BPS...the man, the myth....the sponsored athlete!

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol: at my own title (don't worry I'm not arrogant, I just thought it had a nice ring to it.)

So anyway, after seeing a few of the sponsored athletes post some information about themselves I thought that I would get in on the action, so without further ado....here it goes....

Screen Name: Big Poppa S
Ht: 5'11
Wt: Current 261lbs, Last comp 208lbs
Sport(s): Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Hockey

So who am I? I've been an athlete all my life, playing everything from hockey to baseball, lacrosse to track, and anything and everything inbetween. I eventually started focusing on hockey playing junior back in Saskatchewan (home province) and University in Ottawa. After I finished up my competitive hockey career I was looking for a new challenge to motivate myself in the gym... luckily enough my girlfriend had just started competing in figure competitions so it was a natural fit for me to take up bodybuilding. Although the training was vastly different from what I had been doing for the last 8 years I immersed myself in it, competing in 3 shows in my first 2 years, placing 4th, 3rd and 2nd at the provincial level. Everything seemed to be going great until my girlfriend got accepted to take Dietetics and Nutrition on the otherside of the country....after much conversation we decided to make the move. Looking back on it I now think it was definitely the right decision however we've spent the better part of the last 2 years trying to recover from the expense and the culture shock. So mainly for financial reasons I haven't done a BB show in the last couple years, however now that we're back on our feet I feel it's time to break out of my shell again.

Being out here on the East coast there are not a ton of BB shows to compete in (they are few and far between) so to fill the gap I have recently taken up powerlifting, and will be competing in the Provincial meet at the end of May (as a MST sponsored athlete!! :head:). I plan on qualifying for the 2009 Nationals either at this meet or at another one later in the summer. Bridging the gap between those shows I will be competing in some strongman/highland games events. Talk about busy!! Finally, in the fall, as long as my body is still holding up I am planning on doing my first BB show in 2 years at a Drug tested show held in New Brunswick. It's going to be a long (but great) year and I am extremely happy to have Matt and MST partnering with me along the way.

Misc Info. Some extras about me..... I am a certified personal endurance and strength trainer, previously owning a PT business prior to my move (gave it up for a steady paycheck, so we could get back on track). I volunteer coach Pee Wee AAA hockey (11 and 12 yr olds), as well as playing on my own "gentlemen's" team during the winter. I also just started assisting with a Spring strength and conditioning program for the same age group of kids that'll run till June....as you can see I like to stay busy! I am also a former GNC (I know they're the devil :smite:) employee, I think I've tried just about every type of supplement you could imagine (no PH's or AAS, just not my style), so if anyone has training or supplementation questions feel free to ask.

It has been and is my lifelong goal to not only give myself a healthy body but to assist all those interested in also achieving their goals so it is an amazing boost to me personally when a company like Millennium Sport Technologies turns the tables to assist me!! Thanks again guys!!! Looking forward to a great year!

:dance:

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
OFF TOPIC: Does MST have a facebook group yet? It seems like FB is a new marketing tool for many companies in the fitness industry....if not anyone have any interest in creating one?

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Hey Steve! Great intro! I personally love the title. I'm proud to have you on board big guy. I see big things coming up for you.

Facebook will happen soon. I'll let you know when we are closer.

Thanks!

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Congrats Steve....easy coast luv bro..

are you competing in the show on the 19th...didnt see it in the post, so im guessing no?

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
great introduction, BPS! best of luck with the PL'ing/BB'ing!

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Steve, congrats with the sponsorship! We have a really nice crew here. I'm really excited about who we have on board!

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
very cool that you are sponsored by MST.
they have some great products!
good luck in this years show prep.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the kind words guys.... I too believe that MST has some extremely good products, otherwise I would never have even signed up for this. That being said I just received a box today!!

2 Kreaceps
2 Codygen5
2 Shred-XS
1 Shred-XS hardcore
1 Ragnarok Warrior Melon
1 Ragnarok Crushing Punch
1 sample-sized Ragnarok Ballistic Blue Raz
1 sample-sized Somnidren-GH

Pics will be posted as soon as I get my laptop from DD.

Congrats Steve....easy coast luv bro..

are you competing in the show on the 19th...didnt see it in the post, so im guessing no?
No, I'll just be watching this one due to the Provincial powerlifting meet at the end of May(DD's not competing either due to this summer being her first dietetic internship and the fact that she would've had to be carb-depleting during finals - which is never advisable), however, WNSO/FAME Maritimes is a go so far, it'll be in October.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the kind words guys.... I too believe that MST has some extremely good products, otherwise I would never have even signed up for this. That being said I just received a box today!!

2 Kreaceps
2 Codygen5
2 Shred-XS
1 Shred-XS hardcore
1 Ragnarok Warrior Melon
1 Ragnarok Crushing Punch
1 sample-sized Ragnarok Ballistic Blue Raz
1 sample-sized Somnidren-GH

Pics will be posted as soon as I get my laptop from DD.

No, I'll just be watching this one due to the Provincial powerlifting meet at the end of May(DD's not competing either due to this summer being her first dietetic internship and the fact that she would've had to be carb-depleting during finals - which is never advisable), however, WNSO/FAME Maritimes is a go so far, it'll be in October.
i want the warrior melon!

too bad man, i may watch this one, the ufc is that night too.! watch george kick some as$

Fame - sounds good...in NB?

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
So....what's everyone's opinion?

Just throwing it out there...... this is what I was figuring so far...

Morning:
2 Shred-XS
3 Kreaceps

Lunch:
2 Shred-XS Hardcore

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
3 Cordygen5
1 scoop Ragnarok

Intra-workout:
AEN Intrabolic - purchased but not shown in above pic.

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Just throwing it out there...... this is what I was figuring so far...

Morning:
2 Shred-XS
3 Kreaceps

Lunch:
2 Shred-XS Hardcore

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
3 Cordygen5
1 scoop Ragnarok

Intra-workout:
AEN Intrabolic - purchased but not shown in above pic.
Sounds like a great plan!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Welcome and congrats! Sorry i'm late...been in bed for two days pretty much, haha.

You should top off that stack with some sleepy happiness! haha. Im only taking zmk right now but fully plan on stacking it together with somnidren soon.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Just received a sample bottle of C-VO2 yesterday.... used it twice already..... and yep, I'm already a believer!

:bow28:

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Seems like it's been forever since I've been on here....My laptop is kaput so I've been trying to log on using my old desktop system (old as in I bought it in 2000) and it's having it's own issues.

The workouts have been going pretty decent, I strained my back a little doing deadlifts but I've rested it up nicely and I'm ready for my max-out week. I'm not sure if I'll have videos for these but I'm going to try (depends if the GF will do it or not).

I'll keep on updating here rather than starting an actual log, so be on the lookout for the max-out updates coming this week!

:squat:

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Max-out Squats

It wasn't too bad but I was really hoping on getting a little more..... regardless I still have almost 4 full weeks of prep before the meet so there's still time for progress, plus I was not wearing a squat suit. Haven't decided if I'm going to use one or not.

FYI - I also forgot to take my camera to get some video, I'll make a note so I remember tonight for Bench.

Squats

10@135
10@225
8@315
5@405
1@435
1@475 - didn't quite make depth, maybe an inch from it.
1@475 - easily made depth
1@505 Personal Best - again, didn't quite make depth, 2 inches to go.

- that's it by the end of that I was pretty tired.

Cardio

No cardio, wanted to make sure that my legs and body were ready and rested for the squats.

Energy Level: I was pumped and ready to go, energy was right where it needed to be. 10/10

Workout Rating: A+, I'm actually quite happy with the lifts as my prior PR was 495 and was no where near depth so there is definite improvement but if I want to get 600 at the meet I've still got a lot of progress to make.

Post Workout Musings: I feel that I'm on-track to make some good lifts, I really just want to get my lifts on the board for my first contest and I'll let the placings end up where they end up.

Macros:
Calories: ~2500 kcal

Water intake: 7 litres

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS
3 Kreaceps

Lunch:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS HARDCORE

Pre-workout:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5-VO2

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
how come only 3 kreaceps/day? Isnt it supposed to be dosed twice a day?

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
It wasn't too bad but I was really hoping on getting a little more..... regardless I still have almost 4 full weeks of prep before the meet so there's still time for progress, plus I was not wearing a squat suit. Haven't decided if I'm going to use one or not.

FYI - I also forgot to take my camera to get some video, I'll make a note so I remember tonight for Bench.

Squats

10@135
10@225
8@315
5@405
1@435
1@475 - didn't quite make depth, maybe an inch from it.
1@475 - easily made depth
1@505 Personal Best - again, didn't quite make depth, 2 inches to go.

- that's it by the end of that I was pretty tired.

Cardio

No cardio, wanted to make sure that my legs and body were ready and rested for the squats.

Energy Level: I was pumped and ready to go, energy was right where it needed to be. 10/10

Workout Rating: A+, I'm actually quite happy with the lifts as my prior PR was 495 and was no where near depth so there is definite improvement but if I want to get 600 at the meet I've still got a lot of progress to make.

Post Workout Musings: I feel that I'm on-track to make some good lifts, I really just want to get my lifts on the board for my first contest and I'll let the placings end up where they end up.

Macros:

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS
3 Kreaceps

Lunch:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS HARDCORE

Pre-workout:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5-VO2
Great squat session Steve! You are putting up some great numbers.

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
lookin' good, S! how's the S-XS-HC treatin' ya? i just ran out of my bottle that I used every morning and switched to Adrenalean. i haven't been getting anything out of the A-lean at all. i miss me some Shred! :(

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Maxed out bench tonight, although I'm not very happy with it so I'm not going to post the vids. As you can see below my lifts wouldn't have been accepted so there's still room for progress

Bench Press

10@135
10@225
8@315
3@355
1@385 - this would have counted as I paused and pressed perfectly.
1@405 - I paused fine but struggled on the press, holding the weight for a count of 1 on your chest really makes this hard
1@405 - once again was able to hold the pause easy but struggled with the press.
1@425 Personal Best- I put on the extra weight just so that I could feel it at arm's length, but I ended up giving it a shot, and although I didn't use a pause I was actually able to get this for a new PR!

Cardio

30 minutes on the reincumbant bike done this morning. Probably going to start walking on the treadmill again just so that I can maintain my cardio/endurance.

Energy Level: Good energy level, can't complain there. 9/10

Workout Rating: A, even though I was a little unhappy with not being able to get legitimate lifts I understand that there's still room for progress and that keeps me motivated, plus busting out a new PR is always nice.

Post Workout Musings: Deadlifts tomorrow and then I'll know where I'm at with the "big three", still got around 4 weeks of prep so there's still some time. We've also decided to stage a "mini-meet" with some other guys who are doing their first meet, there's going to be some judges helping us out so that we're all ready for Provincials.

Macros:

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS
3 Kreaceps

Lunch:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS HARDCORE

Pre-workout:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5 - back to the original!

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
how come only 3 kreaceps/day? Isnt it supposed to be dosed twice a day?
Only 3 because I'm also using Ragnarok later in the day. I find that people take way too much creatine, I'm a firm beliver in the law of diminishing returns so taking more doesn't always mean more progress.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Great squat session Steve! You are putting up some great numbers.
Thanks Matt, check out the bench results from yesterday...I'll be doing the deads tonight, there's still room for progress over the next 4 weeks, I am also going to start experimenting with a squat/deadlift suit and a bench press shirt, so the max's might jump up a bit next time around.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
lookin' good, S! how's the S-XS-HC treatin' ya? i just ran out of my bottle that I used every morning and switched to Adrenalean. i haven't been getting anything out of the A-lean at all. i miss me some Shred! :(
having..... trouble...... maintaining....... focus....... avatar.... is.... too...... powerful!!

Thanks, I've been loving my Rag-Cord5-SXS pre-workout combo, it's been awesome! I've been energized big-time for all my workouts. I've also noticed a pretty decent stim effect with the Shred HC as well. I'm actually going to adjust it and take the SHC in the mornings with my Kreaceps and then take the SXS prior to my workouts. I'm feeling that I really don't need to take 3 servings of thermos a day right now as I'm really not trying to cut hard yet. I know what you mean though as the last few thermogenic/stim products I've tried (prior to the combos above) really haven't given me much (although Sub-Q by Fusion was pretty good).

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Well for the third day in a row I did a max-out last night. It was deadlift day and I really had high hopes of setting some new PR's.

Deadlifts

10@135
10@225
8@315
5@405
1@455
1@495 - went up real easy.
1@545 - FAIL - only 3 quarters way up
1@545 - FAIL - by this one I was wiped out and had nothing, only half way up.

Cardio

30 minutes on the reincumbant bike and 15 minutes on the X-trainer done in the morning prior to work - gotta make sure that I stay in the right weight class for the meet at the end of the month! :D

Energy Level: Energy was really good, but Deads are so exhaustive that by the end I was dying out quickly. 8.5/10

Workout Rating: A, Although I'm happy with how easily 495 went up I think I made a mistake by going straight to 545, should've sent to 525 first. In actuality I had 2 50 pound plates on the bar and was also using a 50 pound bar so all the lifts above 315 are probably close to 15 pounds heavier, but without actually weighing each plate/bar I can't verify exact amounts

Post Workout Musings: I have previously done up to 565 in deads but that was starting by pulling it off the rack, going down and actually using some momentum (almost bouncing it off the floor). For the meet it has to be lifted directly off the floor so I'm still working on that.

NOTE: For my next Deadlift day I'll be doing "rack pulls" to work on my sticking point...... also on my next Bench assist day I'll be doing some board work (i.e. 2x4 running down the middle of my chest) to also work a sticking point. Finally over the next 2-3 weeks I will be trying out a squat/deadlift suit and a bench shirt...... so stick around as some PR's might be getting SMASHED!!!

Macros:
Calories: ~3000 kcal - had a Prime Rib Sub from Quizno's. :D

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Just gave my two weeks notice at work..... just accepted a job as a payroll and benefits coordinator.

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Just gave my two weeks notice at work..... just accepted a job as a payroll and benefits coordinator.
Congrats on the new job and the sick lifts :cheers:

Strong numbers on both the bench and deadlift especially raw. Once you are using a shirt and suit those numbers are going to climb instantly :head:

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
What was your old job? Congrats on the new one!

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
What was your old job? Congrats on the new one!
Group benefits plan administrator with an insurance/financial company.

Just bought a new computer this weekend. HP, 3GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, and I did the upgrade to the 22" widescreen panel monitor. I'm a little pumped about it right now!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I got a new one 2 months or so ago...not nearly as stacked as yours, haha, but nice :)

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
I got a new one 2 months or so ago...not nearly as stacked as yours, haha, but nice :)
Yeah, I got way more than I needed, but it was on sale so it was the best deal.... regardless, the way technology is going it was "outdated" before I even bought it.... lol!

EXTRAS

Although they weren't scheduled, I did a Bench assist workout on Friday and a Back Assist workout on Saturday. They both felt really good. I did some board presses on Friday rather than the close grip bench press and was able to do:

10@135
10@225
10@315
5@365
3@405
3@405
5@365
5@365

All done with ample pause at the bottle and were all pressed to lockout without any assitance. So it's nice to see that I'm still making progress, the board presses should help out alot. As for back I didn't add in the rack pulls yet, they'll be done tonight for 10 sets of 3 at 90% of my max. Then next week I'll be back to full Deadlifts, I'm just trying to throw some extra's in to help me progress as my prep time is slowly dwindling away. Some guys were actually amazed that I was willing to do a meet with less than 2 months of actual powerlifting under my belt, but I'm of the opinion that you learn the most by doing, so I'm tossing my hat in the ring as soon as I can!

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift day

I've moved Deads and Squats around to try and maximize my energy for the week, choose to do rack pulls today to work a little on my sticking point. There's really not enough time to really work on sticking points, etc, but I can still get a day or two in that might help me out a little.

Rack Pulls

10@135
10@225
8@315
5@405

3@495
3@495
3@495
3@475
3@475
3@455
3@455
3@425
3@425
3@405

Total weight lifted: 20,460lbs - nice!

Cardio

None, ~DD~ started her internships and has to get on the road pretty early so we don't have the time to get it done in the mornings. I figure the only time I'm going to have available for some cardio will be on my assist days and possibly the weekend so I'll be making a little bit of an adjustment.

Energy Level: Energy was awesome, but I was definitely wiped out after the 10 sets. 9.5/10

Workout Rating: A+, I love doing rack pulls, you can lift a tremendous amount of weight. 3 sets of 3 at 495 was really awesome, I almost wish I had more time to prepare so that I could really work hard on these and improve my full deadlifts.

Post Workout Musings: The workout was plain awesome, it was hard but I was able to persevere. Hopefully, it'll help me a little with my sticking point as I really focused on exploding out of the hole.

Macros:
Calories: ~3000 kcal - although this many kcals really powers the workout, it almost feels like too much right now as I feel totally full throughout the day, probably will drop it back down to 2500

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift Assist day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was late getting to the gym last night as ~DD~ had the car. I had to rush it alittle but still put together a decent deadlift assist day. However, my lower back is crazy sore so I took it relatively easy as well.

V-Grip Pulldowns

12@210
10@230
8@250

Wide grip Cable Rows

12@200
10@220
8@240

Barbell Shrugs

12@225
12@315
- didn't go any heavier due to back stiffness/soreness.
- no "holds" either.

Machine Preacher Curls - it was crazy I've actually been noticing alot of improvement in my arms since starting my powerlifting training, guess it's true that the old basics are always the best!!

12@120
10@130
8@140

DB Hammer Curls

12ea@40
10ea@45
8ea@50

Cardio - done after workout.

I rushed the workout so I was able to get 25 mins in on the reincumbant bike, the workout and cardio took 50 minutes total.

Energy Level: Energy wasn't a problem, even though it was later on in the evening, although I had some crazy heartburn during cardio. 8.5/10

Workout Rating: B+, I'm satisfied with this workout because I think it's about the best I could have done under the circumstances, no problems with it at all.

Post Workout Musings: Probably won't be able to work out tonight as my GF has the car again and I have to coach Spring hockey at 7:30 until 9:00, gym closes at 10, and the GF usually doesn't pick me up from work until around 5ish, maybe I can still get some lifting in just can't waste any time when I'm there...... we'll see....

Macros:

Water intake: 7.0 litres

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS Hardcore
3 Kreaceps

Afternoon:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS
3 Cordygen5
1 scoop Ragnarok

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Bench Day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So instead of moving my bench workout back a day I was able to get to the gym with enough time (although slightly rushing) to get it done. I don't want to push too many things back as next week I start a new job and you never know what kind of time you're going to have available.

Bench Press

10@135
10@225
5@315 -these felt really difficult - I didn't realize how much energy switching deadlifts and squats around would take out of my upper body.

3@335
3@335
3@315
3@315
3@355
3@335
3@335
3@355
3@355
3@335

Total weight lifted: 15,285 - ouch... not good!

Cardio

I skated with the spring hockey team that I'm helping coach, it's not really good cardio but by the end I have a decent sweat on.

Energy Level: Energy was okay, I was a little tired from the upper body/back work done over the last 2 dats. 7.5/10

Workout Rating: B+, this one wasn't great by any means but I kept trying to push it hard, (see the "wave" style in my sets), so I was at least pushing it with all I had left.

Post Workout Musings: I think my body just has to adjust to this split, maybe I should go back to doing squats first, but with roughly 3 weeks left before the meet I'm not going to worry about too much (I'll make a decision when I plan out my post-meet workout schedule). I'm sure the switch-up is keeping my body "guessing", so a little muscle confusion can't hurt.

Macros:
Calories: ~2500 kcals

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5

Intra-workout:
1 scoop Intrabolic

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Incline Barbell Press

12@135
12@225
10@245
8@275

DB Shoulder Press

12@60
10@80
8@100

Weighted Dips

12@BW (bodyweight)
10@BW + 25
8@BW + 50

Tricep Pressdowns

15@210
15@210
15@210

Cardio

Was late getting to the gym again due to "the better half" having the SUV, so no cardio was completed. Man, I gotta get back on track, not only to maintain my "wind" but also to ensure that I stay in the right weight class

Energy Level: Energy was really top-notch. 9/10

Workout Rating: A, the upper body got a real amazing pump and burn from this workout, my chest was already so pre-exhausted that the inclines, shoulder presses and dips were all extremely tough!

Post Workout Musings: Time is getting short, but my workouts are going great, I'm starting to get a little excited/nervous for the meet, gotta send all the fees today and book my hotel......can't wait!!

Macros:

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS-HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
1 Fish Oil
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5

Intra-workout:
1 scoop Intrabolic

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Everything's lookin great man...keep it up!

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
Looking great in here Steve. I really like your new split. I think once you adjust to it it will really pay off. Your numbers are looking really strong and you are going to do really well.

Now we just have to get you a second car :D

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Now we just have to get you a second car :D
Quoted for truth.... but I think that's on the back burner until after we purchase a house..... oh yeah and after I finally buy a ring.... :jaw:

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts

Been a little lazy on the updates for the last couple days.... I've continued to make some changes to my lifting schedule as the meet draws closer, I've wiped out the "Assist" days so that I can focus all my energry on working on my 3 main lifts (working with the suits as well), so I'll be doing the lifts on 3 consecutive days taking 1 day off and then repeating until it's meet time.

Deadlifts

10@135
10@225
8@315
5@405

3@455
3@455
1@495
1@495
1@515
1@515 - fail, was wiped out.
3@455
3@455

Cardio

None.

Energy Level: Energy was awesome, using the suit for the first time took alot out of me. 9.5/10

Workout Rating: A, the workout felt really good, but I still need more practice with the suit.

Post Workout Musings: Progress is continuing quite well.... not much longer

Macros:
Calories: ~2500

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
No workout last night, a few people from work took me out for a nice big supper as today is my last day with this company (start tomorrow with my new job). Also seeing as today is my last day, I'm going to be taking it real easy, not too much work being done at my desk... if you know what I mean. Tonight will be my bench day, I'll be using the bench shirt so I won't be doing the 10 sets of 3, it'll probably end up being more of "mountain", continually increasing weight and decreasing reps until I "peak" than decreasing weight and increasing reps on the way down.

:woohoo: LAST DAY! :woohoo:

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Haven't done much updating lately as there hasn't been much to update, a busy schedule (new job, etc) has been making it difficult to get to the gym and when I have got there I've had some horrible lifting days. A previous back injury has been reaking havoc all down my right leg, I've been experiencing numbness, and a major loss of strength in that leg. I've been trying to get in to see a chiropactor or a RMT but any time that is good for me is already booked up, as well my group benefits don't come into effect for another 2 and a half months so it'll be all out of my pocket. I really want to get in to see someone before the meet (yes, I'm still going through with it). I'll try to keep some posts going as I get closer, especially if by some miracle I get better....

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
My deadlift day wasn't actually that bad last night. Even though I am still suffering from what I've mentioned above, I am still continuing my prep for my meet on May 31st. I have been in contact with a RMT and hopefully I will be ablle to get in there next week while I am in my resting phase prior to the meet. Last night I did the following:

10@135
10@225
10@315
3@405
1@455
1@495
1@525

I completed these with relative ease, even the final sets weren't too bad, although I'm still not where I was prior to injuring myself. Hopefully the time I take off next week will give me a little more strength/energy back. Tonight will be bench press (shirt assisted) and I'll probably try to go real big if I can. We'll see how it goes....

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
So I finally got a chance to use the bench shirt yesterday... and let me tell you, those things are not even the least bit comfortable. I have bruising on my chest, back, triceps, and even some in my pits....... but it definitely works.

Bench Press

10@135
10@225
5@315
3@365
1@405
- this is where I put the shirt on.
1@405
- readjusted as it wasn't feeling right.
1@405
1@425
1@445 - NEW PR!
- realistically I proabably have a little more in me to go heavier, but the combination of all the warmups and it being my first time using the shirt I decided that this was enough.

Cardio

Just some light biking, I didn't even keep track of the time.

Energy Level: I was excited about trying this all day so my energy was great. 8.5/10

Workout Rating: A+, it's going to take some getting used to but I think the shirt is really going to come in handy for the meet, although I definitely need a partner to get it on.

Post Workout Musings: As I said above, the shirt is really going to help especially since I'll need a good bench to cover the ground I'm losing on deads and squats due to my current injury. Regardless, I'm giving it all I've got and I'll let the "chips land where they may". Besides, there will be a couple more chances to qualify for Nationals this summer.

Macros:

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5

Millennium 1

Millennium 1

Awards
  • Established
So I finally got a chance to use the bench shirt yesterday... and let me tell you, those things are not even the least bit comfortable. I have bruising on my chest, back, triceps, and even some in my pits....... but it definitely works.

Bench Press

10@135
10@225
5@315
3@365
1@405
- this is where I put the shirt on.
1@405
- readjusted as it wasn't feeling right.
1@405
1@425
1@445 - NEW PR!
- realistically I proabably have a little more in me to go heavier, but the combination of all the warmups and it being my first time using the shirt I decided that this was enough.

Cardio

Just some light biking, I didn't even keep track of the time.

Energy Level: I was excited about trying this all day so my energy was great. 8.5/10

Workout Rating: A+, it's going to take some getting used to but I think the shirt is really going to come in handy for the meet, although I definitely need a partner to get it on.

Post Workout Musings: As I said above, the shirt is really going to help especially since I'll need a good bench to cover the ground I'm losing on deads and squats due to my current injury. Regardless, I'm giving it all I've got and I'll let the "chips land where they may". Besides, there will be a couple more chances to qualify for Nationals this summer.

Macros:

Morning:
1 Fish Oil
1 Multi
2 Shred-XS HC
3 Kreaceps

Pre-workout:
2 Shred-XS
1 scoop Ragnarok
3 Cordygen5
Great session Steve! Bench shirts work great but are certainly uncomfortable! LOL Nothing like being pinched and bruised from benching. Wait until you blow one out (a bench shirt). That's fun :D

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Did some work with the squat suit, a different belt and some different knee wraps last night, and was able to do a 455 squat easy. I'm taking it easy this week to fully recover for the weekend so I didn't bother going any heavier, and that weight will probably be my opener for squats. Tonight I'll be practicing with the bench shirt and some different wrist wraps. I'll go up to about 425, as I'm thinking that weight will be a good opener for bench. This will be my last lifiting session before the meet. As I'm not using a suit for deadlifts I'll just be resting from them until the meet. The opener for deadlifts will be 495.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Worked the bench shirt and "competition" wrist wraps last night, worked my way up to 405, put on the shirt and wraps, then did a couple singles at that, bumped it up to 425, did a couple more singles, then went back down to 405 and finished up with a couple more singles with perfect form (all pauses). Even at 425 there's still quite a bit of strength there so, that'll just be my opener, and I'll go from there, maybe 455 for my second, and if I get that I'll go all out for a 495 on my third. It's funny/sad that my bench is almost as good as my squat, hopefully after the event I'll be able to rehab my lower back and right leg so that I can get back to where I was prior to the injury. Anyways, that was my last lifting session, I'll probably still go to the gym over the next couple days but probably just do some biking to keep the blood flowing and to help maintain that "gym" mentality.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
Update...

So I thought I would make a quick update on my meet from last weekend. It was a long day of lifting because I competed in both the open 3 lift meet and the open bench only meet. It actually went so long that it was too late and I was too tired to head home so I had to get a hotel room for another night. Anyways, I ended up winning my weight class (125 - actual weigh-in weight: 124.4) in both the open 3 lift and the open bench. I also set new PR's for "competition-strict" lifts in bench, squats and deads and was able to make 8 out of 12 attempts. All-in-all, I am extemely happy with my lifts this weekend, I was very nervous going into the first lift (squats) due to the injuries I'm had but everything came out awesome! I am now focusing on reducing my weight (and waisline).

Top lifts:
Dead: 245kg - 540.13lbs
Squats: 215kg - 474lbs
Bench: 195kg - 430lbs

totals: 655kg - 1444.13lbs

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
I did some biceps, triceps and calves last night. Not going to crazy or anything just want to let my body recover a little. I'll still be working on my "big 3" lifts, but I'll be getting back to doing some normal workouts ASAP. I've wanted to try a fascia stretching workout program for awhile and I think that this will be as good of a time as any. Over the next few weeks I'll also be ramping up the cardio quite a bit, but I'll be keeping tabs on whether I'm losing strength as that's really not my goal at the moment.