Lets get this sh!t rolling

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is my training log for my upcoming events (not 100% sure when or where, but I will be ready). My hand is almost ready to go full-bore, but I am going to be cautious for the next week. This log will be almost identical to my log from the summer for my last fight. Weight will be updated every Monday starting next week, but I am on the fence about going to 160 for my next fight because I don't think there is enough time to get there in a healthy fashion. I will try for a scratch-weight of 165 and then go from there. If I had to guess where my weight is, then I would say ~185, but that is an inflated number.

12/22-Triceps/Delts, BJJ

Sleep-10 hrs
Energy-9
Meals-5 (4 serving produce)

Smith Close-Grip-225x10, 245x8, 255x5
Standing Military Press-125x12, 135x10
Lying Extensions/Seated Laterals-85x10, 95x10/35x15, 40x10
Pressdowns/Face-Pulls-180x12, 190x12, 200x10/3x140x15
Leaning Overhead Rope Ex-60x10

DC Stretches

Strength was much, much higher than I expected. I hit a PR on close-grip and had a solid M-M connection and pump. I really felt good throughout the entire session and my hand didn't have any trouble with grip and zero pain.

BJJ

I decided not to go into striking immediately and continue to work on my BJJ. I basically worked positions and sweeps instead of going for submissions. There were several places within each roll that I saw a sub, but I went with a catch and release method. The only submission I focused on applying was a triangle, which has always been a weak point in my game (damn thighs). I was able to land a couple of them, but I had to abandon a few and transition to an armbar. I wore handwraps and MMA sparring gloves while I was grappling and there is no pain as of this moment.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My supplements for this run are as follows:
Bulk P-Slin: 2x/day (breakfast, post-lifting)
BCAA: 15g post-lifting
WMS-80g ~15 mins after P-Slin
WPI-40g ~45 mins post-WMS
Geranium: 60mg ~45 minutes pre-training
1-C: 2g/day (800mg ~45mins pre-training, 1.2g before bed)
Chocamine-600mg ~45 mins pre-training

My diet is going to be very instinctual. Going to start at about 400g carbs/day and slowly work my way down to 300g. Protein will be about 200g and fat will be around 60-65g. I have always eaten a diet low in fats and it really is important for me to not feel sluggish at any point in the day. I probably consume about 35g (15g breakfast, 20g pre-bed) in 2 meals with a max of about 8g in the remaining meals.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/23-Back, BJJ

Sleep-10 hrs
Meals-5 (3.5 servings produce)
Energy-8

Lat Pulls-160x12, 170x10, 180x8, 190x6
DB Rows-110x12, 2x120x10
Reverse-Grip Pulldowns-2x150x10
Hypers/Hanging Leg-Lifts-3xBWx15/3x15

DC Stretches

I couldn't find my other strap, so I couldn't go as heavy as I am accustomed to. Had a decent pump, but it was a rather mundane session for me.

BJJ

My forearms and brachioradialis were fried before I even started to roll, but I managed to keep going despite the constant cramps. It took me a moment to get into my groove (I got caught in a few crappy subs by a purple that I usually dominate), but, once I hit it, my game was awesome. I was flowing from every position and put myself in bad positions to make myself work out of them. I got caught in a kimura from half-guard and an ankle lock at the beginning of the session. I got a D'Arce choke, ankle lock, armbar from mount, kneebar from half-guard, and a rolling armbar from back-mount all on 2 purple belts. I wore my MMA sparring gloves to get a better feel of grappling with a handle on my wrists. Also, for some reason, it made me see all of the opportunities in certain positions to use strikes to either advance my position or set up a submission.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In San Marcos, TX at Solidarity MMA. I go train my BJJ with Travis Tooke (BB under Carlos Gracie Jr.) 2-3x/month to expand my game.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/24-Cardio

Sleep-10 hrs
Meals-5 (4 servings produce)
Energy-8

I ran for about 43 minutes today, but I had to stop on multiple occasions. I don't have my legs under me yet and most of my runs are uphill. I felt pretty god, but my abs were really sore from training, which exacerbated my cardio. No pain in my hand from the past few days and I am starting to finally catch up on sleep from the semester. My diet is clean right now, but I haven't started any caloric deficit.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/26-Chest/Biceps, Cardio

Sleep-9 hours
Meals-6 (5 servings produce)
Energy-7

Dips-BW+70x8, 2xBW+90x6
Flat Flys/DB Curls-50x12, 2x55x10/40x12, 2x45x10
HS Incline Press-2x100x8
Cambered Curls-2x95x10
Incline Flys-2x50x12
Crossovers/Hammer Curls-50x12, 60x10/40x12, 45x10

DC Stretches

Huge pump from this session and I was absolutely drenched by the end. I struggled to keep up my usual pace during my lifting and I had to take a little extra rest between some sets. Strength was pretty solid and my shoulders/hand experienced zero pain.

Cardio

3 miles~19 minutes

I decided to do a brisk pace run, but nothing too extreme. At this point, I am really looking to re-establish my enzymatic levels and increase my hemoglobin back to my norms. I progressively picked up the pace as I went along and the last 1/4 mile was very intense.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I'll def. keep an eye on this. Sounds like a good program.

Good luck man.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I took the weekend off from training to give my achilles some time to rest since I battle tendinitis frequently. My body feels good and I am starting to hone in on the mental side of training/competing. Luckily, for me, it is almost like a switch that I can flip at any moment.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
You know Rodja, I've always wondered why you do bodybuilding style training rather than more explosive and functional strength training. Not knocking the BOdybuilding for what it does, but in your position, I'd figure you'd be better off without it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You know Rodja, I've always wondered why you do bodybuilding style training rather than more explosive and functional strength training. Not knocking the BOdybuilding for what it does, but in your position, I'd figure you'd be better off without it.
I have a day designated for power, but the other days are designed to increase overall strength. Cardio comes from training and all I get from lower-weight, high-rep training is less strength and muscle. I train as hard as I can everyday to prep not only my body, but also my mind to endure the pain of fighting.

IMO, crossfit type training is useless because there really is not a practical application to doing 135 lb deadlifts for 20 reps, pull-ups, etc. I have never had a problem with my cardio and I have gotten progressively stronger while staying the same weight, which is ideal for me. I believe it is because I train like this that I have a strength advantage over everyone that I have fought.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
haha. I wasn't necessarily suggesting crossfit to you, I just don't really see the point of stuff like tricep work if you are looking for better performance. And let's be realistic Rodja, you have a strength advantage over your opponents because you are a genetic freak. No matter what I did for training it wouldn't give me legs like yours. You could probably do pilates and get huge.

ANd while I'm not going to get into why I think crossfit is good, you'd be right that 20 rep 135lbs deadlifts would be fairly pointless. But when they are combined with Hang cleans, front squat and jerk press with the same bar for 5 rounds in a time trial setting, there's definitely a lot of benefits to it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha. I wasn't necessarily suggesting crossfit to you, I just don't really see the point of stuff like tricep work if you are looking for better performance. And let's be realistic Rodja, you have a strength advantage over your opponents because you are a genetic freak. No matter what I did for training it wouldn't give me legs like yours. You could probably do pilates and get huge.

ANd while I'm not going to get into why I think crossfit is good, you'd be right that 20 rep 135lbs deadlifts would be fairly pointless. But when they are combined with Hang cleans, front squat and jerk press with the same bar for 5 rounds in a time trial setting, there's definitely a lot of benefits to it.
Triceps are VERY important for not only punching power, but also to help control your opponent while on the ground. Every lift I do is in an explosive manner with a 2-3 second negative. The only time I ever feel muscle fatigue is when I have taken several months off from training and then go back into it at full speed.
Also, my style is very controlled and is not frantic. I am very efficient with my energy expenditure and focus on slowing my breathing while I am in training/fighting. I am an explosive kind of fighter and the key to fighting in this manner is to know when to pick your openings and shoot-in or throw an all-out strike.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/29-MMA

Sleep-9 hours
Meals -5 (5 servings produce)
Energy-6

Today was a very bipolar day for me. When I woke up, I was lethargic with no energy and didn't plan on going to practice, but then I got a call from a promoter about possibly being a late replacement for a fight on January 10th. I perked up at that moment and went straight to cooking meals for the couple of days. I didn't give a definitive yeah or nay because I wasn't too sure of my level of conditioning.

I went to practice and did my warm-ups with pummeling and clinch drills before I started to spar. My timing was slightly off and I couldn't quite put together my punch combinations, but my kicks were crisp and had a lot of snap on them. I struggled to find the seam with my left hand, but I was able to land a lead uppercut by stepping off-line. When I started to incorporate my take-downs, I was successful at about an 80% clip. Instead of focusing on my shot, I tried to incorporate takedowns from the clinch, but more of a Greco takedown than a judo takedown.

The major, major downer of the night was when I tried to catch a low-kick and it was a high kick, which hit me square in the jaw. I wasn't KO'd, but it dropped me and I decided to call it a night instead exacerbate the injury. I didn't have any dizziness or memory loss, but it was a flush shot and I was leaning into it as well.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried to catch a low kick for that reason...

The major, major downer of the night was when I tried to catch a low-kick and it was a high kick, which hit me square in the jaw. I wasn't KO'd, but it dropped me and I decided to call it a night instead exacerbate the injury. I didn't have any dizziness or memory loss, but it was a flush shot and I was leaning into it as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was offered a fight a few days ago, but I declined it based on a few reasons:
1. Horrible, horrible pay (200/200)
2. No travel re-imbursement
3. No hotel

The fight is in Arlington, TX (about 5 hours away) and would be on January 10th. The best part of this is that the guy I was supposed to fight sent me a message on my MySpace talking a ton of **** to me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will also soon be adding in my favorite NHA supplement of all-time, my beloved Activate Xtreme. Not only do I get some great, great strength gains and pumps from this, but it also gives me some nasty aggression. Not 100% sure when I will be adding this into the arsenal, but I will try to time it where I am still dosing it during a fight.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I was offered a fight a few days ago, but I declined it based on a few reasons:
1. Horrible, horrible pay (200/200)
2. No travel re-imbursement
3. No hotel

The fight is in Arlington, TX (about 5 hours away) and would be on January 10th. The best part of this is that the guy I was supposed to fight sent me a message on my MySpace talking a ton of **** to me.
Haha thats that XKO garbage they offered me a month back. 2 and 2 is so horribly pathetic, how do they expect to get anyone to fight for that ****. Its an insult.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha thats that XKO garbage they offered me a month back. 2 and 2 is so horribly pathetic, how do they expect to get anyone to fight for that ****. Its an insult.
Especially since I have made at least 500 to show since my second fight.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
You should try pro boxing too, pay's better even starting. It's just harder to get up the ranks with all the politics.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a thing of beauty

3 Activate Xtreme
1 Big Block RPM
2 Bulk P-Slin
1 30g of Forskolin
2 Napalm (1 is spiked)

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Please tell me how you take your bulk Forskolin... I have one of those but it's just HORRIBLE tasting! I tried mixing it with everything I could come up with, ranged from OJ, Grape Fruit, Protein Shake, Gatorade, heck, everything that has ever made its way to my fridge in a liquid form.

And I just could not stand it. My stomach would pretty much send the shipment back to the sender everytime I'd try to trick it with whatever liquid it was.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please tell me how you take your bulk Forskolin... I have one of those but it's just HORRIBLE tasting! I tried mixing it with everything I could come up with, ranged from OJ, Grape Fruit, Protein Shake, Gatorade, heck, everything that has ever made its way to my fridge in a liquid form.

And I just could not stand it. My stomach would pretty much send the shipment back to the sender everytime I'd try to trick it with whatever liquid it was.
I just parachute it.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I will also soon be adding in my favorite NHA supplement of all-time, my beloved Activate Xtreme. Not only do I get some great, great strength gains and pumps from this, but it also gives me some nasty aggression. Not 100% sure when I will be adding this into the arsenal, but I will try to time it where I am still dosing it during a fight.
Do you just follow the 1/1/1/1 dosing protocol? Apparently taking it with/without food doesn't matter at all.

Either way, that Big Block looks delicious.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you just follow the 1/1/1/1 dosing protocol? I've only been using it for a bit, but haven't noticed much. Apparently taking it with/without food doesn't matter at all.

Either way, that Big Block looks delicious.
Your age probably has something to do with it, but I dose it at 6/day. 2 with breakfast, 2 pre-WO, and 2 before bed. I notice the increase aggression within a week and after about 10-14 days, the combo of RPM and AX gives me an evil, almost scary, anger boost within 30-45 minutes after dosing.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I was afraid about that. I'll try bumping the dosages.

Youth is overrated.[/bitter]

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been a little behind on my updates as I have been making a small transition in my split, diet, and supplements. I have also been battling a minor erector strain for the past 10 days, so I haven't been able to really give it my all. Assuming everything goes well, Monday shall start the full recomp and training schedule. I will update with all of the details at that time.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
subbed..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been doing a lot of thinking about how to organize my split/supplementation. My training has been slightly inconsistent since I re-aggravated my erectors last week and it has left me unable to do any significant cardio. I think I am going to use the following routine for 6-8 weeks and re-assess:
Sunday-Power/Core, cardio (either conditioning drills or HIIT)
Monday-Cardio (distance/speed), MMA
Tuesday-Chest/Back, BJJ
Wednesday-Lower/Core, MMA
Thursday-Arms/Delts, MMA/BJJ
Friday-OFF
Saturday-BJJ/Sparring

This is very similar to my previous split; only the order of weights and cardio has really changed. My power day consists of speed deads, BP, and clean and press with the occassional SS of C/P with Pull-ups. Core training is usually SS with antagonistic movements (e.g Hanging Leg Raises with Hypers) and a high emphasis on trunk rotations/woodchoppers. My diet is going back to high carbs (500+g), moderate protein (200-225g) and low fat (~60g) along with BCAAs during/post-lifting. My strength numbers have been very stable with some slight improvements on my pulls, but my cardio is not even close to my normal levels. Supplements are as follows:

Bulk P-Slin-400mg 2x/day
1C-2g/day (800mg pre-WO, 1.2g before bed)
Activate X-6 caps/day (2 breakfast, 2 pre-WO, 2 before bed)
RPM-3 caps pre-WO
Napalm-2x/day (1 wk with clen, 1 wk w/o, 1 week off or Lipo-U)

I am going to save the Forskolin for an upcoming AA cycle to take advantage of the synergy between the 2 compounds.

bmacy168

bmacy168

Awards
i love reading your posts rodja. i would like to find out more about the supplements you use, due to the common problem of making weight we have. how many pounds do you drop in the last week before the fight?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i love reading your posts rodja. i would like to find out more about the supplements you use, due to the common problem of making weight we have. how many pounds do you drop in the last week before the fight?
Making weight is not a problem for me. For my last fight, I was able to drop from 187 on Monday and weighed in at 169 on Friday with only ~40 minutes spent in the sauna. I was able to eat about 4 oz of cantaloupe throughout Friday afternoon because I dropped the weight so quickly. The secret is to really, really water/salt load on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to prime the body to release water freely.

I have reached a comfortable weight and I stay roughly at 185 lbs even when not on my normal diet. Instead of dieting, I take the lifestyle approach towards eating, which allows me to stay within 3 lbs or so of my normal weight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1/18-Power/Core, HIIT

2 minutes warm-up (6 MPH)
6 Tabata Sprints (11 MPH@5% for 30 sec, 3.5 MPH@5% for 30 sec)
2 minute cool-down (3.5 MPH)

Clean and Press/Pull-ups-4x135x5/4xBWx3 (20 sec rest)
Flat BP-5x125x3 (15 sec rest)
Weighted Crunches/Trunk Rotations-3x120x30/3x12x70

10 minutes elliptical

I began the AX and RPM today and I was sweating my ass from the chocamine and felt relatively good during the sprints/circuits. I will incorporate dymaic DLs into my routine in the coming weeks and begin my plyo routine as well.

1/20-Chest/Back

Dips-BW+70x8, BW+90x6, BW+100x5
BB Rows-275x12, 295x10, 305x8
HS Incline Press-90x10, 100x8
Lat Pulldowns-180x10, 2x190x8
Flat Flys-50x12, 2x55x10
DB Rows-110x12, 120x10
HS Decline Press-90x12, 100x12
Reverse-Grip Pulldowns-2x160x10

DC Stretches

Amazing pump from this session even though I has to fight through a ton of fatigue. Good strength numbers on every lift, but I did not have the energy for cardio or striking training. Starting to feel a slight increase in aggression from the AX and RPM, but nothing like when it's in full affect. My weight today was at 186.5, so I am a couple of lbs higher than usual, but nothing of any concern. I have had great muscle fullness from the P-Slin and fantastic sleep from the 1-C, however I am not getting enough because of some visits from the GF.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Sub'd too. Where was this log when that guy w/ 3 months training experience in MA that was asking advice for his first professional fight? Lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sub'd too. Where was this log when that guy w/ 3 months training experience in MA that was asking advice for his first professional fight? Lol
This is not my first log.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to hear your critiques of crossfit. It seems like a lot of people are hoping on that bandwagon now a days. A lot of the dudes at my bjj school are on it and swear by it. I haven't done it myself, but have pondered it. What's your opinion?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd like to hear your critiques of crossfit. It seems like a lot of people are hoping on that bandwagon now a days. A lot of the dudes at my bjj school are on it and swear by it. I haven't done it myself, but have pondered it. What's your opinion?
Really don't feel like going into details, so refer to the red portion of my sig.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1/21-Legs, Cardio

Front Squats-185x5, 195x3
SLDL-3x225x6 (30 sec rest)
Unilateral LP-3x330x10
Walking DB Lunges-2x55x12

Cardio

15 minutes elliptical
15 minutes shadow boxing
1 mile run (~7 minutes)

By the end of this, which I broke into 2 sessions for time constraints, I was exhuasted, cramping, and starving. My vastus medialis was locking during the last 1/8th of a mile and slowed my down a bit, obviously. During shadow boxing, I practiced 2 combinations: 2, 5, shoot and 2, 3, LMK. After a few attempts, 1 thing became very, very clear: my fundamentals/footwork are off and I would get off-balance far too frequently. I am not going to be doing live sparring until I fix this and will focus on just mitts/heavy bag work.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
And I can only assume LMK stands for "low meat kick". But I've actually just started taking some kickboxing classes and it's become painfully obvious how little I actually know about fighting.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And I can only assume LMK stands for "low meat kick". But I've actually just started taking some kickboxing classes and it's become painfully obvious how little I actually know about fighting.
Left middle kick

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1/23-Arms/Delts, Cardio

HS Shoulder Press-110x10, 125x6
Side Laterals-40x12, 2x45x10
Rear Flys-130x12, 2x140x10
Smith Shrugs-315x12
Smith Close Grip-225x10, 245x8
Lying Extensions/Cambered Curls-2x95x8/2x95x10
Hammer Curls-45x12, 2x50x10
Pressdowns/Leaning Overhead Rope Extensions-160x15, 180x12/2x100x10
HS Preacher Curls-90x15, 115x10

DC Stretches

This was one of the better pumps I have had while not using 1T. Arms and delts were so full of blood and my strength was very high. Recovery between sets is improving and I am getting my cardio back very quickly, but I expected that because I am more aerobically inclined than most. My weight is up to 190 (somehow), but I am leaner than I was a week ago. I am letting my body adapt to the increased workload before I fully get back into my full split. No pain or nagging injuries at this point and my lower back feels fully healed.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I think you gotta start watching your muscle mass. Seems like you're the type that gains quick. Might be hard to lose muscle before a fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you gotta start watching your muscle mass. Seems like you're the type that gains quick. Might be hard to lose muscle before a fight.
Is that what your expert opinion is? Why don't you fight an MMA bout before you offer your uselss opinion. You have no idea about my fighting styling or genetics, so please stay away from my thread.