Penn GSP press conference yesterday in Hawaii

  1. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Penn GSP press conference yesterday in Hawaii


    for some reason i cant watch vids on youtube unless its hosted somewhere else.. this was the vid i found on yesterdays press conference.

    YouTube - BJ Penn press conference November 21, 2008

  2. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    ok nvm that was lame. haha
  3. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,407
    Rep Power
    956443
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    24.55%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I am so excited for this fight, and cannot decide who I think will win. Both are better than they were when they first met
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  5. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    man, he's pretty weak with the weights!
  6. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran
  7. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    im just spamming my own thread lol

    YouTube - Georges St. Pierre Talks B.J. Penn UFC 94
  8. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran
  9. Professional Member
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,060
    Rep Power
    4770
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    64.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    When is it? The 13th?
  10. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    When is it? The 13th?
    jan 31 2009
  11. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    I am so excited for this fight, and cannot decide who I think will win. Both are better than they were when they first met
    Neither can I. One thing that is building anticipation for me is the mutual respect these two have for each other. The fight is so big they don't even need to trash-talk.
  12. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    9.08%

    I'm Canadian but I can't see GSP winning over someone like BJ Penn.

    If Penn's mental and physical conditioning is done right, that guy's invincible.
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Well, he has already beaten him once, but I see your point. Just needed to throw that out there.

  14. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    476
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    94.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Neither can I. One thing that is building anticipation for me is the mutual respect these two have for each other. The fight is so big they don't even need to trash-talk.
    BJ has already started talking trash and has played the steroid card again. This is why I will enjoy watching him lose. Hes a great fighter, but GSP has advanced far more than Penn since their last bout.
  15. New Member
    elscotto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    175
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    55.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    BJ has already started talking trash and has played the steroid card again. This is why I will enjoy watching him lose. Hes a great fighter, but GSP has advanced far more than Penn since their last bout.
    Agreed,if gsp comes into this fight hungry and focused the only way penn can beat him is catch him with a lucky punch.i predict gsp giving an asswhoopin!
  16. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    physically gsp has a big advantage here.
  17. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by elscotto View Post
    Agreed,if gsp comes into this fight hungry and focused the only way penn can beat him is catch him with a lucky punch.i predict gsp giving an asswhoopin!
    BJ is my boy, but I think GSP has advanced further along. I hope BJ wins, but I'm guessing GSP. However, I wouldn't go as far as "asswhoopin."
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    I'm Canadian but I can't see GSP winning over someone like BJ Penn.

    If Penn's mental and physical conditioning is done right, that guy's invincible.
    I'm hoping your right, but......
    NSCA - CSCS
  19. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    9.08%

    Yeah I don't think either fighter can get their ass "whooped." Unless of course BJ lands a lucky bomb ala Matt Serra. I've never seen Penn KO'd either.

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    BJ is my boy, but I think GSP has advanced further along. I hope BJ wins, but I'm guessing GSP. However, I wouldn't go as far as "asswhoopin."
  20. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I think if you pick an underdog you have to say its Penn. I hope its a war! I think physically GSP might be too much for him but make no mistake Penn is a bangah!
  21. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    9.08%

    Penn might physically be smaller but I don't think there's any sizeable gap in the power department. GSP's hand speed is faster but Penn throws more bombs for sure.

    If BJ works on his takedown defense, it's going to be an awesome, awesome war. If he gets taken down by GSP's superior wrestling and ends up in the bottom; I don't see much chance of him getting out...BJJ black belt or not. I can almost see the quick TKO/ref stoppage.

    But..Fighters also always underestimate Penn's striking that's why they get KO'd. With BJ's power, GSP is going to be stunned by any bomb that connects. And we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned...
  22. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    604
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I got GSP winning it. Granted I cannot stand BJ Penn, but I think GSP is too explosive at 170 for BJ. I don't think GSP can KO BJ though, I don't think BJ can be KO'd. However I can see something similar to Hughes vs Penn where GSP gets on top of BJ into a strong position and beats him until the ref stops in via TKO. Either that or a decision going to GSP. I believe GSP's cardio will be much better than BJ.
  23. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    good points by both of you (ninja/flobot) i wonder what the betting odds will be/favorite on the day
  24. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    With BJ's power, GSP is going to be stunned by any bomb that connects. And we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned...
    You know they have fought before, right?

    Seriously though, BJ had GSP damaged in their first fight but never really stunned. I do not foresee that outcome. In terms of "we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned", I am not so sure. The Serra incident was unfortunate but, going back all the way to his TKO/UCC days, St.Pierre has never had a weak chin. There is really no evidence to suggest that other than that one fight, so, the BJ KO is not really a point of interest for me.
  25. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    476
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    94.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    good points by both of you (ninja/flobot) i wonder what the betting odds will be/favorite on the day
    Im sure GSP will be favored, but prob not by a whole lot. -150 or so I would assume.
  26. Senior Member
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,028
    Rep Power
    604
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    1.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    You know they have fought before, right?

    Seriously though, BJ had GSP damaged in their first fight but never really stunned. I do not foresee that outcome. In terms of "we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned", I am not so sure. The Serra incident was unfortunate but, going back all the way to his TKO/UCC days, St.Pierre has never had a weak chin. There is really no evidence to suggest that other than that one fight, so, the BJ KO is not really a point of interest for me.
    I'll try to leave out my bias against BJ, but the majority of the damage that BJ did to GSP was b/c hi clipped the tip of GSP's nose and also either scratched, poked, or cut him right around his eye (could have been a perfectly legal strike I don't know). GSP controlled round 2&3 without either guy really taking a lot of damage. BJ was tooling GSP in round 1 though, even I can't deny that.
    I'm really looking forward to this one.....but first UFC 92 is gonna be awesome!!
  27. New Member
    flobot's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    9.08%

    The way BJ dominated the first round in their first fight is why I choose BJ over GSP. BJ's not gonna be making the same mistake of slacking off/gassing after the first round. If he trains to his peak in this bout, I'm sure he'll win.

    IMHO, GSP is constantly great. He is always improving in tiny increments every fight and has the heart of a champion. If it was a line graph, I'd put BJ's line underneath him. However, I truly believe that BJ has so much more potential than GSP at both their peaks. (Ie. GSPs line would be a gradual hill while BJ can suddenly peak Above and Beyond GSP; as I said with the right training and mindset.)



    Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    I'll try to leave out my bias against BJ, but the majority of the damage that BJ did to GSP was b/c hi clipped the tip of GSP's nose and also either scratched, poked, or cut him right around his eye (could have been a perfectly legal strike I don't know). GSP controlled round 2&3 without either guy really taking a lot of damage. BJ was tooling GSP in round 1 though, even I can't deny that.
    I'm really looking forward to this one.....but first UFC 92 is gonna be awesome!!
  28. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    The way BJ dominated the first round in their first fight is why I choose BJ over GSP. BJ's not gonna be making the same mistake of slacking off/gassing after the first round. If he trains to his peak in this bout, I'm sure he'll win.

    IMHO, GSP is constantly great. He is always improving in tiny increments every fight and has the heart of a champion. If it was a line graph, I'd put BJ's line underneath him. However, I truly believe that BJ has so much more potential than GSP at both their peaks. (Ie. GSPs line would be a gradual hill while BJ can suddenly peak Above and Beyond GSP; as I said with the right training and mindset.)
    Possibly, but I have heard more about Penn's potential than I ever have about his actual ability; and people have putting forward this same argument about BJ for years.

    It similar to having two students in this same class: One an incredibly hard worker (GSP) and one an incredibly blessed natural genius (BJ). The natural genius may never appear in lecture, never read his course material, and never seek assistance, yet consistently get an 85 with ease. The hard worker, however, must strive for each of his grades, consistently push and devote himself to his craft, and as a result will consistently get a 90. Now, if the natural genius applied himself, he would easily best the hard worker based solely on his intellect - however, that is a massive if.

    BJ has always been a natural fighter, inherently skilled at MMA; however, that has also been one of his largest detriments. He has always had the mindset, "Why train for that extra 5% when I am 85% with absolutely no effort?" I think GSP is that much faster, that much stronger and that much more dedicated that he will overcome BJ's inherently greater skill set. I simply do not believe BJ Penn will ever have the constitution to dedicate himself enough to be consistently better than GSP - the fight will be razor close, but BJ will not win.
  29. Advanced Member
    robdog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    476
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    94.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Possibly, but I have heard more about Penn's potential than I ever have about his actual ability; and people have putting forward this same argument about BJ for years.

    It similar to having two students in this same class: One an incredibly hard worker (GSP) and one an incredibly blessed natural genius (BJ). The natural genius may never appear in lecture, never read his course material, and never seek assistance, yet consistently get an 85 with ease. The hard worker, however, must strive for each of his grades, consistently push and devote himself to his craft, and as a result will consistently get a 90. Now, if the natural genius applied himself, he would easily best the hard worker based solely on his intellect - however, that is a massive if.

    BJ has always been a natural fighter, inherently skilled at MMA; however, that has also been one of his largest detriments. He has always had the mindset, "Why train for that extra 5% when I am 85% with absolutely no effort?" I think GSP is that much faster, that much stronger and that much more dedicated that he will overcome BJ's inherently greater skill set. I simply do not believe BJ Penn will ever have the constitution to dedicate himself enough to be consistently better than GSP - the fight will be razor close, but BJ will not win.
    BJ may have been blessed with greater flexibility and an amazing ability to pick up BJJ, but GSP certainly has amazing natural ability as well. The way that he has improved his wrestling at such a pace and the fact that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling in the game is just as impressive as the rate at which Penn earned his blackbelt, (if not more impressive), IMO. Add to that the fact that his strength at WW is just as amazing as BJ's flexibility. But I do agree with you on all other accounts, his work ethic is certainly superior to BJ's.
  30. Advanced Member
    MrBrightside's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    525
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    50.53%

    BJ Penn sure does grunt a lot.
  31. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    BJ may have been blessed with greater flexibility and an amazing ability to pick up BJJ, but GSP certainly has amazing natural ability as well. The way that he has improved his wrestling at such a pace and the fact that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling in the game is just as impressive as the rate at which Penn earned his blackbelt, (if not more impressive), IMO. Add to that the fact that his strength at WW is just as amazing as BJ's flexibility. But I do agree with you on all other accounts, his work ethic is certainly superior to BJ's.
    I agree about GSP's strength but, I was alluding more to BJ's natural skill and strategic fighting ability in all aspects. GSP is a far superior athlete in every way shape and form, but BJ is simply a natural fighter; love him or hate him, there is no denying that. I still do not think that is enough to overcome GSP, but, I was more or less replying to Flobot's potential comments.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Smith Machine Behind Neck Press vs Dumbbell Press
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
  3. what do i put in for shipping to hawaii ?
    By robot80 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 04:06 PM
  4. Pictures from Hawaii
    By ReaperX in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
  5. Paris Hiltons Last Fan Upset At Press Conference
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in