maybe some of you with experience can help me out here..

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

maybe some of you with experience can help me out here..

I just started MMA training 2 weeks ago, and after the first class I haven't been able to stop! I train pretty much every night, some nights doing double or triple sessions consisting of Muay Thai, BJJ, submission/grappling classes and conditioning for strength and explosiveness. In the 2 weeks that I've been training I've slowly began to feel the tenderness in my shins get worse and worse, I pushed myself through last nights Muay Thai practice and today I woke up and my shins were killing me, I'm currently sitting at my desk at work with ice packs wrapped around my shins underneath my dress pants!!! I've google searched shin splints and I can't seem to find a solid answer as to the best way to rid myself of them or at least help bring the sensitivity down in them, I really don't want to have to quit because of this I've truley become hooked on it and don't want to take time off due to stupid shin splints...

I was hoping some of you guys who have been training for a while who may have experienced this at some point might have some insight on what techniques they've done to help make training easier for them...

I'm all ears, guys. Thanks a lot!

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

What you have is not a shin splint, it is an inflammation of the tibia itself. You need to give yourself time to acclimate to the rigors of Muay Thai instead of repeatedly beating them. Also, do you wear shin guards?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

No I am not wearing shin guards yet, I haven't gotten into sparring or anything, my workouts right now mostly consist of opening up with 2 rounds of jump rope, some stretches/pushups/situps, then we get with partners and work on different punches, elbows, knees and kicks - one wears the gloves the other holds the striking pads and we alternate. I feel it most during the jump rope and when I come down on my toes to switch kick or knee
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Nothing like going from 0-120 in 2.5 seconds flat.

Back off a bit, before you hurt yourself, specifically off the stuff that irritates your shins. Eat well, get some rest, and you'll be fine in no time.

Oh, and take a more measured approach.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Nothing like going from 0-120 in 2.5 seconds flat.

Back off a bit, before you hurt yourself, specifically off the stuff that irritates your shins. Eat well, get some rest, and you'll be fine in no time.

Oh, and take a more measured approach.

Thanks poison! That seems to be the general consensus I've been getting on this matter! It's just such a good workout like I said I was immediately hooked and to be doing double sessions 6 days a week but I know now that I jumped into it without being properly physically prepared... Like rodja said, it seems I have an inflamation of the tibia itself and not shinsplints... is ICE and advil the only way to help reduce this? Are their stretches for this?
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Try Super Cissus, and lay off the Advil. Advil is bad stuff for chronic use. Cissus gives some pretty good pain relief.

If it's the bone itself, I'd lay off the stretches; if it's the muscle or sheath, go ahead, gently.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Answers

I've got some wicked shin splints- where is the pain for you? Sitting down, my legs feel fine, but when I walk/run (especially during football practice), with each bound of my feet a shooting pain runs up each shin.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

yeah those are shin splints, you just need some time off.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    I've got some wicked shin splints- where is the pain for you? Sitting down, my legs feel fine, but when I walk/run (especially during football practice), with each bound of my feet a shooting pain runs up each shin.

My pain isn't on the shin itself, it's right smack in the middle where my calf and shin meet on the inside of both legs, I think it's from all of the bouncing on my tip toes from Muay Thai and all the jumping rope that my body wasn't used to, I bought Universals "Animal Flex" to try and help out so maybe it'll do some good, otherwise I'm assuming my body will acclimate itself to this new stress???

that's what I'm hoping for at least.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I get that from being tagged by peoples feet in judo, my big ass vein there gets pinched between peoples feet and my shin bone. I even ruptured it, and had a beautiful bubble there, took weeks to go away. That shin looks different, now.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Everyone thinks they'll be a UFC fighter these days....
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Answers

This one guy would rub tigerbalm on his shins before hitting the pads. Please don't be that guy!
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by warriorway View Post
    This one guy would rub tigerbalm on his shins before hitting the pads. Please don't be that guy!

hahahaha that's hilarious someone just suggested that I go buy some Tiger Balm do help with the pain!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 5/3/1 Experience
    By SemiBulimic in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
  2. Anyone experience this on ZMK?
    By liddodragon in forum Millennium Sport Technologies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
  3. TRT experience
    By RickM in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine