Punching Power/Speed Workout

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Are there any specific areas of the body to concentrate on/any workouts to increase punching power and speed, or does it mostly depend on technique? Maybe a plyometric program of some sort?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hip and Shoulder explosion. If you can snatch, that'd be great, but most people can't properly snatch. Clean and Power Press would be an effective method.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
For a powerful punch, you need connection from your ankles, use your thighs as sort of a connector, transfer ALL energy into your glutes which loads the punch up and transfers it to your cocked hips which is then whipped out by your arm.

Remember to punch straight from your shoulders like a boxer, put your whole arm BEHIND the punch. Don't punch from the elbows like muay thai.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Light bands connected to the wall help... any more resistance than that - and you're probably not helping yourself.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
"Want to get better at punching? Punch more" -A wise man.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'd work on triceps, as they have a lot to do with punching strength, and also focus on compound moves like the overhead press, clean and press, snatch, deads, etc.

anything that is compound in a way teaches your muscles to work with one another, which helps you bring your core strength into the equation.

i'm not a boxer or MMA guy, so i could be wrong.