SHBG, Insulin Resitance, diet, etc

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SHBG, Insulin Resistance, diet, etc

It's been brought to my attention in the past that low SHBG is associated with insulin resistance.

I have low SHBG, not below range but right at the bottom. I've never looked into insulin resistance until now, but it sounds like it's something I should definately look into when I read about the symptoms on this link:

Insulin resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About a month ago I finished a low-carb (ketogenic) diet that I had been on for 2 months. I have to say I felt great on it, far less bloated (actually little to no gas at all on it) and no drop in energy at all, if anything I felt this low carb diet did me better than a normal diet! Is this a further sign that I may be insulin resistant? Is a low carb diet much better for people who do have insulin resistance? Or would you say low GI would be better than low carb in general for people with insulin resistance?

I know that I have metabolic issues, and I personally think switching back to low carb may do me some good. Any thoughts on this from people with more knowledge/experience?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
It's been brought to my attention in the past that low SHBG is associated with insulin resistance.

I have low SHBG, not below range but right at the bottom. I've never looked into insulin resistance until now, but it sounds like it's something I should definately look into when I read about the symptoms on this link:

Insulin resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About a month ago I finished a low-carb diet that I had been on for 2 months. I have to say I felt great on it, far less bloated (actually little to no gas at all on it) and no drop in energy at all, if anything I felt this low carb diet did me better than a normal diet! Is this a further sign that I may be insulin resistant? Is a low carb diet much better for people who do have insulin resistance? Or would you say low GI would be better than low carb in general for people with insulin resistance?

I know that I have metablic issues, and I personally think switching back to low carb may do me some good. Any thoughts on this from people with more knowledge/experience?
Do yourself a favor and use a good reference...wikipedia is a poor choice to trust. I never heard about this issue, but I feel the need to do some researching myself now.

phatkid77

Awards
  • Established
in too felt gr8 low carb, same thing, no gas/bloat...but it really is NOT GOOD LONG TERM, and most feel its dangerous..

phats

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
in too felt gr8 low carb, same thing, no gas/bloat...but it really is NOT GOOD LONG TERM, and most feel its dangerous..

phats

Yeah, it's def not good on the thyroid...but I think with carbup days it's fine...as long as they are low GI carbs...just skimming the border of ketosis should be fine.

I read that insulin resistance can lead to fatty liver, and maybe a fatty liver doesn't have proper bile flow + function, could be why I can't seem to raise my cholesterol. Too bad there's no conclusive tests for IR.