Couture In The UFC One Last Time?

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sources: Randy Couture willing to fight in the UFC once more
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 28, 2008 at 5:20 pm ET

Reigning UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture could return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship by year's end as part of an out-of-court settlement with the organization.

Multiple sources close to the fighter, speaking exclusively to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com), today said that Couture is willing to fight once more for the UFC, possibly before the end of the year, as a potential resolution to his ongoing legal battles with the fight promotion.

However, Couture himself could not be reached for comment, and it's unknown if the UFC is even considering the offer at this point.

According to one source, as part of Couture's concession to return the octagon, the 45-year-old UFC hall-of-famer would want to walk away "clear and free" from the organization after the bout.

Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC), who hasn't fought since a third-round TKO victory over fellow UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga in August 2007, resigned from the organization two months later over what he perceived to be a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay, and the UFC's inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

However, Zuffa LLC officials believe, per his fight contract, that Couture's next two bouts must be in the UFC. Couture had said that he wanted his resignation upheld so he could move on with his career, including a potential bout with Emelianenko outside the UFC.

Back in February, Couture signed a deal with Mark Cuban's Dallas-based HDNet Fights promotion. The organization then filed suit against the UFC in Dallas district court to get a declaratory judgment concerning the contractual status of Couture. However, earlier this month, a Texas appeals court ruled in favor of Zuffa and granted the organization's request for a stay against the motion.

In conditionally granting the stay, the court effectively deferred the case between Zuffa and Couture to arbitration to determine the fighter's contractual obligations to the UFC.

The ruling all but ensures that this case will be decided by a Nevada arbitrator and not by a Texas court, though it's likely that HDNet will appeal to the Texas Supreme Court. Arbitration between Zuffa and Couture reportedly has been under way in Las Vegas since early July.

Despite Couture's resignation, during a UFC 82 press conference in March, UFC President Dana White said that he had offered Couture a fight with now-interim UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on two different occasions. Although the fight never came to fruition, White has never ruled out the possibility of Couture returning to the organization.

In the other squabble between the UFC and Couture, the five-time champion's employment contract, which is separate from his fight contract, is the focus of a breach of contract lawsuit filed by Zuffa on Jan. 14 in Las Vegas. Zuffa contends that Couture violated the one-year non-compete clause in his contract by having his name and likeness used to promote fights outside of the UFC.

Couture's UFC employment contract expires on Oct. 11 of this year.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
If he ever wants to fight again, this is what will happen...there is no way in hell Dana is just going to let him walk away.

holy

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
The rumors are swirling about him facing Lesnar.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The rumors are swirling about him facing Lesnar.
I have heard this as well. Hell of a fight for Lesnar at #3 in the UFC. However, Randy would need to be careful here

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I have heard this as well. Hell of a fight for Lesnar at #3 in the UFC. However, Randy would need to be careful here
Yup. Its a horrible match up for Randy. I certainly dont see him koing or subbing Lesnar. And I dont feel too confident about his chances of outwrestling him either.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this could end bad for Randy. Lesnar is huge, fast, and strong. Randy will have to outbox him and dirtybox him, but will need to be careful as if Lesnar gets on top of him, he will rain it down. (this whole post sounded a little wrong)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I heard the Lesnar rumor too. I'd really like to Nog fight Randy, but if it's a 1 fight deal then why would they let him get the belt again. Lesnar would make sense as a choice because the UFC loves destroying their Hall of Famers to build rising stars.

Randy's usually got a good gameplan and exploits the holes in his opponents' game. He'll no doubt find huge holes in Lesnar's game. Maybe use footwork to keep it standing and not allow Brock to set up a shot and then pick him apart slowly with technical boxing. Randy's standup has really improved.

He's also training with Jacare which can't hurt his sub skills off his back if he needs them. I could see Randy taking this by Anaconda choke too for some reason like he did against Van Arsdale.

On the otherhand, it could look like his matches with Barnett and Ricco.....

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yup. Its a horrible match up for Randy. I certainly dont see him koing or subbing Lesnar. And I dont feel too confident about his chances of outwrestling him either.
You're just lucky your boy, E-fed, doesn't have to fight him. E-fed may destroy him in competitive eating, but not MMA. :twisted:

Ok, no, but this place needs to liven up.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Couture-Lesnar would be exciting, and I wouldn't put it pass Randy to pull it off, although I'd be rooting for Lesnar.

People will reason that Fedor would defeat Lesnar quite squarely (i do too), but people will also reason that Randy vs Fedor would be a "good fight" without completely counting Randy out, thus, a Randy-Lesnar in theory, should be pretty competitive and also, a good fight.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would never count out Randy. He is one of the most prepared fighters out there. However, he would need to be careful as Lesnar has shown he has heavy hands, and he has solid wrestling to boot.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would never count out Randy. He is one of the most prepared fighters out there. However, he would need to be careful as Lesnar has shown he has heavy hands, and he has solid wrestling to boot.
Can't argue with you there. Those hands look exceptionally heavy, XXXL's? And the torque behind them to make it hurt.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
You're just lucky your boy, E-fed, doesn't have to fight him. E-fed may destroy him in competitive eating, but not MMA. :twisted:

Ok, no, but this place needs to liven up.

E Fed destroys all in every form of competition ever. Ya this place has been stagnant, I think Rodja died.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yup. Depending on the odds, I'd have trouble not betting on Lesnar. Like you said, just a bad match up

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
E Fed destroys all in every form of competition ever. Ya this place has been stagnant, I think Rodja died.
Between grad school and the GF, I don't have much time to troll here.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LUCKY!!!

That sort of talk makes me jealous!

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL...good luck with that. I'm no longer envious!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL...good luck with that. I'm no longer envious!
Over half of them did not know how many kcals are in each macro. It's an upper level class and they are going to be eaten alive by the prof in the lecture section.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Over half of them did not know how many kcals are in each macro. It's an upper level class and they are going to be eaten alive by the prof in the lecture section.
I had a hot grad student when I took that class and everybody had to take off their shirts (for tests & measurements) all the time, guys and girls, sooooo....

But I was amidst a bulk, so it actually sucked for me.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I think lesnar is untested and weak to leg knee or ankle submissions. Id say couture opens up a nice cut kneeing lesnar inthe face when he comes barreling in for the takedown and gets stopped or subbed. has lesnar raelly eaten any good leg kicks or taken some good face trauma?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a hot grad student when I took that class and everybody had to take off their shirts (for tests & measurements) all the time, guys and girls, sooooo....

But I was amidst a bulk, so it actually sucked for me.
Not any eye candy in my labs, but I get to see my GF right after lab.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be nice to see Dana eat sh!t and have to accept a co-promo against Fedor.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think lesnar is untested and weak to leg knee or ankle submissions. Id say couture opens up a nice cut kneeing lesnar inthe face when he comes barreling in for the takedown and gets stopped or subbed. has lesnar raelly eaten any good leg kicks or taken some good face trauma?
there is no doubt LEsnar would have to be careful here, however the same could be said for Randy. Lesnar is a bigger, stronger and better wrestler IMO.

Either way, I would love to see the fight. It would be funny if lesnar wins, than all the Randy/Fedor bs can end, as Randy has about as much chance as Lindland did against Fedor imo.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well, it's official:

t’s official: Randy Couture fought Zuffa law and Zuffa law won … kinda.

The 11-month legal drama that involved the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and its disgruntled heavyweight champion, Randy Couture, has been resolved.

Thank the almighty … whoever that may be.

In an official conference call today, UFC President Dana White announced that the 45-year-old Hall of Fame inductee had agreed to an out-of-court new multi-fight contract. And, as speculated, will return against Brock Lesnar in the main event at UFC 91 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada (not Portland, Ore.), in a five round fight for the heavyweight championship of the world.

The winner of the bout will be recognized as the heavyweight champion of the world and fight the winner of the bout between UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira and Frank Mir to unite the title sometime after their bout on December 27.

This is quite a departure — and a monumental breakthrough — from the ugly break up that first began when Couture faxed in his resignation from a South African movie set in late 2007, citing poor pay, lack of respect and a desire to fight Fedor Emelianenko — a high-profile free agent who the UFC was unable to sign.

He has sat on the sidelines ever since, hoping that his legal team could find him a way out of his ironclad contract. Either he eventually realized that it was impossible or would just take too long, which is more than likely the genesis behind his sudden shift in strategy.

Regardless, it’s great news that both parties were able to put their differences aside and broker a truce. Now Couture is on the clock to get into fighting shape — he hasn’t competed since a technical knockout win over Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74: “Respect” in August 2007.

Considering his age — and upcoming opponent — he’ll need to whack off any and all cage rust sooner rather than later. Lesnar is among the largest, strongest and most athletic fighters in the division. Couture, on the other hand, is not.

However, he has an uncanny ability to rise to the occasion on fight night, leveraging his experience, knowledge and skill to put together (and execute) winning gameplans. Put simply, Randy Couture has proven over time that he can never be counted out.

So even though it’s been nearly a year of turmoil and straight up ridiculousness … nothing has really changed.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:goodpost:

but I don't know what to think of it. Randy is good, but Lesnar is a freak. I'm not a Randy fan, but I wouldn't want to watch someone of his respect get raped either, but on the other hand, I also don't count Randy out. Either way, I'll be rooting for Lesnar.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is utter BS that Lesnar gets a title shot after 1 ****ing win in the UFC. They are pissing on Nog with this move and is a microcosm of how unappreciated he has been throughout his career.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
regarding nog he will get the chance to prove (although he shouldnt have to at this point) that he is the true champ. Obviously he destroys Mir, then in 2009 he fights Lesnar IMO, and subs him fairly quickly

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Mir and herring are done and mir still found a chink in the armour. Ive seen herring repeatedly get outwresteled and for lesnar to do it is not that impressive in my mind. Lensar is fast and strong and now he has figured out how to throw knees he will be a force to consider but nowhere near the exp skill and confidence of randy.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Ridiculous...

Just watched on Mike and Mike in the morning (wow...) and they introduced the TITTLE FIGHT, omg... Had them both on the show...

This is just pathetic, look at them both. Brock probably walks around 300lbs, Coutoure maybe 220's? And they use this matchup and for nothing less than a tittle shot!??! This is just insane.

Not to mention raw power and horrible matchup, they are just handing this to Brock. Heavyweight division on UFG is already f'd up enough, I mean, 206 - 265lbs?!?! Could the range be any bigger? And if you're up in the 270's, 80s, so on, you can lose A LOT of watter weight. It's as ridicoulous as setting up a match between Nogueira and BJ Penn for instance. Talk about overpowering...

But anyways, can't believe this is official.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think it's an interesting matchup and not a walk in the park for Brock by any means. Should it be for the title? No. Brock hasn't earned that and Nog gets screwed, but that has to do with that TUF effect as well.

L

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
they have to give couture a fight where he stands a chance, creates excitement & can work off his octagon rust. Nog rifgt off the bat would be hopeless. Lesnar-Nog-Fedor! Lesnar has to maul him to stand a chance and couture knows this plus he beat gonzaga. I want Lesnar to win cause he brings excitement but I fear couture wins by gameplan.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Gonzaga is nowhere near as strong as Brock and his wrestling probably also pales in comparison, not to mention his cardio. Randy is typically not a finisher and is not known for his subs. He'll have to LnP or GnP for a win though a decision seems more likely. But if anyone could do it, Randy's the man. So, basically they invalidate Nog's title and make his match-up with Mir a joke. Nog should defeat Mir and likely Brock or Randy too. So if the UFC does sign Fedor or works out a cross promotion fight then it's Nog v Fedor again with a predictable outcome. It really seems like they are trying to build up Brock and have him fight Fedor. I guess they need a refresher on trying to build up fights as things never pan out and they miss the really big paydays. Dana will F this up one way or another, that I'm confident of.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I would give Randy a slight advantage over Nog. His wrestling is obviously way better, and he should have the sub D skills to avoid anything (he's training with Jacare too). On the feet, it's hard to say. Nog's got better tech boxing, but Couture's MT looked much better against Sylvia and GG. Randy owns the clinch too.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would give Randy a slight advantage over Nog. His wrestling is obviously way better, and he should have the sub D skills to avoid anything (he's training with Jacare too). On the feet, it's hard to say. Nog's got better tech boxing, but Couture's MT looked much better against Sylvia and GG. Randy owns the clinch too.
Randy does own the clinch. Questionable if he could "control" Brock, but no doubt, Randy does own the clinch.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Randy would get sub'd.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't forget about Drysdale, too. The dude anaconda'd Marcello at the last ADCC.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards
The last fight of his three fight contract is RUMORED that Dana wants it to be an inter organization fight with Fedor.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I spoke with Randy the other day and he told me that this whole deliberation with the contracts is BS. It is something that Dana and he conjured up to create excitement. they are both well aware that Randy has very few fights left in him and they want them to count. The reason they made up the whole contract dispute was because with Randy's old age he needs more time off between fights plus he is pursuing other career paths ie making movies. To not make Randy sound like a douche bag they made up the entire contract dispute so that Randy could take a little extra time and shoot his movie.

Actually I did not talk to Randy....or anyone for that matter. This is just a theory I have.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards
I spoke with Randy the other day and he told me that this whole deliberation with the contracts is BS. It is something that Dana and he conjured up to create excitement. they are both well aware that Randy has very few fights left in him and they want them to count. The reason they made up the whole contract dispute was because with Randy's old age he needs more time off between fights plus he is pursuing other career paths ie making movies. To not make Randy sound like a douche bag they made up the entire contract dispute so that Randy could take a little extra time and shoot his movie.

Actually I did not talk to Randy....or anyone for that matter. This is just a theory I have.
Randy wrote an article for Tapout magazine explaining exactly how he felt and why he tried to get out of his contract. To be honest there isn't much entertainment value in what happened.

If he needed time off they could just schedule him a fight way out and use the time to build up hype.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Randy would lose to Lesnar.. it would be like him losing to Josh Barnet (sp?) and Rico Rodrigues.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Randy would lose to Lesnar.. it would be like him losing to Josh Barnet (sp?) and Rico Rodrigues.
Different Randy now, though. His boxing has gotten much, much better since then.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
We really don't know where Randy is at now, do we?

He's at the age, regardless of his spartan regimes, that the ATP in his cells simply won't allow for the strength and stamina he once had, this I know as also being too long in the tooth, old wolves are wiser but the biochem reality creeps up on one. I would think that Couture's best tactic V Lesnar wold be to tie Brock up after his bull rush and sink in a sub.