Gurgel Axed By UFC, Signs W/Strikeforce

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
- GURGEL AXED BY UFC, SIGNS WITH STRIKEFORCE - MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

Following his release from the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Jorge Gurgel wasted no time, promptly signing a new contract with Strikeforce. The promotion on Thursday announced the exclusive agreement with the seven-time UFC veteran and Ultimate Fighter alumnus on Thursday.

“I am excited. To me, this is like a new start. I’m coming in fresh. I’m re-motivated and excited to mix things up in Strikeforce,” said the 31-year-old Gurgel, a native of Brazil, who relocated to Cincinnati, Ohio a decade ago.

Gurgel was part of the fight of the night in his most recent Octagon appearance, sharing the honor – albeit in a losing effort – with Aaron Riley. The loss was the third in his last four appearances, however, so the UFC cut him loose.

Gurgel went toe-to-toe with Riley for the duration of their three-round bout. That's something he enjoys, but may not be the wisest approach if he finds himself in bouts with current Strikeforce standouts, such as lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I make some bad decisions because I have too much fun. I have never used my jiu-jitsu in the UFC,” he said. “All of my fights in the UFC have been slugfests. People always tell me after my fights that they know I can be one of the top contenders in my weight class. They ask me why I don’t use my jiu-jitsu. I have so much fun standing up and I completely think I’m winning all the time.”

“I’m going to do a lot of things differently in Strikeforce,” said Gurgel. “I will always bring the same intensity and I’m always going to fight 110 percent. I just want to be able to use everything that I know.”

The duration of Gurgel's contract was not released.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He's probably better off in Strikeforce anyway. I think Gurgel is better than his [UFC] record shows, but he seems to be bad about sticking to his game plan. If it weren't for TUF and Franklin, I'm not sure that he would have been in the UFC as long as he was.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He needs to actually use his BJJ skills instead of trying to be a striker. His talent is better than his record, but he may be best suited as a teacher.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know if it's his ego or it's that he's trying to please the crowd, but I definitely agree about him NOT being a striker.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
That took way longer than it should have. Maybe now that fight of the night money won;t be so high, he might actually use some BJJ.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
His BJJ is solid, but, for some dumbass reason, he does not use it during his fights.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Dude's a dumbass fighter. Either shitty gameplans or a reluctance to using them. Regardless, dumbass.

papa G

Awards
His bjj is legit (one of his blue belts) The reason he don't use his bjj is beyond most of us! Dustin (mclovin) is killin it in the ufc! Many gurgel fighters have done pretty good in bjj comps and MMA! IMPO I think he wants to KO someone to prove himself as an overall fighter. He could still tap my ass out!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Regardless, it's not K-1. There is a reason why ground tactics are allowed. He needs to use his JJ.