BJJ Log

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
This is just a personal log so I don't forget what I learned (or supposed to have learned) during a BJJ class.

Just started rolling again tonight.

Lessons: (BJJ fundamentals tonight.)
-Review of basic cross choke while opponent is in my guard.

-Situation: Opponent has double underhook on you and you only have half-guard.
What I learned: Scoot out, push opposite leg and place left leg (If I have his right leg in half-guard,)in butterfly; sit up and put right leg in.

-Drilled being in half-guard. (Pass or Sweep.)

No sparring tonight because it's 'fundamentals' night.

Bought a Reevo gi because it was the cheapest.

Next time is Saturday. Must stretch longer. Almost cramped up several times; ****ing energy drink.

Supplements taken:
Monster energy drink (1 hr. before on an almost empty stomach) - I never learn....

6.6g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine after.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Went again tonight, couldn't wait till Saturday...

Wish I didn't..entered an intermiediate class w/ black belt teaching.

Lessons today:
Arm triangle from sidemount
Arm triangle from sprawl (roll)
Arm triangle sit-down
Arm triangle from sidemount variation using gi to choke
Arm triangle variation like above if no-gi

Rolled against 3 guys. My cardio for BJJ is seriouly ****ed up. I forgot how tiring it was compared to MT or boxing. Wayyyyyyyy ****ing different kind of tired. Like a hard shift in hockey...

Must improve cardio...Cut down on SMOKING CIGS nd POT.

Supplements taken:
Pre-3.3g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine
Post-3.3g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
Went again tonight, couldn't wait till Saturday...

Wish I didn't..entered an intermiediate class w/ black belt teaching.

Lessons today:
Arm triangle from sidemount
Arm triangle from sprawl (roll)
Arm triangle sit-down
Arm triangle from sidemount variation using gi to choke
Arm triangle variation like above if no-gi

Rolled against 3 guys. My cardio for BJJ is seriouly ****ed up. I forgot how tiring it was compared to MT or boxing. Wayyyyyyyy ****ing different kind of tired. Like a hard shift in hockey...

Must improve cardio...Cut down on SMOKING CIGS nd POT.

Supplements taken:
Pre-3.3g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine
Post-3.3g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine

ok first off quite smoking i tried to do both and trust me u cant and as for pot if eddie bravo can then i spose u can :icon_lol: and bjj is ver technical so it might take awhile to pick up so have patients

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I did enough before to barely reach blue belt then quit. Now I'm back and despite some of my skills being there my cardio is TERRIBLE.
@Elscotto: Yeah! I heard that's how he got so 'creative' w/ his Twister hehehehe The problem is weed is easy to quit, smoking's not.

BTW, I do not dare wear a blue belt just coming back into BJJ. Even a 4 striped white belt tires me out. ****kkkkkkkkkkk my cardio.

Do you guys know how to increase Cardio specifically for BJJ? I have awesome cardio when I"m just playing striking but it's literally CRAP when I roll.
How long you been at it?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
For me, the only type of cardio that helps me out in BJJ is HIIT like cardio. If you think about it, it makes sense. BJJ is very passive then explosive then passive again. I have also had a lot of success with circuit weight training to help out in BJJ cardio.

I reached blue this summer, but I got injured and have been injured. So, now I go like once a week because I'm trying to nurse my injury. Even when I go, I roll light with most of the younger more inexperienced dudes.

If you wanted to go supplement route, you could try out Cordygen 5 or Cordygen VO2 by MST. I liked those.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tips! Does NO pills do anything for BJJ cardio?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I don't know. I've never tried it. You might ask Rodja, he seems to be well versed on supplements and MMA.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mat time is the only way to increase your grappling cardio. That and learning how to relax and pace your breathing.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Mat time..Yeah..I wanted to go tonight but I don't think my body can take 3 nights in a row..The will is there but I'm just sore all over. Planning to rest and heal up a little and go back Saturday. My right rotator cuff is starting to get ****ed up.

It's funny too how I look beat up w/ burns all over my face from over eager sparring opponents. This is what I hate most about gi-grappling..But I Do want to learn BJJ for self-defense in the streets too so I gotta just toughen up.

BTW, does anybody know how Lloyd Irvin got his Black Belt in BJJ in 3 1/2 years? That's insane. Is he That talented or Tricky?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Who knows, look him up on youtube see how he does in competition.

I can't stand crasy intense partners. Most of them tend to be the wrestlers who are just cracked out all the time. They are more about winning each roll than about really perfecting technique.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Exactly!
When I get my cardio back I'm gonna crush that white belt punk. Kinda sucks the feeling to not submit a white belt (though he was very near promotion.)

To give you more details: We started rolling and he lay on his ass and wanted me to enter his guard; I thought why the heck not, my guard pass is rusty so I did. I think that guy tried every submission in the book, scratching and burning my neck and face and arms in the process but my cardio was still up so I was fine (But I was starting to tire,) He went for a triangle. I stacked him, went to the side in a C to break it and went in his half-guard. At this point I was tired already and he got me back in guard. He did an awesome sweep that made me end up in a half-guard. I went for a knee bar but had no breath/strength left to finish it.

At that point I was practically DONE. I was trying to suck in enough air and thinking to myself "This ****ing sucks..I Know how to beat this guy but I don't have anything left.." So much for my high VO2 max number...It didn't help w/ grappling at all not like it does doing MT or boxing or any striking for that matter.

SO my ultimate goal for now is to build up mat time and hence BJJ-specific cardio. I've learned that to win in a striking match all I had to do was to outlast my opponent. Now I've to re-learn how to outlast people in a BJJ setting.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Wanted to teach the punk a lesson but I had no cardio hence strength left to pull hard enough.

Watched a video from Ryan Hall last night explaining a triangle variation he calls a shin smash.

Posting it here so I don't forget.

Steps:
-Threaten cross-choke by placing hand deep into collar
-Grab behind elbow on same side. (Eg. When your right hand is on the right side of his neck deep, grab his right arm behind the elbow/tricep.)
-Open guard, place right shin over his left arm to disrupt balance.
-Swivel right leg from the knee above his neck and pull your ankle down. Lock the triangle w/ your left leg.
-Pull head down.

The most impt. part of this is the shin smash into his left arm to disrupt balance and make it easy for you to swing your right leg over his neck.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Went today, no new techniques taught. The sensei who's also a black belt instructor in FMA from Paul Vunak, taught some knife patterns (left, right, and both hands.)

Rolled w/ a white belt, then a blue belt, then a purple belt after that.

Starting to learn how to control my breathing during grappling and move explosively instead of being constantly moving w/ full strength.

I love rolling w/ blue and purple belts since it's like more of a learning process utilizing pure technique. Rolling w/ white belts is like a strength match-but it's good for cardio practice since I'm learning to pace myself again and tire out the opponent.

Supplements:
200mg caffeine before and 3.3g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine after. (With a meal.)

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I only try to roll with upper belts. Any time I get a shot at the black belt I'm happy.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
I only try to roll with upper belts. Any time I get a shot at the black belt I'm happy.

im with u on that one dude, remember ur only as good as who u wrastle hahahahahha but its fun to try new stuff on noobs. and another thing for flobot its rather anoying when u first start bjj and ur really sore all the time but u want to keep going and going, but it takes time for ur body to get used to so eat as much good food as possible and just pace urself until ur body is ready for constant training all week :thumbsup:

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm not in so much pain today as the last time I went hehehe. It's all about stretching your glutes till you feel like they're gonna burst hahahaha

im with u on that one dude, remember ur only as good as who u wrastle hahahahahha but its fun to try new stuff on noobs. and another thing for flobot its rather anoying when u first start bjj and ur really sore all the time but u want to keep going and going, but it takes time for ur body to get used to so eat as much good food as possible and just pace urself until ur body is ready for constant training all week :thumbsup:

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Tonight was fundamentals night again.

Pre: Energy drink (small,) 3.3g BCAAs

Reviewed today:
-Knee on Belly gi/no-gi baseball grip choke
-Knee on Belly to North-South baseball grip choke

-Sweep from half-butterfly. Underhook/Overhook. Remember to create space w/ hips and control other arm too. Roll on space created by hips.
-Sweep from full butterfly. Remember to put his weight right on top of you so he becomes 'light.'

Sparred only once today w/ a 3 stripe white belt. Got swept once (remember to resist when necessary.), escaped mount, passed open guard, got side mount. Very good sparring today because I was totally relaxed and thinking while I can hear him panting. My only mistake was to not resist enough for a sweep. Remember to have a good balance between pacing and resistance.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Techniques today:
De La Riva guard & variations, including sweeps. De La Riva guard is a modified half-butterfly/open guard w/ your hand grabbing his ankle on the same side you have a hook on. Many offensive options esp. when opponent starts trying to pass or pull out.

Rolled w/ a blue belt twice. Lost one (choke) and won one (points...)

Really getting it again now. It's all starting to come back. Whatever I learned before I keep remembering whenever I roll w/ higher belts.

Supps: Before: Heavy fast-food chinese take out + monster energy drink.

After: 3.3g BCAA and 3.5g glutamine.

Damage: More mat burn on the feet gr.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Half-butterfly guard is the most useless position. Anyone with a decent wrestling base will have in side-mount within seconds.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I sort of think so too. With no gi I don't think it's a very viable or practical position.
Half-butterfly guard is the most useless position. Anyone with a decent wrestling base will have in side-mount within seconds.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Ive never really understood the reasoning of learning gi bjj for applicable purposes. The same goes for gi judo. Unless one just wants to learn for sheer recreation, no gi is a much more viable option. When are you going to have your gi on in a real confrontation? Its a lot harder to lock up a sub/throw when someone is sweaty and you dont have your gi for grip. Plus those ****ing things give me burns on my head.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Gi training's good to simulate a person's jacket for example. Or his hoodie. Or his jeans.

No gi training is good for summer time self-defense when everybody's wearing t-shirts. What about the other times?

People don't go strolling around in their boardshorts and rash guards all year long hehehe.

I'm w/ you on the burning though but this cheap gi (Reevo) I bought is actually decent. Don't have too many burns on my neck.

But that might be because I try to avoid rolling w/ other white belts who think every rolling session is life or death for their egos and scratch and burn you to kingdom come lol.

BTW robdog, I haven't had to use BJJ in real-life self-defense. I just pull out a knife and hope the other guy(s) don't have a gun lol (And I'm blessed so far not to have a gun pulled over my knife... So all I said above is just conjecture. Though I still don't think grappling w/ just boardshorts and rashguard on is realistic either.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
It's best to learn the fundamentals with the Gi first, before going to NoGi. You'll be better than any dude with the same amount of time in with No Gi. It's how it was meant to be taught, so why not?
Fundamentals are fundamentals, and most of them apply to both excluding lapel chokes and grips, but the control/framing is the same regardless of the grip.

I think the only documented case of a smoker having any cardio worth a damn is Kazushi Sakuraba. ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have never rolled with a gi on. I am never comfortable in them and much prefer to grapple with just fight shorts and a rashguard/wife-beater.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Gi training's good to simulate a person's jacket for example. Or his hoodie. Or his jeans.

No gi training is good for summer time self-defense when everybody's wearing t-shirts. What about the other times?

People don't go strolling around in their boardshorts and rash guards all year long hehehe.

I'm w/ you on the burning though but this cheap gi (Reevo) I bought is actually decent. Don't have too many burns on my neck.

But that might be because I try to avoid rolling w/ other white belts who think every rolling session is life or death for their egos and scratch and burn you to kingdom come lol.

BTW robdog, I haven't had to use BJJ in real-life self-defense. I just pull out a knife and hope the other guy(s) don't have a gun lol (And I'm blessed so far not to have a gun pulled over my knife... So all I said above is just conjecture. Though I still don't think grappling w/ just boardshorts and rashguard on is realistic either.
In Texas it is realistic.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I love Saku hehehe

...also...Does Texas have seasons? Like winter? I honestly don't know because it's way down there hehehe.
I think the only documented case of a smoker having any cardio worth a damn is Kazushi Sakuraba. ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love Saku hehehe

...also...Does Texas have seasons? Like winter? I honestly don't know because it's way down there hehehe.
The panhandle does, but in Central TX (where I live), there is a 2 week cold snap and then more of fall-like temp. Then it's F'ing hot for the rest of the year.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. I came from the Philippines you know so I ABHOR cold weather lol.

Edit: I guess in that case no-gi is sensible training as long as you keep a shirt/ rashguard on. I'm actually in the camp that MMA training is good for self-defense over any other art. I say this cuz I've come across a lot of people claiming that things like Krav Maga will keep you alive more. If you can be an instructor in a month or so in an art ala Krav Maga, I don't wanna learn it because mastery at so short a time is BS.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
very interesting thread flobot.subbed!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Tonight was no-gi for some reason.

Techniques tonight:
-Triangle from the guard from a failed "bump" sweep.

Bump Sweep-Used when opponent postures up with none of his hands on your chest. You open guard, sit up and twist to one side (Eg. right side) and bump your hips into him while your right hand is posted behind you. The opponent has to post out with his left arm to keep his balance. You grab that posting hand w/ both yours and complete the sweep. The counter is to hug you and press you straight down back into the floor. (This is where you take the overhook.)

*Overhook right arm, place left leg high over his back/neck w/ your foot just over his left shoulder (or on his back if you're lacking flexibility,) keep right leg tight on his body w/ your foot on his left hip. Wrist control his left arm.

*BREAK HIS BALANCE (IMPT) and pull your right leg out and over his neck and lock your legs.

*Angle to the side so as you're not Square w/ him and finish the triangle by pulling on his head or you can lock any of his arms.

Just drilled this over and over tonight, first w/o then w/ resistance; with the person on top trying to pass. (And you trying to complete the triangle.)

My mistakes from the top: Not Much. Do not ever let him get his right leg out.

My mistakes from the bottom: Thinking too much of getting my right leg out when I should be breaking his posture CONSTANTLY and just waiting for the right time to triangle.

Note to self: Do Not Force the Triangle. If it doesn't work, look for something else or close your guard again to get a few secs. to think.

Supplements:

Pre - Big chinese "combo" meal w/ fried rice, ginger beef and honey chicken. Hahaha...+monster assault energy drink. +Six Star(Walmart) NO pills.

Post - 11.5g BCAAs, 3.5g Glutamine

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Tonight was no-gi for some reason.

Techniques tonight:
-Triangle from the guard from a failed "bump" sweep.

*Overhook right arm, place left leg high over his back/neck w/ your foot just over his left shoulder (or on his back if you're lacking flexibility,) keep right leg tight on his body w/ your foot on his left hip. Wrist control his left arm.

*BREAK HIS BALANCE (IMPT) and pull your right leg out and over his neck and lock your legs.

*Angle to the side so as you're not Square w/ him and finish the triangle by pulling on his head or you can lock any of his arms.

Just drilled this over and over tonight, first w/o then w/ resistance; with the person on top trying to pass. (And you trying to complete the triangle.)

My mistakes from the top: Not Much. Do not ever let him get his right leg out.

My mistakes from the bottom: Thinking too much of getting my right leg out when I should be breaking his posture CONSTANTLY and just waiting for the right time to triangle.

Note to self: Do Not Force the Triangle. If it doesn't work, look for something else or close your guard again to get a few secs. to think.

Supplements:

Pre - Big chinese "combo" meal w/ fried rice, ginger beef and honey chicken. Hahaha...+monster assault energy drink. +Six Star(Walmart) NO pills.

Post - 11.5g BCAAs, 3.5g Glutamine
thats badass man!:bruce1:

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man! I'm trying to remember Everything so it's not a waste of money hehehe.

The points I wrote were actually what I remember/think I remember ad verbatem from the instructor lol.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Fundamentals night again tonight.

Drills:
-Hip movement to armbar from guard (left/right)
*Break his balance with the leg on his torso to make it easier for your other leg to swing over his head.

Technique:
-Knee inside guard pass. In his guard with your arms on his sleeves or his biceps, move forward and stand up (instead of just forcing to stand up..) Step back with either foot and let go of his arm on that side (He can't reach you.) Step in again w/ that leg with your knee as close as you can to yourself and into the hole in his guard.

*Lift butt up instead of forcing his guard open w/ your knee. People w/ short legs can't even keep the guard closed when you do this. It also helps create space to put your knee through. By this time if he doesn't open his closed guard it'll be open.

Follow up: Keep controlling one arm, drive knee into mat, control his head w/ other hand to distract (while driving your shoulder on his head). Shift grip from arm to leg and slip your other leg out into either a mount or a cross mount.

No sparring today. Damn.

Supplements:

Pre - None (forgot to take anything..)
Post - 11.5g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine, DINNER.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Fundamentals night again tonight.

Drills:
-Hip movement to armbar from guard (left/right)
*Break his balance with the leg on his torso to make it easier for your other leg to swing over his head.

Technique:
-Knee inside guard pass. In his guard with your arms on his sleeves or his biceps, move forward and stand up (instead of just forcing to stand up..) Step back with either foot and let go of his arm on that side (He can't reach you.) Step in again w/ that leg with your knee as close as you can to yourself and into the hole in his guard.

*Lift butt up instead of forcing his guard open w/ your knee. People w/ short legs can't even keep the guard closed when you do this. It also helps create space to put your knee through. By this time if he doesn't open his closed guard it'll be open.

Follow up: Keep controlling one arm, drive knee into mat, control his head w/ other hand to distract. Shift grip from arm to leg and slip your other leg out into either a mount or a cross mount.

No sparring today. Damn.

Supplements:

Pre - None (forgot to take anything..)
Post - 11.5g BCAA, 3.5g glutamine, DINNER.
looking tuff.flobot:bruce2:

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! I try my best. And I'm in no hurry to reach any belt whatsoever. I just want to learn the subtleties of BJJ this time and not rely on strength or force.
looking tuff.flobot:bruce2:

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! I try my best. And I'm in no hurry to reach any belt whatsoever. I just want to learn the subtleties of BJJ this time and not rely on strength or force.
so its more of a balance and leverage thing?

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. There are simply positions where it seems like you Can't use your strength. Before when I first started I would try to bench press a guy side mounted on me but if the guy's good and know's how to apply his weight on you then it's simply impossible/not worth the effort.

There are a lot of other ways to gain position, break his balance/posture, get in a dominant position, etc. If you're even a month or two into BJJ and you start grappling w/ somebody who knows nothing about it or just watches UFC then you'll really feel how easy it is to play with the guy on the ground.

I'm not saying you don't need strength either. BJJ just teaches you how to maximize your use of it for the least amount of effort. To the point that even if your opponent's super strong and struggles a ton you'll simply outlast him cuz you yourself have used almost no energy while he, not really knowing any ground skills, is draining himself every second trying to use force w/o technique.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. There are simply positions where it seems like you Can't use your strength. Before when I first started I would try to bench press a guy side mounted on me but if the guy's good and know's how to apply his weight on you then it's simply impossible/not worth the effort.

There are a lot of other ways to gain position, break his balance/posture, get in a dominant position, etc. If you're even a month or two into BJJ and you start grappling w/ somebody who knows nothing about it or just watches UFC then you'll really feel how easy it is to play with the guy on the ground.

I'm not saying you don't need strength either. BJJ just teaches you how to maximize your use of it for the least amount of effort. To the point that even if your opponent's super strong and struggles a ton you'll simply outlast him cuz you yourself have used almost no energy while he, not really knowing any ground skills, is draining himself every second trying to use force w/o technique.
i see! so you actually use his own strenght againts him!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Sorta, if you want to see how a good grappler handles a very big, strong man with ease, search Fedor Emalianenko vs. Hong Man Choi (who's new to MMA,hence the ground,) on YouTube. Watch how Fedor concentrates all 4 of his limbs on the big man's arm. He looks like a dwarf hanging off of that guy.

Also, read this article:

On September 27th at the K-1 final Elimination in Seoul, Hong Man Choi came back to K-1 and fought against the current Heavyweight champion Badr Hari. After 3 rounds of fighting, Choi's corner threw in the towel because of a rib injury as the result of many hard punches and kicks for Hari. The Moroccan landed in the first two rounds very heavy punches to the Korean's chin, which had no effect on him. In the third round he stopped to attack the head and throw many punches and kicks to Choi's ribcage. After 3 Rounds, two judges had a draw, one had Choi as the winner. In the second round, Choi was able to land the only knockdown of the fight, sending Hari with a straight left to the floor. Since his last fight, Choi lost tremendous weight. He was announced with 149 kg (330 lb/23.5 st).

Badr Hari is no joke. Nobody in the UFC would survive a world-class K-1 heavyweight such as Aerts, a young Hoost, etc. under K-1 rules (Just Striking). Yet he struggled to take down the big man through striking alone.

I'm sure Fedor is not physically Stronger than Hong Man Choi but he made him look like a noob when he arm-barred him.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Sorta, if you want to see how a good grappler handles a very big, strong man with ease, search Fedor Emalianenko vs. Hong Man Choi on YouTube.
i seen that fight! my high school buddy faught hong man choi..search mike malone!..fador is a hammer!:trout:..LOL..

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Sparred boxing today for a change.

Went 4 rounds ea. with a southpaw my size (~170, 5'8") and w/ an orthodox guy around 6'2" 200+lbs.

Observations:

vs. Southpaw: I used a weird stance I rarely use. I don't really know what it's called but it's James Toney's style. Worked extremely well against the southpaw compared to my usual balanced/peekaboo stance. The counter straight worked like a charm...worked too well in fact that when I went jab-jab-jab-jab-STRAIGHT, the guy got knocked back and stopped cuz he bit through his mouth guard and chipped one of his bottom teeth...Not a good thing to do to a sparring partner...He had headgear on too..good thing the mouthguard had a $1600 warranty for chipped teeth.

vs. Orthodox: A lot of boxing as well as in-fighting. He hits pretty hard but w/ proper defense and movement, it ain't bad at all. Caught him a few times w/ the straight as well as a few right hooks coming out of a bob. No real damage done to ea. other.

Notes:
-I really love boxing...Wish I discovered it before MT. It Really Is the Sweet Science. It's like a chess game except wayyyy better. I love how tactical it is since you can't use anything but your fists.

-Not a scratch on my face today despite not wearing any headgear. I tried to wear one awhile ago for a little while but hated the sensation. I feel like a massive target.

-Despite the size differences, both felt the same to spar. The bigger guy's easier to avoid while the guy my size was easier to reach.

Supplements:

Pre - NO
Post - 11.5g BCAA

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Sparred boxing today for a change.

Went 4 rounds ea. with a southpaw my size (~170, 5'8") and w/ an orthodox guy around 6'2" 200+lbs.

Observations:

vs. Southpaw: I used a weird stance I rarely use. I don't really know what it's called but it's James Toney's style. Worked extremely well against the southpaw compared to my usual balanced/peekaboo stance. The counter straight worked like a charm...worked too well in fact that when I went jab-jab-jab-jab-STRAIGHT, the guy got knocked back and stopped cuz he bit through his mouth guard and chipped one of his bottom teeth...Not a good thing to do to a sparring partner...He had headgear on too..good thing the mouthguard had a $1600 warranty for chipped teeth.

vs. Orthodox: A lot of boxing as well as in-fighting. He hits pretty hard but w/ proper defense and movement, it ain't bad at all. Caught him a few times w/ the straight as well as a few right hooks coming out of a bob. No real damage done to ea. other.

Notes:
-I really love boxing...Wish I discovered it before MT. It Really Is the Sweet Science. It's like a chess game except wayyyy better. I love how tactical it is since you can't use anything but your fists.

-Not a scratch on my face today despite not wearing any headgear. I tried to wear one awhile ago for a little while but hated the sensation. I feel like a massive target.

Supplements:

Pre - NO
Post - 11.5g BCAA
awesome flobot,your and a$$ beater huh?..LOL..:thumbsup:

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Lol, nahh, I'm a Sensation Seeker.

I Love getting HIT if that makes sense...More specifically, I love getting hit and hitting back hehehe. I'm sure if the big guy dumped 100% of his power on me I'd be on my ass lol

awesome flobot,your and a$$ beater huh?..LOL..:thumbsup:

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Lol, nahh, I'm a Sensation Seeker.

I Love getting HIT if that makes sense...More specifically, I love getting hit and hitting back hehehe. I'm sure if the big guy dumped 100% of his power on me I'd be on my ass lol
yeah!but he has to catch/hit you first!..LOL..

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Yeah..I get 'caught' with a lot of punches to the top of my head and sometimes my ear but as long as it ain't a solid shot on my nose or chin, I'm fine. I put the '' cuz you can slip or roll with most of the punches. You can try it w/ a friend even.

Ask him to start barraging you w/ punches. Look which hand he starts the barrage with and start twisting left/right left/right at your hips and combine a bit of bobbing and watch most of your opponent's punches slip and slide off your forearms, your gloves, your shoulders, etc. hehehe The only thing you have to be aware of is an uppercut but not many people are accurate w/ uppercuts when you're rolling around so much.

That's how I tire people cuz they think they're doing damage but the top of your head will actuallly break a naked fist and it doesn't hurt, and you can't be KO'd. Besides, the top of the head is supposed to be an illegal target but you get used to 'illegal' things in boxing like heads constantly banging against each other during clinching and random rabbit punches (back of your neck) also during clinching.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Yeah..I get 'caught' with a lot of punches to the top of my head and sometimes my ear but as long as it ain't a solid shot on my nose or chin, I'm fine. I put the '' cuz you can slip or roll with most of the punches. You can try it w/ a friend even.

Ask him to start barraging you w/ punches. Look which hand he starts the barrage with and start twisting left/right left/right at your hips and combine a bit of bobbing and watch most of your opponent's punches slip and slide off your forearms, your gloves, your shoulders, etc. hehehe The only thing you have to be aware of is an uppercut but not many people are accurate w/ uppercuts when you're rolling around so much.

That's how I tire people cuz they think they're doing damage but the top of your head will actuallly break a naked fist and it doesn't hurt, and you can't be KO'd. Besides, the top of the head is supposed to be an illegal target but you get used to 'illegal' things in boxing like heads constantly banging against each other during clinching and random rabbit punches (back of your neck) also during clinching.
roll with the punches!..huh!:thumbsup:

DanOz

Awards
Interesting log mate - I'm considering making notes after my classes now as well for memory purposes until this all becomes 2nd nature.