Penn GSP press conference yesterday in Hawaii

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am so excited for this fight, and cannot decide who I think will win. Both are better than they were when they first met

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am so excited for this fight, and cannot decide who I think will win. Both are better than they were when they first met
Neither can I. One thing that is building anticipation for me is the mutual respect these two have for each other. The fight is so big they don't even need to trash-talk.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I'm Canadian but I can't see GSP winning over someone like BJ Penn.

If Penn's mental and physical conditioning is done right, that guy's invincible.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, he has already beaten him once, but I see your point. Just needed to throw that out there.

;)

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Neither can I. One thing that is building anticipation for me is the mutual respect these two have for each other. The fight is so big they don't even need to trash-talk.
BJ has already started talking trash and has played the steroid card again. This is why I will enjoy watching him lose. Hes a great fighter, but GSP has advanced far more than Penn since their last bout.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
BJ has already started talking trash and has played the steroid card again. This is why I will enjoy watching him lose. Hes a great fighter, but GSP has advanced far more than Penn since their last bout.
Agreed,if gsp comes into this fight hungry and focused the only way penn can beat him is catch him with a lucky punch.i predict gsp giving an asswhoopin!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed,if gsp comes into this fight hungry and focused the only way penn can beat him is catch him with a lucky punch.i predict gsp giving an asswhoopin!
BJ is my boy, but I think GSP has advanced further along. I hope BJ wins, but I'm guessing GSP. However, I wouldn't go as far as "asswhoopin."

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm Canadian but I can't see GSP winning over someone like BJ Penn.

If Penn's mental and physical conditioning is done right, that guy's invincible.
I'm hoping your right, but......

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't think either fighter can get their ass "whooped." Unless of course BJ lands a lucky bomb ala Matt Serra. I've never seen Penn KO'd either.

BJ is my boy, but I think GSP has advanced further along. I hope BJ wins, but I'm guessing GSP. However, I wouldn't go as far as "asswhoopin."

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think if you pick an underdog you have to say its Penn. I hope its a war! I think physically GSP might be too much for him but make no mistake Penn is a bangah!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Penn might physically be smaller but I don't think there's any sizeable gap in the power department. GSP's hand speed is faster but Penn throws more bombs for sure.

If BJ works on his takedown defense, it's going to be an awesome, awesome war. If he gets taken down by GSP's superior wrestling and ends up in the bottom; I don't see much chance of him getting out...BJJ black belt or not. I can almost see the quick TKO/ref stoppage.

But..Fighters also always underestimate Penn's striking that's why they get KO'd. With BJ's power, GSP is going to be stunned by any bomb that connects. And we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned...

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I got GSP winning it. Granted I cannot stand BJ Penn, but I think GSP is too explosive at 170 for BJ. I don't think GSP can KO BJ though, I don't think BJ can be KO'd. However I can see something similar to Hughes vs Penn where GSP gets on top of BJ into a strong position and beats him until the ref stops in via TKO. Either that or a decision going to GSP. I believe GSP's cardio will be much better than BJ.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
good points by both of you (ninja/flobot) i wonder what the betting odds will be/favorite on the day

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
With BJ's power, GSP is going to be stunned by any bomb that connects. And we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned...
You know they have fought before, right? :p

Seriously though, BJ had GSP damaged in their first fight but never really stunned. I do not foresee that outcome. In terms of "we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned", I am not so sure. The Serra incident was unfortunate but, going back all the way to his TKO/UCC days, St.Pierre has never had a weak chin. There is really no evidence to suggest that other than that one fight, so, the BJ KO is not really a point of interest for me.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
good points by both of you (ninja/flobot) i wonder what the betting odds will be/favorite on the day
Im sure GSP will be favored, but prob not by a whole lot. -150 or so I would assume.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
You know they have fought before, right? :p

Seriously though, BJ had GSP damaged in their first fight but never really stunned. I do not foresee that outcome. In terms of "we all know what happens when GSP gets stunned", I am not so sure. The Serra incident was unfortunate but, going back all the way to his TKO/UCC days, St.Pierre has never had a weak chin. There is really no evidence to suggest that other than that one fight, so, the BJ KO is not really a point of interest for me.
I'll try to leave out my bias against BJ, but the majority of the damage that BJ did to GSP was b/c hi clipped the tip of GSP's nose and also either scratched, poked, or cut him right around his eye (could have been a perfectly legal strike I don't know). GSP controlled round 2&3 without either guy really taking a lot of damage. BJ was tooling GSP in round 1 though, even I can't deny that.
I'm really looking forward to this one.....but first UFC 92 is gonna be awesome!!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
The way BJ dominated the first round in their first fight is why I choose BJ over GSP. BJ's not gonna be making the same mistake of slacking off/gassing after the first round. If he trains to his peak in this bout, I'm sure he'll win.

IMHO, GSP is constantly great. He is always improving in tiny increments every fight and has the heart of a champion. If it was a line graph, I'd put BJ's line underneath him. However, I truly believe that BJ has so much more potential than GSP at both their peaks. (Ie. GSPs line would be a gradual hill while BJ can suddenly peak Above and Beyond GSP; as I said with the right training and mindset.)

I'll try to leave out my bias against BJ, but the majority of the damage that BJ did to GSP was b/c hi clipped the tip of GSP's nose and also either scratched, poked, or cut him right around his eye (could have been a perfectly legal strike I don't know). GSP controlled round 2&3 without either guy really taking a lot of damage. BJ was tooling GSP in round 1 though, even I can't deny that.
I'm really looking forward to this one.....but first UFC 92 is gonna be awesome!!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The way BJ dominated the first round in their first fight is why I choose BJ over GSP. BJ's not gonna be making the same mistake of slacking off/gassing after the first round. If he trains to his peak in this bout, I'm sure he'll win.

IMHO, GSP is constantly great. He is always improving in tiny increments every fight and has the heart of a champion. If it was a line graph, I'd put BJ's line underneath him. However, I truly believe that BJ has so much more potential than GSP at both their peaks. (Ie. GSPs line would be a gradual hill while BJ can suddenly peak Above and Beyond GSP; as I said with the right training and mindset.)
Possibly, but I have heard more about Penn's potential than I ever have about his actual ability; and people have putting forward this same argument about BJ for years.

It similar to having two students in this same class: One an incredibly hard worker (GSP) and one an incredibly blessed natural genius (BJ). The natural genius may never appear in lecture, never read his course material, and never seek assistance, yet consistently get an 85 with ease. The hard worker, however, must strive for each of his grades, consistently push and devote himself to his craft, and as a result will consistently get a 90. Now, if the natural genius applied himself, he would easily best the hard worker based solely on his intellect - however, that is a massive if.

BJ has always been a natural fighter, inherently skilled at MMA; however, that has also been one of his largest detriments. He has always had the mindset, "Why train for that extra 5% when I am 85% with absolutely no effort?" I think GSP is that much faster, that much stronger and that much more dedicated that he will overcome BJ's inherently greater skill set. I simply do not believe BJ Penn will ever have the constitution to dedicate himself enough to be consistently better than GSP - the fight will be razor close, but BJ will not win.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Possibly, but I have heard more about Penn's potential than I ever have about his actual ability; and people have putting forward this same argument about BJ for years.

It similar to having two students in this same class: One an incredibly hard worker (GSP) and one an incredibly blessed natural genius (BJ). The natural genius may never appear in lecture, never read his course material, and never seek assistance, yet consistently get an 85 with ease. The hard worker, however, must strive for each of his grades, consistently push and devote himself to his craft, and as a result will consistently get a 90. Now, if the natural genius applied himself, he would easily best the hard worker based solely on his intellect - however, that is a massive if.

BJ has always been a natural fighter, inherently skilled at MMA; however, that has also been one of his largest detriments. He has always had the mindset, "Why train for that extra 5% when I am 85% with absolutely no effort?" I think GSP is that much faster, that much stronger and that much more dedicated that he will overcome BJ's inherently greater skill set. I simply do not believe BJ Penn will ever have the constitution to dedicate himself enough to be consistently better than GSP - the fight will be razor close, but BJ will not win.
BJ may have been blessed with greater flexibility and an amazing ability to pick up BJJ, but GSP certainly has amazing natural ability as well. The way that he has improved his wrestling at such a pace and the fact that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling in the game is just as impressive as the rate at which Penn earned his blackbelt, (if not more impressive), IMO. Add to that the fact that his strength at WW is just as amazing as BJ's flexibility. But I do agree with you on all other accounts, his work ethic is certainly superior to BJ's.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BJ may have been blessed with greater flexibility and an amazing ability to pick up BJJ, but GSP certainly has amazing natural ability as well. The way that he has improved his wrestling at such a pace and the fact that he has arguably the best MMA wrestling in the game is just as impressive as the rate at which Penn earned his blackbelt, (if not more impressive), IMO. Add to that the fact that his strength at WW is just as amazing as BJ's flexibility. But I do agree with you on all other accounts, his work ethic is certainly superior to BJ's.
I agree about GSP's strength but, I was alluding more to BJ's natural skill and strategic fighting ability in all aspects. GSP is a far superior athlete in every way shape and form, but BJ is simply a natural fighter; love him or hate him, there is no denying that. I still do not think that is enough to overcome GSP, but, I was more or less replying to Flobot's potential comments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JudgementDay MMA 1
Supplements 78
Jessep76 MMA 26
mytime09 MMA 141
jas123 MMA 5