Fight of 2008 so far

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sherdog had a poll up for this and I've got to say it was Alvarez vs. Hansen. That fight was amazing. Huge punches landing from Alvarez, some nice groundwork and sub attempts by Hansen, and very very close.

Kawajiri-Alvarez was great too. I'll have to rewatch that one to see if it may hop over his fight with Hansen. Both fighters were nearly KOed at points before the end.

Oh and biggest cheapshot of 2008 (even though it was a day too early)

:FUfinger: F U Misaki. You could have ruined Akiyama's modeling career :twisted:

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
So, fights of the year can't be one-sided as evident by those poll options?

The Misaki fight technically occurred last year. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a cheap shot as if it were just a split second later it would have been perfectly legal. Now, faking a glove touch and throwing some ridiculous kick is poor sportsmanship and a what I would consider a cheap shot. But I guess karma played out and the guy deservingly got KOd in a subsequent bout.

Kegger

Awards
I would have to completely agree on the Alvarez vs Hansen fight. Plus the fight with Kawajiri was just as entertaining. But looking at the photo, it doesn't look like the grease monkey's knees are touching the mat.....what's the problem?;)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
So, fights of the year can't be one-sided as evident by those poll options?

The Misaki fight technically occurred last year. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a cheap shot as if it were just a split second later it would have been perfectly legal. Now, faking a glove touch and throwing some ridiculous kick is poor sportsmanship and a what I would consider a cheap shot. But I guess karma played out and the guy deservingly got KOd in a subsequent bout.
It's your opinion so it can be whatever type of fight that you want it to be. What was yours then, Fitch-GSP or something?

I know it was a day to early (as I said). I was just messing around as a few of us have began to excessively love Akiyama in a somewhat joking yet somewhat serious manner (ie the male modeling comment).

Yeah, Manvil probably took the cake with that cheap shot.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Akiyama gabs the ropes too much :stick:

I liked his bleached hair look.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I would have to completely agree on the Alvarez vs Hansen fight. Plus the fight with Kawajiri was just as entertaining. But looking at the photo, it doesn't look like the grease monkey's knees are touching the mat.....what's the problem?;)
At least one of his hands is touching the mat, those are the rules. I don't like those rules, but they are what they are.