Kang signs with UFC

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's middleweight division just got some depth and a potential new challenger for middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Former PRIDE fighter and current SpiritMC champion Denis Kang has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC, American Top Team General Manager Richie Guerriero today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com).

Kang, 31, will likely make his octagon debut in early 2009.

"I just think timing wise, it was a good point in his career (to sign with the UFC)," Guerriero said. "He's always had his eye on the UFC, but with his commitment to SpiritMC, and with him fighting for PRIDE at the time, it just never happened."

Kang, a Canadian of Korean-French descent, was a top star with SpiritMC, a South Korean-based fight promotion. Kang won the organization's heavyweight (80+ kg) title in September 2004 and cited his desire to fight for the organization as a stumbling block in previous UFC negotiations.

"SpiritMC was only asking that I fight for them once a year," Kang said back in April. "That's one of the things that I really, really wanted to do -- to keep my SpiritMC title and keep my fan base in Korea, which is really important to me."

However, Guerriero and Kang knew the 10-year fight vet was missing out on publicity and sponsorship opportunities closer to home.

"With the UFC being what it is, I think Denis knew it was a good time to get some exposure here in America," said Guerriero, whose popular ATT facility is located in Coconut Creek, Fla.

Although Guerriero didn't know the particulars of the deal, he said it would be unlikely for Kang to continue fighting for SpiritMC "just based on the way [the UFC] has always done things," he said, referring to the organization's exclusive contracts.

Kang, the 2006 PRIDE welterweight grand prix runner-up, had emerged as a top-five-ranked middleweight during a 23-fight undefeated streak from April 2003 to November 2006. However, he then suffered three losses in a four-fight span, which included a first-round submission defeat to Gegard Mousasi in the opening round of the 2008 DREAM middleweight grand prix earlier this year.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'd like to see him reach his potential as a dynamic, explosive well-rounded athlete, but he needs to avoid the mental lapses that have recently surfaced.

I don't see him beating any of the non-Silva big 3, Hendo, Rich or Nate to get a title shot. Maybe have his first fight be against Filho (if he wins Wed.)? We were robbed of it before...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
he is a good sign but will not change the top of 185 until Silva moves officially up

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Denis Kang is a badass, glad he will be getting more exposure here.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Badass and not to mention black belt in BJJ! Team Soares is actually popular here in Vancouver. Always going against Team Megaton.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 1
OpKang101 Pics 9
Tattooed76 MMA 4
Alexander MMA 38
IGF-1/GH 81