UFC 87 results and chat

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Decent event. Florian/Huerta was good. Lesnar manhandled Herring, but styles make fights, and that wasn't unexpected. I can't stand Lesnar. I would really like for Fedor to hurt him. Since that probably won't happen, I hope Nog wraps him up in a tight triangle and puts him to bed. Lesnar is obnoxious. Cnorris where are you at??? I want to talk sh*t to your dumba$$. GSP/Fitch was good. Fitch is tough as hell, but got completely dominated. McDonald/Meia was pretty solid. I really didn't understand how Meia(I'm spelling that wrong for some reason) didn't finish him with that first RNC? Seemed like all he had to do was tuck his right forearm behind McDonald's head. Anyways it was an alright event I guess, definitely nothing special. Looking forward to watching the prelims tomorrow morning.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was pretty damn good in terms of entertainment. GSP is nasty. Amzing performance and he really looked a lot bigger than I remember him being (with a nice crisp Akiyama-like tan). His back looked really wide. Fitch is absolutely tough as nails, but got outclassed. That punch that GSP landed that launched the snot was just plain nasty.

Emerson KOing the munchkin made my night. Lawler'coaster (I'm trying to hard). Not a big Manny fan and not after that cheap shot on the glove touch. Emerson sucks too.

Kongo was sort of :yawn:

Florian-Huerta was awesome. Florian looked amazing. Great defense and footwork. Huerta's really fast and explosive.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was pretty damn good in terms of entertainment. GSP is nasty. Amzing performance and he really looked a lot bigger than I remember him being (with a nice crisp Akiyama-like tan). His back looked really wide. Fitch is absolutely tough as nails, but got outclassed. That punch that GSP landed that launched the snot was just plain nasty.

Emerson KOing the munchkin made my night. Lawler'coaster (I'm trying to hard). Not a big Manny fan and not after that cheap shot on the glove touch. Emerson sucks too.

Kongo was sort of :yawn:

Florian-Huerta was awesome. Florian looked amazing. Great defense and footwork. Huerta's really fast and explosive.
Thanks for responding. I'm at full staff:thumbsup: I commented on Florian/Huerta in the other thread, definitely a great fight, Florian is really good. Its not like its a mystery a championship fight is 5-5minute rounds, but I kind of wonder what would've happened if that fight was no time limit. Basically, Fitch is the toughest dude I've seen since Nog, but he got carried bad.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think GSP made a mistake by not keeping it standing when he had him really hurt about 3 times. He either took him down or was in guard and could have just stood up.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Its tough not to take a guy down when its that easy and you've hit him with all sorts of sh*t and he's barely wobbly. GSP fought a perfect fight. He beat Fitch's a$$, but minimized being in the danger zone.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cannot believe how much determination and toughness Fitch possesses. I would say that every other Top-1O WW would have been finished in the several close calls that Fitch had. He was continually hurt badly and fought threw it. GSP is just too dominant though; I respect Fitch incredibly more than Hughes, but they both fell to lesser skill sets.

Lesnar has just ridiculously heavy hands.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm just glad GSP didnt wear the purple shorts again.

Was it me or did Lesnar look like that big kid just pushing around the skinny kid in the schoolyard? I was expecting more from Herring.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I thought this was one of the better all around events.

Lesnar made Herring look like a LHW. IMO UFC needs a super HW class. 60 lb spread wth?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought this was one of the better all around events.

Lesnar made Herring look like a LHW. IMO UFC needs a super HW class. 60 lb spread wth?
Am I completely lost or at one time wasnt super heavy 260lbs+? How did lesnar make HW?

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I think Herring would have had a chance had he not taken that huge punch right at the beginning of the fight. He is quick and dangerous but seemed tired towards the end. I think he is beatable and he still has yet to take a good punch.

I thought he was a bit disrespectful after the fight given that Herring took that shot and the ensuing punishment to the end of the fight. I don't see how he could be so cocky when he couldn't finish him off or submit him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think Herring would have had a chance had he not taken that huge punch right at the beginning of the fight. He is quick and dangerous but seemed tired towards the end. I think he is beatable and he still has yet to take a good punch.

I thought he was a bit disrespectful after the fight given that Herring took that shot and the ensuing punishment to the end of the fight. I don't see how he could be so cocky when he couldn't finish him off or submit him.
Nice assessment. You must've been in this game a long time:lol:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
a couple of notes on my end.

I was impressed with Huerta and Florian. I thought KenFLo was going to kill him, so the fact the fight went how it did, shows a lot of toughness for Huerta.

I am also happy with Lesnar. Everyone gave him crap upon entering the UFC, but he has a legit wrestling background (not WWE btw). In his first fight he had Mir in trouble, and he showed he can fight last night. He is most certainly not a title contender yet, but he was impressive.

GSP/Fitch man when focused GSP is a beast. I got a great deal of respect for Fitch as (which has been said already in here)he took a beating but just kept fighting. The only guy with a shot at GSP is a motivated Penn and I cannot wait for that.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
florian huerta.....huerta just looked gased which surprised me since he looks in good shape and usually has good cardio. Florian fought a very smart fight the whole way.

manny emerson....that was awesome lol it was so funny the child was trying to get back up and pop! right back down on the back of his head lol. We were just teasing him, acting like he was a lil kid crying uncontrollably, it looked like he wanted to and with his short stature i could help myself.

lesnar herring.... loved that big shot, lesnar really comes out of the corner with alot of energy. excited but died out as he just pushed his weight around after that. I think he has good potential actually with his heavy hands, strength, size, and wrestling background, not to mention good aggression. I kind of wanted Herring to pull out a KO in the last minutes of the third, that would have made it an awesome fight. Dude is like a polar bear. He's entertaining and i didnt think his ring antics were that bad except toward the interview, he just hasnt been around long enough to be so cocky.

kongo....he's beginning to bore me in his last fights. Kinda lazy imo. How did that fight end? I missed it or just dont remember.

main event.... fitch is tough but i thought he had a better chin than that. GSP looked really sharp and unbeatable at that weight but i think he should have gotten a KO in this fight. Fitch was missing all his punches and kicks, not mention they looked like they had nothing on them. I dont see why a champ wouldnt be able to take someone out like that esp when they are hurt. Lacking the killer instinct in this one imo.

Was hoping they would show the guida fight... The card was very good on paper but turned out to be average imo.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
main event.... fitch is tough but i thought he had a better chin than that. GSP looked really sharp and unbeatable at that weight but i think he should have gotten a KO in this fight. Fitch was missing all his punches and kicks, not mention they looked like they had nothing on them. I dont see why a champ wouldnt be able to take someone out like that esp when they are hurt. Lacking the killer instinct in this one imo.
I thought a few times he should have kept it standing like Aleksander said. However, if this was Herb Dean, the fight would have been stopped on several different occasions. :lol:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Am I completely lost or at one time wasnt super heavy 260lbs+? How did lesnar make HW?
AFAIK UFC never had a super HW category. Other sports agencies have it but they are free to put the thresholds wherever they choose.

I think Joe said that Lesnar entered the ring at 280 lbs. He would have just cut water weight till he hit the 265 cap for the weigh in.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought a few times he should have kept it standing like Aleksander said. However, if this was Herb Dean, the fight would have been stopped on several different occasions. :lol:
dude, i just broke my pen when you mention that god awful disgrace to mankind.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I havent finished watching the fights yet, but I had to make one comment on this show...

The round girl, one that's usually in the red bikini, god damn, I gotta say, she was always smoking hot but I could swear her boobs were not that big. Don't get me wrong, they weren't small, but it seriously seems like she had some work done on them lately.

And I gotta say, money well spent mam, money very very well spent. Wow.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There was 1 SHW fight in UFC history, but I can't recall the 2 fighters (I think Gan McGee was 1 on them).

Fitch has a HUGE heart to take that kind of pounding and still move forward. He impressed the hell out of me in that fight and GSP's hands looked great.

heyjeph

Awards
i prefer the round girl in black...wow! big props to fitch for surviving the fight.gsp vs penn will be great.much respect to these fighters. ken flo was impressive too!and lesnar got no style or doesnt know how to finish an opponent.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wow! big props to fitch for surviving the fight.gsp vs penn will be great.much respect to these fighters. ken flo was impressive too!and lesnar got no style or doesnt know how to finish an opponent.
indeed, fitch reallyis tough as nails. If GSP ever moves up, Fitch might stand a chance at 170 for the title.

I am looking so forward to Penn/GSP II. I dont have a clue who will win, although I really thought Penn won the first one.

Florian deserves a shot at the title at 155. I think if Penn moves up, they need to vacate it and maybe Florian v. Stevenson?

Lesnar right now is a mauler with ridiculously heavy hands. There were points where Herring gave him many openings to finish, he is still just so raw

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
There was 1 SHW fight in UFC history, but I can't recall the 2 fighters (I think Gan McGee was 1 on them).

Fitch has a HUGE heart to take that kind of pounding and still move forward. He impressed the hell out of me in that fight and GSP's hands looked great.
It was Andre "the chief" Roberts vs. Gary Goodridge.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Huerta/Florian fight was a bit lackluster and I thought Kenny finished fights, guess not.

Herring has always struggled with wrestlers so the outcome wasn't too surprising. Maybe a match-up with Kongo awaits and that may determine the next HW contender. As long as oen of them gets their faced bashed in I'll be happy.

GSP dominated Fitch in the first and I'm surprised he wasn't able to finish him. It'll be interesting to see how Fitch bounces back. He needs to work on his stand-up and quit trying to load up on shots and maybe he'll fair better in a rematch. Hopefully the BJ/GSP match happens now and I'll give the edge to Penn provided his cardio is decent.

Overall the card was a bit underwhelming and I actually thought the Maia/MacDonald fight was the most entertaining.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
That was my first time ever seeing GSP fight and he is defintely a force to be rockoned with. I have much respect for that fighter and will certainly watch his next match.

I'm glad Lesnar won. Herring got his ass handed to him for 3 rounds. It looked like he would have been better off getting hit by a truck instead of that first punch. Brock defintely needs to work on his submission. He could have ended the fight much earlier and I'm sure Herring would have gladly tapped out. Regardless of who Lesnar's next opponent is, he must defintely fight Mir again before a title bout.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although Lesnar is my boy, I have to agree with Alex that he seemed a bit obnoxious. I like gracious winners, but his post-fight moments were reminiscent of WWE. Either way, I'm thrilled he won.

Everything has been said about GSP's dominance and Fitch's heart, so "I concur"

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
You can take the wrestler out of WWE, but you can't take WWE out of the wrestler.

I dislike Lesnar because now the perception is that strength and size > technique / skill.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In LEsnar's case, there are many fights where that is true. However, a good JJ guy will beat him just like Mir did

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dislike Lesnar because now the perception is that strength and size > technique / skill.
Lesnar has a legit, LEGIT background in college wrestling. As did many successful MMA fighters. Matter of fact, being a DI wrestling champ is a more legit resume then most of the fighters isn't it?

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Lesnar has a legit, LEGIT background in college wrestling. As did many successful MMA fighters. Matter of fact, being a DI wrestling champ is a more legit resume then most of the fighters isn't it?
Very true. And strength/size can beat skill/technique if the strength/size advantage is drastic.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Lesnar's WWEishness (that's a trademarked term of mine, you owe me a nickel if you use it) is welcomed by the UFC as a replacement for the love 'em/hate 'em loss of Tito Ortiz. Smacktalk and/or Villains sell tickets.

Lesnar is raw, he's a win by beastness who's on the low end of the learning curve, kinda makes me think of what an '88 to '00 era Alexander Karelin new to the sport would do if he was in today's UFC. For those not in the know, Alexander the Great was the pre-MMA archtype of mauling Beast.

Fedorish in XL.

I think Lesnar needs to get away from Minnesota, train somewhere like Team Couture to reach his full potential, if he does, he will be the champ.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The UFC has a serious sales problem on $40 PPVs every 5 weeks- their Champs are too dominant -diminished expectations on the maincard for anyone that challenges Champions Silva, St. Pierre, Penn and Faber.

Tyson Griffin verus Penn is a good one, Kenflo is no real fight there and GSP to brutally buttf*ck BJ afterwards( mind tight right, GSP's tools will tool a too fat BJ), a leaned Sherk versus Faber would be fun.

Silva can take Forrest Griffin, given proper time to remain at LHW.

I'm mixing commentary and vids, don't like, don't watch. It's the WWEishness in me, yeehaw.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The UFC has a serious sales problem on $40 PPVs every 5 weeks- their Champs are too dominant -diminished expectations on the maincard for anyone that challenges Champions Silva, St. Pierre, Penn and Faber.

Tyson Griffin verus Penn is a good one, Kenflo is no real fight there and GSP to brutally buttf*ck BJ afterwards( mind tight right, GSP's tools will tool a too fat BJ), a leaned Sherk versus Faber would be fun.

I'm mixing commentary and vids, don't like, don't watch. It's the WWEishness in me, yeehaw.

Tyson Griffin? :blink: I don't think he has a chance in hell against Penn. He's kind of like a more aggressive Sherk with worse cardio. He has no chance standing and won't be able to take BJ down.

Not that any of these fights will happen, but I'd like to see Alvarez or JZ against BJ. I guess maybe it's possible if Dream loses its TV contract and folds. Also, Anderson would be bewildered by Akiyama's style and crisp tan if that dream matchup happened.

Is that your boy Trace? That song is horrendous, Rogue. I hope your embarrassed :duel:

224 #? Damn little man :bb3:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I beg to differ. Tyson Griffin is the is only lightweight currently in the UFC who has a full 5 rounds of stamina to fight with great wrestling and a sharp punching ability to give Penn the best fight the UFC has in stock.

I may be wrong, time will tell, that's what I saw of him versus Edgar and Guida. Griffin can close, IMO, better than LNP Sherk.

We shall see, hopefully.

The UFC better find new worthy talent outside of the UFC stable, Japs and Braz and Slavs, what they have currently in stock don't make for a good upset chance versus their champs.

Don't be dissin' TA - he's big, bad ,shrewd, rich, ****ed well all day long, a soundtrack to the Marines in the field, all that you wish you were. I'm more athletic, richer and smarter than he but less able to slap down a vid riff.

You, Me and Trace, any given time@ the singles bar/ battefield, who's most likely to go home grinnin'?

PS - that's a lean rightgeous 224 , stamina and hard everywhere, only you young guys think that bulk is where it's at. Your prespective on the value of slow mass will change once you cross 40. I can run a 5K , in gear or out with Burpies and Pulls, and hit very fast and hard, I've never been more adept at what I want to be.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Griffin's faded in the third a few times like against Edgar and Clay if I remember correctly, and he's gone to a decision in his last 5 fights so he's not a great closer either (but yes better than Sherk). Sherk's going to beat him soon at 90 anyway, and I should be there watching it :head:

I'm sure Trace is money in the redneck community and at NASCAR events, but I'm an icon on the strongman scene. Unfortunately, there are no girls on the strongman scene, but I heard Marius P has quite a following in the gay community. If Alexander's name is thrown into the mix, then TA stands no chance in the battle for female attention. Alex has been filleting b1tches left and right.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'll take a bet of Griffin over Sherk.

No question, you are far more ****worthy than Alex is, I'd do you, and you would thank me for it, please, sir, may I have another. :twisted:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll take a bet of Griffin over Sherk.

No question, you are far more ****worthy than Alex is, I'd do you, and you would thank me for it, please, sir, may I have another. :twisted:
you forgot to put [no homo]

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Tyson challenging BJ is laughable. Could he even get past Huerta, Florian, Sherk, Aoki, Alvarez, or JZ? I think BJ can take GSP as long as he's in shape and hopefully that rematch occurs soon so we can all find out.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tyson challenging BJ is laughable. Could he even get past Huerta, Florian, Sherk, Aoki, Alvarez, or JZ? I think BJ can take GSP as long as he's in shape and hopefully that rematch occurs soon so we can all find out.
You know what, I'd be right there along side you cheering for BJ, but I'm not as confident as you are about a BJ Penn over GSP victory. Hopeful thinking, though.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
GSP is more of a natural 185 than 170. Penn is more of a natural 155.

30 LB's plus a higher vertical leap, more muscle, speed, and wrestling are why GSP will win. Oh and cardio.

Personally I think BJ penn has superior BJJ, striking, and Takedown defense, but he's offset in too many other catagories... Plus his extra weight will be mostly water or fat.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP is more of a natural 185 than 170. Penn is more of a natural 155.

30 LB's plus a higher vertical leap, more muscle, speed, and wrestling are why GSP will win. Oh and cardio.

Personally I think BJ penn has superior BJJ, striking, and Takedown defense, but he's offset in too many other catagories... Plus his extra weight will be mostly water or fat.
Definitely. BJ's cardio is vastly improved at 155, but I think that is because of the weight drop. The move back up to 170, at least in my opinion, would see a reincarnation of the pudgy BJ who has little chance against the new, more dominant GSP. For the record, though, I would have given their first fight to BJ; that being said, I think GSP has progressed much more as a fighter than BJ - while BJ has more or less improved his conditioning, but not evolved as much as a fighter.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think GSP has progressed much more as a fighter than BJ - while BJ has more or less improved his conditioning, but not evolved as much as a fighter.
You nailed it there. GSP has improved much more since round 1. On a recent re-viewing of the first one, I had a slightly different opinion of what happened than I used to. BJ did win the standup, but not by as much as I and many had thought and most of damage to Georges happened immediately after the eye poke. I might lean GSP's way, but I'll have to think about it. It seems that GSP can win this by top control and his standup is good enough to avoid damage before the TDs.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

I'm not very impressed by Tyson Griffin. Kenflo would beat him and Penn would make him look real bad. I think Penn has a good chance against GSP. Like Mullet said, I do believe GSP has improved more than Penn since their fight. I'd give a slight edge to GSP.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I beg to differ. Tyson Griffin is the is only lightweight currently in the UFC who has a full 5 rounds of stamina to fight with great wrestling and a sharp punching ability to give Penn the best fight the UFC has in stock.

I may be wrong, time will tell, that's what I saw of him versus Edgar and Guida. Griffin can close, IMO, better than LNP Sherk.

We shall see, hopefully.

The UFC better find new worthy talent outside of the UFC stable, Japs and Braz and Slavs, what they have currently in stock don't make for a good upset chance versus their champs.

Don't be dissin' TA - he's big, bad ,shrewd, rich, ****ed well all day long, a soundtrack to the Marines in the field, all that you wish you were. I'm more athletic, richer and smarter than he but less able to slap down a vid riff.

You, Me and Trace, any given time@ the singles bar/ battefield, who's most likely to go home grinnin'?

PS - that's a lean rightgeous 224 , stamina and hard everywhere, only you young guys think that bulk is where it's at. Your prespective on the value of slow mass will change once you cross 40. I can run a 5K , in gear or out with Burpies and Pulls, and hit very fast and hard, I've never been more adept at what I want to be.
If it was a nice singles bar, not a redneck bar, I'd have to go with Jas as the grinner. If it were a redneck bar with 40 year old chicks then I guess you and cheeseball Adkins would come out on top:thumbsup:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Cheeseball Adkins? The dude's a wordsmith. Seriously. :toofunny:

You didn't think you were going to come back here and not get sh1t, did you Roguester? Bring it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I did miss Rogue's wordsmithmanship. I'm expecting him to say something about himself being 225#'s of twisted steal and sex appeal in his next post.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed Augustine's wordworthmanship 1000000000000000000000000000000000 times better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dynomite MMA 21
flobot MMA 24
AuggieC MMA 77
CNorris MMA 138
MMA 6