against BJ there's a chance he'll be KO'ed. BJ might be a BJJ wiz but his punches pack a wallop too. There's no passing the guard etc. from GSP either because he won't be able to pass BJ's guard. His best hope is GnP or a lucky kick/knee/superman punch.
  35. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    There's no passing the guard etc. from GSP either because he won't be able to pass BJ's guard. His best hope is GnP or a lucky kick/knee/superman punch.
    You think so?
  36. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    291

    Reputation

    Yep, no doubt in my mind. And the only reason BJ's takedown defense is no good in the first place is because he knows he can function well in the ground whether top or bottom. If their last fight was a 'Royce Gracie' type of fight w/ no time limits. BJ would've smashed GSP's face to oblivion even more.

    GSP's brainy though so if he doesn't get caught w/ anything I give him another victory by decision.
  37. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    475

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    Yep, no doubt in my mind. And the only reason BJ's takedown defense is no good in the first place is because he knows he can function well in the ground whether top or bottom. If their last fight was a 'Royce Gracie' type of fight w/ no time limits. BJ would've smashed GSP's face to oblivion even more.

    GSP's brainy though so if he doesn't get caught w/ anything I give him another victory by decision.
    BJ's td defense is no good? BJ has incredible TD defense (see his one legged sprawl in Hughes #2). And if there were no time limits BJ would have gassed and been owned. His cardio is no good, not his td defense.
  38. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,382
    Rep Power
    956430

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I agree in the past that BJ's tank dies quick, I just wonder how it is now. He is a much more motviated fighter. Just look at the sherk fight. He was still going strong when he finished it.

    I do think GSP will out work him though. My feeling is, that either BJ catches him early , or GSP works a ud after outworking him late
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  39. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1483

    Reputation

    I personally think this is BJ's fight. He has a much more determined mindset and tons of motivation from pute hatred. I think BJ is more motivated by dislike than any other UFC fighter. He has proven in his last few fights that he has his cardio on point and I think he can go the distance if needed this time. That being said, GSP is one of the best as well and I am excited to see a bloody fight. Especially since the last UFC was boring.
  40. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    475

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    I agree in the past that BJ's tank dies quick, I just wonder how it is now. He is a much more motviated fighter. Just look at the sherk fight. He was still going strong when he finished it.

    I do think GSP will out work him though. My feeling is, that either BJ catches him early , or GSP works a ud after outworking him late
    To BJ's credit, the Sherk fight was basically a boxing match. BJ has one of the best jabs in MMA, and he used it very well in that fight. However, that type of fight is not nearly as grueling as one that has many transitions from striking to grappling. I think GSP can keep a very high pace that Penn wont be able to maintain.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Mark Coleman released from the UFC
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 10:09 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
  3. IM EXCITED!!!!
    By 400runner in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in