Mike Miller(squatted 1200lbs) to do MMA

1. Registered User

Mike Miller(squatted 1200lbs) to do MMA

Don't know if any of you heard about this, but Mike Miller, a world class powerlifter close to 300 lbs has decided to pursue a career in MMA. Superhuman radio show 178.

Super Human Radio Show Archive

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel35 View Post
    Don't know if any of you heard about this, but Mike Miller, a world class powerlifter close to 300 lbs has decided to pursue a career in MMA. Superhuman radio show 178.

Super Human Radio Show Archive
    Reps on the radio station. I'll have to give them a listen when I get off work.
    NSCA - CSCS
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Thats a lot of power. If he can cut down to 265 he would for sure be an insanely strong HW. Weightlifting strength doesnt always translate to functional strength, but when you squat that much, you have to be a beast. Lets just hope he doesnt have the stereotypical powerlifter cardio.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    Thats a lot of power. If he can cut down to 265 he would for sure be an insanely strong HW. Weightlifting strength doesnt always translate to functional strength, but when you squat that much, you have to be a beast. Lets just hope he doesnt have the stereotypical powerlifter cardio.
    Yeah, he could end up being another H2O. Insanely strong but ridiculously slow and bad cardio as you said. Carwin was smart to leave H2O's camp.

If you can throw 1200 on your back, then your core is amazingly strong. It will be interesting to see what happens.
  5. Registered User

Unless you've been playing sports while gaining that strength, I don't think its very useful. This guy will just be a piece of meat in the ring/cage.
  6. Registered User

Tank Abbott at best!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Yeah, he could end up being another H2O. Insanely strong but ridiculously slow and bad cardio as you said. Carwin was smart to leave H2O's camp.

If you can throw 1200 on your back, then your core is amazingly strong. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    ya think? lol

thats just crazy......i would get crushed like an ant.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Kind of OT, but I loved the Waterman vs. Chief fight. One of the sweetest comebacks ever.
  9. Radio Host
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by robdog View Post
    He's got great endurance now. He's been training hard. He's lost 160 pounds thus far and isn't far off from hitting 265. he's still amazingly powerful but much more agile. I can't help but feel that he's going to do very well in MMA. I never knew till I interviewed him that he's been training in MA for close to 20 years including tactical combat form his days in special ops division of the PD in his city.

Carl
  10. Radio Host
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Unless you've been playing sports while gaining that strength, I don't think its very useful. This guy will just be a piece of meat in the ring/cage.
    I respectfully disagree. his first fight will be in early October and I think he'll prove this. his modesty kept him from truly elaborating during interview, but he told me during the pre-interview that his coach felt he's already ready for his first fight - they placed him in the cage with their best HW fighter at the MMA gym he now trains and he choked the guy out in 1:30 - he told me he grape-vined the other fighter. Mike's not a blow hard and he even said during the interview that anything can happen in the ring and gave the guy respect.

Mike is known as a Powerlifter but he's a tough guy. We'll see how is armature debut goes. I personally would not want to block the punch of a man who can BP 800+ pounds but that's just me.

Carl
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by triceptor View Post
    I respectfully disagree. his first fight will be in early October and I think he'll prove this. his modesty kept him from truly elaborating during interview, but he told me during the pre-interview that his coach felt he's already ready for his first fight - they placed him in the cage with their best HW fighter at the MMA gym he now trains and he choked the guy out in 1:30 - he told me he grape-vined the other fighter. Mike's not a blow hard and he even said during the interview that anything can happen in the ring and gave the guy respect.

Mike is known as a Powerlifter but he's a tough guy. We'll see how is armature debut goes. I personally would not want to block the punch of a man who can BP 800+ pounds but that's just me.

Carl
    Good to see you over here. I'm glad your show is on every weekday now! Do you ever think about getting a current mma guy on to talk about there nutrition/exercise regimen before fights. Rich Fraklin is one that comes to mind right off the bat that really trains hard, I know he's out of Cincinnati, pretty close to you.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Carl
    800+ is a shirted BP which won't translate to punching at all really.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

With muscle that thick and dense though think how many blows it can absorb, and if the blow will even send enough force through to translate into an effect.

If he started training right, cutting, and doing good cardio and MMA training he could transfer his strenth into functional use. But he will lose a lot of strength in the process me thinks.
  14. Radio Host
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by daniel35 View Post
    Good to see you over here. I'm glad your show is on every weekday now! Do you ever think about getting a current mma guy on to talk about there nutrition/exercise regimen before fights. Rich Fraklin is one that comes to mind right off the bat that really trains hard, I know he's out of Cincinnati, pretty close to you.
    Thanks. That would be a good show. I'll see what I can do.

Carl
  15. Radio Host
    Board Sponsor

800+ is a shirted BP which won't translate to punching at all really.
    you're ****ting me right?? OK, So what do you think his raw BP is?
  16. Radio Host
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    With muscle that thick and dense though think how many blows it can absorb, and if the blow will even send enough force through to translate into an effect.

If he started training right, cutting, and doing good cardio and MMA training he could transfer his strenth into functional use. But he will lose a lot of strength in the process me thinks.
    I agree on all points. Even with the strength loss he's probably going to be stronger than most any other HW in the cage. He's squatting much lighter now. He does 405 for sets of 20 reps now.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

you're ****ting me right?? OK, So what do you think his raw BP is?

Who cares? Raw won't translate much either. Power is generated from the hips not the triceps/chest. Arm punches don't usually have much power relative to a properly thrown punch.

Bench press isn't really that functional of a lift anyway. When are you in a situation where your back is fixed against something immovable and you are pushing off of it with your arms/chest? Maybe when mounted, but that's about it.
  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Raw won't translate much either. Power is generated from the hips not the triceps/chest. Arm punches don't usually have much power.
    And the BP usually has to be set up more than a punch. As Rampage says, "You gotta put your ass into it."
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    And the BP usually has to be set up more than a punch. As Rampage says, "You gotta put your ass into it."
    Haha, I was hoping you'd back me on this one. I was pretty sure that I knew what I was talking about.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Who cares? Raw won't translate much either. Power is generated from the hips not the triceps/chest. Arm punches don't usually have much power relative to a properly thrown punch.

Bench press isn't really that functional of a lift anyway. When are you in a situation where your back is fixed against something immovable and you are pushing off of it with your arms/chest? Maybe when mounted, but that's about it.
    This message is approved by VolcomX311, CSCS.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    This message is approved by VolcomX311, CSCS.
    Speaking of, I have my test in November.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Speaking of, I have my test in November.
    You're oddly intelligent, so I'm sure you'll do fine. Are you taking both at once? That was seriously painful. The science portion I'm sure you'll perform fine, the applied is a bit trickier, they're mostly, whats the "best" answer toward the end and one funky thing you wouldn't think you need to study but you do, know the NSCA's protocol for constructing a gym. Easy to remember, and know everything involved with SPRINT FORM AND TRAINING.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.

Who ****ing cares?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Finally squatted 225 today
    By bigbeef in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
  2. mike miller 1220lbs squat