Difference between pharmacy compounded DHEA and online DHEA?

superone

Awards
  • Established
I live in Canada, and i dont have a drug plan. My Doctor prescribed me 25mg of DHEA per day and said i have to get it from a compounding pharmacy. So i go there and they say that for a 1 month supply of compounded micronized DHEA 25mg capsules costs $120!!! I told them to hold off on it.

On the internet you can get it for like $10 a bottle lol.

So my question is what is the difference between the pharmacies compounded DHEA and DHEA i can buy online from the U.S.?

Is the pharmacies DHEA bioidentical to our bodies own DHEA, and the online DHEA not?

Any help would be appreciated!

Eric Potratz

Eric Potratz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I live in Canada, and i dont have a drug plan. My Doctor prescribed me 25mg of DHEA per day and said i have to get it from a compounding pharmacy. So i go there and they say that for a 1 month supply of compounded micronized DHEA 25mg capsules costs $120!!! I told them to hold off on it.

On the internet you can get it for like $10 a bottle lol.

So my question is what is the difference between the pharmacies compounded DHEA and DHEA i can buy online from the U.S.?

Is the pharmacies DHEA bioidentical to our bodies own DHEA, and the online DHEA not?

Any help would be appreciated!

Its all the same DHEA, probably from China.

Pharm DHEA is generally going to be more rigorously tested, so you know your getting exactly what the bottle says, instead of a supplement that may be 5-10% under dosed, for example. (not that all supplements are underdosed)

-Pp

panthers

Awards
The stuff is so cheap for them to buy, its all about the same quality. Some a little better absorbed like the micronized you mentioned.Just get it from a company thats been around for awhile and you'll be fine.

4aminsomniac

Awards
You are paying for their labor mostly. How much time do you think it takes them to make 1 capsule? Nonetheless, 30-60 etc..

Also, my pharmacy, when I asked them the same question, said they can use organic/natural fillers per the doctor, and also they feel their quality of DHEA is much better and higher than the cheapest stuff you would get online.

Online, you don't know exactly what you are getting and it is probably some cheap crap from China..I have been saying this for 15 years ago Chinese crap products and Americans..oh, don't get me started on this subject..

namtrag

namtrag

Awards
Bummer, are you near the border where you can drive across and buy it? I know my doctor sells LEF brand stuff.

Or it gives you and excuse to vacation in Ft Lauderdale where you can buy it at their retail store. lol

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
There are some other quality brands... Douglas Labs is another that I have used, available from amazon.

superone

Awards
  • Established
Does Oral DHEA that you swallow work?

Does it matter if they are capsules or tablets?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
Does Oral DHEA that you swallow work?

Does it matter if they are capsules or tablets?

In my personal experience, swallowed DHEA did not bring my levels up nearly as fast as sublingual.

superone

Awards
  • Established
In my personal experience, swallowed DHEA did not bring my levels up nearly as fast as sublingual.

Thanks for the help, im going to have to look for a quality sublingual DHEA that ships to Canada.

How much do you take and what were your before and after DHEA-S levels?

Did it increase your Estradiol or Estrone at all?

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
DHEA before was ~250

After 25mg/3 mos DHEA is ~375

I am shooting for ~400

Estradiol increased a little, but I was also on clomid for testosterone, so I believe that's why.

namtrag

namtrag

Awards
Mine started at 340, so I guess I should feel lucky it was that high.

My doc prefers I be at 600 or so

MacDonnell

Awards
DHEA before was ~250

After 25mg/3 mos DHEA is ~375

I am shooting for ~400

Estradiol increased a little, but I was also on clomid for testosterone, so I believe that's why.
LeanGuy,

What is the range? Ideally, should we be in the upper end of the range for DHEA as well?

Mac

namtrag

namtrag

Awards
LeanGuy,

What is the range? Ideally, should we be in the upper end of the range for DHEA as well?

Mac
Depends on the lab probably.

Labcorp range in my case was 107-745, I am not sure if it is by age or not.

I believe the protocol is to get you into the range of a normal 20 year old male's levels.

LeanGuy

LeanGuy

Awards
  • Established
LeanGuy,

Mac

My life extension test has 120-520 ug/dl, I don't think its age adjusted. I like to keep mine at 400-500

superone

Awards
  • Established
LOL, okay today i got a call back from the pharmacy and they said they made a mistake, and that a one month supply of 25mg micronized DHEA is only $25! Not $125.

I told them thats sounds a lot more reasonable lol, so im going to go with the pharmacies stuff, and compare it with another good quality brand i was recommended, and see if i feel a difference.

Thanks guys.

4aminsomniac

Awards
LOL, okay today i got a call back from the pharmacy and they said they made a mistake, and that a one month supply of 25mg micronized DHEA is only $25! Not $125.

I told them thats sounds a lot more reasonable lol, so im going to go with the pharmacies stuff, and compare it with another good quality brand i was recommended, and see if i feel a difference.

Thanks guys.
Great news..and makes more sense.

My Labcorp DHEA-S range was 95-530 ug/dL

Mine numbers were 157.

So my doc put me on a pharmaceutical compounding DHEA 25 M-F and 50MG M-F after 1st week.

Interesting that the ranges would be different with Labcorp.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

I take oral, and it hasn't done jack. HAN/Matrix claims transdermal is the way to go. But it's expensive. Perhaps I will start breaking my capsules and taking them sublingually.

Anyone have any more opinions on metabolization?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I take oral, and it hasn't done jack. HAN/Matrix claims transdermal is the way to go. But it's expensive. Perhaps I will start breaking my capsules and taking them sublingually.

You missing something else.

I was up to 300mg/day and my blood test was low on DHEA.

Now on 25mg/day of the same DHEA pills I am good.

Take no more than 25 -50mg/day

If blood show that you are low, look someplace else.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Jan, I am at 50 mg per day, slow release. As for transdermal, I got that from HAN, who I trust more than anyone else on these boards. He has intimated that some don't respond to oral, and, in any event, transdermal is superior. I'd like to hear other anecdotal evidence.

Thanks for feedback.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Jan, I am at 50 mg per day, slow release. As for transdermal, I got that from HAN, who I trust more than anyone else on these boards. He has intimated that some don't respond to oral, and, in any event, transdermal is superior. I'd like to hear other anecdotal evidence.

Thanks for feedback.
Transdermal will not raise blood dhea for some people but the main reason for it is to increase free testosterone as well as biounavailable. I did an experiment that all varaibles where identical my free t and bio where at low normal when i applied the trandermal dhea only 15 mgs a day my free and bio double to top end of normal but also my e2 went up in proportional as well. my dhea serum stayed about the same (low normal) I spoke to my compunding pharmacist and he said this is common occurance. Dhea transdermal for what every reason does not raise total testosternoe but makes what test there more available. I rolled out all variable supplements, ect to see what this stuff can do. After 4 weeks it was even but problem was people with e2 problems it can be a real ***** to control. Problem with trandermal its hard to monitor because it gets trapped in the skin and can act as a resevoir to mimic a slighly time released fashion. Dr john i believe uses this in his practice for specific problems, but do not quote me on this. The good dr mentioned that dhea transdermal is hard to measure via urine several times.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Transdermal will not raise blood dhea for some people but the main reason for it is to increase free testosterone as well as biounavailable. I did an experiment that all varaibles where identical my free t and bio where at low normal when i applied the trandermal dhea only 15 mgs a day my free and bio double to top end of normal but also my e2 went up in proportional as well. my dhea serum stayed about the same (low normal) I spoke to my compunding pharmacist and he said this is common occurance. Dhea transdermal for what every reason does not raise total testosternoe but makes what test there more available. I rolled out all variable supplements, ect to see what this stuff can do. After 4 weeks it was even but problem was people with e2 problems it can be a real ***** to control. Problem with trandermal its hard to monitor because it gets trapped in the skin and can act as a resevoir to mimic a slighly time released fashion. Dr john i believe uses this in his practice for specific problems, but do not quote me on this. The good dr mentioned that dhea transdermal is hard to measure via urine several times.

Thanks HAN. I guess I will just stick with oral then, as my T numbers are good on hCG monotherapy, and I dont want my E2 any higher, which is being controlled by Adex.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established

My DHEA sulfate used to be 112. I started on 50 MG prescription grade, but it didn't do the trick. For the last 18 months I've been on 75 MG every morning and I now test at 452.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My DHEA sulfate used to be 112. I started on 50 MG prescription grade, but it didn't do the trick. For the last 18 months I've been on 75 MG every morning and I now test at 452.
I would split it up 25 mgs AM, afternoon and evening to keep it steady in the body. One large dose is not effect ive as many smaller dosages. DHEA get used up by the body about every 6-8 hours so that is why multiple times is suggested during the day time..Also what brand where you using makes the biggest differnce

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
I would split it up 25 mgs AM, afternoon and evening to keep it steady in the body. One large dose is not effect ive as many smaller dosages. DHEA get used up by the body about every 6-8 hours so that is why multiple times is suggested during the day time..Also what brand where you using makes the biggest differnce
I draw blood on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Therefore my level was 452 almost exactly one day after my last dose. When I first started I argued your point with my doctor, but acquiesced to his dosing schedule. At this point it would be pointless to argue with success.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established

I have been looking into Dermacrine on Nutraplanet Site. This Transdermal is said to work very well compared to oral. I'm about to order some.:dance:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established

What did you change in order to have a greater effect with the same pills? Where do you suggest looking, for people not having success with the pills. I'm a little confused with this post.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
What did you change in order to have a greater effect with the same pills? Where do you suggest looking, for people not having success with the pills. I'm a little confused with this post.
He is saying the deficiency may be due to other factors.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He is saying the deficiency may be due to other factors.
Right, I understand that. But he was saying that the DHEA he was taking was disappearing somehow, and then later on, he was taking less of the same DHEA, and had higher levels.

What would cause this? I figured bioavailability is not going to change, unless you switch to a new med. What would cause this previously faster metabolization of DHEA supplementation (or hormone in general - for Anyman it was testosterone) and how could you fix that?. Why would the body not raise levels of something you are supplementing with? I understand the body's natural DHEA deficiency could be caused by adrenal issues, or via hpta suppression in general, but I wasn't aware of supplementation not working because of other issues.

Basically, I'm wondering what other issues could cause failure in someone's supplementation protocol, when all you are doing is replacing a bio-identical hormone. It's not like he was trying to raise his levels naturally. This is what confuses me.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for this evasive answer.
My TRT is optimized for a quite long time.
If I have to be more specific, I would say that it is probably due to my nutritional tests and following corrective action.

Last Monday I finally was able to complete my long waiting NutrEval test.

Recently I had hair analysis done, results posted here, post #33:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/77385-jansz-metabolic-analysis-2.html#post1390791

I will post also NutrEval results when I have them.
---------------------------------------------------
NutrEval test is hard on a doctor.
He have to have special equipment (centrifuge), and about 1.5 hr time to prepare sample for shipping.
So my doc was evasive at first when I was asking for this test.

Lets hope it is worth the effort.