Swollen Lymph Nodes

spinn

Awards
  • Established
In addition to all the typical HRT issues, about six months ago I developed a hydroechoic nodule and swollen lymph nodes.

I am aware swollen lymph nodes can indicate a number of things, but what should I be looking for/thinking about?

And what type of DR works on this sort of thing? Please do not say Endo.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lymph nodes are basically part of the lymphatic system that house white blood cells/antibodies and trap bacteria/contain pathogens along the way.

You're right that it can indicate many things in general(systemic/localized infection, malignancy). It largerly depends on where it's located(meaning it's either a localized area or has systemic involvement involving multiple sites), the size/consistency of the node(s), and the duration of node enlargement. No need to freak out, but i'd get it checked as a precautionary measure.

Your Primary Medical Doctor can order some tests and do a good physical exam to help determine the cause of lymph node involvement. If a specific referral is needed he can make it at that time.

spinn

Awards
  • Established
He could....if he wasnt advising me to ignore it ....hes done, I fired him. I think I fire 87% of the DRs I se lately, I guess I am just too demanding.

I had an ultrasound done and they found the nodule that he said I should ignore. I realize it is not likely to be malignant but I do think he should of ordered a biopsy.

The swollen lymph nodes are in my throat just above my chest and swallowing is getting difficult. They are so swollen I can even feel it on the back of my neck when I lean back against a chair.

Given my overall fatigue and feelings I think I have some sort of ongoing infection......but what kind? I did have an AIDS test and a lyme disease test and both came up negative.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
He could....if he wasnt advising me to ignore it ....hes done, I fired him. I think I fire 87% of the DRs I se lately, I guess I am just too demanding.

I had an ultrasound done and they found the nodule that he said I should ignore. I realize it is not likely to be malignant but I do think he should of ordered a biopsy.

The swollen lymph nodes are in my throat just above my chest and swallowing is getting difficult. They are so swollen I can even feel it on the back of my neck when I lean back against a chair.

Given my overall fatigue and feelings I think I have some sort of ongoing infection......but what kind? I did have an AIDS test and a lyme disease test and both came up negative.
I agree with firing your doctor. I'd get in to see another PMD and get a second opinion. There are a million things that can cause what you've described with the lymph nodes you've described(cervical/posterior cervical, and possibly what sounds like supraclavicular based on your description).

I encourage you to get another dr. and voice your concerns about it. If you have decent insurance and don't need to have a consult through your pmd you can always try following up with an infectious disease physician to rule things out. I totally understand how you feel. Peace of mind is very important.