Blood Pressure problem or what?

SHaneA655

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have a scenerio,.

I get hot in the face everytime i go to a doctor appt, nervous situation, appt with a client sometimes, etc.. I am not a nervous person at all either. I also sweat under arm pits when i am in hot place or in a doctor office or around and uncomftorable situation. I have been on prohormones and proscar for years off and on. Could that be result. I cant quite tell what it is.

I think when i checked my BP under one of these conditions it was 130/90??maybe? Is that high> they said my BP was fine. So what else could it be if it isnt that? Hyperhidrosis since i sweat under arms everyday almost and my face gets hot if i am sitting still and hot place???Let me know.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
130/90 isn't too terribly high. But it isn't great. 120/80 is generally considered optimal. The lower the better to a certain point.

SHaneA655

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I dont think its blood pressure at all. Who knows. BUt has to be something.

MacDonnell

Awards
I dont think its blood pressure at all. Who knows. BUt has to be something.
Sounds like hot flashes/flushing. It could be related to your thyroid or adrenals. It could also be high estrodiol. Have you had a hormone profile done recently?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
130/90 isn't too terribly high. But it isn't great. 120/80 is generally considered optimal. The lower the better to a certain point.

130/90 is fine. BP changes throughout the day. You have to take into account a lot of different things and take it several times a day and find out the average. You realize that bp can elevate by 20-30 points and different times of the day.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
So, I was on Lisinopril at 20mg/day, it wasn't cutting it.. Now I'm on Lisnopril plus a diuretic and thus far my bp is still in the 140s/70s..

WTF is going on! Anything that has worked for you guys, besides arginine because I tried that and it didn't do much of anything for me :(??

Oh, and I'm the leanest I've ever been, I do cardio 3x per week along with my weight training, and my diet is clean and full of MUFAs PUFAs and Omega3s.. So I don't think any additional work on those things is going to help me.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, I was on Lisinopril at 20mg/day, it wasn't cutting it.. Now I'm on Lisnopril plus a diuretic and thus far my bp is still in the 140s/70s..

WTF is going on! Anything that has worked for you guys, besides arginine because I tried that and it didn't do much of anything for me :(??

Oh, and I'm the leanest I've ever been, I do cardio 3x per week along with my weight training, and my diet is clean and full of MUFAs PUFAs and Omega3s.. So I don't think any additional work on those things is going to help me.

Try L-arginine dosed higher. At least 3 grams per day. Also stack thet with Twinlabs Blood pressure control.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Try L-arginine dosed higher. At least 3 grams per day. Also stack thet with Twinlabs Blood pressure control.
How high do you think on the l-arginine? I was doing between 6 and 10 grams per day.

And, that C12 peptide stuff, is that a natty ACE inhibitor? If it is idk how much good it'd do since lisnopril is a prescription ACE inhibitor and ain't cuttin' the mustard.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How high do you think on the l-arginine? I was doing between 6 and 10 grams per day.

And, that C12 peptide stuff, is that a natty ACE inhibitor? If it is idk how much good it'd do since lisnopril is a prescription ACE inhibitor and ain't cuttin' the mustard.

I only did about 3 grams a day of L-arginine. I don't know the answer about the c12 peptide. I have used it and it worked for me and have heard a lot of good reviews of it.

Blood Pressure Control (60 tabs) By: TwinLab

I was on blood pressure medicine for a while. I increased my cardio and also I started taking Hawthorn berry, which I'm guessing you have tried and now my blood pressure is down and my doctor took me off medication. So I'm happy as s hit!. Sorry to gloat I'm just so happy to be healthy again!. Cardio sure pays off!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I only did about 3 grams a day of L-arginine. I don't know the answer about the c12 peptide. I have used it and it worked for me and have heard a lot of good reviews of it.

Blood Pressure Control (60 tabs) By: TwinLab

I was on blood pressure medicine for a while. I increased my cardio and also I started taking Hawthorn berry, which I'm guessing you have tried and now my blood pressure is down and my doctor took me off medication. So I'm happy as s hit!. Sorry to gloat I'm just so happy to be healthy again!. Cardio sure pays off!
I'd be doing the same thing if I got off my meds. That'd make me realll :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully something works.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have a scenerio,.

I get hot in the face everytime i go to a doctor appt, nervous situation, appt with a client sometimes, etc.. I am not a nervous person at all either. I also sweat under arm pits when i am in hot place or in a doctor office or around and uncomftorable situation. I have been on prohormones and proscar for years off and on. Could that be result. I cant quite tell what it is.

I think when i checked my BP under one of these conditions it was 130/90??maybe? Is that high> they said my BP was fine. So what else could it be if it isnt that? Hyperhidrosis since i sweat under arms everyday almost and my face gets hot if i am sitting still and hot place???Let me know.
Lol - You've just accurately described the classic phenomina known as "White Coat Hypertension." It basically manifests itself through anxiety of situations causing action resulting from the sympathetic nervous system coupled with a sudden release of catecholemines from the adrenal medulla(Nor-epi, Epinepherine, and Dopamine.)

This effectively will cause your blood pressure and heart rate to rise giving a false illusion of a persistent hypertensive state.

This is very similar to the "Fight or Flight" response. Overall this is a very common occurance among many people.

Last edited:
Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Lol - You've just accurately described the classic phenomina known as "White Coat Hypertension." It basically manifests itself through anxiety of situations causing action resulting from the sympathetic nervous system coupled with a sudden release of catecholemines from the adrenal medulla(Nor-epi, Epinepherine, and Dopamine.)

This effectively will cause your blood pressure and heart rate to rise given a false illusion of a hypertensive state.

This is very similar to the "Fight or Flight" response. Overall this is a very common occurance among many people.
word, this happens to me all the time when i go to the doc... but it has a higher effect on systolic compared to diastolic

i normally sit at 112/65 but when i go to the doctors office i'll be at 145/75 i'v even been as high as 170/80 at rest due to bein nervous

if your concerned get a kit and check it when your relaxed at home

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
i used to have this problem in the Dr office. no sweats, but elevated pressure. My Dr would tke my BP at the start of the exam - and ignore it. Then take it again for real at the end of the exam.

think about it, the first thing that happens when you go in for an exam is the cuff goes on.

If you truly have white coat syndrome, you will relax after talking to Dr, and your BP will be lower at the end of the exam.

Also, it was discovered that i need the large cuff. most people just give me the normal cuff, which leads to false high readings as well.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i used to have this problem in the Dr office. no sweats, but elevated pressure. My Dr would tke my BP at the start of the exam - and ignore it. Then take it again for real at the end of the exam.

think about it, the first thing that happens when you go in for an exam is the cuff goes on.

If you truly have white coat syndrome, you will relax after talking to Dr, and your BP will be lower at the end of the exam.

Also, it was discovered that i need the large cuff. most people just give me the normal cuff, which leads to false high readings as well.
This is a very good point as well. Using a cuff that is either too big/small will give false high/low readings. However, based on his response i'd lean towards anxiety being the culprit.

MacDonnell

Awards

This effectively will cause your blood pressure and heart rate to rise giving a false illusion of a persistent hypertensive state.

Interesting to note - Just went to the doc. for my annual physical. As always, the bp was high-ish, due to "white coat hypertension." In the past, he has brushed it off, but this time he mentioned that some docs are abandoning the conventional wisdom when it comes to this phenonemon. They are thinking, now, that if someone is nervous enough to get elevated bp at the doctor's office, maybe there are many other similar, pressure-raising events which occur throughout the day, which, when looked at as a whole, really can constitute high bp. I told him he had a point...and thanks for sharing that because it made me feel much better. (Yes, I was being sarcastic.)

MacDonnell

Awards
if your concerned get a kit and check it when your relaxed at home
Exactly, I did this, and low and behold, the bp is much, much better when it's just me (and the dog) sitting down, relaxing, and taking some deep breaths....but, like I said in my post above, maybe this really isn't an accurate representation of what my life is like most of the time. Who knows?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting to note - Just went to the doc. for my annual physical. As always, the bp was high-ish, due to "white coat hypertension." In the past, he has brushed it off, but this time he mentioned that some docs are abandoning the conventional wisdom when it comes to this phenonemon. They are thinking, now, that if someone is nervous enough to get elevated bp at the doctor's office, maybe there are many other similar, pressure-raising events which occur throughout the day, which, when looked at as a whole, really can constitute high bp. I told him he had a point...and thanks for sharing that because it made me feel much better. (Yes, I was being sarcastic.)
There probably is some merit to the point he made i believe, however he was applying the typical tactic in medicine of CYA.(Cover Your Azz) ;) Honestly i can't say i blame him either.

Significant risk factors alone predispose people to the issue. Family history of and smoking being some of the worst. Persistant states of anxiety can certainly add insult to injury.

MacDonnell

Awards
There probably is some merit to the point he made i believe, however he was applying the typical tactic in medicine of CYA.(Cover Your Azz) ;) Honestly i can't say i blame him either.
Yeah, can't disagree w/ you there, lol. Although, sometimes that kind of thing gets in the way of a truly honest assessment, don't you think?

Significant risk factors alone predispose people to the issue. Family history of and smoking being some of the worst. Persistant states of anxiety can certainly add insult to injury.
The family history thing sucks. That is definitely where I get most of my health issues. Funny though, we are all in good shape, eat properly, exercise (including my parents), but there are these familial tendencies toward high bp, high chol, blah, blah, blah.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, can't disagree w/ you there, lol. Although, sometimes that kind of thing gets in the way of a truly honest assessment, don't you think?
I couldn't agree with you more, however in this day and age when everyone is sue happy, this is not likely to occur anymore.

Things that we would normally be discharged from the E.R. are admitted at times for a plain and simple CYA. If something was missed, the lawsuits start to pile up. It's sad actually, but everyone wants something for nothing these days.

MacDonnell

Awards
I couldn't agree with you more, however in this day and age when everyone is sue happy, this is not likely to occur anymore.

Things that we would normally be discharged from the E.R. are admitted at times for a plain and simple CYA. If something was missed, the lawsuits start to pile up. It's sad actually, but everyone wants something for nothing these days.
Totally agree. Unfortunately, this is just another in a long list of portends of a civilization on the cusp of decline.

abragers

Awards
BP - Too high, OK, perfect - who knows?

The problem with BP guidelines is that there's no consensus on what's OK, IF you decide to educate yourself and take responsibility for your own health, especially if you throw Doc Google into the equation, and you don't want to blindly follow one doctor's advice. For example, my experience:

1. At Doc #1, a patient would be placed in the examining room for a minimum of 10 minutes, before the doc would come in to measure BP, using a mercury Baumanometer. As long as you're under 140/90, he's OK.

2. At Doc #2, a patient is measured immediately by the nurse (takes vitals). After waiting for the doctor, the doctor will remeasure if the first reading was high. If you're under 140/90, he's OK, but would recommend you take steps (exercise, lose weight, prescription meds) to get closer to 120/80. Instrument used is a wall mounted dial.

3. At Doc #3, a patient is measured immediately by the nurse using an auto-inflate wrist cuff device she takes out of her pocket (!). If you're under 140/90, doc's OK with that.

4. New guidelines are issued, saying 120/80 is the top end of OK and people should be below that.

5. Dr. Mercola says the new "be below 120/80" guidelines are only for the benefit of drug companies and whatever happened to the 100-plus-your-age standard (!).

6. Dr. Davis at Track your Plaque says below 120/80 is the target and measurements of peoples from primitive cultures get readings like 90/60. Also, he questions the importance of resting BP and thinks the top BP reached during exercise might be a better indicator. Unfortunately, this can only be measured correctly during a stress test in a doctor's office or at the hospital.

7. Applying for private health insurance, the insurance company is happy if your reading is below 140/90. However, if your reading is consistently at say 138/85 and your doctor puts you on meds to get you to 120/80, the insurance company will quote you an increased premium because you are on BP meds.

8. One study finds that most BP readings are done incorrectly. Variables include: is the device calibrated; has the patient been resting at least 10 minutes; is the patient lying down or sitting; is the arm held out 90 degrees to the body or parallel to the body; is the nurse or doctor's hearing compromised.

And on and on it goes............ :frustrate

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem with BP guidelines is that there's no consensus on what's OK, IF you decide to educate yourself and take responsibility for your own health, especially if you throw Doc Google into the equation, and you don't want to blindly follow one doctor's advice. For example, my experience:

1. At Doc #1, a patient would be placed in the examining room for a minimum of 10 minutes, before the doc would come in to measure BP, using a mercury Baumanometer. As long as you're under 140/90, he's OK.

2. At Doc #2, a patient is measured immediately by the nurse (takes vitals). After waiting for the doctor, the doctor will remeasure if the first reading was high. If you're under 140/90, he's OK, but would recommend you take steps (exercise, lose weight, prescription meds) to get closer to 120/80. Instrument used is a wall mounted dial.

3. At Doc #3, a patient is measured immediately by the nurse using an auto-inflate wrist cuff device she takes out of her pocket (!). If you're under 140/90, doc's OK with that.

4. New guidelines are issued, saying 120/80 is the top end of OK and people should be below that.

5. Dr. Mercola says the new "be below 120/80" guidelines are only for the benefit of drug companies and whatever happened to the 100-plus-your-age standard (!).

6. Dr. Davis at Track your Plaque says below 120/80 is the target and measurements of peoples from primitive cultures get readings like 90/60. Also, he questions the importance of resting BP and thinks the top BP reached during exercise might be a better indicator. Unfortunately, this can only be measured correctly during a stress test in a doctor's office or at the hospital.

7. Applying for private health insurance, the insurance company is happy if your reading is below 140/90. However, if your reading is consistently at say 138/85 and your doctor puts you on meds to get you to 120/80, the insurance company will quote you an increased premium because you are on BP meds.

8. One study finds that most BP readings are done incorrectly. Variables include: is the device calibrated; has the patient been resting at least 10 minutes; is the patient lying down or sitting; is the arm held out 90 degrees to the body or parallel to the body; is the nurse or doctor's hearing compromised.

And on and on it goes............ :frustrate

Awesome post and so true. This new standard of being below 120/80 is crazy. Don't forgot those blood pressure machines at the drug stores/pharmacies. Those are often off by 20-30 points. Some people actually think these machines are accurate. I have been told by most pharmacists that these machines are basically useless and should be ignored.

krogtaar

Awards
Sounds like hot flashes/flushing. It could be related to your thyroid or adrenals. It could also be high estrodiol. Have you had a hormone profile done recently?
dude wtf...your pic shows toooooooo much