tempted

namtrag

namtrag

Awards
I am tempted to start popping the synthroid samples that I got from my doctor, just to see if it helps. My metabolism has become slower than a hibernating sloth's.

Any danger in trying it? I am half joking and half serious.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
I am tempted to start popping the synthroid samples that I got from my doctor, just to see if it helps. My metabolism has become slower than a hibernating sloth's.

Any danger in trying it? I am half joking and half serious.
Why did the doc give you samples? What are your thyroid numbers?

I tried taking iodine for a week and wasn't able to sleep AT ALL for several days... I assume something similar (or worse) is possible with synthroid.

namtrag

namtrag

Awards
TSH: 3.129 (.35-5.50)
T3: 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
T4, Free (Direct): 1.31 (.61-1.76)

Of course, my family doc who did the test said my numbers were fine. But he gave me the samples and said, if you really want to try it go ahead. Just let me know if you start having sweats, or your heart starts racing.

Classic hypo build:

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
But he gave me the samples and said, if you really want to try it go ahead. Just let me know if you start having sweats, or your heart starts racing.
LOL, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but my natural doc wanted to put me on armour (natural thyroid) if my TSH went over 2.0 ... after the iodine, mine went back to 1.5 and stayed, so I didn't need anything else.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Of course, my family doc who did the test said my numbers were fine. But he gave me the samples and said, if you really want to try it go ahead. Just let me know if you start having sweats, or your heart starts racing.

Classic hypo build:

You probably ment FreeT3: 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
=(2.9-2.3)/(4.2-2.3)=0.32

so you are missing 68% of FreeT3
Keep on adding slowly until you reach about 2.5 -3 grains/day
or your restfull pulse is always over 80

Good idea to check adrenals first.
If you check them (adrenakls) latter and find out that you need cortef, be even more careful, to prevent thyroid dump.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Classic hypo build:

I don't know that you have a classic hypo build. You dont look like you are carrying that much fat, particularly for your height and weight.

In any event, your TSH is somewhat elevated and many alternative docs would suggest that you are hypo and to get the TSH under 2.0. The Synthroid should accomplish that, and hopefully get the free T3 and T4 up. (Note, Jan's instructions pertain to Armour Thyroid, and if I were you, I would not be concerned about getting my free T3 to the top 25%.)

If I were you, I would start at 37.5 mcgs; that's what I started on, and my numbers were pretty similar to yours, though my TSH was lower.

If you get killer headaches or heart palps for more than a few days, stop and call your doc.

GL.

namtrag

namtrag

Awards
This is after 3 years of mostly on dieting and busting my ass in the gym, and I am still 20% bf...lol

5'8" 210lbs

I guess not bad, but certainly not what I would have expected after 3 years.

I appreciate the advice though, it's a tough decision whether to self medicate!