Time to seek out an endocrinologist?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Time to seek out an endocrinologist?

I'm a 30 year old male (5'11 160lbs) and recently had a physical exam and blood tests performed by my GP. Due to those results I was asked to take a few more related to thyroid function, total testosterone, etc.. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of my lab results so I can only state the results I remember.

Total cholesterol was 210
    HDL 19
    TSH (first time was 5.4, second was 4.3)
    Total testosterone was 212

My GP wanted to start me on synthroid due to the TSH value since it's supposed to be 3 or less. I declined to start medication since there seems to be multiple issues at hand. I would think seeking out an endocrinologist would be a better idea before taking medication.

(Mods, I am not sure if this is appropriate but if it is not feel free to remove this portion of the post. ) I am seeking out a good recommendation for an endocrinologist in the San Francisco area. Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.94%

Do not see an endocrinologist......I have yet to hear of even one give good advice.

See a DO.

I will never in 1000 lifetimes see another endocrinologist.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Quote Originally Posted by spinn View Post
    Do not see an endocrinologist......I have yet to hear of even one give good advice.

See a DO.

I will never in 1000 lifetimes see another endocrinologist.
    Thanks for the reply, Spinn. I will have to look into a DO here in San Francisco. I'm new to this area so I don't know anyone to ask.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.43%

1. YOU NEED TO TEST HYPO/PITUITARY AXIS. YOU DON'T KNOW
    IF YOUR HYPOTHALAMUS IS SENDING LHRH TO YOUR TESTES
    BY A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST, IF YOUR LH LEVELS ARE HIGH YOUR TESTES NEED TO BE EXAMINED IF YOUR LH IS LOW THEN THE PROBLEM LIES WITH EITHER YOU R PITUITARY NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY OR THE THALAMUS IS'NT SENDING LHRH TO THE PITUITARY . TRY HCG 1000IU AND SEE IF YOUR TEST RISES OR CLOMID 50MG ED AFTER 4 DAY'S SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RESULTS .DON'T BE EFFENDED BUT i DO HAVE A MASTERS IN YOU
    KNOW WHAT AND CHEM DEGREE IN STEROID DESIGN (ORGANIC AND SYNTHETIC) CO. NUTRA-SPORT HRT! !
    YOUR TOTAL TEST SHOULD BE 450-800 AND YOUR rHGH MEASURED IN IGF-1 SHOULD ALSO BE REVIEWED
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Quote Originally Posted by shlong View Post
    1. YOU NEED TO TEST HYPO/PITUITARY AXIS. YOU DON'T KNOW
    IF YOUR HYPOTHALAMUS IS SENDING LHRH TO YOUR TESTES
    BY A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST, IF YOUR LH LEVELS ARE HIGH YOUR TESTES NEED TO BE EXAMINED IF YOUR LH IS LOW THEN THE PROBLEM LIES WITH EITHER YOU R PITUITARY NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY OR THE THALAMUS IS'NT SENDING LHRH TO THE PITUITARY . TRY HCG 1000IU AND SEE IF YOUR TEST RISES OR CLOMID 50MG ED AFTER 4 DAY'S SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RESULTS .DON'T BE EFFENDED BUT i DO HAVE A MASTERS IN YOU
    KNOW WHAT AND CHEM DEGREE IN STEROID DESIGN (ORGANIC AND SYNTHETIC) CO. NUTRA-SPORT HRT! !
    YOUR TOTAL TEST SHOULD BE 450-800 AND YOUR rHGH MEASURED IN IGF-1 SHOULD ALSO BE REVIEWED
    Thanks for the recommendation. Today I'll be looking for a DO or a clinic that might be able to do those tests for me. Do you recommend blood or urine for the LH test? Thanks again!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.43%

endogenous test. levels

Quote Originally Posted by brwnsuga View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Today I'll be looking for a DO or a clinic that might be able to do those tests for me. Do you recommend blood or urine for the LH test? Thanks again!
    I'm sure the right Dr. with a background in HRT/TRT will opt
    for the more efficient Blood test. however there are some simpler
    tests for singular tests that are piss tests. He should be looking
    at your FREE test. levels as well as estradiol / T ratio and SHBG/
    albumin levels are very important since these are the guy's that
    bind to any androgen (test., Deca, Trenbolone, masteron) and render them useless. Good luck
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Thanks so much for your help, shlong. I'm reading up as much as I can on those hormones and tests so I can ask the right questions before settling on a Dr to help.
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

Dr. Shippen has a book (Amazon has it) that covers the various hormonal interactions and roles in detail.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Dr. Shippen has a book (Amazon has it) that covers the various hormonal interactions and roles in detail.
    Would it be this? Amazon.com: The Testosterone Syndrome: The Critical Factor for Energy, Health, and Sexuality--Reversing the Male Menopause: Eugene Shippen: Books
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%

Yes it is. There is also another book I have, something like Maximizing Vitality for Men Over 40, or something that sounds similar. I'll try to check the title tonight, but for the most part, it covers the same subject as the Shippen book.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Yes it is. There is also another book I have, something like Maximizing Vitality for Men Over 40, or something that sounds similar. I'll try to check the title tonight, but for the most part, it covers the same subject as the Shippen book.
    Thanks, Beau. Ordering that and a copy of Adrenal Fatigue Amazon.com: Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome: James L. Wilson, Johnathan V. Wright: Books
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%

Thanks, Beau. Ordering that and a copy of Adrenal Fatigue http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigu...3837982&sr=8-1
    I saw that book recently, and thought about buying it (I buy way too many books). Would you mind posting a book report of sorts, once you've read Adrenal Fatigue?
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

I saw that book recently, and thought about buying it (I buy way too many books). Would you mind posting a book report of sorts, once you've read Adrenal Fatigue?
    NP! Found out about Adrenal Fatigue via the mesomorphosis forums. If you get a chance look at some of the posts from Dr. Mariano (his username is marianco on mesomorphosis).
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%

NP! Found out about Adrenal Fatigue via the mesomorphosis forums. If you get a chance look at some of the posts from Dr. Mariano (his username is marianco on mesomorphosis).
    Will do, thanks!
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Compilation of dr Marianco's posts, post #45:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-...tml#post919223
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    Compilation of dr Marianco's posts, post #45:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-...tml#post919223
    That is just amazing! Thank you so much!
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Got an appt with Dr. M next month so lets see how it goes. Also got some results back on my second cholesterol tests (taken 3 weeks from the first). Can back with HDL 55, LDL 149, Total 214. Not sure what's going on there. Either the lab messed up the first time or the few small changes I made to my diet worked. Only other thing I can think of is I started taking some ActivateExtreme to help boost my T and low libido
  18. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Got an appt with Dr. M next month so lets see how it goes. Also got some results back on my second cholesterol tests (taken 3 weeks from the first). Can back with HDL 55, LDL 149, Total 214. Not sure what's going on there. Either the lab messed up the first time or the few small changes I made to my diet worked. Only other thing I can think of is I started taking some ActivateExtreme to help boost my T and low libido
    I started with chol~240
    First used Red Yeast Rice
    now nothing.
    The better I tune up my body the better cholesterol falls into place on its own.

Hopefully same thing will happen with my glucose=112
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.76%

It would probably be a good idea to lay off some of the suppliments until after Dr. M does your lab work. You definately want him to get the true picture.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    It would probably be a good idea to lay off some of the suppliments until after Dr. M does your lab work. You definately want him to get the true picture.
    Thanks, I am a month out so I am stopping everything except the usual protein shakes, creatine, and vitamin/mineral supplement. I have been taking a Zinc Magnesium supplement at night, should I stop that as well?
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Finished reading Adrenal Fatigue a few days ago. This book is meant more for the average couch potato. The basic information given about the adrenals and relations to other organs and processes in the body was nice, but I found the rest of the book to be a bit useless. One example was the section on getting rid of people who affect you negatively. This just didn't seem very plausible. One patient he recommended contacting her mother less often and a few others he recommended new jobs. I don't think this is really feasible for most of us. He makes some basic recommendations for diet, but I think since most of us train regularly we already do most of these things. A few supplements were mentioned, but not in enough detail for me. I would have liked to see specific information on blood tests, interpretations, and suggested doses of these items since they are readily available as supplements or OTC. I think for those that believe they have AF, it would be best to look at the postings of Dr. M as linked by JanSz. Dr. M mentions that he was working on a book in one of his postings. I think this would probably be more in line to what I was expecting from this Adrenal Fatigue book.
  22. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%

Finished reading Adrenal Fatigue a few days ago. This book is meant more for the average couch potato. The basic information given about the adrenals and relations to other organs and processes in the body was nice, but I found the rest of the book to be a bit useless. One example was the section on getting rid of people who affect you negatively. This just didn't seem very plausible. One patient he recommended contacting her mother less often and a few others he recommended new jobs. I don't think this is really feasible for most of us. He makes some basic recommendations for diet, but I think since most of us train regularly we already do most of these things. A few supplements were mentioned, but not in enough detail for me. I would have liked to see specific information on blood tests, interpretations, and suggested doses of these items since they are readily available as supplements or OTC. I think for those that believe they have AF, it would be best to look at the postings of Dr. M as linked by JanSz. Dr. M mentions that he was working on a book in one of his postings. I think this would probably be more in line to what I was expecting from this Adrenal Fatigue book.
    Thanks - you saved me some time and money. I'll keep my eyes out for other sources of information on Adrenal Fatigue.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%

I couldn't agree more, avoid the endo at all costs. He'll give you a small amount of Androgel and call it a day. Find someone willing to balance out the hormone mess. If you're going the TRT route find someone experienced in administering proper therapy. T+HCG+AI if needed.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Quote Originally Posted by brentf13 View Post
    I couldn't agree more, avoid the endo at all costs. He'll give you a small amount of Androgel and call it a day. Find someone willing to balance out the hormone mess. If you're going the TRT route find someone experienced in administering proper therapy. T+HCG+AI if needed.
    Thanks, brenf13. I'll be asking about T+HCG+AI when I see Dr. M as I have been feeling really lethargic, lack motivation, etc...
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

Had my first visit with Dr M. It went very well. He spent about 2.5 hours questioning and examining me. Ordered up a lot of tests as well. So far it looks like I am hypothyroid and have slight adrenal fatigue. Will be starting on 2 grains of Armour Thyroid tomorrow. Is there anything I need to look out for when going straight to 2 grains from nothing? Thanks for your input.

Similar Forum Threads

1. When is it time to see an endocrinologist
    By airram479 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM
  2. 51 y/o in seek of energy
    By MgoBlue in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 08:21 AM
  3. DCP and tta and my stack - seek pro. advice
    By freakabe in forum Supplements
    Replies: 41