Matt's MST-Sponsored Contest Prep

MB28

Awards
I figured I'd better jump on the bandwagon and post a little introduction like many of the other MST sponsored athletes before I am left out in the dust.

My name is Matt, I am 21 years old, and am currently dieting for 3 (possibly 4) shows coming up this Summer.

Right now I am 2.5 weeks out from the Executive Productions Michigan Challenge of Grand Rapids Bodybuilding Competition. I will also be competing in two shows (May 31 and June 7) in Indiana, putting me at 4.5 and 5.5 weeks out for both of those.

I have done one previous show (2006 OCB Lake Cities Natural) and placed 1st in the teen division and 2nd in novice.

Right now I am sitting near 191 +/-2lbs at 6' tall, which is ~5 lbs heavier than I was for my first competition. I am also noticeably leaner as well at this point from showtime (another plus).

If it is alright with everyone, I figure I'll keep a small log here of the remainder of my prep. Knowing that I will be posting info on here will only make me push myself that much harder to come in at my absolute best, as I definitely do not want to disappoint.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
Allota Matts supporting MST. What's up with that huh? Definitely, post everything up and we will try to help ya!

MB28

Awards
Tuesday, April 29

Tuesday's Macros
Calories: 2369
Protein: 298g
Carbs: 179g
Fat: 50g

Cardio
Posing :cool:

Training
Chest/Arms

MB28

Awards
Today's Macros
Calories: 2112
Carbs: 124g

Cardio
45min @ 3.0mph, 8.0% incline (low-impact)

Training
Rest Day

Not bad today with the exception of my legs still being sore from Monday's leg workout.

Recently found out that I have been accepted to Ferris State University's pharmacy school, so that was definitely news well-received.

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Hey Matt! Nice to see you in here my friend. I think you are going to great in these upcoming shows.

Congrats on the acceptance to Ferris State! That's exciting.

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
best of luck, brotha! awesome job getting accepted to Pharmacy school. that was something i originally wanted to do as well.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Welcome to our team and congrats on your acceptance to school. If I could go back 6 years I might take that same route that you're taking now. Good luck with it all.

I'm sure you'll do great at the shows. Looking forward to following this log!

MB28

Awards
Thursday's Macros
Calories: 2841
Protein: 276g
Carbs: 322g
Fat: 53g

Cardio
20 minutes @ 3.5mph, 10.0% incline

Training
Back/Shoulders

Today was my first actual day of Summer work since school has ended. By the end of my 8hr. shift of being on my feet all day long my legs were killing me.

Question for the gurus in regards to how I could go about dosing my soon-to-arrive Shred-XS/Shred-XS HC stack.

I was thinking of either doing the following:

Preworkout: 2 Shred XS HC
Later in the Day: 2 Shred XS

or

Preworkout 1 Shred XS/1 S XS HC
Later: Same as preworkout

Anyone try either of those combinations? Did you find you liked one over the other--especially in terms of fat loss?

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Thursday's Macros
Calories: 2841
Protein: 276g
Carbs: 322g

Cardio
20 minutes @ 3.5mph, 10.0% incline

Training
Back/Shoulders

Today was my first actual day of Summer work since school has ended. By the end of my 8hr. shift of being on my feet all day long my legs were killing me.

Question for the gurus in regards to how I could go about dosing my soon-to-arrive Shred-XS/Shred-XS HC stack.

I was thinking of either doing the following:

or

Preworkout 1 Shred XS/1 S XS HC
Later: Same as preworkout

Anyone try either of those combinations? Did you find you liked one over the other--especially in terms of fat loss?

I actually prefer option A

Especially if you are combining it with Cordygen5 or Cordygen-VO2 to make your cardio more effective fat burning wise.

MB28

Awards
I actually prefer option A

Especially if you are combining it with Cordygen5 or Cordygen-VO2 to make your cardio more effective fat burning wise.
That's the option I was leaning towards. I will have to give that a shot, especially w/ the added C5 or CVO2

Today's Macros

Cardio
Posing

Training
Legs

Ordered my tanning supplies for the upcoming competitions.

"2, 4, and 5 weeks out"
-Matt

MB28

Awards
12 Days Out

Calories: 2741
Protein: 274g
Carbs: 301g

Cardio
30 minutes low-intensity
Posing

Training
Chest/Arms

Didn't have much time to update as of late. Been picking up a few extra shifts at work in an attempt to make some extra money to help pay for school.

Sadly, today will be my last high(er) carb day until peak week.

Got my Shred-XS Hardcore along with a few other MST samples and cannot wait to try it out tomorrow.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
He doesn't need luck...he's an MST athlete :dance:

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
jeeeeez...some people are just too harsh on a brotha!

MB28

Awards
11 Days Out

Cardio
20 minutes low-intensity
Posing

Training
Back/Shoulders

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck with the show! Looks like you've got your macros dialed in perfectly!

MB28

Awards
Best of luck with the show! Looks like you've got your macros dialed in perfectly!

Thanks a bunch for the support! I swear, the days are going by slower and slower as the contest approaches. I'm almost happy to be working tomorrow to help make the day go by faster.

MB28

Awards
10 Days Out

(Macros very similar to yesterday)

Cardio
25 minutes, low-intensity
Posing

Training
Legs

This was probably the hardest workout to date. Believe it or not, I am still making some strength gains even this far into contest-prep (I've been dieting since Dec. 26). I won't lie, my energy sucked, I'm starting to feel like ass more often, but I am happy with how I have managed to maintain most, if not all, of my strength. I have found it more difficult, however, to stabilize dumbells for things such as dumbell presses, but I attribute this to being at a low body fat and not so much strength--possibly due to losing fat surrounding my joints?

Anyways, got a call from a Walgreen's pharmacy supervisor about setting up an interview, hopefully for Friday, for an intership this Summer. :woohoo:

Hopefully all goes well, as I am very excited for this opportunity.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a bunch for the support! I swear, the days are going by slower and slower as the contest approaches. I'm almost happy to be working tomorrow to help make the day go by faster.
Hahaha... whenever time seems to slow down, I just drink more water so I have to get up and go to the bathroom to kill time.

It's one thing to bare down and really kick it into high gear to get in shape for yourself, etc... But it's gotta be a whole other level when getting in shape for a contest!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Hahaha... whenever time seems to slow down, I just drink more water so I have to get up and go to the bathroom to kill time.

It's one thing to bare down and really kick it into high gear to get in shape for yourself, etc... But it's gotta be a whole other level when getting in shape for a contest![/QUOTE]

I've never had this kind of stress on me, but I don't think i'd want it either. Good luck with your show and great drive to stay in such a locked in mode!

MB28

Awards
9 Days Out (From Thursday)

Calories: 2264
Protein: 304
Carbs: 151
Fat: 52

Cardio
45 minutes, low-intensity
Posing

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
9 Days Out (From Thursday)

Calories: 2264
Protein: 304
Carbs: 151
Fat: 52

Cardio
45 minutes, low-intensity
Posing

Everything is looking great. I'm impressed that you are still making strength gains. I think you are a mutant ;)

Congrats on the pending internship!

MB28

Awards
8 Days Out

Cardio:
Posing

Training:
Chest/Arms (+extra)

7 Days Out

Calories: 2385
Protein: 308g
Carbs: 177g
Sodium: 4065mg

Cardio
18-minutes, HIIT
15-minutes, Low-intensity

If I get some time tomorrow I will post my peak week plan and subject it to any critiques any of you might have to offer. I will for sure have it posted on Monday.

It it Tulip Time here in Holland, MI and low-and-behold the Tulip Time parade was just finishing up as I was leaving work. Traffic was so backed up with tourists and parade-goers heading home that it took me 35 minutes to drive a total of 3 and a half blocks to get to the gym after work. :aargh:

MB28

Awards
Busy, busy, busy. Just finished my 7th day in a row of work. Tomorrow = off, finally!

6 Days Out
Calories: 2233
Protein: 303g
Carbs: 150g
Fat: 49g
Sodium: 3983mg

Cardio
45 minutes, Low-intensity
Posing

5 Days Out
Calories: 2698
Protein: 273g
Carbs: 304g
Sodium: 3524mg

Cardio
30 minutes, Low-intensity
Posing

Training
Legs/Calves depletion workout

MB28

Awards
4 Days Out
Calories: 2528
Protein: 275g
Carbs: 259g
Fat: 48g
Sodium: 3492mg

Cardio
30 minutes, Low-intensity
Posing

Training
Back/Bicep depletion workout

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
You must really be looking forward to it with it being this close. Good luck!

My first (official) match of the season is this sunday...so i'm amped for that.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Oh boy... as the days wind down your anxiety must be kickin up. Are you needing to take a sleep aid?

MB28

Awards
Oh boy... as the days wind down your anxiety must be kickin up. Are you needing to take a sleep aid?

Sleep aid, hardly, lol. I am super-pumped about this weekend, however I am so tired by the end of the day I literally feel like passing out just walking up the stairs of the house.

Needless to say, once my head hits the pillow I am out in minutes.

MB28

Awards
3 Days Out

Calories: 2386
Protein: 289g
Carbs: 215g
Fat:46g
Sodium: 3168mg

Cardio
30 inutes, Low-intensity
Posing + Posing routine

Training
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps depletion workout

2 Days Out (Today!!!!)

Calories: 2301
Protein: 293g
Carbs: 175g
Fat: 46g
Sodium: 2860mg

Cardio
20 minutes, Low-intensity
Posing + Posing routine

Training
30 minutes light circuit (whole body)

IT'S GAME TIME BABY!

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Good Luck Matt! Kick some butt brother!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good luck , cant wait to see pics and hear how you did!

MB28

Awards
Thanks for all of the support everyone!

1 Day Out

As far as eats go, I had 30g of carbs at breakfast and will begin my carbup :woohoo: at 5:30, eating ~10-20g Pro and ~30-40g CHO every two hours up until bedtime (I will probably get 4-5 of these meals in).

I'll be heading over to Grand Valley to meet up with a couple of my buddies and will be staying in their apartment over night and heading to the contest venue with them Saturday morning.

This will most likely be my last post until either Saturday night or Sunday afternoon.

:bb:

MB28

Awards
Results:

I ended up placing 2nd in the Open Men's Tall class. There was some tough competition that showed up. The winner of my class was a late-30's early 40-'s year old. Personally, I think I may have been slightly leaner than he was, but he definitely had more mass overall and surely more muscle maturity. I'd happy with the 2nd place finish, edging out some of the other competitors that I placed higher against in my class.

The overall winner had an amazing physique. He's a member of the Chicago Police Department and was just built like a rock. Being only 27 years old, seeing him has giving me a goal of what type of physique I hope to achieve in the next 5-6 years.

And finally... everyone together now, "second verse, same as the first..."

I will now be continuing my prep for the upcoming show on May 31. Sunday I did 45 minutes of cardio while eating roughly 300g protein, 125g CHO, and 50g fat. Today it will be back to hitting the weights.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the 2nd place finish!! Did you get pics from the show?

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Good Job Brother! I'm sure there were a lot of people there and the competition was tight...silver is certainly never anything to be ashamed of. Congratulations!

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Congrats Matt! Second place is always terrific unless it's a fight to the death :eek:

Keep up the great work, perhaps first place is only two weeks away ;)

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
congrats, brotha! second place is a great achievement! that guy had plenty of years of training on you - imagine how much more size you could have in that amount of time! a lot of people say bb'ers are in their prime at around age 35, so you have a while to go. keep it up, man, and you'll have that gold in no time! :clap2:

MB28

Awards
Alright, time to get back to it.

Sunday was slightly lower carbs with a 45 minute cardio session thrown into the mix.

12 Days Out (Monday)

Calories: 2390
Protein: 302g
Carbs: 180g
Fat: 51g

Cardio
20 minutes low-intensity (post-workout)
30 minutes low-intensity in the evening

Training
Back/Shoulders

11 Days Out

Calories: 2171
Protein: 306g
Carbs: 132g
Fat: 48g

Cardio
30 minutes low-intensity (AM) + Abs
20 minutes low-intensity (PM)

Tomorrow is going to be a much needed refeed day along with what will hopefully be a fairly intense leg workout.

Norwegian

Norwegian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Congrats on a second place finish !

How about some contest pics, bro ?!

MB28

Awards
Congrats on a second place finish !

How about some contest pics, bro ?!

Thanks a bunch!

I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to get the pictures uploaded from his camera. He's been busy with work all week and sadly he was the only person who took pictures for me at the contest.

MB28

Awards
10 Days Out (Wednesday)

Protein ~275g
Carbs ~300g
Fat ~45g

Worked legs and did 20 minutes on the stair-stepper post workout. Went back later in the evening and did 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

Overall it felt good to increase my carb intake for the day. The leg workout went alright except I managed to tweek my back a bit on the Hack Squat machine (of all things) on just my 2nd working set. I felt as though my form wasn't an issue, as I definitely was not going near as heavy as what I have before. My back was pretty stiff for the rest of the workout so I just took it (pretty) light, sticking around the 12-15 rep range for the rest of the workout. Today (Friday) it feels MUCH better, however I will be taking it easy on any lower-back work coming up, whch really shouldn't be an issue anyway leading up to the competition as I will be doing depletion workouts all throughout next week.

9 Days Out (Thursday)

Protein ~300g
Carbs ~180g
Fat ~50g

Hit Chest and Arms. My back felt stiff at the beginning of the workout, but after about 20 minutes into it I didn't even notice it. Followed the workout with 40 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

8 Days Out (Back on track!)

Macros similar to Thursday

Focused on my back today followed by a few sets for shoulders. I focused more on form, really trying to "squeeze" out each rep. I also did more pull-down type of exercises taking much of the strain off of my lower back in an attempt to not aggrivate it once again, however I did do a few sets of chest-supported rows which didn't bother my back at all.

I followed up the workout with 30 minutes on the treadmill.

MB28

Awards
Sorry all for not updating this as regularly as before. Things got very hectic the week before the competition, BUT I am happy to say that I finished 1st in the Open Men's Medium division in the OCB Circle City Championships yesterday!!!!

I lost in the overall to a couple of great competitiors, both of whom actually have their pro cards in different organizations, making it a real treat to be in a posedown with such high caliber athletes!

Pictures taken by the photographer on hand will be up i 24 hours, so Iwill be sure to post a link to some of the pictures once I find them!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone, as well as Matt and MST, for all of your support!

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Sorry all for not updating this as regularly as before. Things got very hectic the week before the competition, BUT I am happy to say that I finished 1st in the Open Men's Medium division in the OCB Circle City Championships yesterday!!!!

I lost in the overall to a couple of great competitiors, both of whom actually have their pro cards in different organizations, making it a real treat to be in a posedown with such high caliber athletes!

Pictures taken by the photographer on hand will be up i 24 hours, so Iwill be sure to post a link to some of the pictures once I find them!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone, as well as Matt and MST, for all of your support!
Congrats on the great finish Matt! :clap2: I'm proud of you brother!
Hit us with a link to the pics when you get a chance.

MB28

Awards
You can see some of the pics of me at http://shutterfly.com/pro/juliecurryphotographycom/ocb2008

In the first album, a large segment of pics of me start on page 5.

In the second album, a large segment of pics start on page 6.

I'm wearing blue trunks. You can also find other pictures of me spread out throughout the two albums, I just haven't had time to look through and write down all of the pages yet.

For identification purposes, this is me: http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/slideshow.jsp?auto=0&aid=768a5498cf436efe30ba&idx=105

spaceclown

spaceclown

On the Rag & it Roks
Awards
  • Established
You can see some of the pics of me at http://shutterfly.com/pro/juliecurryphotographycom/ocb2008

In the first album, a large segment of pics of me start on page 5.

In the second album, a large segment of pics start on page 6.

I'm wearing blue trunks. You can also find other pictures of me spread out throughout the two albums, I just haven't had time to look through and write down all of the pages yet.

For identification purposes, this is me: http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/slideshow.jsp?auto=0&aid=768a5498cf436efe30ba&idx=105
Congrats! You looked great. How tall are ya?