Liver Enzyme ALT

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.36%

Liver Enzyme ALT

I am making this email I wrote to a knowledgeable user public...

As I have been inquiring about using something that would help with my partially torn rotator cuff, I did a physical exam last week and my results were ready yesterday.

It turns out that everything is fine, but the ALT enzyme came back high at 120. The doctor told me to retake the test and advised to get an abdominal ultrasound, as well as a hepatic panel. I had Hepatitis-A when I was 18 and I only drink on Fridays and Saturdays (2 or 3 drinks max). What's your take on this? I have read a lot about the reasons why ALT can be high but really I won't know until I have those tests retaken.

I take Omega-3 Fish oil daily at 2 pills a day and one-a-day multivitamins. I have added Super Cissus Rx for my shoulder.

I'd appreciate your guys' take on this. Thanks

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.44%

Smile

Hi.
    I had very bad alt and (whats the other one) I was on a full fledged months long drinking binge too. I started taking milk thistle the 1000mg standardized extract from walmart, well a couple of months later, while still drinking, my liver enzymes returned to the normal range. FYI. Im not drinking anymore.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.51%

I don't drink and my ALT was high also. But, I was hammering like 3000mg of amoxycillin for sinusitis 10 days before the bood work.

Some drugs like this are known to raise ALT levels. You on anything else? Meds? Massive vitamins?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.36%

I was on One-A-Day multivitamins, two 2400 mg Omega-3 Fish Oil, and two Super Cissus Rx tabs a day.

I was on Relafen for a while, and Naproxen too; but that was long before I had the blood work done. I haven't been on anti-inflammatories for a while now.

I did have three drinks on the Friday before the test, and two beers on Saturday. The test was Thursday of last week
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.27%

You may not want to hear this... but if you have liver damage, don't drink. That's an easy change to make, then look to supps and drugs and dietary change, but that would be my change #1.

I am somewhat biased, I did use to drink, now I don't. I stopped for other reasons -- fitness, vanity and realizing that I like the sober me better...

Mark
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    You may not want to hear this... but if you have liver damage, don't drink. That's an easy change to make, then look to supps and drugs and dietary change, but that would be my change #1.

I am somewhat biased, I did use to drink, now I don't. I stopped for other reasons -- fitness, vanity and realizing that I like the sober me better...

Mark
    Did you work out the day before the test or morning of the test? If ALT then examine choline levels this usually lowers ALT as well as milkthistle 80% standardized.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.36%

I ran like 2 miles the day before, no weight training though
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.26%

I had elevated AST and ALT - doc did a

liver ultrasound and liver biopsy. Turns out I have NASH/NAFLD - fatty liver with thus far no scarring. Completely retooled diet, quit drinking and got more exercise on top of a few supplements. All enzymes back in normal range after 6 months of treating my body better.
  9. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanWA View Post
    liver ultrasound and liver biopsy. Turns out I have NASH/NAFLD - fatty liver with thus far no scarring. Completely retooled diet, quit drinking and got more exercise on top of a few supplements. All enzymes back in normal range after 6 months of treating my body better.
    Duncun I think I told you that a long time ago and did not need no testing to figure that one out. I beleive 80% of american have some degree of it one way or another.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.98%

I had elevated AST and ALT, then took the test again 6 weeks later and both were normal. I vote for redo before getting too concerned.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.26%

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Duncun I think I told you that a long time ago and did not need no testing to figure that one out. I beleive 80% of american have some degree of it one way or another.
    How do you assume you do or do not have liver scarring/damage without testing? HUGE difference between fatty liver disease and actual liver damage but without testing where are you?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
  2. High ALT liver enzyme
    By tallbikerguy in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 01:44 AM
  3. High ALT liver enzyme
    By tallbikerguy in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 03:04 PM
  4. High ALT liver enzyme
    By tallbikerguy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 11:02 PM
  5. Cholesterol/Liver enzyme test during PCT?
    By NYhomeboy in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM