And Thus the Downfall of Kimbo Slice!!

lawman24601

lawman24601

Awards
it took me longer to post that than the fight lasted.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Knocked down from a freaking jab?! EXPOSED! Thank God.

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
Was it just me or did that look like a fight between two drunks? Hopefully this will be the last time he headlines a card...

...probably not though... :'(

lawman24601

lawman24601

Awards
The best part was that the commentators were doing damage control (EliteXC has so much money riding on Kimbo) by saying that kimbo didn't train for him. What??!! So Kimbo didn't train for someone who punches??!! Really now, you've got to be kidding me!

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
He seemed very focused, almost zoned out, going into the cage. Overall it looked like a very strange fight. I know the hits are harder than they look on the screen but it just didn't look like that heavy. I was almost thinking he was just letting the other guys over extend and then slam something in. I know safety is a big concern but it also seemed that perhaps the ref jumped in just a tad early.....

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
14 seconds...wow. kimbo dropped his hands, and the kid saw an opening. i for one applaud Seth's performace. i have been saying since day 1 that if kimbo was put up against fighters better than tank abbot etc that he would lose. people just get too intimidated by him.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
14 seconds...wow. kimbo dropped his hands, and the kid saw an opening. i for one applaud Seth's performace. i have been saying since day 1 that if kimbo was put up against fighters better than tank abbot etc that he would lose. people just get too intimidated by him.

dude i fully agree i just watched it hahahahahahahah thats the funniest **** i have seen all day man hopefully people will learn that kimbo aint so good:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
the best was the pre fight interview.
reporter: do you have any insight on this fight?
kimbo: naw, it is what is it.
reporter:well thank you for this interview kimbo.
kimbo: thats whatsup.

i chuckled a bit when he said it is what it is, but when he said thats whatsup, i was on the floor. that was absolutely hilarious.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
wow i think thats almost as bad as WASUP ITS YA BOY KIMBO SLICE AND TAPPIN OUT IS FOR *****S
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I am glad to see this guy lose but it does suck that we didnt get to see ken and it sucks for kimbo that his sh!t got changed. His eyes before the fight were so red and yellow looks like he was high. Dana white must be SOOOOO happy. EliteXC is screwed but the other matches werent bad at all. Saw a good TKO early then that pretty cool womens fight. Gina or whatever is amazing and then the title fight was hilarious that wrestling BJJ guy walked(crawled) all over that muy tai like it was nothing. Pretty fun night after a day of workingout then throwing some cold ones back

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
finally the hype can end, nbut I have to say I lost all respect for Ranallo for the Kimbo deserves a "mulligan" comment. He got caught, lets accept it and move on. However, in another interview Arlovski said he was ready to fight Kimbo when he heard Shamrock went out. That would have been priceless too.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
It's sad. Elite was good for spreading MMA interest, even if the talent is subpar. Now looks like it's all UFC, again.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Elite was not spreading MMA by main eventing Kimbo. They were making MMA a joke. It also goes to show that a mediocre/bad LHW in the UFC, beats Elite's baddest man in the world. It is nice now knowing that the hype can finally end

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Elite was not spreading MMA by main eventing Kimbo. They were making MMA a joke. It also goes to show that a mediocre/bad LHW in the UFC, beats Elite's baddest man in the world. It is nice now knowing that the hype can finally end

I know many people who tuned into MMA because of Elite and its network contract and thus have began watching other MMA events as a result. It's well fact that cable network's Ultimate Fighter series is what saved UFC. Like or not, Kimbo put asses in front of the tube. Josh Barnett himself stated that it's all about the entertainment factor. If not, MMA would remain iin someone's garage. Elite is losing money even with Kimbo...can U imagine without.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
finally the hype can end, nbut I have to say I lost all respect for Ranallo for the Kimbo deserves a "mulligan" comment. He got caught, lets accept it and move on. However, in another interview Arlovski said he was ready to fight Kimbo when he heard Shamrock went out. That would have been priceless too.
Jesus... can you imagine what Arlovski would have done to slice?

Shaw never would have allowed that. He needed to give Kimbo a no-brainer fight.

Whoops!! :toofunny:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
The best part was that the commentators were doing damage control (EliteXC has so much money riding on Kimbo) by saying that kimbo didn't train for him. What??!! So Kimbo didn't train for someone who punches??!! Really now, you've got to be kidding me!
Seriously!

Lol, I mean.. come on. The dude didn't have his base he had one foot in the air and he threw a half jab. Kimbo went down so easily and on the ground he was just stunned.

This was by far the gayest thing I've ever seen in an MMA fight. This is right up there with watching a hometown dude tap after getting hit in the head once.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know many people who tuned into MMA because of Elite and its network contract and thus have began watching other MMA events as a result. It's well fact that cable network's Ultimate Fighter series is what saved UFC. Like or not, Kimbo put asses in front of the tube. Josh Barnett himself stated that it's all about the entertainment factor. If not, MMA would remain iin someone's garage. Elite is losing money even with Kimbo...can U imagine without.
let me rephrase then, yes slice did bring people in, however he was a friggin circus sideshow which was bad for the sport. Most of those same people who came in b/c of him thought he was the baddest man on the planet, and Elite screwed up big time.

Regarding the ultimate fighter, it certanly saved the UFC, mostly Griffin v. Bonnar I. However, Dana and the UFC brass have put all of the winners (except Amir thus far) in the cage with bonafide fighters, and if they lose so be it. Hell, look at all the past winners and see who they have fought, most of them have turned out to be good fighters.

Kimbo was a side show, nothing more, and made MMA a joke more than it did to legitamize the sport. I am glad the nonsense that is Kimbo is over. Hey maybe he can go into the next heavyweight Ultimate Fighter :toofunny:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
SUNRISE, Fla. – The legend of Kimbo Slice was built by beating bums in boat yards and back alleys not far from here. It came crashing down Saturday courtesy of a quick punch from a pink-haired journeyman giving up two inches in height, four in reach and 30 pounds in muscle and might.

One simple shot sent Slice to the canvas and from there some guy named Seth Petruzelli needed just 12 punches and 14 seconds to put an end (we hope) to one of the great sporting charades of all time.

It was just a matter of time before Kimbo got exposed. He was little more than a character out of central casting, a bunch of addictive YouTube videos and a lot of insane hype by CBS, which made him a headliner before he made himself a fighter.

He was the Kimbo the Cash Machine, everyone lining up to exploit the lie that this was the baddest man on earth as long as he could walk through hand-picked tomato cans.

Only this time his match with 44-year-old Ken Shamrock, who hadn’t won a fight in over four years, fell apart when Shamrock cut his eye in a light training session Saturday and was deemed unfit to fight by state officials.

In the scramble to find a suitable replacement that Slice couldn’t possibly lose to, EliteXC considered Shamrock’s brother, Frank, who was there to be CBS’s color commentator, hadn’t fought lately due to a broken arm and would have given up around 45 pounds. Despite all this, Frank likely would have submitted Kimbo in the first round.

When that matchup couldn’t happen (EliteXC said state officials wouldn’t clear him, Frank said they did but CBS blocked it), EliteXC promoters turned to Petruzelli. The Fort Myers, Fla., native had been dumped by the big-league UFC, was just 2-2 since 2004, had recently taken a year off to start a business, weighed just 205 (to Kimbo’s 235) and was so lightly regarded he was competing in the non-televised undercard.
ADVERTISEMENT

Despite the oft-repeated propaganda that Slice was a man of “courage” for taking a fight with this smaller guy who was likely to stand and trade punches anyway, EliteXC paid Kimbo a cash bonus just to get him to step into the cage.

“We made it up to him,” said Jeremy Lappen, EliteXC’s head of fight operations. He wouldn’t disclose the amount.

For the myth of Slice, the matchup may not be a 44-year-old on a losing streak or someone from the broadcast booth, but really, what was the worst thing that could happen?

“It didn’t feel too flush,” Petruzelli said of the first punch that apparently didn’t even need to land squarely to fell Kimbo.

Make no mistake – or listen to the EliteXC spin – this was a disaster for Slice and the company. “This is MMA, all the best have lost,” said Lappen. True, but Kimbo wasn’t defeated by a crafty Brazilian jiu-jitsu master. He wasn’t caught in a submission by an experienced wrestler. He didn’t lose a decision after a three-round brawl.

Those would be understandable considering his novice status.

Kimbo was KTFO by a guy he absolutely towered over yet was willing to bang with him anyway. Not that Kimbo did any banging. Slice charged him (“He was like a truck,” Petruzelli said) but he never actually landed a punch.

In the end, Kimbo’s hand speed, defense and chin proved incapable against even an average mixed martial artist. Which was pretty much what every hardcore fan had predicted.

Not that CBS didn’t keep up with the Slice willing to fight, “anyone, anywhere, at anytime.” This was a 100 percent true statement if “anyone, anywhere, at anytime” means “no one any good, anywhere, ever.”

Slice seemed stunned and a bit saddened at the turn of events. After it was over, he initially began wrestling the referee. Whether that was a protest for the decision or because he was dazed isn’t certain. Then he walked around the cage complaining to fans about the stoppage.

Later he walked out on his CBS interview (“Kimbo?” asked a stunned Gus Johnson), although not before inviting America to an after party at a local nightclub. Then he showed up 45 minutes late for the main press conference, where he gave a quick statement and bailed.

“I got my first black eye,” he laughed. He later turned to Petruzelli and joked, “You knocked me out in front of my family; that’s (expletive) up.”

Through it all Slice remained the only likable character of this foolish farce. He wasn’t the one claiming he was the best in the world. He was just a working-class dude who figured out how to beat the system and cash in on his 15 minutes of fleeting fame.

He’s got kids to feed and bills to pay and right to the end, he was milking bonuses out of the promotion, a one-time homeless man holding the Tiffany Network’s prime-time programming hostage. Only in America.

He was the grand actor in the middle of a three-ring circus, a tall tale that would eventually come tumbling down under the bright glare of reality.

Where Slice goes from here is anyone’s guess. He can’t rebuild his reputation without stepping up in competition from the guy who just beat him in seconds. He can’t headline a card and have anyone believe he’s legit. He can’t claim he, “just got caught” when it wasn’t some wild, roundhouse right or sneaky arm-bar that did him in.

The truth was always coming for Kimbo. Saturday it arrived sooner rather than later, the money train grinding to a halt courtesy of a smaller, less heralded fighter that no one can claim is some elite champion.

No, this was it. It’ll never be the same, not for the fighter and not, perhaps, for his entire promotion that just lost its signature star on top of the $58 million it’s burned the past two years.

Afterward, EliteXC execs tried to paint a bright future but admitted they needed a drink. Lower-level employees used gallows humor about finding new jobs.

Kimbo just said he was going home to see his kids.

In 14 seconds flat, the whole mirage was gone.
Indeed.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kinda felt for Kimbo, I mean in essence all he wanted to do was fight for $$$, and Elite made him something he wasnt. It was all a farce and a bad one at that

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he could get beat by even a light heavyweight in the ufc (205)

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
The womens match(s) to me were the most technically proficient of all the cards.

I find that in boxing the lighter weight matches are always better than the heavy weight

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
What? The fight with Gina wasn't that great, all that other girl did was press her into the cage. I missed the cyborg one though, that chic looks scary.

Kimbo just got caught on the button with a flash knockdown, that other guy got so lucky. I feel Kimbo walked out of the cage like a man, graciously thanking everyone for being there. It's all good!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im surprised nobody mentioned Kimbo after the stoppage. HAHAHAHA he was trying to take down the ref with a single leg and the ref was just standing his ground like wtf? lol then when he got to his feet he had the ref clinched against the fence and it looked like the ref was gonna guilotine him LOL that to me was the funniest part! Oh, and the fact that this big bad ass street thug was crying like a baby after the fight, looked like he got his new toy stolen hahahaha.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What? The fight with Gina wasn't that great, all that other girl did was press her into the cage. I missed the cyborg one though, that chic looks scary.

Kimbo just got caught on the button with a flash knockdown, that other guy got so lucky. I feel Kimbo walked out of the cage like a man, graciously thanking everyone for being there. It's all good!
yeah, i think you are right with all the nerves etc and getting caught on the chin while swingin can put alot of guys into a flash knockdown. Seth has good striking tho so i wouldnt say it was lucky at all.

I saw the highlights on cyborg and she looks like a monster in and out the ring lol, i think she would take gina. Im gonna search for some vids on her she looked like she could fight with the guys and do alright.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
How ridiculous was that standup in the AA fight? Nelson has side control and is working on a kimura and they stand it up? That's terrible. I hate Nelson too. Nice finish for AA.

Daley did decent but the inevitable happened. It seems clear to me that Shields would get raped by GSP after watching that fight.

Post up the Cyborg clips if you have them. She will probably KO Gina.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Poor kimbo. Oh well, he's got his money. I hope he didn't become a 'playa' and spent it all.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
CYBORG
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8XkR25r1Ro"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mj0MPVbxWc"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Evt6mR1UlM"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
If Gina trains serious like before she got into elite xc she has a small chance of KO'ing cyborg. Once she's taken down however she's pretty much useless.
How ridiculous was that standup in the AA fight? Nelson has side control and is working on a kimura and they stand it up? That's terrible. I hate Nelson too. Nice finish for AA.

Daley did decent but the inevitable happened. It seems clear to me that Shields would get raped by GSP after watching that fight.

lawman24601

lawman24601

Awards
Yeah, I kind of feel bad for elite xc, but I would have felt worse if kimbo was hyped like this in the UFC. I can only imagine what was going through their minds when Kimbo fell..."and boom goes the dynamite".

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I kind of feel bad for elite xc, but I would have felt worse if kimbo was hyped like this in the UFC. I can only imagine what was going through their minds when Kimbo fell..."and boom goes the dynamite".
"I'm no meteoroligist, but it looked like it was rainin beeyatches".

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established

As much as I loved watching that butterball bounce off the cage on his way down, the stand up was horrible. He was in a good position and working.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
kimbo was only used to fighting drunks and has beens. he probably would have beat shamrock but this was more satisfying to see someone knock him off his horse. if arlovski fought him the fight would have been 7 seconds at most. and i don't feel bad for EXC...their gonna have tito ortiz soon and probably alot of other UFC fighters will migrate soon enough.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i think lidell will go to elite xc. he hasnt been doing so well in ufc.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
lidell just got 500,000 for losing he would just retire over all. I live near him that foo lloves to party. second in that title fight before the kimbo fight that guy walked all over him on the ground he could of ended it and he let go. he knew he would get in trouble by elite XC ending it so early liek that hahahaha

DaTruthMMA

DaTruthMMA

Awards

Yeah that stand up was BS, Nelson had a dominant position and the studid ref stood them up because he can't handle the pressure from the crowd. Total BS, but whatever. Not a big fan of Nelson or Arlovski, but the fight went AA's way.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
How was the other guy lucky? He threw half a jab from an unbalanced position. He weighs much less than Kimbo and he gives up a lot of reach and height. I just don't see it. I think Kimbo got KO'd because he didn't cover up and he has a weak chin.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
1. I always pull for Ninja. I don't know why, but I love that guy. His downfall begun when he stupidly moved up to HW and got KTFO'd by Kharitonov. He did well against a lot of tough guys, and should have gotten the nod against Rampage. Now, I'm afraid his brain had been addled too many times. He seems perpetually rocked. I think he needs to retire. A sad day for a guy with sick BJJ who formerly had an intense, well-rounded game.

2. That standup was ridiculous. I'd rather see AA work his strengths, but fair is fair. Also, AA would have massacred Kimbo. Never would have happened.

3. Cyborg will slaughter Carano, although I'd rather bone Carano

4. Petruzelli was a tough opponent for Kimbo. On the spot, a front kick is tough to anticipate, and if he'd known more about Seth he might have been prepared for that. Kimbo got screwed for having to take that fight on a moments notice. Kimbo is not that good, but he is better than that. If he had a week to prep for Petruzelli, that wouldn't have happened. Nonetheless, the the inevitable was unveiled sooner rather than later. I'd like to see a rematch, and I still think Kimbo has some exciting fights left in him (though any UFC HW would maul him).

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
You are saying Kimbo didn't train for someone who might throw a punch?

Let's not forget that Seth had no time to train either.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
No, the only complicating factor about Seth that I mentioned is the teep (front kick). That is what threw Kimbo off. If he knew he was fighting someone who does that, his trainers would prep differently. You can't learn new techniques the night of a fight in front of 4 million people.

lawman24601

lawman24601

Awards
Author L. Rea said it best when he said " Adapt, Migrate or die...whining is not an option." If Kimbo wants to claim that he wasn't expecting kicks he has no business being a top carder in the first place.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Author L. Rea said it best when he said " Adapt, Migrate or die...whining is not an option." If Kimbo wants to claim that he wasn't expecting kicks he has no business being a top carder in the first place.
I never heard Kimbo complaining about the matchup. It is silly to compare a steroid guru and a combat sport before 4 million fans. If anyone, Bas was protecting Kimbo b/c Bas knew his abilities and shortcomings. This issue is incredibly simple: teep set up punch which set up TKO. It was unexpected for Kimbo. When you train for a given fighter there are not many surprises.

I'm far from a Kimbo apologist. I find it nauseating that he makes the money he makes. Petruzelli himself said he matched up well b/c Kimbo has predictable boxing, and Seth said he matches up well with those guys in camp. I wanted Seth to win.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
1. I always pull for Ninja. I don't know why, but I love that guy. His downfall begun when he stupidly moved up to HW and got KTFO'd by Kharitonov. He did well against a lot of tough guys, and should have gotten the nod against Rampage. Now, I'm afraid his brain had been addled too many times. He seems perpetually rocked. I think he needs to retire. A sad day for a guy with sick BJJ who formerly had an intense, well-rounded game.

2. That standup was ridiculous. I'd rather see AA work his strengths, but fair is fair. Also, AA would have massacred Kimbo. Never would have happened.

3. Cyborg will slaughter Carano, although I'd rather bone Carano

4. Petruzelli was a tough opponent for Kimbo. On the spot, a front kick is tough to anticipate, and if he'd known more about Seth he might have been prepared for that. Kimbo got screwed for having to take that fight on a moments notice. Kimbo is not that good, but he is better than that. If he had a week to prep for Petruzelli, that wouldn't have happened. Nonetheless, the the inevitable was unveiled sooner rather than later. I'd like to see a rematch, and I still think Kimbo has some exciting fights left in him (though any UFC HW would maul him).
Welcome back, Beo! It's been a while. Are you still training?

Yeah, Ninja's really looked sloppy for a while. He had some serious skill but seems to lack the cohesive glue these days.

I had a feeling that Seth would beat Kimbo. He's not great but is a vet with a lot of experience and his strength is where Kimbo wants to take the fight. At the same time, Kimbo can't complain about the fight. If you're the main event (which we all know he shouldn't be), then you have to accept a replacement fight or the show falls apart. It does count as less of a loss I guess. Someone on Sherdog was saying that Kimbo's always had a weak chin. He was dropped twice by guys in his street fights (one was Gannon), but was allowed to recover based on the street rules.

Cyborg's a machine and barely a woman. Gina's taken some shots without ever getting rocked. I definitely favor Cyborg, but it will be interesting. Also Gina won't have to make such a large cut, I would think. Cyborg's fight was at 148.5.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If you're the main event (which we all know he shouldn't be), then you have to accept a replacement fight or the show falls apart. It does count as less of a loss I guess.
Jas, what's up, bro. I haven't been training in any form. I've been remodeling my house--no time for anything. I hope to make it to Kenny Florian's gym soon.

I agree that Kimbo shouldn't be main event. That is Elite XC's fault. He should have been first fight of the night instead of Ninja vs. Radach. MMA is a scary sport. I think Ninja's done. No AC should allow him to take more punishment to the dome. He should focus on teaching; his BJJ is sick.

I heard Manhoef might be headed to Elite XC. Manhoef vs. Lawler would be sick!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I thought Melvin was retiring?

Yeah, Ninja should maybe just try to work on his ground game more and do submission tourney's or something.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I saw on the UG that he might be headed to EXC.

Ninja's definitely done. Even in his recent wins, he's still been knocked loopy, including vs. Villasenor.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I told my kids I could beat Kimbo,... now they believe me!!!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha lol good luck to Elite XC trying to hype up that guy (I forgot his name already...)

But then again, they could always say that he's the "REAL DEAL" or some **** like that because he beat up someone "Who was thought to be the best street fighter in the world" or some crap like that hahaha

It's all in the marketing..
lidell just got 500,000 for losing he would just retire over all. I live near him that foo lloves to party. second in that title fight before the kimbo fight that guy walked all over him on the ground he could of ended it and he let go. he knew he would get in trouble by elite XC ending it so early liek that hahahaha