WTF? Anderson Silva retire?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I heard recently "The Spider" was retiring to move to boxing? Is there truth to this? I know he just dominates his opponents but i though maybe he would have stuck around for fun or go to Dream or something....

Anyone 100% on this stuff?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's a rumor at this point so I wouldn't consider it too seriously, but he may get bored with no competition and being the GOAT (that's for you, Rodja and Rob)

Dream's ratings were terrible so it may not be around much longer.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I wish GSP or BJ Penn would bulk up and fight anderson silva, that'd be a dream fight.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I wish GSP or BJ Penn would bulk up and fight anderson silva, that'd be a dream fight.
wow GSP v Silva... that would be amazing...I would be torn and prolly say that would be one of the most explosive and best fights ever.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Manager: No truth to recent Anderson Silva retirement talk
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Sep 23, 2008 at 1:25 pm ET

Although UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva reportedly told a Brazilian TV station that he will "retire next year ... and within one year put my gloves aside," his manager was quick to downplay the possibility.

Ed Soares, the manager to Silva and many of MMA's top Brazilian fighters, said that Silva has a contract for six more fights and that he'll complete those before he considers leaving the sport.

Soares posted the news on The Underground, a popular MMA forum.

"Anderson's goal is to retire when he is 35," Soares wrote of the 33-year-old fighter. "He still has six fights on his contract, and he doesn't turn 35 for another 18 months. I know he will finish his six fights before he considers hanging up his gloves."

Those six fights are all part of a contract with the UFC. The organization signed Silva in late 2006.

Silva (22-4 MMA, 7-0 UFC) has won his past eight fights, seven of which came in the UFC. He recently moved up a weight class to fight light heavyweight James Irvin at a July 19 UFC Fight Night event and easily disposed of his opponent with a 61-second knockout.

He next fights Oct. 25 when he headlines UFC 90 in a title defense against Patrick Cote. Silva is currently an 11.5-to-1 favorite over the Canadian fighter.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am almost more excited to see BJ/GSP II, than a preemptive GSP/Silva fight; my Canadian nuthuggery aside, I feel that is also a more valid, and warranted fight, than is GSP/Silva!

Also, the suspense for that particular match-up would be equal to - or quite possibly greater than - a potential GSP/Silva match-up.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would much rather see BJ/GSP again. I think Silva is a little bigger than people realize due to his lanky proportions.

Does anybody know what weight GSP walks around at naturally?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would much rather see BJ/GSP again. I think Silva is a little bigger than people realize due to his lanky proportions.

Rob/Rodja may have a more accurate report, but I have heard it is approximately 180; reason being, he is quite lean already, and does not train with unnecessary weight. I feel this is the primary reason he remains so versatile and so explosive in fights: His training weight = his fighting weight, and therefore his explosiveness remains directly relative.

He just appears exceptionally large because he is -1% body-fat.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There's probably more oney in boxing..

And with his mma record, there's nothing left to prove. ITs just going through the motions, for the most part

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info guys.
Not a BJ fan by any means, but i do have respect for him as a fighter and being very good.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established

He has stated that he walks around between 185-190. If he beats Penn I would love to see him fight Anderson.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What does Silva walk around at naturally.

Maybe Silva/Pierre would be more competitive than I thought, but I still think Silva would win that match up.

BTW, I'm a fan of all three fighters being discussed!

It really shows the talent level of these guys, especially Penn, when you consider that Silva can fight at 205 and Penn 155 and we're talking about common fighters for various match ups!

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
GSP has to brush up a lot on his BJJ first (He's a black belt right?) before facing BJ Penn.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP has to brush up a lot on his BJJ first (He's a black belt right?) before facing BJ Penn.
BJ's grappling is based more on defense and position at this point. He has won only 5 of his 13 fights by submission (usually the RNC). Also, BJ's fight with Machida was at 187 lbs (85 kg), not 205 lbs (93kg).

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree, for the most part. BJ's conditioning rather than his technique has improved since their first bout; in this sense, technique-wise, GSP could utilize a similar approach.

That being said, and as Rodja alluded to, BJ's BJJ is much more defensive (sprawling, preventing takedowns from the clinch, tying opponents in his guard to prevent dominant positions and defending submission attempts) rather than offensive.

If it occurs, it will be a good fight beyond a doubt! I feel GSP takes that particular match-up, though.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would hope you are wrong, because I'm a huge Penn fan (I initially found myself writing, I'm a huge BJ fan, but who isn't), but I'm thinking GSP would take it. Either way, I'll be yelling at the T.V. throughout the entire fight.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
BJ Penn might not be utilizing his jujitsu (offensively), but I would be careful to say that he cannot still submit GSP. BJ still trains jujitsu regularly. And, don't forget he is attained the black belt in 3 years which is pretty outstanding.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BJ Penn might not be utilizing his jujitsu (offensively), but I would be careful to say that he cannot still submit GSP. BJ still trains jujitsu regularly. And, don't forget he is attained the black belt in 3 years which is pretty outstanding.
Never said he can't sub GSP. Almost everyone knows BJ's history with BJJ (fastest US BB, only US to win Mundials, etc).

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Right, but I still think the edge on the ground goes to BJ.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right, but I still think the edge on the ground goes to BJ.
In strictly BJJ, yes; however, the ground is about far more than just BJJ, and overall, GSP has a greater advantage. I would say - at this point at least - GSP is the best wrestler in MMA which affords him tremendous advantages in terms of GnP, top control (and in that, obviously, sub defense and so on).

If this second fight occurs, I feel GSP's wrestling will be more dominant than in the initial fight, and I think he takes it.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I see your point, but seeing how BJ prepared for sherk and really developed that jab, I see him really preparing for GSP. Given, GSP is more explosive than Sherk, but Sherk is a stud in his own right. Also, BJ has awesome sprawling techniques and goofy freakishly flexible legs that allow him to do awkward things on the ground that most can't do.

Overall, I DO think GSP will win, but I think it will be on the stand up. I can imagine BJ sweeping GSP from guard and... well lets not indulge that any more.

Can BJ null GSP's wrestling?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I think at 185 silva would win against gsp but at 170 would be more difficult. penn and gsp at 155 or 170 would be better. I think your right about him getting bored but maybe he wana a couple more fights in the UFC to get that money going then retire early. Yeah dream does suck IMO. kro cop looks shakey and looked horrible in the clinch. i cant wait for these future fights!!!

p.s. he should take on fedor hahaha

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see your point, but seeing how BJ prepared for sherk and really developed that jab, I see him really preparing for GSP. Given, GSP is more explosive than Sherk, but Sherk is a stud in his own right. Also, BJ has awesome sprawling techniques and goofy freakishly flexible legs that allow him to do awkward things on the ground that most can't do.

Overall, I DO think GSP will win, but I think it will be on the stand up. I can imagine BJ sweeping GSP from guard and... well lets not indulge that any more.

Can BJ null GSP's wrestling?
I don't believe so. GSP scored TDs (not until the third round, with a somewhat gassed BJ) in their first bout, and has literally mastered the art of MMA wrestling since then. I just cannot see BJ sweeping a GSP from guard. BJ's sprawl is second only to GSP, but I see GSP taking him down.

However, this IS MMA!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
You don't think GSP can more favorably win on the stand up? They are both quite a lot better since their last fight, and (again) I think BJ is really motivated for this fight and I think he will prepare for the wrestling.

I think your right about GSP's sprawl.. I think it probably is the best in MMA.

So the big question is, should BJ move up to 170 for this fight and try for the title, or should they fight at a catch weight for exhibition?

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
You don't think GSP can more favorably win on the stand up? They are both quite a lot better since their last fight, and (again) I think BJ is really motivated for this fight and I think he will prepare for the wrestling.

I think your right about GSP's sprawl.. I think it probably is the best in MMA.

So the big question is, should BJ move up to 170 for this fight and try for the title, or should they fight at a catch weight for exhibition?

How is that the big question? It is a confirmed 170 lb title fight. And there is no way in hell GSP could cut down to a catch weight.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe so. GSP scored TDs (not until the third round, with a somewhat gassed BJ) in their first bout, and has literally mastered the art of MMA wrestling since then. I just cannot see BJ sweeping a GSP from guard. BJ's sprawl is second only to GSP, but I see GSP taking him down.

However, this IS MMA!
Your GSP love has reached a crescendo, you little knob goblin. Jumping at every chance to spout off about him. Hughes legacy >> GSP legacy. :duel:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
How is that the big question? It is a confirmed 170 lb title fight. And there is no way in hell GSP could cut down to a catch weight.
In terms of a competitive fight. Not what everyone else already knows.:thumbsup:

pushin40

pushin40

Awards
I like both BJ and GSP. Both have continued to inprove tremendously.. However I think GSP seems to get way smarter every fight and just confuses the hell out of his opponents.I think GSP will have no problem with BJ, (again I like Bj)but GSP is just unreal. GSP against Anderson would be a great fight..

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your GSP love has reached a crescendo, you little knob goblin. Jumping at every chance to spout off about him. Hughes legacy >> GSP legacy. :duel:
You know me.

FYI, I have peaked off at ~195 at 5'10"; you semi-big knob goblin.

:thumbsup:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I can't seem to find the entire GSP vs BJ fight. I only find the 1st round. From that round I see BJ doing well in the stand up until, from what it appears, he gets tired and then GSP takes over.

Anyone got a link?

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anderson is big, over 210.
He would own GSP..knees to the face!

I think GSP is to strong for BJ
I predict BJ is going down via decision.

Endgame007

Endgame007

Awards
I think everyone forgot about what happened when Bj and GSP fought. if Bj did not run out gas he would have won. He made GSP's face look like ground beef. I am a fan of both fighters,but there is a feeling of pride that Bj has been showing that will carry him to a victory.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think everyone forgot about what happened when Bj and GSP fought. if Bj did not run out gas he would have won. He made GSP's face look like ground beef. I am a fan of both fighters,but there is a feeling of pride that Bj has been showing that will carry him to a victory.
It has also been nearly 3 years since that fight. A lot changes in 3 years.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are more than right; however, GSP's wrestling, particularly, has evolved greatly since then.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Both are fantastic, a lot has come into play. Predicting is fun both they are both so good that we should just be excited to see it rather than argue....even tho this is a discussion forum hahaha but yes anderson silva sometimes has walked around at 215. his ability to cut weight is just crazy. BJ has muscle too you just cant see it. He showed it on sherks face hahaha
silva > gsp

gsp = bjp

silva wont go that low he will go up