UFC 89 - Live Match by Match Results

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Show just started.

Tyson Griffin vs. Sean Sherk
-Mostly stand up battle, mostly punches.
Result--Unanimous Decision - Sean Sherk. (Controversial.)

Fabricio Werdum vs. Junior Dos Santos
-Short stand up trading.
Result--Dos Santos 1st round TKO (uppercut, barrage.)

Gray Maynard vs. Rich Clementi
-****ing Boring Fight, I want my 15 mins. back. Too many stalemates on the ground.
Result--Gray Maynard Unanimous Decision.

Josh Koschek vs. Thiago Alves "Co-main event"
-Good Fight. Kos was awesome for coming in only after !2 weeks! of prep.
Result--Alves Unanimous Decision.

Patrick Cote vs. Anderson Silva
-Good fight until Cote blew his ACL on his own accord. It happens.
Result--Anderson Silva by TKO 3rd round due to Blown ACL of Patrick Cote. (Not through a kick or whatever, he just blew it.)

Note: THis is the first time somebody's faced Silva into the third round. Silva connected w/ a solid roundhouse early in round 1 followed by two straight lefts that did almost NO damage to Cote. What a chin! And throughout the first 2 rounds, Silva wouldn't go on the offensive at all, staying at kicking distance most of the time circling the edge of the octagon while Cote is in the middle ("Octagon control") Sigh. TOo bad. I hope that ACL problem doesn't degrade his skills too much.. so frustrating.

Too dissapointed to watch any more of the 'extra' fights.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
anderson silva is a class act how can such a gentle man be that god damm scary hahaha lol when he offerd to help cote up

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the main event was a tad weird, silva just did not engage. It reminded me of a boxer looking to get some time in just to test their wind. Odd

I gotta say I have a lot more respect for Kos at this point. Hell of a fighter for coming in against a top notch guy like Alves on such short notice. Looking forward to Alves getting a shot at the title.

Werdum: this is what happens when you complain and come in out of shape.

Doesnt Maynard always look too big for LW?

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the play by play!!!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought Silva's tactics were similar to all of his other fights; however, Cote simply did not wobble and/or open up for combo opportunities. If you look at the Leben fight, for example, he stuns Leben who keeps coming, which opens him up for barrages. Cote took clean, hard shots and they did not phase him. That could have been a good battle!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I know! I hope Cote comes back in top form despite that torn ACL.

I was doubtful of the hype of Cote's chin but man was I impressed. I think the only time he might've got hurt was when Silva pressed him to the fence and slammed like 4-5 knees to his mid-section in a span of around 2 secs.

I thought Silva's tactics were similar to all of his other fights; however, Cote simply did not wobble and/or open up for combo opportunities. If you look at the Leben fight, for example, he stuns Leben who keeps coming, which opens him up for barrages. Cote took clean, hard shots and they did not phase him. That could have been a good battle!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't think I completely agree. Cote got Anderson against the fence a few times while he took the center of the octogon, and that was very surprising. Anderson seemed a little off to me and like he was trying to have too much fun in there. I didn't like it at all.

Sherk-Griffin was quite a fight. Both looked good and took a lot of direct shots.

Alves looked great, and his TD defense was excellent. He passes the test and gets to try it against GSP. He is now GSp toughest non-BJ test as I could see him KO Georges if the fight stays on the feet. Kos didn't shoot as much as I thought he would. Strange. I would have liked to have seen Thiago go for the finish more too, but I guess he didn't want to get taken down.

Werdum getting KOed was surprising considering that he's never been KOed before. He certainly looked sloppy physique-wise. Maybe Santos is the real deal? Or maybe he just has heavy hands a la Sokoudju.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Is it just me or did anyone else notice how winded Silva was in his corner between Rounds 2 and 3?

And did anyone notice Dana White after the Kos/Alves fight where he went up to Kos first and was whispering stuff in his ear?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Silva was just much more cautious than usual, not sure why. Cote was going to get crushed sooner or later, sucked that his knee blew out. Props to Kos for coming in on short notice, but he did, and he got pretty much dominated. Alves is the real deal, but he won't beat GSP. If GSP moves up, Alves will be champ for some time, imo.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Silva was just much more cautious than usual, not sure why. Cote was going to get crushed sooner or later, sucked that his knee blew out. Props to Kos for coming in on short notice, but he did, and he got pretty much dominated. Alves is the real deal, but he won't beat GSP. If GSP moves up, Alves will be champ for some time, imo.
Alves is legitimate for sure, but it did not appear as if he was respecting Kos' takedowns. His stance was straight and barely changing levels, which is not an effective strategy against GSP. I think that will be a great fight, though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thiago's striking has improved so much since his loss to Fisher a few years back. Say what you want about his physique, the dude is a fantastic striker.

The Griffin-Sherk fight was one of the better fights that I have ever seen, but I do not agree with the judges decision. I had the fight 29-28 for Griffin based on more effective striking and aggression.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thiago's striking has improved so much since his loss to Fisher a few years back. Say what you want about his physique, the dude is a fantastic striker.

The Griffin-Sherk fight was one of the better fights that I have ever seen, but I do not agree with the judges decision. I had the fight 29-28 for Griffin based on more effective striking and aggression.
His physique? I don't get it.

Really? I thought it was a decent fight, but nothing amazing, not in my top 100. I had Sherk winning, but it was close.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
His physique? I don't get it.

Really? I thought it was a decent fight, but nothing amazing, not in my top 100. I had Sherk winning, but it was close.
I think hes referring to the fact that Alves looks "enhanced". Not sure though.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Although it was close, I thought that Sherk won the 1st clearly and the third for sure too. The second could have gone to Griffin, though.

I also thought Griffin lost to both Tavares and Guida so I don't feel too bad for him.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Alves Does look "enhanced"..Too Big and Ripped At The Same Time for 155......Unless he has awesome natural genetics...Arcum's Razor theory says he's enhanced.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh ok, I thought thats what he may have meant, and that is very possible, but who knows.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Alves Does look "enhanced"..Too Big and Ripped At The Same Time for 155......Unless he has awesome natural genetics...Arcum's Razor theory says he's enhanced.
He fights at 170.

^^beat me to it, should've refreshed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can at least get the weight class correct. This is how you appear to a nub.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Lol sorry. I stand by Still too big and ripped for 170 though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol sorry. I stand by Still too big and ripped for 170 though.
He is probably around 190 come fight time and, at 5'9", that's not unreasonable. Gleison Tibau is the craziest example of cutting weight. IDK how he makes 155.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Alves has said that he's 195-200 come fight time.

What about Tibau?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Wudog MMA 1
MMA 11