F-U Dana White

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Wow. He's focusing a little too much on the entertainment aspect. I guess he got jealous of WWE's much greater revenue...

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
**** man, I like Jon Fitch.

Good for him to keep his integrity. Can't believe Dana White's acting like that; and I thought he was a pretty smart guy. (Smart as in smart like a fox.)

What's so smart about releasing a potential superstar that beat alves and sanchez? (and that didn't get KO/TKO/subbed by GSP?)

purelife1

good for them to stand up..but with so little choices out there to make money in this sport you hope its the right choice for them

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
corporate power at its finest.

enjoy.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well it is a business, and Dana made some business decisions. In the long run, those who stood up will suffer more than the UFC

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
well it is a business, and Dana made some business decisions. In the long run, those who stood up will suffer more than the UFC
Agreed.

A bitterly angry Dana White said Wednesday the Ultimate Fighting Championship has cut highly regarded welterweight contender Jon Fitch and is not going to do business with any fighters who are part of the American Kickboxing Academy team in San Jose, Calif.

The outspoken UFC president said shortly after landing in Hawaii on Wednesday that he no longer wants to work with AKA fighters or those represented by DeWayne Zinkin and Bob Cook.

White said he excepted AKA welterweight Mike Swick from that group because he said Swick called him and told him he wants to fight for the UFC. But Fitch and heavyweight Christian Wellisch were cut on Wednesday, and heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez and welterweight Josh Koscheck could be next.

"We're looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I'm just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it's not even funny," White said from Honolulu, where he flew Wednesday from Toronto to hold a news conference to announce the B.J. Penn-Georges St. Pierre fight for UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

"Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren't partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them."

Fitch said Wednesday the dispute was over his reluctance to sign a lifetime contract to allow his name and likeness to be used in a video game the UFC is planning with THQ. He said the dispute has nothing to do with money and that he never caused a problem during his time in the UFC.

He said he simply didn't understand the need to sign a lifetime contract, particularly since it would not pay his family in the event of his death.

"Working for free and selling our rights away for lifetime, that's a little different," said Fitch, who said he hasn't spoken with White but plans to call him. "We tried to negotiate five- or 10-year deals with them, but it wasn't good enough. It was all or nothing. He wanted our lifetime. He wanted our souls forever."

White said the AKA fighters "aren't partners with us" and said they don't understand what the UFC is trying to do for the sport. White said the UFC's current success was because of long hours he and partner Lorenzo Fertitta have put in trying to build the company and the sport of mixed martial arts.

White complained that he has to make frequent sacrifices in his personal life and is away from his family for long stretches because of his commitment to growing the UFC. He said the AKA fighters don't understand the things UFC management is trying to do and said they'll learn how tough things are in the poor economy.

"There are a lot of guys who help us and work with us and are great partners with us, and they're the ones we're going to remember and take care of," White said. "Do these guys understand what is going on in this world? I'll tell you, this economy is [expletive] up. It's totally [expletive] up. It's bad, real, real bad. The [television] networks are in trouble and don't have money. The sponsors are in trouble, and they have no money. If they don't have money, they go out of business.

"It's a whole other world out there, believe me, and let these guys go out there and see what they find."

White said he took great care of Fitch and said with bonuses and purse, Fitch made $169,000 for his welterweight title fight loss to St. Pierre at UFC 87 in Minneapolis in August. Fitch (17-3 with 1 no-contest) did not dispute that salary figure. He said the UFC "has taken care of me and you've never heard me complain about money. This is a respect thing."

Fitch said he thought there should room to negotiate on these contracts but said the UFC would not budge.

He said he understood it was highly unlikely that another company would want to put him in a video game but said it was only reasonable that he not tie his rights up for life.

White said he flew to San Jose in the summer to talk with the AKA fighters, but Fitch said the discussion was about a merchandising agreement.

"He wanted us to sign that merchandising agreement, and it was not a very good agreement," Fitch said. "There was not really a reason for us to sign it. The first thing they brought to us was for us to sign all of our rights away for everything forever. It was for very small compensation, and there was no compensation for family members if we were to die.

"We could die and they could make memorial figurines and stuff and make thousands, millions of dollars, and our families wouldn't see a penny of it. The way they bring the contracts and stuff to us, I don't know, it's just not how business is done."

Zinkin also represents UFC light heavyweight Chuck Liddell, though Liddell does not fight for AKA. White said he has been "beefing with Zinkin for years" and said he had to call Liddell, one of his closest friends, and tell him to get Zinkin to back off.

According to White, Liddell said Zinkin represented him on sponsorships and he would negotiate his own deals with the UFC.

Fitch said he has been a loyal UFC employee and said, "I'd only like a little bit of respect for the blood I shed for this company."

White said he has sacrificed more than anyone to build the UFC into the powerhouse it has become and that he's tired of athletes who don't want to "get with the program."

Velasquez, one of the sport's rising stars, clearly is on the outs with White. White said Zinkin wanted standard language that is part of every UFC fighter's contract removed from Velasquez's deal.

"Can you believe that?" White said. "Chuck Liddell has that language in his contract. Randy Couture has it. Anderson Silva has it. And Cain [expletive] Velasquez, with two [expletive] fights, wants us to change it for him? That's [expletive] nuts. He can get the [expletive] out.

"I'm not a douche bag and I do a lot for these guys, a lot more than any of you will ever know. We're in a horrible time in the economy now, and every guy with two nickels to rub together is making a run at us. We've worked too hard, given too much, to let certain guys come in and [expletive] with that."

Fitch said he's not trying to mess with anything and that he simply wants to fight. He said he always has been respectful in all his dealings with the UFC and said he can't understand the position he finds himself in without ever having spoken to White.

He plans to call White to discuss the situation but wasn't sure what move to make.

"I'm more than willing to work with them, but I don't see why we have to give up our whole lives for this," Fitch said. "Why not a time limit? If we did a 10-year deal with them, is that that unreasonable? I don't understand how this happened, honestly. It's tough."

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that was cold @$$ blooded. Dana could have ran a mafia with his stern and unyielding business sense. Fitch was a good fighter, what a shame.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate Dana White. I believe UFC fighters receive approximately 5% of the revenue the UFC receives. By comparison, players in the professional leagues for Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Football and so forth receive about 45-55%.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont disagree that there is a huge financial disparity, especially when compared to boxing for example. However, as mentioned before this is a business, and no one forces them into the cage. I feel bad in essence, I like Fitch, however, what the boss says, sadly one must comply or look for employment elsewhere

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate Dana White. I believe UFC fighters receive approximately 5% of the revenue the UFC receives. By comparison, players in the professional leagues for Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Football and so forth receive about 45-55%.
To play devil's advocate, because I agree that 5% is highway rapery, but the MLH, MLB and NFL have to climb through a more extensive set of ranks and pools of talent to get that financial value. 5% is still sandpaper rape, but I don't know if MMA'ist are "yet," at the same competitive pool as the other major sports. You can still "get into" MMA without having been competitive since Jr or High school and on through a very filtering college ranks.

Nonetheless, 5% is still dry rape with 0% humidity.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To play devil's advocate, because I agree that 5% is highway rapery, but the MLH, MLB and NFL have to climb through a more extensive set of ranks and pools of talent to get that financial value. 5% is still sandpaper rape, but I don't know if MMA'ist are "yet," at the same competitive pool as the other major sports. You can still "get into" MMA without having been competitive since Jr or High school and on through a very filtering college ranks.

Nonetheless, 5% is still dry rape with 0% humidity.
That is a good point, and an angle I had not considered. I suppose I was only considering it from the end-point level of athleticism and skill involved, and positing that the wages allotted were not proportionate. When you consider that other leagues have constituents thereof that train SPECIFICALLY for that league for upwards of 15 years, some disparity may be warranted. However, 5% is first blow-drying the anus, then gluing sandpaper to a baseball bat, rubbing actual sand on the perimeter, and commencing to rape to the beat of Jingle Bells.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dana White is just a pimp and all the UFC fighters are the hoes. I don't like Dana and in his interviews he seems smug. Like some ppl on the forum but in the end no matter how big and tough these fighters are they don't think things through and the business man will always prevail. They gotta have things like this in their contracts to prevent this kind of stuff from happening like back in the day when Charles Barkley wouldn't allow his name on the NBA videos games. The NBA couldn't kick him out. The fighters are more worried about getting in the ring and fighting than they are financial security or longevity of their careers. If fighting is going to be your profession. Treat it like a profession and don't be a dumb jock and say " i do it for the passion". Cuz passion and feelings will just get you screwed in the end.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
It's absurd. White is trying to garner a monopoly on the sport and he treats the fighters like their his pawns. He basically owns them. If he acts as unprofessional towards the fighters as he sounds in his interviews then there is a problem. I don't see how a business man (even in MMA) can drop the kind of language he does on such a consistent basis.

I think the fighters are underpaid compared to the amount of work that they put into the sport and considering it costs $45 to watch most of their events at home. It's a shame the disparity in pay among the fighters.

It's understandable that business decisions need to be made, but they should be made with good ethics in mind. The fact that Fitch was fired over a stupid video game is incredible.

White could have just left him out of the stupid video game instead. He seems very unstable to me - maybe he should take a vacation.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
What I find still incredible is how good MMA fighters are still getting nothing compared to boxers.

For eg. Manny Pacquiao is getting 20M for his fight w/ delahoya +% of gate and PPV.

With that salary, Pacman can actually buy a small chunk of the UFC LOL.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is a good point, and an angle I had not considered. I suppose I was only considering it from the end-point level of athleticism and skill involved, and positing that the wages allotted were not proportionate. When you consider that other leagues have constituents thereof that train SPECIFICALLY for that league for upwards of 15 years, some disparity may be warranted. However, 5% is first blow-drying the anus, then gluing sandpaper to a baseball bat, rubbing actual sand on the perimeter, and commencing to rape to the beat of Jingle Bells.
This post is just ****ing ridiculous!!!

Everybody knows that this routine is usually performed to Deck the Halls, not Jingle Bells! :lol:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This post is just ****ing ridiculous!!!

Everybody knows that this routine is usually performed to Deck the Halls, not Jingle Bells! :lol:
I tell you what, my Balls would not be Holly after that!

Kegger

Awards
How can a trailer park trash scumbag like Dana White continue to run this company the way he does? This guy's mouth and business ethics are completely unbelievable. Who would want to sign their entire life away? Fitch is completely justified in not wanting to sign his rights away for the rest of his life. Nobody should be strong-armed and forced into that. Dana is such a dirty P.O.S. if there is any contract dispute and Dr. Evil doesn't get his way, then he threatens to cut the fighter and say "good luck getting a job somewhere else". That, my friends, is not how a PARTNERSHIP works. There needs to be something gained for both parties involved. Dana knows that his business is the 800 lbs. gorilla and he consistently uses that as leverage over all his fighters to strong-arm them into submission.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
This is actually one of those times that people stood up for what's right and won, good job Fitch and company!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081123-ufc-to-fighters-be-in-our-videogames-or-you-dont-fight.html

Sports-themed video games are huge moneymakers for publishers, but using the likeness of a professional athlete in these games is proving to be an increasingly contentious undertaking. The upcoming UFC Undisputed 2009 serves as the most recent example of this, as reports surfaced yesterday that popular fighters Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck were on the outs with the Ultimate Fighting Championship organization. The reason? They were being asked to sign away their likeness rights for life. For Fitch, the disagreement has become so intense that he had already been cut by the company.

Fitch was let go by the organization earlier this week because he had refused to sign a lifetime contract that would have given the game publisher THQ the right to use his likeness for UFC games. The presentation of the contract rubbed him the wrong way, according to an interview he did with Hardcore Sports Radio: "They basically kicked the door open, guns blazing, pointed it in our face and said, 'Sign this or you're going to pay.'" The contract also wouldn't have given his family payments for the use of his likeness in the event of his death.

UFC President Dana White took Fitch's hesitancy personally and cut Fitch from the organization's roster rather than entering negotiations regarding the specifics of the contract. When asked about the move by MMAJunkie, White's temper seemed to get the better of him: "Let [Fitch] go work with [Affliction]. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren't partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them." Despite the anger, White's position was clear: UFC was in the business of promoting fighters, and if the fighters didn't like how that was handled, they knew where to find the door.

However, less than 24 hours later, Fitch was back with the UFC and has signed a contract that will allow his likeness to appear in UFC Undisputed 2009. Whether the deal Fitch ultimately agreed to was different from the original contract isn't clear.

This isn't the only recent case involving the rights of professional athletes that appear in sports-themed video games. Earlier this month, a group of retired NFL players won a $28 million judgment against the NFL Players Association, which had allowed their likenesses to be used in Madden football games without appropriate compensation. While the NFLPA announced that it would appealing the verdict, there is serious doubt that the 9th Circuit Court will overturn the decision, as some rather incriminating e-mails demonstrated that the retired players' likenesses were intentionally scrambled so the publisher could avoid paying higher licensing fees.

While Fitch's position with the UFC seems to have been resolved, fellow fighter Josh Koscheck's future with the organization remains uncertain. He's going through with a scheduled fight with Yoshiyuki Yoshida, and isn't allowing himself to be distracted by the contract. "I'll let my people deal with that and I'll deal with it after my fight," he told MMAFighting.com. "I don't want to have any distractions in my preparation. I'm three weeks away from this fight and I haven't read anything on the Internet, I've stayed away from all it."

One thing that is certain: the rights of athletes when it comes to their appearance in video games doesn't seem like an issue that will be resolved any time soon. UFC fighters are not paid nearly as well as other professional athletes, and their health is in very real danger every time they step into the octagon. The trouble is they have no bargaining power; they have to be ready to give up certain things if they want the UFC to make them a star. If they decline these potentially one-sided deals, there are hundreds of other fighters ready to take their place.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Dana White has done a TON for this sport and for that I thank him.....however he really needs to have a level head. He acts like a spoiled bully when he doesn't get his way. He has gotten way to egotistical and takes things too personally. Hopefully Lorenzo can keep things on track.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
They have a monopoly and want to keep it that way...

Fitch is awesome. I think if he were to fight GSP again we would have a different outcome. His issue was inexperience vs. GSP who has had more "show fights" and I think the nerves got to Fitch.