Just signed up for my first MMA match.... need advice

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

Just signed up for my first MMA match.... need advice

ill be driving to nashville on dec. 6 (2 hours away)

Any advice on the start of the match would be greatly appreciated, ive never been in a real fight before

my background: i was in judo for 4 years, ive been going to to a MMA facility and training 2 days a week for the past 2 and a half months (only 2 days because of my job)
    learning a lot of jui jitsu and a very little muay ti kickboxing.
    they are focusing on sparing though more

they want me to per-fect my arm bar cause im fast at getting it

i weigh 145 ht 5'11, i started lifting weights 6 months ago so i've got a lot more strength then i used to have when i was in judo

this is my game plan tell me if u have a better one anything helps

im goin to step in the ring, not goin to circle much like they do in ufc. might throw a real crappy kick, i suck at them but i know when they think your goin to kick them they start paying attention to your leg. after that going to throw the jab, punch, then the hook, then a upper cut and hopefully ill be tied up and trying a clinch w/ knees or a quick head/hip toss im also fast with sweeps i want it to be all fast paced mental work then im hoping once its on the ground im going to lay a crap load of punches and ill be throwing them if i have them in my guard also with hitting heels going on the back.

i really hope to just lay out some punches into them and not get tired even if i lose i want them to look worse then me lolll

any other game plans,strategy, effective moves let me know
    whats your best entrance to a fight as in defense or offense
    im kinda nervous on the first start of it

other then training, just goin play a lot of fight night on ps3, study bj penn,piere and matt hughs styles, watch never back down and b4 the match listen to heavy metal keep myself pumped up, drink half a energy drink, and pray. loll

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

You've been training for 2 months!? My advice is to withdraw because there is no possible way you are ready.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

u can do anything u set your mind 2
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Bro I would love to do MMA....but without at least a year or two of current lifting and MMA training under my belt(preferably in a style that I like) I wouldnt jump in there yet. You might be fighting with a man who is a 2 dan in karate......who just happened to want and try out MMA..... no no good for you. Do you have health insurance?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by v4nce View Post

I agree....but that theory ceases once you are unconscious because your mind is not set to anything anymore..... Just warning you, Most places around here require you to do a year of training with a trainer that can be proven. One wrong blow man and you can be seriously hurt.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

You can also easily get your ass beat. Take it from someone that jumped into the cage too early: you're not ready with only 2.5 months of part-time training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

g

ya i got good health insurance lol
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Plus, this type of action is very disrespectful to the sport. I had almost a solid year of training 3-5x/wk before my first fight and I know that I was very ill-prepared not only in the physical sense, but also a mental sense.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

did ya win that fight?

thats a lot of training
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

did ya win that fight?

thats a lot of training
    No, I didn't. I did not train enough for that fight in the stand-up aspect. My BJJ was ready, but my stand-up was nowehere near good enough to make the leap. I got TKO'd in the 2nd because I wasn't ready. It's a whole different type of cardio that is needed in the cage.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, I didn't. I did not train enough for that fight in the stand-up aspect. My BJJ was ready, but my stand-up was nowehere near good enough to make the leap. I got TKO'd in the 2nd because I wasn't ready. It's a whole different type of cardio that is needed in the cage.
    yes indeed. Have you ever wrestled? That is probably the most powerful cardio you can ever do, and muscle fatigue is well on its way by your second go. Very few people ever can last 6 minutes and then into OT....Even on even skill levels, the best will fatigue before that.

Now while MMA gives you breathers, its still a fight. Your body is going to undergo all kinds of stress. You have to recover from blows, keep dodging, blocking, dealing out your own strikes. In other words it turns into something that most gym rats aren't prepared for.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Honestly, unless youre a physical beast I wouldnt recommend it. There are accredited HS and college wrestlers who could make the jump on 2.5 mos of training but I dont think you qualify. A lot of fights come down to who has the better conditioning, so I would focus on your cardio. If you are 145, then you can cut to 135. Hopefully thats the weight youre fighting at. You will be a really tall 135er so I would focus on working your jab/MT clinch and have your cardio at the point where you can go full blast for all three rounds. Dont try to learn everything in the book but focus on a few basic things and get as good at them as you can. Youve already signed up, so go through with it. You might surprise yourself. Good luck.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Your rediculous for even trying this, there are plenty of amature events and or JIU JITSU only events you should try first.

I have 10 amature jiu jitsu events under my belt
    and 5 pank fights (no striking to the face)

and Im barely having my first fight (after 2 years of training 4-5 days a week)
  14. Registered User

UM where are you training that they would even let you take a fight with that kind of experience? Honestly when I went back to training my trainers wanted me to have a good 6months of full time training before thinking about taking a new fight just to get my body back into shape. And this is AFTER the fact i already had fights and had trained with top fighters, Renzo, Ralph, Eugene Jackson, etc and my striking came from a fairtex and AKA trainer. PULL OUT if you've never been in a real fight as you say you dont' even know how you will react the first time you take a hit
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Correct correct correct. You're gonna get yourself beat up. I'd train at least a year more.

How often did you spar in your 2 1/2 months of training? Are you used to the feeling of getting hit in the face? If not then even the first jab that connects will rock you.

And btw, what do you mean by light MT sparring? Will you even be able to take it when your kick gets blocked by someone's conditioned shin?

Personally even if I know I can fight stand up well I wouldn't go against someone training specifically for MMA like Rodja. It's a very dangerous this thing you're getting into. If I were you I'd spar alot more MT, earn at least a purple in BJJ, and learn to wrestle first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You've been training for 2 months!? My advice is to withdraw because there is no possible way you are ready.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.

What kind of fighter are you fighting?
    Come out swinging and take it to the mat as quick as possible. Your judo will be your strong point.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

You can learn from defeat.
  18. M15
    Stats
    5'11"  234 lbs.

If it is an amatuer fight you might not be underprepared, some of the amatuer fighters in the southeast don't train very much before they hop into the cage.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

"other then training, just goin play a lot of fight night on ps3, study bj penn,piere and matt hughs styles, watch never back down and b4 the match listen to heavy metal keep myself pumped up, drink half a energy drink, and pray. loll"

Hey, your gonna do what your gonna do. I'm not one to stop you. I've done stupid **** before so you won't be the first. Just don't be surprised if you get rocked. Not saying that you will, but you might. Also, I would highly suggest listening and learning as much as you can from Rodja. The man knows what he's talking about and is not one to blow smoke up your ass.

Anyway,
    Best of luck bro
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    "other then training, just goin play a lot of fight night on ps3, study bj penn,piere and matt hughs styles, watch never back down and b4 the match listen to heavy metal keep myself pumped up, drink half a energy drink, and pray. loll"

Hey, your gonna do what your gonna do. I'm not one to stop you. I've done stupid **** before so you won't be the first. Just don't be surprised if you get rocked. Not saying that you will, but you might. Also, I would highly suggest listening and learning as much as you can from Rodja. The man knows what he's talking about and is not one to blow smoke up your ass.

Anyway,
    Best of luck bro
    Holy sh1t that quote is awesome. Thanks for pointing it out. Is this guy for real and just like 16 years old or just ****ing around to be funny? After 2 months of training you may have a 55% chance of beating an average joe off the street. You don't know sh1t at that point. There is a good chance that you'll look like that guy that fought Vinny on TUF. People amaze me.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Or that kaplan douche that turned out to be all talk.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I say get punched right in your mouth then let instinct take over.

Seriously
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

This might actually be his only chance..might get lucky in his desperation although anybody w/ a decent chin will never get KO'ed by a noob.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    I say get punched right in your mouth then let instinct take over.

Seriously
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by flobot View Post
    This might actually be his only chance..might get lucky in his desperation although anybody w/ a decent chin will never get KO'ed by a noob.

Noob or not if somebody lands a hard blow to the right spot people will drop.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

But what are the chances right? But you're right; just that the chance of it happening is very very remote unless his opponent's the same level
    Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Noob or not if somebody lands a hard blow to the right spot people will drop.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  211 lbs.

You're inexperienced, but you're on the right track. Judo is a great background to have, use this as your strength ( ala Karo Parisyan). With the Muay Thai and especially the BJJ will make you a well rounded fighter covering all bases.

The BJJ guys I use (brown & black belts) usually dominate all other fighters (strikers, wrestlers).

Make sure your well matched against your opponent. Many promoters and matchmakers are clueless when it comes to competent matchmaking. Try to get video footage of your opponent.

What promotion are you fighting for in Nashville?
  27. Registered User

Ahh.. Fight Night on ps3, if that's not the way to train then I don't know what is.
  28. Registered User

Obvious troll job.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.

the promotion is heavy hitters, i think.

im not goin to back down from the fight cause even if i lose, ill learn. if i make it through the first 5 minute round ill be happy.

as of right now my main strategy is simple and quick

im goin to come out lookin like im setting a leg kick a dead Give away. going to look at his legs, so he thinks if i try to grapple im goin to shoot. so no matter what he thinks anything i do is something with a kick or leg take down.

im goin to step forward, and use a front kick/ 4 punch combo right away jap, punch,hook, and if im close enough upper cut/ head lock-judo throw. then its on the ground from there.

thats my game plan, im not going to let him do his.

and when the match stands back up im goin to use the front kick to keep him off me since my boxing is the weaker of my strengths, but ill keep goin forward as much as possible throwing boxin combos or what my instict sais differently

any other ideas, theyd be appreciated

and to the guy that said im probaly 16, im 20
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

The teep is effective against boxers to a certain extent so if you feel like you're in trouble start front kicking like hell and don't forget to keep your hands up lest he sidesteps and gives you a hook.

Forget about any roundhouse kick low or high.

Forget about the combos. Your 4 hit combo will not survive the first jab that connects and interrupts you. I'm not saying you can't pull it off but if your opponent's more trained than you even by +6 months or so, it's highly unlikely. You'll get countered.

Your best bet to be to close the gap and take him down whichever way you see fit. Keep your hands up, your chin down, watch for the knees and take him down. TRY TO GET ON TOP and start GnP'ing your way to victory.

Don't get too careless or he might submit you; but you're a judoka so that might not be too much of a problem. Just pin him down like you were doing in your judo tournaments and hit him every which way you can. I'd practice ground nd pounding.

Also, wait for more advice from Rodja or other ppl with more MMA experience. All this stuff I'm saying is n00b/basic since I'm primarily a striker.

Good Luck!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fedor signed with Stikeforce.
    By EVILADAMS in forum MMA
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
  2. UFC 89 - Live Match by Match Results
    By flobot in forum MMA
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 06:15 PM
  3. An mma fighter signed by microsoft