Low Ferritin

steve999

Awards
A recent blood test showed my ferritin level at 18 ng/mL (range 8-282).

I've heard low ferritin is somewhat common for hypothyroid folks like myself.

Any thoughts?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
A recent blood test showed my ferritin level at 18 ng/mL (range 8-282).

I've heard low ferritin is somewhat common for hypothyroid folks like myself.

Any thoughts?
It takes a while to raise ferritin, use iron pills.
Taking iron pills cause constipation.
In my experience, constipation passes after about 2 weeks of use.
Therefore I suggest starting slow on those pills.
I was using 2x/day at first now 2pills twice a day.
But I suggest that you use one pill for a 2 weeks then increase according to your constipation status.
Eventually, no constipation at all.
Stool remains dark while on pills.

I use:
Iron Protein Plus, 300 Mg 100 Capsules
=============================================
If you want to test your blood from iron status point of view,
I collected this tests (below), someone on the know, please comment on completeness of this set of tests.
=======================
• Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (7573X) - (356N)
• Iron, Total (571X) - (24984P)
• Ferritin (457X) - (22764P)
• Transferrin (891X) - (30346P)
• Folate, RBC & Hematocrit - (1768N)
• Hemoglobin A1c (496X) - (45484P)
• Hemoglobin, Plasma (514X) - (7211P)
=========================

Hemochromatosis - Diagnosis, Treatment, Maintenance and Diet
Hemochromatosis: Diagnosis - Treatment - Maintenance and Diet

Diagnosis - How Do You Find Out
Hemochromatosis Diagnosis: Test to Diagnose - Iron Overload Diseases Assn.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Low ferritin can result from hypothyroidism which can cause an elevation in nitric oxide production which can eventually lower cortisol output,and a whole mess of metabolic disorders which I am currently researching their relationship to the hormone system. People taking NO2 products need to be aware that 3 guys I know myself included have induced a b-12 defieincy from using them for extended amounts of time..

steve999

Awards
Low ferritin can result from hypothyroidism which can cause an elevation in nitric oxide production which can eventually lower cortisol output,and a whole mess of metabolic disorders. . . . . .
Can you elaborate on the "whole mess of metabolic disorders"? And could there be a relationship to secondary testosterone issues?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Can you elaborate on the "whole mess of metabolic disorders"? And could there be a relationship to secondary testosterone issues?
Yepper low testosterone is in there as well from elevated nitric oxide and if you have this I would not take fish oils or stop them ASAP because they are making you worse !!

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Yepper low testosterone is in there as well from elevated nitric oxide and if you have this I would not take fish oils or stop them ASAP because they are making you worse !!

Is there a test for elevated NO?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Is there a test for elevated NO?
Speciallized cellular testing could reflect this in hidden results.
I am seeing a reoccuring pattern over and over again with males on TRT.. I am speculating that there may be a genetic compomene of over active NOS enyzme. Nitric oxide is fine but it can be converted in free radicals if it goes down the wrong pathway causing a lot of neurological problems. This can be a genetic malfunctioning in BH4 enyzme which is defeiincy in many diseases which i am starting to thorughly research and will be the medicine of the future. Only hand ful on people in USA comprehend this stuff. I am going to be one of them..

steve999

Awards
Is low ferretin associated with a low platelet count? I was reviewing some old bloodwork records, last night, and it looks like my platelet count has been at the very low end of the range for at least 10 years. No old ferritin tests to compare though.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Is low ferretin associated with a low platelet count? I was reviewing some old bloodwork records, last night, and it looks like my platelet count has been at the very low end of the range for at least 10 years. No old ferritin tests to compare though.
Low platelets can come from excess nitric oxide which come from fish oils..

steve999

Awards
Low platelets can come from excess nitric oxide which come from fish oils..
I don't take fish oil supplements, or any supplements for that matter. Any other causes?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I don't take fish oil supplements, or any supplements for that matter. Any other causes?
every guy on TRT seems to stimualte NOS pathway which increases nitric oxide.

superone

Awards
  • Established
Low ferritin can result from hypothyroidism which can cause an elevation in nitric oxide production which can eventually lower cortisol output,and a whole mess of metabolic disorders which I am currently researching their relationship to the hormone system. People taking NO2 products need to be aware that 3 guys I know myself included have induced a b-12 defieincy from using them for extended amounts of time..

I just found the following out regarding Ashwagandha below, does this mean Ashmagandha should be something to stay away from?

"The increase in acetylcholine receptor capacity may account for some of the cognitive-boosting benefits of Withania extracts. The effects on nitric oxide metabolism are quite interesting also...

Induction of nitric oxide synthase expression by Withania somnifera in macrophages.

Iuvone T, Esposito G, Life Sci. 2003 Feb 21;72(14):1617-25.

Withania somnifera (ashwagandha, Indian ginseng) is an immunostimulant herbal medicine used to improve overall health and prevent diseases, particularly in the elderly. However, the mechanisms underlying its immunostimulant effect is poorly understood. To elucidate the mechanism of Withania somnifera, we investigated the effect of a methanolic extract from the root of Ashwagandha on nitric oxide (NO) production in J774 macrophages. We found that ashwagandha produced a significant and concentration-dependent increase in NO production. Moreover, western blot analysis showed that Ashwagandha increased, in a concentration-dependent fashion, inducible NOS protein expression. These results demonstrate that ashwagandha may induce the synthesis of inducible NOS expression likely by acting at transcriptional level. The increased NO production by macrophages could account, at least in part, for the immunostimulant properties of ashwagandha."

Thanks in advance for the help.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I just found the following out regarding Ashwagandha below, does this mean Ashmagandha should be something to stay away from?

"The increase in acetylcholine receptor capacity may account for some of the cognitive-boosting benefits of Withania extracts. The effects on nitric oxide metabolism are quite interesting also...

Induction of nitric oxide synthase expression by Withania somnifera in macrophages.

Iuvone T, Esposito G, Life Sci. 2003 Feb 21;72(14):1617-25.

Withania somnifera (ashwagandha, Indian ginseng) is an immunostimulant herbal medicine used to improve overall health and prevent diseases, particularly in the elderly. However, the mechanisms underlying its immunostimulant effect is poorly understood. To elucidate the mechanism of Withania somnifera, we investigated the effect of a methanolic extract from the root of Ashwagandha on nitric oxide (NO) production in J774 macrophages. We found that ashwagandha produced a significant and concentration-dependent increase in NO production. Moreover, western blot analysis showed that Ashwagandha increased, in a concentration-dependent fashion, inducible NOS protein expression. These results demonstrate that ashwagandha may induce the synthesis of inducible NOS expression likely by acting at transcriptional level. The increased NO production by macrophages could account, at least in part, for the immunostimulant properties of ashwagandha."

Thanks in advance for the help.
If you have low adrenals yes high adrenal out put no since no2 lowers cortisol levels this is a good thing for hyper adrenals back for low..

superone

Awards
  • Established
Okay great, thanks a lot for the help.

Yes i have low Adrenals and i take 32.5mg of Cortef daily, and 200mg of elemental iron daily. Im not hypothyoid but i have a high Reverse T3 ratio, and my adrenals couldnt tolerate any T3 when i tried a month ago or so. Ive been told that the only way to get rid of high Reverse T3 is to take straight T3 medication to drive the Reverse T3 out. My Ferritin also didnt budge after taking 100-150mg of elemental iron for over 1 month, which means that this high Reverse T3 is messing me up.

Do you have any suggestions of anything else i can do or take besides the Cortef, so my adrenals get strong enough to tolerate the T3 to drive the Reverse T3 out?

Thanks.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Okay great, thanks a lot for the help.

Yes i have low Adrenals and i take 32.5mg of Cortef daily, and 200mg of elemental iron daily. Im not hypothyoid but i have a high Reverse T3 ratio, and my adrenals couldnt tolerate any T3 when i tried a month ago or so. Ive been told that the only way to get rid of high Reverse T3 is to take straight T3 medication to drive the Reverse T3 out. My Ferritin also didnt budge after taking 100-150mg of elemental iron for over 1 month, which means that this high Reverse T3 is messing me up.

Do you have any suggestions of anything else i can do or take besides the Cortef, so my adrenals get strong enough to tolerate the T3 to drive the Reverse T3 out?

Thanks.
Examine zinc, selenium, potassium deficiency
also examine the dhea/cortisol ratio cortisol increases reverse t-3 as well as starvation, low insulin levels, excessive adrenaline will as well..

superone

Awards
  • Established
Examine zinc, selenium, potassium deficiency
also examine the dhea/cortisol ratio cortisol increases reverse t-3 as well as starvation, low insulin levels, excessive adrenaline will as well..

Thanks Matrix.

My sodium was a bit low so i take natural sea salt, and also to boost adrenal function, but potassium was pretty good. I balance the sea salt with some potassium rich foods.

Since taking Cortef my DHEA-S dropped to 0.5 ( Range 7.6 -17.4 ), so to almost nothing. Ive been told this is due to the Cortef lowering or surpressing ATCH, and this is what allows the adrenals to heal while my body runs off the Cortef im using. Before the Cortef my DHEA-S was always around 3.2 - 5.0, this is when i blew my adrenals out with these so called exercise stimulants that i was told nothing about regarding how they could blow out your adrenals. I tried taking the compounded DHEA from my pharmacy but it just made me have less energy and feel high like or brain fog,ect. Ive read DHEA can lower Cortisol so thats probabbly what it was doing. I definetly didnt feel clear headed on it, and it probabbly converted straight into Estradiol as my adrenals are still healing and Cortisol reserves arent up yet.

How long does it take to fully heal Adrenal Fatigue? Im thinking about becoming a raw vegan eating only organic, including superfoods in my diet like goji berries, camu camu berries, some raw cocao, bee pollen, marine phytoplankton, fresh wheatgrass juice, fresh vegetable juice, sprouts, sprouted beans, sea vegetables, chlorella, spirulina, blue green algae, coconut oil, hemp seed, aloe vera, medicinal mushroms,ect. Mabye this will help me heal as ive read this is the best type of diet for longevity and health.

Thanks for the help.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix.

My sodium was a bit low so i take natural sea salt, and also to boost adrenal function, but potassium was pretty good. I balance the sea salt with some potassium rich foods.

Since taking Cortef my DHEA-S dropped to 0.5 ( Range 7.6 -17.4 ), so to almost nothing. Ive been told this is due to the Cortef lowering or surpressing ATCH, and this is what allows the adrenals to heal while my body runs off the Cortef im using. Before the Cortef my DHEA-S was always around 3.2 - 5.0, this is when i blew my adrenals out with these so called exercise stimulants that i was told nothing about regarding how they could blow out your adrenals. I tried taking the compounded DHEA from my pharmacy but it just made me have less energy and feel high like or brain fog,ect. Ive read DHEA can lower Cortisol so thats probabbly what it was doing. I definetly didnt feel clear headed on it, and it probabbly converted straight into Estradiol as my adrenals are still healing and Cortisol reserves arent up yet.

How long does it take to fully heal Adrenal Fatigue? Im thinking about becoming a raw vegan eating only organic, including superfoods in my diet like goji berries, camu camu berries, some raw cocao, bee pollen, marine phytoplankton, fresh wheatgrass juice, fresh vegetable juice, sprouts, sprouted beans, sea vegetables, chlorella, spirulina, blue green algae, coconut oil, hemp seed, aloe vera, medicinal mushroms,ect. Mabye this will help me heal as ive read this is the best type of diet for longevity and health.

Thanks for the help.
VEgan diets induce adrenal fatigue so that be a dumb ass move to tell you the truth. We do not just hand out cortef like other dr's i examine your lifestyle and indept testing to find the imbalance then correct it from there. Alot ofpeople are nutritionally out of balance and do not have the building blocks to make their own hormones. identifying the cause is primary goal then coming up with game plan from there. Alot of people on cortef end up solving the problem short term but cause down regulations for long term.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Matrix.

Thanks for the help.
I would use that money and do
NutrEval
test at Genova diagnostics.

add

Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 (CDSA 2.0/P)

=========================

"a dumb ass move to tell you the truth" ------ Yes

superone

Awards
  • Established
VEgan diets induce adrenal fatigue so that be a dumb ass move to tell you the truth. We do not just hand out cortef like other dr's i examine your lifestyle and indept testing to find the imbalance then correct it from there. Alot ofpeople are nutritionally out of balance and do not have the building blocks to make their own hormones. identifying the cause is primary goal then coming up with game plan from there. Alot of people on cortef end up solving the problem short term but cause down regulations for long term.

Hey Matrix, can you please explain how vegan diets induce adrenal fatigue? Im VERY interested in this as ive spent the last 3 months straight researching this and watching youtube video's from experts in the feild such as Gabriel Cousens, David Wolfe, Brian Clement ( director of the Hippocrates Health Institute, where people have healed their cancers and many other chronic diseases by eating their recommended raw diet,ect, ), Mitchell May,ect.

There is also a book called " The China Study " which the authors did a 50 year clinical trial and found out that people who ate animal products, meat, and dairy, had the most diseases and were the sickest, compared to people who didnt eat animal products and ate raw plant based foods,ect.

::: THE CHINA STUDY :::

Im very interested to know why a raw vegan diet consisting of these superfoods i mentioned would cause adrenal fatigue. I didnt plan on eating anything cooked or steamed, only totally raw, and only the best superfoods in the world. I planned on getting a good amount of protein from this product. I also planned on getting healthy fats from a bit of Avocado, Coconut oil, hemp seed, and there is DHA and EPA in Marine Phytoplankton without any of the toxins from fish,ect. I also planned to eat very little sugar, only in the monring.

Sunfood Nutritionâ„¢ - Your Source for Raw Superfoods!

I planned on taking a bacterial whole food form of vitamin B-12, Angstrom Zinc, Vitamin C, MSM,ect, and all the superfoods i mentioned contain more minerals than any animal product, plus when you cook animal products you lose half of the protein and amino acids and when the fats in them get cooked i beleive they become a carcinogen.

Thanks for the help Matrix im VERY interested in this as ive been studying this and researching this 24/7 for atleast the past 3 months and from everything ive read and saw it looked like this was the best way to go.

rjsiwelhj

Awards
Ok

I have low ferritin, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, low normal platelets.

Hmmmm

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hey Matrix, can you please explain how vegan diets induce adrenal fatigue? Im VERY interested in this as ive spent the last 3 months straight researching this and watching youtube video's from experts in the feild such as Gabriel Cousens, David Wolfe, Brian Clement ( director of the Hippocrates Health Institute, where people have healed their cancers and many other chronic diseases by eating their recommended raw diet,ect, ), Mitchell May,ect.

There is also a book called " The China Study " which the authors did a 50 year clinical trial and found out that people who ate animal products, meat, and dairy, had the most diseases and were the sickest, compared to people who didnt eat animal products and ate raw plant based foods,ect.

::: THE CHINA STUDY :::

Im very interested to know why a raw vegan diet consisting of these superfoods i mentioned would cause adrenal fatigue. I didnt plan on eating anything cooked or steamed, only totally raw, and only the best superfoods in the world. I planned on getting a good amount of protein from this product. I also planned on getting healthy fats from a bit of Avocado, Coconut oil, hemp seed, and there is DHA and EPA in Marine Phytoplankton without any of the toxins from fish,ect. I also planned to eat very little sugar, only in the monring.

Sunfood Nutritionâ„¢ - Your Source for Raw Superfoods!

I planned on taking a bacterial whole food form of vitamin B-12, Angstrom Zinc, Vitamin C, MSM,ect, and all the superfoods i mentioned contain more minerals than any animal product, plus when you cook animal products you lose half of the protein and amino acids and when the fats in them get cooked i beleive they become a carcinogen.

Thanks for the help Matrix im VERY interested in this as ive been studying this and researching this 24/7 for atleast the past 3 months and from everything ive read and saw it looked like this was the best way to go.
I can not tell you how many of my clients have come to me feeling like crap and I start probing to the source of the problem and time frame and what changed. It was there vegan kick for 3-6 months that resulted in down regulation of endocrine hormones because you are not getting the proper building blocks to make them. YOu do not know how many people I started back from vegan and their over all health have improved dramatically. My fiancee was a vegetarian and I got on her case. When I sat down and explain to her that you did this to your self not eating meat for year ending up with hormones that are so out of balance it almost ended up costing our relationship. I ran the rheins test and her progesterone to estrogen ratio was 30:1 and was suppose to be 300-500:1 !. I ran more evasive test and her minerals where so out of wack from not eating properly that it was adding more fuel to the fire so to speak. Shes back to eating eggs and getting her eating fish, but meat is out of the question, but she finally realized that how eating is so important.. LAMENS TERMS SETTING YOUR SELF UP FOR MORE STRESS ON ADRENALS..

No crap they had more diseases it because their ancestors were rice burners and fish eaters NOT MEAT EATERS. You take person raise up on fish and rice through them into a society of meat they will get sick same as you through american in to a society of raw fish and long enough they will get sick because they do not have the thousands of years ancestory to help them ward of the parasites.

superone

Awards
  • Established
Thank you very much Matrix i appreciate your help.

If you dont mind can you tell me what the optimal diet would be for optimal hormone production, health, and longevity?

Also i was wondering what do you think about the use of Propecia for hairloss?

Thanks so much for the help.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you dont mind can you tell me what the optimal diet would be for optimal hormone production, health, and longevity?
Wow - I am really looking forward to his opinion; especially as it relates to a diet for optimal hormone production.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thank you very much Matrix i appreciate your help.

Also i was wondering what do you think about the use of Propecia for hairloss?

Thanks so much for the help.
PROPECIA IS A DEATH SENTENCE FOR YOU **** ..
STops hair loss loose your balls nice trade off.

There is no one specific diet for optimal hormones. IT is based on indiviudal needs and several factors. I wish there was a candy cutter answer, but unfortunately there's not.

For longevity it has been shown lower caloires are the secret. and high antioxidents. First you need to identify the missing links then back fill the holes with the missing ingredients.

AGING IS
50% diet and lifestyles,
30% genetics
20% hormone balance

70% we have control over and its up to you

superone

Awards
  • Established
Thanks very much Matrix again i appreciate your help. Sounds very interesting.

I forgot to ask you if you prescribe your patients or clients HGH, and do you think that it can decrease longevity, as IGF-1 has been linked to prostate, colon, and breast cancer. Ive also read it can cause bad cells or mutated cells in your body from being destroyed, or something like that.

I mean HGH in the right doses and not too high can make you look and feel better, but im just wondering at what cost.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks very much Matrix again i appreciate your help. Sounds very interesting.

I forgot to ask you if you prescribe your patients or clients HGH, and do you think that it can decrease longevity, as IGF-1 has been linked to prostate, colon, and breast cancer. Ive also read it can cause bad cells or mutated cells in your body from being destroyed, or something like that.

I mean HGH in the right doses and not too high can make you look and feel better, but im just wondering at what cost.
I am not a medical dr, but work together with one to bring the best of both worlds. When it comes to gh, dr's due to all the FDA regulation will not prescribe gh unless there is a clinical defeiincy. For people that at low end of totem pole there are transdermal creams that work very well called Trans d tropin. Its about 125 for 6 weeks and has had very good results in the past. If GH look look towards insulin imbalnace since they are antagonistic. If you are out of phyisoliogical range and you have precancerious cells then you are incresaing your chances of cancer. That is why gh is a very touchy subject with dr's have be well trained in this aspect. We had a guy with IGF of 71, we are exploring other areas and if nothing is found then he needs to expert in endocronology.

superone

Awards
  • Established
I am not a medical dr, but work together with one to bring the best of both worlds. When it comes to gh, dr's due to all the FDA regulation will not prescribe gh unless there is a clinical defeiincy. For people that at low end of totem pole there are transdermal creams that work very well called Trans d tropin. Its about 125 for 6 weeks and has had very good results in the past. If GH look look towards insulin imbalnace since they are antagonistic. If you are out of phyisoliogical range and you have precancerious cells then you are incresaing your chances of cancer. That is why gh is a very touchy subject with dr's have be well trained in this aspect. We had a guy with IGF of 71, we are exploring other areas and if nothing is found then he needs to expert in endocronology.

Thanks Matrix, have you personally seen results with Trans-D Tropin? Ive read about it a while ago and they claim it increase HGH levels while decreasing IGF-1 levels, though its tough to beleive when the people selling the product did the trials and studies, and are telling you this,ect.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I have an on-topic question here...

I also have low ferritin and tried taking 18mg iron for a month. It increased blood iron almost over the top, but ferritin very little. How do you increase ferritin without getting a toxic level of iron in your blood?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have an on-topic question here...

I also have low ferritin and tried taking 18mg iron for a month. It increased blood iron almost over the top, but ferritin very little. How do you increase ferritin without getting a toxic level of iron in your blood?
Some things can interfere with iron absorption. Lack of hydrochloric acid in the stomach is a big reason. Person on a low salt diet might not be getting enough chlorine (the Cl in NaCl) and therefore not able to produce enough HCl. Taking a good digestive enzyme with the iron supplement should assist the absorption.

Too high an alkaline diet might interfere since iron needs an acid environment. Eat more acid foods with your iron. Too much roughage in the diet can speed up intestinal transit time and reduce iron absorption. Too much coffee, tea, phytates (from grains), oxalates (spinach, rhubarb), and phosphates can all interfere with iron absorption.

There are nutrients which need to be present for iron absorption: B-12 (try a high potency, 3000 mcg); folic acid (400-800 mcg); vitamin C (1000 mgs); vitamin A; copper; calcium; manganese; molybdenum; and other of the B complex vitamins.

Excessive intake of vitamin E and zinc can interfere with iron absorption. Vitamin E in amounts like 800-1000 IU per day can cause iron deficiency (causing ear aches). Don't take more zinc than iron, since that can also deplete iron.

If all else fails, you might want to experiment with different levels of the B vitamins. It may be that you need more B vitamins and need to get up the the 200 mgs per day quantity. However, I'd try the other things first.

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Great thread.

Just to ask also, I think one of the poster's was asking about a RAW vegan diet, which would include no cooked/processed foods.

Do you really think animal products are a necessity in one's diet?
And for what reason?